New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 28 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default FR - Dauntless Dwarfs

Chapter 1: ~ KHANDRAKAAR ~

In darkness deep, we unearth the light
    of gem, and gold, and silver bright.
    Our swords are etched with golden rhymes.
    Our might with wealth is thus entwined.

Our axes gleam with amethyst.
    Our armor winks with emerald’s shine.
    And so our tombs will glitter thus.
    For this, our wealth, we’ll surely die.

Spoiler: What Came Before
    Show
    Mirabar is a mining city of great wealth located on the Sword Coast that stands on a knoll on the north banks of the River Mirar. On the surface, Mirabar is populated with squat stone buildings and a few stone towers. It is arranged in such a way as to provide great efficiency. Its walls are extremely thick and sloping, so as to allow water to be poured down them in the winter, which freezes to make them slippery. The area around the city is dotted with open mines and heaps of rock. Roads lead to its major mines in the Spine of the World mountains, which yield a wide range of metals and gemstones, so they are guarded against orc and monster raids by the Axe of Mirabar. The badge of Mirabar is a deep red double-bladed axe with a pointed haft and a flaring flat base, on a black field.

The city is occupied by 1600 shield dwarves who live underground near to their workshops, which produce metal goods for export in the region and beyond. The humans above cooperate with the dwarves to handle the mining, move the ore to market and defend the city against magical threats. Mirabar is ruled by a hereditary marchion, Elastul Raurym, but the true power is in an elected assembly called the Council of Sparkling Stones, a dwarven and human group that meets once a year to determine their production quotas and whether or not to threaten current clients with reduced output. It is led by the dwarven cleric of Dumathoin, Agrathan Hardhammer.

Spoiler: Tyrgurn & Raned
    Show
    A little over a month ago a letter arrived for you, directing you to come to Mirabar to claim an item left for you by your eccentric Uncle Gorlund. The letter bore your Uncle's mark and was signed by some functionary called the Register of Deeds. You traveled to Luskan, where you happened to make acquaintance with Raned Jadegut. He was friendly enough if a bit suspicious at first, and when you shared with him that you were traveling to Mirabar, he responded by saying, "Seems as good a destination as any". The next morning when you fell in with a wagon caravan headed up the Mirar Road to Mirabar, you were pleasantly surprised to see Raned. The two of you have traveled to Mirabar together. What you've shared with each other, and whether or not it was truthful is entirely up to you.

Spoiler: Daghealin and Brillga
    Show
    Daghealin came to Citadel Adbar 18 months ago searching for employ and was quickly hired by Agamm Copperhand, the head of a wealthy merchant consortium that dominated trade with numerous towns/cities throughout the Silver Marches. With the recent trade agreement signed between King Harbromm and Master Hedrande of Sundabar, Agamm was desperate to expand shipments as quickly as possible so as to maintain the dominant position of the consortium. The trip between Citadel Adbar and Sundabar was always a risky one and Daghealin came to relish the work and rush of a good fight with the numerous orcish raiding parties. As Agamm sought to expand his business farther he came to rely on Daghealin and her unique skill set more and more. On her first run to Silverymoon, Daghealin met Brillga Alesoul.

As a cleric of Berronar Truesilver, Brillga habitually referred to the dwarven population of Silverymoon as "her children" and was diligent about meeting and welcoming all dwarven travelers through the city. The two became true friends, and Daghealin looked forward with great anticipation to the occasional shipments to Silverymoon.

The day came that Agamm informed Daghealin that he had a special shipment that was destined for Mirabar, a dangerous and very long journey with a shipment that required special attention. To her surprise, when the shipment to Silverymoon was delivered, and all that remained was one wagon with four chests bound for Mirabar, Brillga asked if she could join 'Dag' and travel to Mirabar with her. The trip proved to be utterly uneventful, and Brillga seemed determined to convince Daghealin that she was destined for something more than caravan duty. Agamm departed two days ago greatly upset at Daghealin's decision. Although it's only been 48 hours, Dag has started questioning her decision to quit her job as she and 'Brill' have been idling about Mirabar.

Spoiler: Boris
    Show
    Boris Hilhamer wandered into Mirabar about 9 months ago. He's become a regular at "The Pickaxe", a well known tavern and inn patronized by adventure seekers come to Mirabar. He has a habit of falling in with the most dangerous and ill-fated ventures into The Spine of the World mountains and Lurkwood forest. He has been seen on occasion exiting the chapel of Hanseath after returning from these adventures, and is fond of saying, "Perhaps this day is the day." No one has any idea what he's talking about, and while he's seen as a bit of an oddity, the people of Mirabar have grown quite fond of him. When he's not 'adventuring' he spends his days sliding into booths at The Pickaxe looking for what he calls "the next story".

Spoiler: 6th of Highsun - The Pickaxe, Mirabar
    Show
    The tavern was beginning to fill up late in the afternoon. Dag and Brill sit together at a table adjacent to a booth where Raned sits slowly sipping his ale waiting for his friend to conclude his business. Across the room Boris excuses himself from a conversation with a couple of human woodsmen. Tyrgurn enters carrying something wrapped in sackcloth. Spotting Raned he waves, stops at the bar, orders an ale, then slides into the booth across from his friend, "Three hours! Three hours arguing with some stuffy bureaucrat trying to convince him that I am who I say I am, and that Gorlund was, in fact, my Uncle! Damn fool wouldn't even acknowledge it was his signature on this letter. For what?"

Whipping off the cloth, he tosses an iron shod walking stick onto the table, "For my crazy Uncle's walking stick! He only ever carried it as an affectation, there was nothing wrong with his leg."

The look of exasperation fades from his face, replaced with genuine concern, "Nobody's seen him in over a year, and he left instructions that this be passed on to me if he 'didn't return'."

Running his finger along the length of the oddly shaped walking stick, "You know, Uncle always claimed that this was dragon bone, but I'm not so sure."

Brillga and Daghealin can clearly overhear the conversation. Daghealin doesn't know how she knows, but she knows for fact that the walking stick isn't dragon bone. Brillga is suddenly struck by an overwhelming urge to speak to the two young men. At that moment Boris slides into the booth next to Raned and slides a mug across the table to Tyrgurn, "thought I would bring you your ale, Claere's knee's been actin' up again - be best if she remained behind the bar. What brings you two to Mirabar?"
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-05-28 at 04:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: FR - Dauntless Dwarves

Slamming her mug down on the table, now empty of its contents (dwarven "holy water") Daghealin Bronzeheart lets out a great sigh as she looks out the window imagining the adventures she could still be having had she not let Brrilga talk her out of it. I guess Truesilver thinks sitting on my romp while others could be dying that I could save is important. she says inwardly, more annoyed at how bored she had been the past two days, then at her friend. "You know, we could always try and catch up to Agamm, tell him it was all a big joke. I am sure we could make him cry seeing our faces." the fiery haird dwarven woman said to her friend trying to convince her that maybe they had taken the wrong path on their search for destiny when she overheard the obnoxious man talking about some twig.

"Either your uncle was a fool and got conned or he was telling a young boy a story, either way it is a family heirloom, be happy you have something to remember yours from. Also the things not real dragon bone, I have seen a dragon, and I can tell you their bones are as strong as steel and wouldn't go into such an odd shape like that." Daghealin says out loud, who knows a good bar brawl would at least distract her for now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"You're probably right lass my uncle was always the fool got himself swindled by a gnome once he did never was quite right in the head."Tygurn takes ample time studying everyone in the bar under is visor-ed head.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Well you never know it may be useful at some point. Maybe it acts as a key to a secret vault that contains your real inheritance. Or it could be a useless piece of wood with sentimental value. Raned breaks off a piece of the bread and holds it near his neck. In a quick blur of motion his weasel sticks his head out and grabs the bread. Raned takes a swig of his ale.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Boris

Unlike many of his kind, Boris always welcomed newcomers. With new people came new challenges. New threats. Each day he came closer to a doom worthy of a dwarf.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Noticing the strange Draconic markings most would put off as simple wizard script or decoration Daghealin gets up and walks over to the table. "The wood may not be made from a dragon, but the script you see all across the walkingstick, that is written in the tongue of Dragons. Something many spellcasters like to use as it is a language of power, do you know if your uncle knew magic?" She asks the man as she tries to read the script if she is not stopped from picking the item up.

7. - Top - End - #7

ElfRangerGuy

Not as far as I'm aware lass as he gestures towards the walking stick. Thing does sound hollow.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Daghealin and Brillga approach the table as Tyrgurn taps the 'walking stick' to demonstrate that he believes it sounds to be hollow.

Tyrgurn truly has no idea whether his eccentric Uncle was capable of casting spells or even comprehending the strange Dragon tongue, but Gorlund was a 'dabbler' in all sorts of oddities and a collector of strange tales.

When Daghealin picks up the elaborately engraved cane she reads aloud the script, turning it slowly in her hands.

"Tip tap. Tap tip. One two, turn the screw. One two, turn the screw."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-01-05 at 09:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Boris

In his quest for a Worthy Doom, Boris made more than one rash decision. The most obvious being the sale of his worthless soul...

Magic, says you?

Taking his innate "gift" to sense magic, Boris peers at the staff.

Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    As for the sale of my soul? That is another story. One I shall not share today.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Briilga smiled in motherly and patient way. "Just enjoy the journey, Dag dear" she patted her shoulder.
    "You see? We already in luck! So many of my children here." she cooed.
    "But I would be very thankful, if you could remind me, your name deary?" she turned to Tyrgurn.

She waited patiently as Dag and Boris studied the stuff.
    "Need any help, Dag dear?"
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

As Daghealin reads the inscription, Boris leans forward to study the walking stick intently.

Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    There appears to be nothing magical about the cane.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-01-04 at 07:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

"tip tap. Tap Tip. One two turn the screw. One two turn the screw." So is there a screw on it?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"I doubt it would be so obvious to find if there were as anyone able to read draconic could simply try." she says looking over the rhyme a bit before looking at the owner of the stick. "You could try tipping it over and tapping the end, tap it again before tipping it back over and trying to twist the top of the stick. Doubt it will be that easy though. After all it could mean tap the end you just tipped over onto the ground, or tap the end that is now facing you. Or it could be a puzzel in which you have to tap the words meaning tap, and somehow tip the words that mean tip. Perhaps than something will appear you can unscrew." Daghealin points out to the owner of the walking stick as she feels her friends hand on her shoulder.

"Didn't know you had given birth in your young age, and to older people no less." the dragon shaman joked as she looked at the strange walking stick. "Up to you, I am merely being a translator as I have nothing better to do at the moment." she replies.

Spoiler: If possible wisdom or Int check for a hint
    Show

(1d20)[2]
    I have an idea, as stated of what may work. However that is my best guesses unless this says anything different.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Brrilga chuckled. "Motherhood is more than mere physical connection. " she leaned forward looking at the staff.
    " Let me take a look, deary. Draconian Eh? What an interesting riddle."

Spoiler: Wis roll if possible?
    Show

(1d20+4)[19](19)

------
    My previouse Avater

15. - Top - End - #15

ElfRangerGuy

Tygurn hands the walking stick over to the others and looks at it as well.
    [spoiler=int and wisdom check] (1d20+2)[8] Int
    wis (1d20+1)[21]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

As the walking stick is passed around the table, and Dag offers up her theory, Tyrgurn notices a well-dressed, middle-aged man with a neatly trimmed beard sitting at the bar observing the unexpected gathering of dwarves.

When Raned gets his turn with the cane, he notices that the iron shod end of the cane(which should be much more worn and scuffed than it is) has the slightest bit of 'play' in either direction. Holding the stick in one hand and the iron tip between his thumb and forefinger he shows the others that the shoe turns ever so slightly back and forth before stopping and refusing to turn further.

Boris informs the group that the cane appears to be completely mundane, from its slightly knobbed handle to its iron shod tip. Brillga and Tyrgurn both feel that there is some truth in Daghealin's theory.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe we should take a better look, dearies." Brrilga said with a calm smile.
    "What is the story of d'a stick? Where it came from?"

------
    My previouse Avater

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfRangerGuy

"Honestly don't know much bout it than me uncle used it as walking stick."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"That a real shame, sonny." Brillga said with a sigh.
    "But maybe if could you, tell more about your uncle's past.. We might learn something." She has offered with a warm smile, sipping more ale.

------
    My previouse Avater

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"Tip tap. Tap tip. One two, turn the screw. One two, turn the screw."
    Picking up the walking stick the fire haired dwarven woman annoyed with all the talking tests a theory as she tries to tip the word tap to its side if the word in the draconic tongue would move, while tapping the word tip. Once finished doing that she counts to two before turning the nob at the top to the left, counting another two seconds before turning it to the right.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

When Daghealin takes the stick and begins working through her theory, she first discerns that the cane is definitely hollow, but is firmly convinced there is something inside. Turning the tip of the cane she feels that it turns enough that the tip must fit over a threaded end, but it only turns a bit before it stops. However, as she's trying to turn it she feels that it also has some give up and down...as if the tip is spring loaded.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2017-01-06 at 05:49 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Noticing that the tip had more play then when she first thought she pushes the tip down after turning it, followed by turning it again before trying to pull the tip out fully.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Pushing the tip down, Daghealin hears and feels something click into place, then the iron shod tip extends out a tiny bit further than it originally did, but alas it turns no further.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

May I have a crack at it? I'm sorry I don't think I know your name. I may have picked up a trick or two when dealing with odd items.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"So long as the owner does not mind, though it seems I have already begun opening the puzzelbox." Daghealin says looking to the owner to make sure it was okay to hand over before carefully doing so, incase something inside was fragile. She had a funny feeling though that all that was left would be pushing the item down again and twisting it once more. "The name is Daghealin Bronzeheart by the way, former caravan guard until my friend Brrilga Alesoul over here talked me into sitting in this town waiting for adventure. In all honesty this is the most enjoyment I have had in the past two days." The surprisingly light skinned dwarf replied, introducing her friend who kept on acting like everyone was her child which might scare a few or attract the wrong kind of people depending on the situation.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

My name is Raned Jadegut, wanderer extraordinaire. Lets see what we got here.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Search to see if I can use my disable device skill to take it apart, hopefully without breaking it, and make sure its not trapped
    (1d20+7)[20]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"I take it you simply stopped in town to restock up on supplies than and will be heading out soon?" Daghealin asks, a hint of adventure lust seeking into her voice as she speaks. It is clear sitting in a bar for the past two days was driving the woman mad, and if she didn't get to do something soon she would probably start a bar fight one of these days.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Raned studies the walking stick intently for several moments, turning it slowly checking the weight before moving onto the iron shod tip. He tests the resistance of the tip against his finger tips for a moment. He nods to himself for a moment, and then turns the tip back and pushes back in to it's original position.

Sliding out to the edge of the both, he holds the walking stick in his hand and the taps the tip on the ground ounce, pauses, then twice. Lifting the end he turns the tip three turns clockwise before it stops. He then taps the tip on the ground once, pauses, then twice; lifts the end and turns the tip three times counter clockwise. The iron tip comes free of the walking stick, and he places it on the table.

What appears to be a tightly rolled, lengthy piece of parchment slides out of the end of the cane onto the table.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

So it seems my orginal idea was the right one. Or this could be like one of those gnome riddle boxes that have many different hidden compartments as the way I was opening it was also working. She notes, before looking to the owner. Well it seems like you don't need us anymore, though if you wouldn't mind could I look at the scroll with you? Perhaps if it is a treasure map or something you could find use of my unique skills.

30. - Top - End - #30

Boris

Boris is pleased to see the staff deciphered, as he isn't much for puzzling. That strikes him as gnomish. He is more the whittle and charge headlong into the jaws of death type.

Not magic, some kinda wooden contraption.

"I've done my bit. What's the scroll say?"