New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Spontaneous Superpower Scenario

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    378: Mass owl's wisdom: Only a +4, but you've got to do what you can to help stave off the stupidity encroaching on the masses.
    I dunno if you want to do that. With large groups of low intelligence low wisdom people suddenly get a brief period of insight and realize how stupid they are, we might get a wave of mass suicides.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    I dunno if you want to do that. With large groups of low intelligence low wisdom people suddenly get a brief period of insight and realize how stupid they are, we might get a wave of mass suicides.
    It's like bleaching out the gene pool.

I don't see any downsides to your comment.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

It's like bleaching out the gene pool.

I don't see any downsides to your comment.
    Send em my way. Could always use more wererat fodder.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Magic Circle Against Evil, or Circle Of Death...I think the former would be more useful in my day-to-day life.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mostly, +4 wisdom improved the wages of everyone working a Profession skill.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I got guidance, so I wouldn't really see it affecting much. I guess I would just be around people and make them a little bit luckier, but not in a way that was noticeable. It is not like I would put on a super-hero costume and call myself Placebo Man. ;)

I suppose if I found out someone else had it, I might consider hiring them to "help" people (like performers and athletes) do slightly statistically better than they would otherwise do, but I can't think of much else to do with someone with that power.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Murder? That spell creates life! It would also spread lycanthropy throughout the world. People would be gifted with a higher wisdom, DR, and a free fur coat! It could save lives. Sure, a few would have to make the sacrafice, but we could just use brain dead coma patients, and people who use cellphones while driving.
    Uh no. It litteraly makes a bunch of rats explode out of your chest. Thats just evil...

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Novolin View Post
    Uh no. It litteraly makes a bunch of rats explode out of your chest. Thats just evil...
    Said rats could be used to turn other people into wererats, though.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Where do you roll?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Where do you roll?
    I use this.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Where do you roll?
    https://www.random.org

Roll from 1 to 912.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

No, it causes 1d6 fully grown people to come fourth from a single person. What is more Good than bringing new life into the world? Or are wererats not people enough?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

No, it causes 1d6 fully grown people to come fourth from a single person. What is more Good than bringing new life into the world? Or are wererats not people enough?
    Those wererats are always LE, though, and anyone infected with that lycanthropy will also become LE eventually.

So giving everyone superpowers is pretty sweet, but they're all gonna be jerks.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

I'm going to do a few more.

Roll No. 17: Bear's Endurance, Mass
    Something to help out my overweight best friend who can't run for more than two minutes, I guess.

Roll No. 18: Slay Living
    Well, I don't plan on murdering anyone anytime soon, so this is useless.

Roll No. 19: Call to Mind
    It's certainly fun to dredge up long-lost memories, and helpful in tests.

Roll No. 20: Statue
    Somehow, I can't imagine any scenario where I'd prefer to be a statue.

Roll No. 21: Minor Image
    Now this is fun. I can mess with people all day. Things like hiding doors, putting blank computer screens over people's computers, misleading signs...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Those wererats are always LE, though, and anyone infected with that lycanthropy will also become LE eventually.

So giving everyone superpowers is pretty sweet, but they're all gonna be jerks.
    Meh. Always never means always, and alignments can be changed.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

No, infected lycanthropes have an actual mechanic where they are forced into that alignment. You have to make a will save everytime you involuntarily transform, and if you fail you're LE, and the DC keeps increasing even if you make it. Willing changing shape makes you LE automatically.

And non-x alignment of Always X races are "rare or unique examples." And they would still have to make that save every-time they transformed.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2017-01-07 at 12:19 AM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Everyone will be LE, though, so no one will have an incentive to be anything but LE. Basically, you turn Earth into the Nine Hells.

18. - Top - End - #108

I'd rather use the intelligent spell with that same name that gives the target lycanthropy, rather than the stupid one..

Constantly juggling back and forth as to which one is "canon" was just as stupid, IMO.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2017-01-07 at 12:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd rather use the intelligent spell with that same name that gives the target lycanthropy, rather than the stupid one..

Constantly juggling back and forth as to which one is "canon" was just as stupid, IMO.
    Was there juggling? As far as I know the SpC version is the latest, and therefore takes precedence.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Was there juggling? As far as I know the SpC version is the latest, and therefore takes precedence.
    There are two entirely different spells that just happen to have the same name, and the authors at WotC kept alternating which one took precedence through republishing each of them, and the one that creates entirely new, fully sapient, and besouled beings out of basically nothing as a lowish level spell just happened to be the last one on the roster. I don't even think either author even knew that the other version existed.

The version that gives you lycanthropy is really cool, while the other is pretty dumb on a large number of levels.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2017-01-07 at 12:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

There are two entirely different spells that just happen to have the same name, and the authors at WotC kept alternating which one took precedence through republishing each of them, and the one that creates entirely new, fully sapient, and besouled beings out of basically nothing as a lowish level spell just happened to be the last one on the roster. I don't even think either author even knew that the other version existed.

The version that gives you lycanthropy is really cool, while the other is pretty dumb on a large number of levels.
    The version that distributes lycanthropy is busted as hell, because it has barely any limits on the kind of lycanthropy it can give, and can be removed very easily. Toggling lycanthropy is a common tactic for HD abuse, and making yourself or others into brown bears or something is a great way to get a huge power boost. Bring all the skeletons you want, here's my army of LG brown bear commoners.

And as far as I can tell there was no alternating. Defends of the Faith(3.0)(2001) had the version that distributed lycanthropy, Complete Divine(2004) reprinted that version with no changes, and then Spell Compendium(2005) updated it to the version that creates wererats. That's not really alternating, that's just replacing a broken spell, something SpC did quite a bit of.

22. - Top - End - #112

It's not like toggling lycanthropy is very hard anyway. You have repeatable infection vectors and repeatable means of curing it.

Wasn't the wererat version in an OA supplement, or something?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2017-01-07 at 12:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

So let's see what I rolled.

647: Body Equilibrium.

Eh, actually not that bad. It's useless most of the time, but it could be a real lifesaver.

205: Fire Storm.

If I wanted to be a superhero, I'd have won the superpower lottery... As it is, meh. Not bad, but I don't really need it.

529: Suggestion

I dunno, mind control rubs me the wrong way, but it really could be useful.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

First roll: 8. At-will 3.5 version of Alter Self? Heck yeah, I'm keeping that! And it fits my choice from that other thread where I chose Transmuter as my level 1 character class!

I think I'd keep this pretty quiet and spend a lot of time figuring out what I can and can't do. Is using the power subtle like Mystique or loud and flashy like a He-Man transformation? I imagine there would be a big learning curve. I don't think I would begin a life of crime but having 30 minutes of flight per use would definitely be fun (and maybe helpful) once I work up the nerve.

If I were an official type and found out someone had *this* power, I'd be equal parts intrigued and concerned. I'd figure out if they were committing crimes. If so, intervene as appropriate (people have rights). Otherwise, I'd see if they're interested in a career in law enforcement. If I were just a random wealthy person with a philanthropic streak, I'd ask if they were interested in finding out if the ability could somehow benefit others. In either case, if they're not interested, leave them alone.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If I could choose- Reality Revision. It would only affect my life if I wanted it to. I would make anything I want happen for the most part. I could even alter people's memories and reality itself to make it so my ability is hidden.

Random - I rolled Searing Light... I'd keep it mostly secret while I found out how it worked, possibly even inventing my own self-charging power source. :)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

276 - Horrid Wilting. I really don't want to dehydrate anyone to death, thanks.
    561 - Symbol of Weakness. Non-lethal, but what to do with it other than be a "richard"?
    72 - Chill Metal. So I have my own permanent inexhaustible ice-maker. Or I go around giving people frostbite, just because.
    410 - Programmed Image. That's a keeper. I can not only set up the most amazing theatre in history and make a ton of money, but my own private dwelling is as secure as I like since no-one can even find their way through it unless I want them to. Takes me a little work every day to set up the theatre show, but firing off an SLA isn't exactly strenuous.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Note that having high-level SLAs means you meet the CL prereqs for many item creation feats, allowing you to get a little more versatility and millage out of it.

---

Blah blah wishing myself to 50+int/wis and giving everyone everywhere magic rings that cast heal every round; also kittens blah blah.

---

Random rolling through the 3 lists though (spells, powers, and a 3rd roll for both):

550 Summon swarm: This conjures the swarm briefly into existence, so you couldn't eliminate or harvest existing pests with it. Now, magic items created with this SLA would be exceedingly useful, as they could control / eliminate / manage vermin of all sorts, both for population control (disease-laden rats and mosquitoes, i.e. the Pied Piper) or for greatly enhanced resource management, allowing for new industries (spider silk) or eliminating world hunger outright (roach farming, agriculture).

698 Dimension door, psionic: Hop 720' as a move action that uses your remaining actions that round. That's ~80mph if you push it for the whole hour. If you hop straight up, you'd fall ~600' the first round, with terminal velocity being around ~1100-1800'/round, assuming momentum is conserved. Admittedly, this is all far less impressive than before I pulled out the calculator, though a good wingsuit could reduce my falling speed to 180'/round and effectively let me fly ~200mph, so long as I spend ~15 minutes/hour 'climbing'. And while the original 80 mph doesn't seem like much, being able to get places you ordinarily couldn't (mountaintops) or travel in straight lines (hopping from roof to roof in a city) would be both very useful and very fun.

98 Control water: Spamming this could create or destroy a lot of water, aiding in flood prevention or droughts. Admittedly, the first thing that came to mind was using it on a space shuttle, or somewhere like Mars. Again, very magic-item-able (decanter of endless water or its desiccating equivalent) to solve all sorts of problems and give all sorts of engineers a wonderful new tool to play with.

2nd set:

604 Wall of force: Rnd/lvl duration is a shame, but you could still create smaller walls as infinitely sharp cutting tools, use them as 90' long build-as-you-go bridges to travel anywhere (so long as you don't get too distracted). And screwing with people, of course, 'cause who says mimes should have all the fun. Magic item creation would allow you to make permanent or portable walls, which would be ridiculously awesome both personally, and from an engineering standpoint.

866 Teleport, psionic greater: Yes. Yes please. Live anywhere (so long as the rent is cheap :P), go anywhere, even other planets (breathable atmosphere sold separately). Do anything...just yes. I likely wouldn't live terribly long with this, as I doubt I could resist (for instance) trying to put organized criminals out of business by robbing them blind, or otherwise putting a bullseye on my back.

820 Null psionics field: ...I mean, if I can't have any fun, I'm sure as heck not going to let anyone else have any either.
    Last edited by Shalist; 2017-01-07 at 03:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Colossus in the Playground

18. Antilife shell. I can't think of anything I'd want that for.
    Second roll. 841. Psionic repair damage. As far as I can tell, unusable unless someone invents a golem in real life. Possibly with some use in the field of robotics.
    Third roll. 661. Claw of energy. Unusable unless I somehow gain claws. Stop me if you're sensing a theme.
    Fourth roll. 281. Illusory script. I can write in unbreakable code that the person I'm trying to communicate with is guaranteed to understand immediately; I also have a written-rather-than-spoken version of Suggestion. Not bad. I can think of things to do with that.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's the version from Spell Compendium.

Complete Divine has a Curse of Lycanthropy that turns a person into a lycanthrope. You can choose what sort of lycanthrope they become -- the spell version makes the selection based on the material component, but since this is a spell-like ability without material components, you presumably get to choose.

There are few restrictions (it's got to be a predator, and it can't be larger than a bear), and the payoff is potentially awesome.

For instance, I can use this to curse myself to be a were-couatl. I gain +8 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Int, +10 Wis, and +6 Cha. I need to make a DC15 Wisdom check to gain conscious control over my form, at which point I cast spells like a level 9 sorcerer (with a much widened spell list). Then I can give other people this same advantage by biting them. They can give still others the same advantage by biting them. And Remove Curse, which everyone afflicted can access as a third-level spell and cast seven times a day, can cure those who don't want to be werecouatls anymore.

Compare to, say, Bestow Curse (which lets you invent curses on the order of a 6-point stat change or a 4-point skill modifier). That's vaguely comparable in some of its effects, but it doesn't scale. If I want to make everyone on Earth have a better time, I'd have to put forth a lot of thought to determine how to make that happen. I'd have to worry about being as efficient as possible. With Curse of Lycanthropy, I just curse everyone who asks and suddenly they're better at everything.

The largest downside of this scenario is that lycanthropy affects people's alignments. This means you have to be careful what forms you choose and afflict volunteers only. Unless you're chaotic evil, in which case pick a random creature every time.
    Last edited by dhasenan; 2017-01-07 at 06:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since we're doing three rolls:

226, Gaseous Form. Flight and the ability to escape from confined spaces, as long as it's not too breezy. Fun, and maybe I'll get over my fear of heights. But if someone noticed me, that could cause significant problems, and I would quickly find myself wishing that I lived in more enlightened times.

254, Haste. Handy for my commute. I might be noticed, but as someone running, nothing mystical. And it would let me spend less time cleaning. A minor convenience.

391, Planar Binding. I'd like to say I'd summon a Noble Djinni and start bargaining, but Noble Djinni weren't part of the scenario.

If I read it in an over-literal fashion, I can use it to make travel nicer for others: I stand in an airport lounge and Planar Binding first class passengers from their planes. When their planes land, I dismiss them and they return to the planes I summoned them from. It's a premium service that only I can offer, and I can charge several thousand dollars per head over expenses. It's just unfriendly to my sleep schedule. It also assumes that sending the people back where they came from prioritizes the plane and not the tarmac -- some experimentation required.