Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1471

Thread: Outside 45

1. - Top - End - #1261
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Outside 45

[Practice Grounds]

Electra nods, then goes on.

"Now extend the weapon with your right arm, so you can see down the sights." She does this, with her empty hand curled into a fist. Fayyaad probably notes that the weapon he has doesn't have much for sights, just an odd piece on top of the end of the barrel that could be classified as a sight of sorts. "Lock your elbow, then take your other hand like so." She places her left hand over her right, thumbs together and pointing at the target. "Now, you push forwards with your right hand, and pull back with your left. This helps stabilize your grip. You should be able to get on target with a steady aim, now." She drops her pose once she's satisfied that he's got it down enough that he doesn't need the visual reference, and takes a couple steps back, moving closer to him at the same time. "Once you've got your target sighted, you press the trigger back smoothly, and that's all there is to it."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    The Undertower

"Iiiii think," Naku comments to Cherie, as she slides her earmuffs off, since the creature stopped. "we should probably walk faster.

Hey, Devero!"
    She calls up to the dragonymanperson, "we should just keep going past it!" She yells up to him, hopefully loud enough to be heard, as she just picks up the pace a bit, and starts walking towards whatever's past the creature. Hopefully an exit.
    Naku's tall enough that, even without running, her stride eats up distance when she starts truly moving, so they should pass the creature fairly quickly.
    The Undertower

Devero's enlarged figure remains in the air with his wings calmly, yet powerfully flapping through the wind. It's clear that Devero was completely familiar with his abnormal ability to transform, and his capabilities as a dragon.

The moment Naku calls, his enhanced senses catch her voice. His sharp reptilian eyes gaze down on her, seeing her clearly even though he was so far off in the sky.

With one swift motion his wings curl inwards, wrapping around him as he begins to fall, and shift his body so he's upside down.

As he draws near Naku and Cherie, his wings instantly extend outwards as his enlarged figure sweeps down beside them, and follows their pace on foot as his wings curl back in behind him.

Despite his speed, Devero's footsteps are quite loud because of his enlarged claw-like feet. He keeps his eyes focused on the path ahead, but his enhanced senses would make it easy for him to notice if the beasts would try to attack them.
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-07-19 at 03:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

Tower Precipice

With the paladin down for a moment, this gives Nimnarath enough time to dodge the arrow. He then locks into a defensive stance, either waiting for Steve to strike or Luvon to shoot another arrow at him.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-07-19 at 11:16 PM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

[Practice Grounds]

Fayyaad follows Electra's instruction as best he can, before firing. The shot doesn't quite hit the mark, instead leaving a deep gouge in the ground. I'm not sure how destructive it'd actually be. But it's not bad for a first try.

"It's interesting to be on the delivering side of it this time."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #1265

NinjaGuy

[Practice Grounds]

When Fayyaad fires, the weapon seems to buck in his hand before producing a massive, blue-white beam of energy, easily as tall as he is, and at least that wide. Electra's instructions helped him keep the recoil from the weapon under control, but he quickly learns why the weapon doesn't really have sights per se: it doesn't need them. Fayyaad's shot may have missed hitting the tree dead-on, but it hardly matters, as there's now a wide, smoking line in the ground from where he's standing back through the line of trees on the other side of the clearing. The line of destruction includes the tree he was aiming at, though the scorched ditch is deeper than it should be in front of where the tree once was. Despite the destruction, Electra seems unsurprised by the weapon's power.

"Not bad for your first time, but you hit low. I couldn't tell if it was a grip issue or an aiming issue with the way that thing jumped in your hands. I wouldn't have thought it would have that much recoil." She smiles at him. "Wanna try again? Or would you like to practice with something a little easier to control?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Tower Precipice

With the paladin down for a moment, this gives Nimnarath enough time to dodge the arrow. He then locks into a defensive stance, either waiting for Steve to strike or Devero to shoot another arrow at him.
    Steve puts his shield hand palm up and extends it all the way out. He then prays "Bringer of Light, please drive away the creature of death." (Turn Undead) If Steve is successful, the lich will feel the need to run or will freeze up in fear. If he is incredibly successful, Nimnarath should start melting.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Undertower

Cherie sighs as the creature breathes its fire, then she looks towards her two companions. "Why don't you two go on ahead? I shall have a talk with this one." With that, she turns towards the colossal beast, keeping her rapier pointed at it. "Go find that whatever-it-is."

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

[Practice Grounds]

Fayyaad nods. The weapon's sheer power is clearly humbling him.

"I... think something easier might be in order, yes. This is far too powerful a weapon to entrust to a novice. We don't even know what the other ammunition does."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #1269

NinjaGuy

[Practice Grounds]

Electra smiles at him, and reaches into a holster concealed in the small of her back, before drawing a matte black handgun. It's a rather common 1911 pattern pistol, in its classic caliber of .45ACP, though this one is a Commander version, and has a shorter barrel. She keeps the muzzle pointed down and away from Fayyaad.

"Tell you what. I'll trade you while you're learning. You learn to shoot with this, and once you're tired, I'll shoot the other shells you want to test out of that." She nods at his weapon. "That way, you'll know what each one does, and you won't have to worry about trying to learn to shoot at the same time. And we'll trade back when we're done. Deal?" She grins at him, an inquisitive eyebrow raised.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ogre in the Playground

Undertower

Those who try to get past the creature find its tail swinging at them at incredible speeds.

A booming voice fill the forest, and says: Have a talk you say? Do your best, hedge mage!

The snake head then glares at Naku, and continues: And I am not a dog with which you may coo over!
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

11. - Top - End - #1271

Undertower

Those who try to get past the creature find its tail swinging at them at incredible speeds.

A booming voice fill the forest, and says: Have a talk you say? Do your best, hedge mage!

The snake head then glares at Naku, and continues: And I am not a dog with which you may coo over!
    Undertower

Just briefly before the tail collides with at least Naku -- though possibly Cherie, dependent upon how close she was --, Naku makes a quick little back step, and flicks a hand in a sort of rising gesture. This gesture causes a ramp of ice to form in front of her, and hopefully deflect the oncoming tail swipe up just enough that it flies overtop of the two.
    "Not a dog. Sure. I can agree with that. But you are pretty adorable~
    Though, I will respect your wishes and stop objectifying you. That is actually quite rude of me, and I apologize.

Awwww~"
    Naku might be respecting its wish to not be coo'd over, but this is for it attacking, not it being cute. "Cherie, I think it wants to play!"
    Last edited by Mee; 2017-07-21 at 12:19 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Pixie in the Playground

[Undertower]

Devero sticks low as its tail would hopefully sweep over them due to the ice ramp. He then swiftly reaches into his pouch, and brings out the pendant of a red moon with glowing stars shooting back and forth which he wears around his neck.

"Regardless of how adorable it is, I don't plan to be on the defensive as it continues to play rough."
    "Be careful!" he yells back at Cherie wondering if it'd be wise to leave her to face it alone since Devero thought he was the obvious choice to be the distraction.

"Let us pass, and we will be on our way!" Devero roars out to the beast above as the enlarged dragon-humanoid figure sticks by Naku's side. His eyes dart through the burning forest, clearly aware of the fact that he saw three of those creatures when they first entered The Undertower.

"We need to find this orb fast," he whispers to Naku whilst preparing himself for the unexpected, "I'm certain that the others could be watching us at this very moment."
    Last edited by Lazorath; 2017-07-21 at 09:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tower Precipice

With the paladin down for a moment, this gives Nimnarath enough time to dodge the arrow. He then locks into a defensive stance, either waiting for Steve to strike or Luvon to shoot another arrow at him.
    The ranger shoots another anti-magic arrow at the lich's neck. It should do better because of Steve's help.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

Tower Precipice

Ha! You think your pathetic attempts at magic can- the lich is stopped short when another arrow is lodged into his throat.

Note to self: stop pontificating.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Troll in the Playground

Tower Precipice

Ha! You think your pathetic attempts at magic can- the lich is stopped short when another arrow is lodged into his throat.

When Nimnarath stops talking, Steve rushes at the lich and attempts to grab him by the shoulders. If he succeeds, he would have dropped his sword and shield and prays "Bringer of Justice, please give me the power to destroy the servants of darkness." (Smite Evil) his gauntlets will start glowing and then he will attempt to punch the lich in the face.
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tower Precipice

The ranger decides to pull out his two steel short swords for a minute and attack the lich from the side.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

((Welp, sorry for missing this one.))

[Practice Grounds]

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    Electra smiles at him, and reaches into a holster concealed in the small of her back, before drawing a matte black handgun. It's a rather common 1911 pattern pistol, in its classic caliber of .45ACP, though this one is a Commander version, and has a shorter barrel. She keeps the muzzle pointed down and away from Fayyaad.

"Tell you what. I'll trade you while you're learning. You learn to shoot with this, and once you're tired, I'll shoot the other shells you want to test out of that." She nods at his weapon. "That way, you'll know what each one does, and you won't have to worry about trying to learn to shoot at the same time. And we'll trade back when we're done. Deal?" She grins at him, an inquisitive eyebrow raised.
    "That works for me," Fayyaad says. "Should I apply all the things you've just showed me?"

18. - Top - End - #1278

Undertower

Cherie tried to slide closer to the ramp to keep under the tail, but she ends up sliding right into Naku instead. How did she do that? For that matter, how did she slip on a forest floor?

In any case, she looks at Naku, assuming she broke her sliding, and says "Why, thank you for saving me, good lady," complete with a wink. Then she steps away and faces the creature again.

"Hedge mage? Do I look like an alchemist to you? No matter, I shall make my offer, plain as can be. Let us through to the phe-phi-the whatever. Let us get there, and I won't destroy you."

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

Undertower

I shall not allow you to destroy the sanctity of this garden. I have defended this spot for many thousands of years, and shall defend it for thousands more long after your deaths! shouts the creature, taking a defensive stance.

- - - Updated - - -

Tower Precipice

The lich is grabbed, and the steel swords sink into the lich's flank. However they seem to stick, and are stuck there. Nimnarath then proceeds to kick Steve the paladin in the, um, unmentionables.

20. - Top - End - #1280

NinjaGuy

[Practice Grounds]

Electra nods.

"Yes, but this one's semi-automatic, where yours is a single-shot, so you don't need to reload between trigger pulls. It's also got a much shorter accurate range." She points to a tree behind them, a scant 10 meters or so, grasping the weapon by its barrel and offering the grip to Fayyaad, keeping the muzzle pointed away from herself. "Safety is where your thumb falls, so be careful. Otherwise, the grip and stance are the same."

21. - Top - End - #1281

Undertower

I shall not allow you to destroy the sanctity of this garden. I have defended this spot for many thousands of years, and shall defend it for thousands more long after your deaths! shouts the creature, taking a defensive stance.
    Undertower

Naku looks up at the beast. Then she blinks a few times. Then she starts to giggle a bit, in understanding.
    "Nope, all right. I understand now. Come on you two. Especially you." She says, first looking down at Cherie with a bit of a smile on her face, then over to Devero. "If it could have stopped us, it would have tried by now.
    We're fine. I don't think it can stop us.

Now as for you, don't think I'm ignoring you."
    Naku says, looking back up at the creature. "Tell you what. We'll come back for you and get you outta here, if that's what you'd like. We're gonna go past you now though, for realzies." With that, Naku starts walking forwards again.

What, uh, what is past the creature? Just more plains? Eventually it has to end, right?
    Not that I imagine it'll let them past, I'm just honestly curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Cherie tried to slide closer to the ramp to keep under the tail, but she ends up sliding right into Naku instead. How did she do that? For that matter, how did she slip on a forest floor?

In any case, she looks at Naku, assuming she broke her sliding, and says "Why, thank you for saving me, good lady," complete with a wink. Then she steps away and faces the creature again.

"Hedge mage? Do I look like an alchemist to you? No matter, I shall make my offer, plain as can be. Let us through to the phe-phi-the whatever. Let us get there, and I won't destroy you."
    Oopsies! How clumsy!
    Of course Naku broke her sliding. Naku's the best barricade!
    "You are very welcome. Do be careful of ice though. I do summon it rarely, and must have misplaced some."
    Last edited by Mee; 2017-07-23 at 12:36 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Troll in the Playground

Tower Precipice

The lich is grabbed, and the steel swords sink into the lich's flank. However they seem to stick, and are stuck there. Nimnarath then proceeds to kick Steve the paladin in the, um, unmentionables.
    Nimnarath's kick makes contact. However, he kicked plate armor, so unless the kick is augmented by something Steve isn't affected. Steve then attempts to punch the lich in the face.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

[Practice Grounds]

Fayyaad nods, concentrates and fires three shots. One goes wide, one hits close to the target and one actually strikes home.

"It feels different, that's for sure. Lighter. And it shoots actual... bullets, is it? The other weapon shot a blast of light."

24. - Top - End - #1284

NinjaGuy

[Practice Grounds]

Electra nods, watching his technique carefully to see how she might be able to help him improve his shooting.

"Yep, bullets. It holds 8, by the way. They're silvered, but otherwise normal. The beam your weapon fired from that shell was some sort of plasma beam. Not just light, but high energy particles. Fire again, but only one shot, this time. I need to see what might be tripping you up."

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Pixie in the Playground

Undertower

"Let's hope you're right," Devero looks to Naku, extremely wary of the beast's movements.

He'd already increased in size, and transformed into a distorted humanoid lost between a gold dragon, and a human.

If he would need to, he would continue the transformation, but that would mean committing to a full fight against the beast.
    With the knowledge of how much energy it'd take out of him, and the side affects associated, he knew it'd be best to wait until they regrouped with the rest of the team to face the lich, but he'd have to be ready for anything if things took a turn for the worse.

Cherie, and Naku looked dependable despite Naku's excessive restraint, and admiration for the beast.
    As a protector of the lich's belonging, Devero wouldn't have hesitated to slay it, but he instead chose to follow her lead knowing that a full fight would be easier to win if they showed the beast a united front set on destroying the orb, and having to potentially face three of these on his own would be considerably more difficult.

"Do you worship the creature that resides in this tower? Do you serve the lich?" Devero questioned the beast as he subtly continued with Naku, and Cherie with a wary eye.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

]

Tower Precipice

In this case, they'll just have to wait until the lich is killable. After Steve's punch, the ranger will try to head lock the lich from behind and throw him on the ground. He may as well just pin him down for awhile.

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ogre in the Playground

Tower Precipice

Since the spells Nimnarath cast on himself when he saw you guys coming were dispelled, no superhuman force was backing up the kick.

By the Seven Hells I thought you guys would never press me against the floor! shouts Nimnarath as he sinks into the ground that he's pushed into. The various swords and arrows don't float with him however, and they can be reclaimed.

Rule number one on defeating Liches: never fight them on their own turf. echoes a voice from the floor.

The lich then emerges behind Luvon and says The demi-god of despair is not responsible for any lost items whilst venturing in the Tower! as he pulls the quiver from his back and throws it off the side of the precipice.

Now then, that was my only ace in the hole, but thankfully I hope those arrows were too. Shall we continue?

EDIT: None of this happened. Response to come tomorrow, or the day after.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-07-24 at 05:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Orc in the Playground

Slave Camp

The camp is on a hill, dominated by a sixteen-foot-tall onyx statue, depicting a naked angel. The angel is brandishing a silver dagger above its head, holding it point-down. The other hand holds a brass chain, linking the angel to another, smaller statue- a female child, carved from marble, kneeling and looking upwards, scared. The chain leads to a collar about her neck. The slavers are a short distance further down the hill, as the summit is too steep for the long vehicles they use. There's three double-decker buses, an old Routemaster, its battered paint a faded shade of London red, a six-wheeled monster in an unpleasant shade of green, and a blue tour bus, with no original roof- instead, it's upper floor has been draped in a patched tarpaulin. Old road signs cover the windows of the Routemaster, whilst the six-wheeler has had chicken wire bolted over its empty windows, as has the tour bus. The buses are parked in a rough triangle, around a well-maintained and apparently unmodified 60's Volkswagen motorhome. The Volkswagen is a well-polished navy and cream colour, with a split windscreen. Two vans are nearby, a muddy black van and a very dirty white one, with traces of some form of livery visible on the sides. There's also two small sedan cars- a rust-streaked grey car missing the lid of its boot, with wire over the windows, and an old car with pale blue paint, with thick metal bars bolted over the doors, and rags draped over the driver's door where the window should be.

Ten slavers are visible walking around, cooking at campfires, patrolling the perimeter, or just sitting and enjoying the good weather. Six of them are human; the rest are half-orc, with orange or reddish skin. They all wear jeans, heavy work boots and the ones patrolling wear thick leather jackets, too. Most of the slavers not on duty have taken them off, wearing a variety of t-shirts underneath. Most of them are armed, with semi-automatic pistols, heavy cudgels and strange guns designed to launch nets at people. An eleventh figure is sitting in a deck chair and reading a book; they are pot-bellied, with skinny arms and pale grey skin. They have an ugly face, with eyes too far apart, a crooked nose, and jutting teeth.

The boat will set the two adventurers down a short distance away- far enough that the slavers don't notice the flying longship, but not so far that it's an excessive trip for Orion and Meredith.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

[Practice Grounds]

Fayyaad fires again. This time, the shot hits the tree, but on its edge. It seems his grip on the gun isn't as steady as it should be. It wobbles too much as he pulls the trigger. And his tail affects his sense of balance.

30. - Top - End - #1290

NinjaGuy

[Practice Grounds]

Electra examines his posture for a moment, then moves over, pressing his extended arm up slightly, and shifts his elbow down slightly, into a position that should make it easier to both push and pull at the same time, which should help him tighten his grip without throwing his aim off.

"Now remember, push and pull at the same time while you point and fire. That will help keep your grip stable, though you might want to try tightening up just a bit. You should also try leaning forwards a bit more. It seems your tail is affecting your center of gravity, so that might help to counteract it. Fire again once you're ready."
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2017-07-24 at 11:30 PM.