New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q277 roguish ASSASSINATE says

Could creature be surprised more than once per battle? If rogue sneak, running to different direction and hit from new position, for example.
    Q277 No. Surprise is something that only is resolved once, at the beginning of each combat. To quote the SRD:

"If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends."

2. - Top - End - #692

Q278 If a raven Queen Warlock use Spiritual Weapon and then uses its lvl 6 ability to transform into a Raven, could it use its bonus action to attack with Spiritual Weapon while transformed?

Q279 If a Raven Queen Warlock have War Caster, and its using its lvl 6 ability to transform into a Raven, could it use its bonus action to cast a spell like Expeditious Retreat that have a Verbal component? (having in mind that the Raven have Mimicry and nothing of the transformation takes away the chance of casting.)

3. - Top - End - #693
    Barbarian in the Playground

New to 5th Edition, anyways, here's my questions

Q280: Regarding spell casting, it notes that a free hand must be available to cast spells that have a Material or Somatic component, but that the same hand may be used for both components at the same time. Accordingly, it is noted that a a Holy Symbol for Clerics and Paladins include emblems on a shield as a casting focus that replaces any zero cost material component. Yet under the War Caster Feat, it implies you need the feat to cast somatic spells while wielding a weapon and shield together. If I have a Holy Symbol stylized shield, can I still cast Somatic requirement spells even with a weapon and Shield equipped? Or do I need to sheath the weapon then cast and/or Warcaster?

Q281: Can "Staff"-type Arcane/Druidic focus be used as a Quaterstaff, or is it an Improvised weapon? And if Shillelagh or Magic weapon is cast on them, do they still function as a spell casting focus?

Q282: If I'm wielding a Two-handed weapon (non-versatile sort, I.E. Mauls/Great Swords or Axes/Pole arms, etc), can I still temporarily hold the weapon in one hand and use the other hand to cast material/somatic spells like in 3rd edition?
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2017-08-20 at 05:49 AM.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

4. - Top - End - #694

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriez View Post
    New to 5th Edition, anyways, here's my questions

Q280: Regarding spell casting, it notes that a free hand must be available to cast spells that have a Material or Somatic component, but that the same hand may be used for both components at the same time. Accordingly, it is noted that a a Holy Symbol for Clerics and Paladins include emblems on a shield as a casting focus that replaces any zero cost material component. Yet under the War Caster Feat, it implies you need the feat to cast somatic spells while wielding a weapon and shield together. If I have a Holy Symbol stylized shield, can I still cast Somatic requirement spells even with a weapon and Shield equipped? Or do I need to sheath the weapon then cast and/or Warcaster?

Q281: Can "Staff"-type Arcane/Druidic focus be used as a Quaterstaff, or is it an Improvised weapon? And if Shillelagh or Magic weapon is cast on them, do they still function as a spell casting focus?

Q282: If I'm wielding a Two-handed weapon (non-versatile sort, I.E. Mauls/Great Swords or Axes/Pole arms, etc), can I still temporarily hold the weapon in one hand and use the other hand to cast material/somatic spells like in 3rd edition?
    A 280
    You need a free hand to cast somatic component spells, but if the spell requires material components too, you may use the same hand for both somatic and material components. Somatic only spells require too much precision for movements and you need either a free hand or war caster to use them.

A 281

Druidic focuses can work as quarterstaves, and shillelagh works normally on any piece of wood. The staff retains its focus function even after you cast shillelagh on it.

A 282

Not RAW, but unreasonable not to allow it.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ettin in the Playground

R282 To elaborate, by RAW you can draw, sheathe or pick up a weapon in tandem with your movement and action (PHB p190). Taking one hand off the weapon is a reasonable variation on this.

6. - Top - End - #696

Q 283

Hopefully simple question.

If I have superiority dice from 2 different sources, do they stack, and if so how?

EX. Battlemaster Fighter level 7, spell less ranger level 3?

5 SD from Battlemaster, but also 4 from Ranger.

9 Superiority Dice?

If so what happens if I take more levels of Battlemaster enough for the dice to become D10's, 5 d10's and 4 D8's or 9 D10's?

7. - Top - End - #697

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    Q 283

Hopefully simple question.

If I have superiority dice from 2 different sources, do they stack, and if so how?

EX. Battlemaster Fighter level 7, spell less ranger level 3?

5 SD from Battlemaster, but also 4 from Ranger.

9 Superiority Dice?

If so what happens if I take more levels of Battlemaster enough for the dice to become D10's, 5 d10's and 4 D8's or 9 D10's?
    A 283
    No RAW answer because Spell-less ranger is not officially released and as such it got designed with the "no multiclass intent" typical of UA, so they did not specify how to manage such event.

If I were to rule it, you'd get the highest amount of the two sources, and not combine them, like spells and other effects.
    Last edited by Lombra; 2017-08-21 at 10:06 AM.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

Q 284

When does a level 8 Arcana domain cleric apply his Wisdom modifier to the damage from his booming blade and green-flame blade cantrips - does it apply to the initial strike or does it apply to the damage a target takes for moving / damage to the secondary target?

9. - Top - End - #699

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Q 284

When does a level 8 Arcana domain cleric apply his Wisdom modifier to the damage from his booming blade and green-flame blade cantrips - does it apply to the initial strike or does it apply to the damage a target takes for moving / damage to the secondary target?
    A284: According to Sage Advice:

Potent Spellcasting adds to the cantrip's damage (booming blade, in this case), not the weapon's damage.
    So, at 8th, it appears both initial and secondary elemental damage from both spells would get the additional wis damage.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q285 when you ready an attack, can you get all of your attacks off, and if not, why?

11. - Top - End - #701
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q285 when you ready an attack, can you get all of your attacks off, and if not, why?
    A285: NOTE: I'm assuming you are asking about whether or not you get all of your Extra Attacks during another creature's turn. If that is not the case, please clarify "get all of your attack off" and a better answer can be provided.
    When you ready the Attack action, you can take one attack using your Reaction when the trigger occurs. Extra Attack usually has language to the effect of "whenever you take the Attack action on your turn." Since your Reaction is typically not happening on your turn, Extra Attack does not trigger.
    Last edited by dickerson76; 2017-08-29 at 01:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 286: If someone is hidden, but their spiritual weapon is still in plain sight, does the character get advantage on attack rolls and revel themselves as normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #703

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 286: If someone is hidden, but their spiritual weapon is still in plain sight, does the character get advantage on attack rolls and revel themselves as normal?
    A286: There is no absolute RAW (that I am aware of) on this exact instance. Expect DM opinions to vary on this answer.

Seeing that the hammer is not connected physically to the caster; I believe he should remain hidden with no additional benefits conferred to the hammers Attacks.

14. - Top - End - #704

Sorry. Can't bold, on phone.

Q287:

If I am playing a sorcerer level 5, and I quicken a booming blade on my target and then I cast a normal booming blade on the same person and they move, 2d8 or 4d8?

Q288:

Are there any rules somewhere on how having multiple familiars work?

Ex Raven queen with pact of chain, or learning the find familiar spell.
    Last edited by Dudewithknives; 2017-08-30 at 06:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #705

Sorry. Can't bold, on phone.

Q287:

If I am playing a sorcerer level 5, and I quicken a booming blade on my target and then I cast a normal booming blade on the same person and they move, 2d8 or 4d8?

Q288:

Are there any rules somewhere on how having multiple familiars work?

Ex Raven queen with pact of chain, or learning the find familiar spell.
    A287: The move damage would only be 2d8.
    Cite

A288: ((Edit: nice catch Millstone85; can't believe I forgot that.)) Because of the mystic bond between familiar and master- I would suspect characters are intended to only have one.

YMMV, as Millstone85 points out, the UA Raven Queen doesn't use that distinction- so ask your DM.
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-08-30 at 07:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

R288

As per the find familiar spell, "You can't have more than one familiar at a time".

Fun fact, the UA on the Raven Queen does not contain the word "familiar".

17. - Top - End - #707

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    R288

As per the find familiar spell, "You can't have more than one familiar at a time".

Fun fact, the UA on the Raven Queen does not contain the word "familiar".
    That is what I'm having a slot problem with the Raven Guardian ability is not really a familiar it has its own rules for it although they are almost exactly the same but it doesn't say that you are in casting me find familiar spell you get a special Raven instead so what happens if a Raven Queen Warlock takes The Pact if the chain.

As far as I can tell you should have to effective familiars but there's no rules on how they interact with each other can you come in both can they both individually take the help action Etc

Also try to ignore spelling mistakes I'm having to use talk to text
    Last edited by Dudewithknives; 2017-08-30 at 07:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708

That is what I'm having a slot problem with the Raven Guardian ability is not really a familiar it has its own rules for it although they are almost exactly the same but it doesn't say that you are in casting me find familiar spell you get a special Raven instead so what happens if a Raven Queen Warlock takes The Pact if the chain.

As far as I can tell you should have to effective familiars but there's no rules on how they interact with each other can you come in both can they both individually take the help action Etc

Also try to ignore spelling mistakes I'm having to use talk to text
    They have different turn, so i see no reason why you couldn't use both for the help action (or anything like that)

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

not really a familiar it has its own rules for it although they are almost exactly the same
    I find the differences to be numerous:

sentinel raven > raven familiar
    * It doesn't cost 10 gp to summon the sentinel raven.
    * You could summon the sentinel raven while gagged and bound.
    * Although it does take an hour to summon the sentinel raven, that one is combined with a short rest.
    * The sentinel raven isn't the product of a spell, and thus escapes dispel magic.
    * Nothing says the sentinel raven can't attack, or that you have to sacrifice your own attack for it.
    * It doesn't take an action to use the sentinel raven's eyes and hears, and you aren't cut from your own.
    * You gain advantage on all attack rolls against the killer of your sentinel raven.
    * The sentinel raven can give you darkvision and a bonus to Perception while perched on your shoulder.
    * The sentinel raven doesn't require sleep and can wake you up from a distance.
    * At higher levels, you learn to merge with your raven.

sentinel raven ≈ raven familiar
    * The sentinel raven isn't considered a celestial, fey or fiend, just a beast.
    * You can not hide your sentinel raven in a pocket dimension, but it is invincible while on your shoulder.

sentinel raven < raven familiar
    * You can not teleport your sentinel raven back to yourself with a couple actions.
    * You can not have the sentinel raven deliver a touch spell that you cast.
    * The sentinel raven vanishes if it is more than 5 miles away from you.
    * The sentinel raven can not benefit from the VotCM eldritch invocation.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q289 can you hide from something with blindsight?

21. - Top - End - #711

ClericGuy

Q289 can you hide from something with blindsight?
    A289

If you can find a way to do so, yes.
    Nothing explicitly states that you can't hide from something within it's blindsight range, magical means to do so for example may make your DM treat your character as hidden from that monster even if you are within it's blindsight range, it is unlikely but not forbidden.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q290 can a dragon use its frightful presence and breath weapon in the same round?

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q290 can a dragon use its frightful presence and breath weapon in the same round?
    Even dragons have only one action per turn. Breath Weapon and Frightful Presence are both listed under Actions, and therefore only one or the other can be used on any given turn.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

24. - Top - End - #714

Normally, no, unless they have a legendary action that allows them to

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Normally, no, unless they have a legendary action that allows them to
    In theory, you're not wrong, but RAW none of the dragons in Monster Manual have a legendary action that would allow that.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

26. - Top - End - #716

Q291 if you are playing a creature that does not have a bite attack can you still just bite somebody as an unarmed strike?

Ex. I am just playing a normal half orc barbarian and I grapple someone to the ground, could I bite them as an unarmed attack?

If so could a monk bite someone and use Martial arts and their unarmed damage die?

27. - Top - End - #717

Q291 if you are playing a creature that does not have a bite attack can you still just bite somebody as an unarmed strike?

Ex. I am just playing a normal half orc barbarian and I grapple someone to the ground, could I bite them as an unarmed attack?

If so could a monk bite someone and use Martial arts and their unarmed damage die?
    A291: Even wildshaped druid/monks don't consider their bites to be 'unarmed strikes'.

So, no. A bite in such instances would be considered an improvised weapon.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

Q292

This is a dumb question... in two dumb parts. I apologize ahead of time and thank you for your patience

1. Does booming blade or green flame blade require war caster if the player is fighting S&B or TWF?

The spell says verbal and material... but the material is a weapon.

2. If an arcana cleric selects this spell, this cantrip is now a cleric spell and would this mean that his shield acts as the divine focus for material components?

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ettin in the Playground

A292.1
    If the spell only says verbal and material, and War Caster is about somatic components, why would you need that feat? And yes, the material component is the weapon so, even if BB or GFB had a somatic component, you could use the same hand for it.

A292.2
    If the shield bears a holy symbol, it can be used as a divine focus, replacing the material component. But with BB or GFB, there is no point to it. You must make the melee attack with a weapon, and the weapon is already your material component.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you for clarifying this my friend. Big argument at the table for nothing