New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna Took View Post
    Q458: Does a Giant Spider's web restrain swarms (that are not spiders)?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Web: Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 30/60 ft., one creature. Hit: The target is Restrained by webbing. As an action, the Restrained target can make a DC 12 Strength check, bursting the webbing on a success. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 10; hp 5; vulnerability to fire damage; immunity to bludgeoning, poison, and psychic damage).

All swarms have Condition Immunity "Restrained" however only swarms of spiders "ignores Movement restrictions caused by webbing."
    A458 By RAW, since the swarm is immune to the Condition of being restrained, and the spiders web has no other effects (like restricting movement), swarms would be unaffected by the web.

That said, I personally would impose a movement penalty to the non-spider swarm in this situation- but that would be my own house rule.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q459 Is it possible to acquire proficiency in tools after 1st level? If so, how is this done?

3. - Top - End - #1113

Quote Originally Posted by Wondermndjr View Post
    Q459 Is it possible to acquire proficiency in tools after 1st level? If so, how is this done?
    A459: Yes

Quote Originally Posted by PHB 187 under training
    You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools. Your DM might allow additional training options.

First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required.

The training last for 250 days and cost 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount of time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wondermndjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A459: Yes
    Also, Skilled feat lets you choose between three skills or tools.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #1115

Q460

Using a net.

Under the description of using a net it states:

When you use an action, bonus action, or reaction
    to attack with a net, you can make only one attack
    regardless o f the number of attacks you can
    normally make.

Is this just attacks with the net, or attacks at all?

Ex:

I am playing a character who took the Dual Wielder so I can have a 1 handed weapon in each hand.

Can I attack with the net in my off hand and then with the rapier in my main hand, or is the one attack with the net the only one I can make that turn?

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    Q460

Using a net.

Under the description of using a net it states:

When you use an action, bonus action, or reaction
    to attack with a net, you can make only one attack
    regardless o f the number of attacks you can
    normally make.

Is this just attacks with the net, or attacks at all?

Ex:

I am playing a character who took the Dual Wielder so I can have a 1 handed weapon in each hand.

Can I attack with the net in my off hand and then with the rapier in my main hand, or is the one attack with the net the only one I can make that turn?
    A460 If you attack with a net that’s the only attack you can make. If you’ve already attacked with a different weapon you cannot attack with a net.

You can Action Surge and get another Action though.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-01-30 at 10:53 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ogre in the Playground

A460

I'm going to disagree.

When it says "you can make only one attack" it means with the specific action mentioned. So if you use a bonus action to attack with a net, you can use your action to attack with a different weapon.

The rule is intended to keep you from using Extra Attack with the net.

Powers &8^]

8. - Top - End - #1118

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A460

I'm going to disagree.

When it says "you can make only one attack" it means with the specific action mentioned. So if you use a bonus action to attack with a net, you can use your action to attack with a different weapon.

The rule is intended to keep you from using Extra Attack with the net.

Powers &8^]
    Nevermind, I found it in the Sage Advice.

It is only one attack with the net, others are ok.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/09...the-same-turn/

9. - Top - End - #1119

BarbarianGuy

Nevermind, I found it in the Sage Advice.

It is only one attack with the net, others are ok.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/09...the-same-turn/
    R460: Okay then…. Thanks for finding that!

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question Re: Simple RAW 3

Q461 Couple questions on the Chill Touch cantrip.

Q461a - Several creatures have regen that lists conditions under which it will not work. These are vague enough they can be read by a lay person as either Chill Touch working or not working.

Part a - Does it prevent trolls from regenerating at the start of the troll's next turn? And do they then die if reduced to 0? I think the answer is "yes" because I don't see the acid or fire as being the exclusive things that could prevent them from healing and therefore the spell would function normally: they can't regain hit points until your next turn so they would not regenerate on their own turn. I could see someone arguing that the troll must regen if not hit by acid or fire, though.

Chill Touch On a hit, the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage, and it can't regain hit points until the start of your next turn.
    Troll:Regeneration.The troll regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn. If the troll takes acid or fire damage, this trait doesn't function at the start of the troll's next turn. The troll dies only if it starts its turn with 0 hit points and doesn't regenerate.
    Q461b - Does Chill Touch stop healing for vampires?

Example: A sorcerer uses a quickened chill touch to hit a vampire (who takes 1/2 dmg due to resistance). The vampire is not in sunlight or running water and hasn't taken radiant damage or damage from holy water. When the vampire's turn rolls around does the Chill Touch stop the 20 point regen?

Vampire Regeneration: The vampire regains 20 hit points at the start of its turn if it has at least 1 hit point and isn't in sunlight or running water. If the vampire takes radiant damage or damage from Holy Water, this trait doesn't function at the start of the vampire's next turn.
    Q461c - Does Chill Touch impose disadvantage on undead that are immune to necrotic damage? I think I've seen someone mention that immunity to a type of damage doesn't give immunity to secondary effects but would love to see the source for that if that is accurate.

Example 2: A Fighter with the Chill Touch cantrip (through feat or multi-class, etc.) attacks then uses action surge to hit Wraith with Chill Touch. Are attacks by the Wraith against the W/F at a disadvantage until the end of the Fighter's next turn?

Chill Touch: If you hit an undead target, it also has disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the end of your next turn.
    Wraith: Immunities - Necrotic, Poison
    Q462 Counterspell - My read of the 3rd level spell Counterspell is that it can be used against any spell cast by an opponent as long as you see the creature casting the spell.

Q462a - If the opponent uses the Subtle metamagic, can his spells not be Counterspelled?

Q462b - If the target is in sight, can it be used to stop teleportation or other spells that happen "instantly"?

Q462c - My read on this is that there is no need for the spell to be targeting the caster and it therefore can apply to area of effect spells, opponent buffs, etc. Is that correct?

Q462d - If a Wizard counterspells a Sorcerer's twinned spell, the entire spell fails - not simply the spell's application to one of the two targets?

Thanks very much for the help!
    Last edited by AHF; 2018-01-30 at 02:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1121

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    Q461 Couple questions on the Chill Touch cantrip.

Q461a - Several creatures have regen that lists conditions under which it will not work. These are vague enough they can be read by a lay person as either Chill Touch working or not working.

Part a - Does it prevent trolls from regenerating at the start of the troll's next turn? And do they then die if reduced to 0? I think the answer is "yes" because I don't see the acid or fire as being the exclusive things that could prevent them from healing and therefore the spell would function normally: they can't regain hit points until your next turn so they would not regenerate on their own turn. I could see someone arguing that the troll must regen if not hit by acid or fire, though.

Q461b - Does Chill Touch stop healing for vampires?

Example: A sorcerer uses a quickened chill touch to hit a vampire (who takes 1/2 dmg due to resistance). The vampire is not in sunlight or running water and hasn't taken radiant damage or damage from holy water. When the vampire's turn rolls around does the Chill Touch stop the 20 point regen?

Q461c - Does Chill Touch impose disadvantage on undead that are immune to necrotic damage? I think I've seen someone mention that immunity to a type of damage doesn't give immunity to secondary effects but would love to see the source for that if that is accurate.

Example 2: A Fighter with the Chill Touch cantrip (through feat or multi-class, etc.) attacks then uses action surge to hit Wraith with Chill Touch. Are attacks by the Wraith against the W/F at a disadvantage until the end of the Fighter's next turn?

Q462 Counterspell - My read of the 3rd level spell Counterspell is that it can be used against any spell cast by an opponent as long as you see the creature casting the spell.

Q462a - If the opponent uses the Subtle metamagic, can his spells not be Counterspelled?

Q462b - If the target is in sight, can it be used to stop teleportation or other spells that happen "instantly"?

Q462c - My read on this is that there is no need for the spell to be targeting the caster and it therefore can apply to area of effect spells, opponent buffs, etc. Is that correct?

Q462d - If a Wizard counterspells a Sorcerer's twinned spell, the entire spell fails - not simply the spell's application to one of the two targets?

Thanks very much for the help!
    A461a: Yes, the spell is an exception to the normal rule of regeneration for a particular creature. The troll would be at 0 hitpoints, unable to regenerate, and be dead.
    b: Yes, see above.
    C: Yes, since the effect is not dependent on damage but whether or not it hits, the Wrath would be disadvantaged.

A462a: Correct, if you cannot tell a spell is being cast, you cannot counter it.
    b: Yes, though technically (as of Xanathars) you would not know what spell they are casting. But regardless of what it is, if you make the check- its countered.
    c: So long as the spell is about to be cast- there is no limit on what can be countered. This of course has no affect on buffs that are already active.
    d: Correct, the entire spell fails.
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-01-30 at 03:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW 3

Thanks for the quick response!

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Halfling in the Playground

Q463:
    Shield
    1st-level abjuration
    Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take w hen you are
    hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell

An invisible barrier of m agical force appears and
    protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a
    +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack,
    and you take no damage from magic missile.
    Should wizard see the attacker / attack / magic missile to cast a Shield? Can he do it being inside Darkness for example?
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

14. - Top - End - #1124

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q463:

Should wizard see the attacker / attack / magic missile to cast a Shield? Can he do it being inside Darkness for example?
    A463

Being blind or in darkness will not matter, it says "When you are hit" not "When you are attacked"

15. - Top - End - #1125

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q463:

A463: No. The text you copied doesn't contain the "see" requirement so the casting is done when the creature is "hit" by an attack or magic missile. In effect they don't need to "see" the attack since they can "feel" the hit.

16. - Top - End - #1126

Q464

Can I use spell scrolls while under the effect of tenser's transformation or similar effects?

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kushurando View Post
    Q464

Can I use spell scrolls while under the effect of tenser's transformation or similar effects?
    I'm not 100% certain (more like 99%), but I've understood that casting a spell from a scroll still counts as casting spells, so no, you can't. If proven wrong, I'm more than willing to stand corrected.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-02-05 at 12:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q 465

Can you use Create or Destroy water to desiccate an opponent? I'm looking at the rules, and I don't see a comma. I see a semicolon, which changes how the rule can be read. Look:

Create/Destroy Water:
    1st-level transmutation
    Level: Cleric 1, Druid 1
    Components: V, S, M (a drop of water if creating water or a few grains of sand if destroying water)
    Casting time: 1 action
    Range: 30 feet
    Duration: Instantaneous
    You create up to 10 gallons of water within range in an open container or make rain in a 30-foot cube; or you destroy up to 10 gallons of water or a 30-foot cube of fog.

You create/destroy an additional 10 gallons of 5 cubic feet of water for each slot level above 1st used to cast this spell.
    Strictly speaking destroying water doesn't require an open container. This 1 Level spell appears to have the power to remove 10 gallons of water from an opponents body without an opportunity for a save roll. Since 1 gallon or water is roughly 10 pounds, and the average human can be lethally dehydrated after 18 pounds of water loss, we talking 180 pounds of water loss in a single round with no save... easily enough to instantly kill a medium sized or smaller creature.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

19. - Top - End - #1129

Goblin

A465: I'm not sure where you got that wording but I think you may be looking at a bad source. The text for the spell in the PHB/SRD describes create and destroy in two separate sections, so the description of destroy is as follows:

Destroy Water: You destroy up to 10 gallons of water in an open container within range. Alternatively, you destroy fog in a 30-foot cube within range.
    The spell cannot be used to desiccate a creature because a creature is not an open container.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ok! Thank you!
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

21. - Top - End - #1131

ElfPirate

Q466

Do the hit points regained by an Abjurer's Arcane Ward upon casting an abjuration spell scale with the level of the slot expended or with the listed level of the spell used?

Example: I've lost 15 HP from my ward. I cast Banishment out of a 6th level slot. Does the ward regain 12 HP or 8 HP?

22. - Top - End - #1132

Quote Originally Posted by Psykenthrope View Post
    Q466

Do the hit points regained by an Abjurer's Arcane Ward upon casting an abjuration spell scale with the level of the slot expended or with the listed level of the spell used?

Example: I've lost 15 HP from my ward. I cast Banishment out of a 6th level slot. Does the ward regain 12 HP or 8 HP?
    A466: 12 hitpoints.

Spell level is determined by the slot used.

See PHB 201 and this tweet for more details.

23. - Top - End - #1133

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A466: 12 hitpoints.

Spell level is determined by the slot used.

See PHB 201 and this tweet for more details.
    Ah yes, that clears it up nicely. Thank you very much. :)

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Q 467

First, let me show my scenario to you. A caster and an enemy are fighting in a small enclosed building with only one exit. The enemy is in the corner and the caster is blocking the doorway. The caster casts fear on the target, which fails it saving throw. The spell states that while affected by the spell, the "creature must take the Dash action and move away from you by the safest available route on each of its turns, unless there is nowhere to move." The target though is also frightened, so it cannot move closer towards its enemy, and anywhere it could move to will bring it closer to its source of fear. What happens? Does the target take the dash action even though it decides not to move at all, thusly wasting its action? Does the clause about a targeted creature being forced to take the dash action override the frightened condition and it decides to move to a position closer to the caster, as per the specific beats general rule? Or can the target take the dodge action instead, as it has nothing else it could do that would help it at all?
    Last edited by Requilac; 2018-02-08 at 05:34 PM.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

25. - Top - End - #1135

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Q 467

First, let me show my scenario to you. A caster and an enemy are fighting in a small enclosed building with only one exit. The enemy is in the corner and the caster is blocking the doorway. The caster casts fear on the target, which fails it saving throw. The spell states that while affected by the spell, the "creature must take the Dash action and move away from you by the safest available route on each of its turns, unless there is nowhere to move." The target though is also frightened, so it cannot move closer towards its enemy, and anywhere it could move to will bring it closer to its source of fear. What happens? Does the target take the dash action even though it decides not to move at all, thusly wasting its action? Does the clause about a targeted creature being forced to take the dash action override the frightened condition and it decides to move to a position closer to the caster, as per the specific beats general rule? Or can the target take the dodge action instead, as it has nothing else it could do that would help it at all?
    A467: In your example the creature must take the Dash action, but since they have no where to go they stay put. However if they have other things they can do during their turn they may do them. The spell doesn't say anything about other limitations. (Mind you they're still suffering from the Frightened condition.)

So in your example above the target could cast Misty Step (Bonus Action casting time) after they take the Dash action on their next turn.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A467: In your example the creature must take the Dash action, but since they have no where to go they stay put. However if they have other things they can do during their turn they may do them. The spell doesn't say anything about other limitations. (Mind you they're still suffering from the Frightened condition.)

So in your example above the target could cast Misty Step (Bonus Action casting time) after they take the Dash action on their next turn.
    The target was already in the corner when fear was cast on them, so they couldn’t take the dash action to move away from their enemy, as the only place they could move would bring them closer to their enemy. The target has not yet moved. Are you staying that they still take the dash action anyway even though they can’t move, effectively wasting their action?
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

27. - Top - End - #1137

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    The target was already in the corner when fear was cast on them, so they couldn’t take the dash action to move away from their enemy, as the only place they could move would bring them closer to their enemy. The target has not yet moved. Are you staying that they still take the dash action anyway even though they can’t move, effectively wasting their action?
    R467: I checked the spell description carefully and it does seem that way.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/fear

“You project a phantasmal image of a creature's worst fears. Each creature in a 30-foot cone must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or drop whatever it is holding and become frightened for the duration.

While frightened by this spell, a creature must take the Dash action and move away from you by the safest available route on each of its turns, unless there is nowhere to move. If the creature ends its turn in a location where it doesn't have line of sight to you, the creature can make a Wisdom saving throw. On a successful save, the spell ends for that creature.”

So until they make their save, they must take the Dash action.

In 5e they've specifically designed certain game mechanics to intentionally waste an Action. That's why I specifically mentioned that the target can do other things, like Bonus Actions, if they can!

Note: When you take the Dash Action you don’t actually move. It simply increases your speed. Then when you next move during that turn you have more speed in which to do so.

Speed does not equal Movement in 5e.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-02-08 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Clarification

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q468:

Skarr, the legendary skeleton warrior, has an AC of 18 due to "armor scraps" (flavorfully, a rusted-out suit of plate mail). However, he's also wearing padded armor +1 under the plate mail (that being the historical purpose of padded armor). While he uses his armor scraps to calculate his AC (as it gives him a higher AC), does he still get the +1 AC bonus for wearing the padded armor? He is also wielding a shield. Is his AC 20, or 21? Crucially, when my players kill him and get the padding for themselves, can they use the same trick? (I allow, nay, require padded armor to be worn under heavy armor, which is arguably against RAW so the answer may be "if you, the DM, say so," but the question for the skeleton should is definitely a RAW question, and also applies to natural armor users.)

Assuming I allow padded armor to be worn under heavy armor, would the +1 bonus from this padding stack with a plate mail +1 for a total AC calculation of 20?
    Last edited by dreast; 2018-02-09 at 10:21 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1139

Quote Originally Posted by dreast View Post
    Q468:

Skarr, the legendary skeleton warrior, has an AC of 18 due to "armor scraps" (flavorfully, a rusted-out suit of plate mail). However, he's also wearing padded armor +1 under the plate mail (that being the historical purpose of padded armor). While he uses his armor scraps to calculate his AC (as it gives him a higher AC), does he still get the +1 AC bonus for wearing the padded armor? He is also wielding a shield. Is his AC 20, or 21? Crucially, when my players kill him and get the padding for themselves, can they use the same trick? (I allow, nay, require padded armor to be worn under heavy armor, which is arguably against RAW so the answer may be "if you, the DM, say so," but the question for the skeleton should is definitely a RAW question, and also applies to natural armor users.)

Assuming I allow padded armor to be worn under heavy armor, would the +1 bonus from this padding stack with a plate mail +1 for a total AC calculation of 20?
    A468

While someone could wear padded armor under their plate armor for accuracy purposes they would not add the ac together.

Their AC would be 18 because of the plate.
    20 AC if they were using a shield, assuming neither are magical an add other bonuses.

Note that Padded armor is not actually +1 AC it is simply 11 + Dex AC.

Both already give disadvantage to stealth checks so it would make no real difference other than some extra added weight.

Plate actually makes note that it comes with thick layers of padding under the armor so it is kind of there for you already.
    Last edited by Dudewithknives; 2018-02-09 at 10:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A468

While someone could wear padded armor under their plate armor for accuracy purposes they would not add the ac together.

Their AC would be 18 because of the plate.
    20 AC if they were using a shield, assuming neither are magical an add other bonuses.

Note that Padded armor is not actually +1 AC it is simply 11 + Dex AC.

Both already give disadvantage to stealth checks so it would make no real difference other than some extra added weight.

Plate actually makes note that it comes with thick layers of padding under the armor so it is kind of there for you already.
    R 468
    I realize that the 11 AC for the padded armor would not be involved, but it's magical +1 padded armor (alone, it'd be AC 12). I'm wondering if the magical bonus to AC stacks with armor scraps or natural armor like a shield does, since "wearing" the armor (not calculating your AC with the armor) is the only requirement for that bonus. (This isn't something that would often come up with a player, since they're limited to one armor per slot, but players can gain access to natural armor as well so it's worth asking.)