New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Q528 is there a limit to how much equipment gets melded into a wild shape? Like how strange an object could you incorporate safely into your form?
    A528:

There's no limit in the rules. RAW, if you're carrying it or wearing it, it melds.

Powers &8^]

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q529

How does Two-Weapon Fighting interact with Extra Attacks? You only get to swing the off-hand weapon once per turn, because it's a bonus action, right? So a 5th-lvl, dual-wielding Fighter gets to make 3 attack rolls on a turn (main hand, bonus action for off-hand, main hand again with Extra Attack). And then if you choose to use Action Surge, you'd get 2 more swings (one for normal attack, one for Extra Attack), but none from your off-hand weapon. Do I have all that right?

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ettin in the Playground

A529

May not be a simple question, but it is a simple asnswer. Yes, you have that right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    A529

May not be a simple question, but it is a simple asnswer. Yes, you have that right.
    Thanks! Follow-up: Q530
    Can you choose which of your 2 weapons to use on any of those swings? If I have a longsword in one hand and a dagger in the other, can I mix up those swings any way I want? Sword, dagger, dagger; or sword, dagger, sword; or dagger, sword, sword. Could I just swing my sword 3 times? I'm guessing that last one is a no, because it seems like it's missing the point of dual-wielding.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by TheCleverGuy View Post
    Thanks! Follow-up: Q530
    Can you choose which of your 2 weapons to use on any of those swings? If I have a longsword in one hand and a dagger in the other, can I mix up those swings any way I want? Sword, dagger, dagger; or sword, dagger, sword; or dagger, sword, sword. Could I just swing my sword 3 times? I'm guessing that last one is a no, because it seems like it's missing the point of dual-wielding.
    A530 The only restriction is that the bonus action attack has to be using a "different light melee weapon".

Quote Originally Posted by PHB195
    When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand.
    So SSD/SDS works (sword gets +MOD to damage), DSD/DDS works (dagger gets +MOD to damage), but SSS and DDD don't work. Whichever weapon you attack with first gets the +MOD damage (unless you have the fighting style in which case they both do).
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q531
    If one were to multiclass into Rogue: Scout but already had proficiencies in either/or Nature and Survival, can you change those previous proficiencies when you get Survivalist?

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vánagandr View Post
    Q531
    If one were to multiclass into Rogue: Scout but already had proficiencies in either/or Nature and Survival, can you change those previous proficiencies when you get Survivalist?
    A531
    RAW, the answer is simple: No.

However, it wouldn't be that big of an issue to allow it as a DM, in my opinion anyway. But that's a houserule and has no place (nor weight) for this thread's purpose.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-05 at 04:01 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A531
    RAW, the answer is simple: No.

However, it wouldn't be that big of an issue to allow it as a DM, in my opinion anyway. But that's a houserule and has no place (nor weight) for this thread's purpose.
    R531 I am afb, but I am under the impression that if you gain a duplicate skill from a class or background you can just choose a different skill.

Has this been errata'd?

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    R531 I am afb, but I am under the impression that if you gain a duplicate skill from a class or background you can just choose a different skill.

Has this been errata'd?
    The current printing says (contrary to what I believed)

Quote Originally Posted by PHB 125
    If a character would gain the same proficiency from two different sources, he or she can choose a different proficiency of the same kind (skill or tool) instead.
    That seems definitive and not limited just to backgrounds (which is what I had believed).
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    That seems definitive and not limited just to backgrounds (which is what I had believed).
    It is still in the section that explains backgrounds, so maybe it is limited.

Regardless, the scout's feature reads...
    Quote Originally Posted by XGtE p47, Survivalist
    When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in the Nature and Survival skills if you don’t already have it. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of those proficiencies.
    so it can't be a second source.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    It is still in the section that explains backgrounds, so maybe it is limited.

Regardless, the scout's feature reads... so it can't be a second source.
    Ah. Specific beats general. You're right.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Pixie in the Playground

Q532 A sixth-level warlock with the archfey patron is casting fly when they take damage. Can they use Misty Escape before making a save to maintain concentration (i.e., to teleport to the ground and avoid damage if they lose concentration), or does the save have to come first?

Relevant PHB text:

Concentration... Whenever you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your concentration.
    Misty Escape... When you take damage, you can use your reaction to turn invisible and teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see.
    Reactions are described as an 'instant response' on p190, but the section on casting time refers to reaction spells as taking 'a fraction of a second to bring about'. (Of course, Misty Escape is not a spell.)

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gelatinousc View Post
    Q532 A sixth-level warlock with the archfey patron is casting fly when they take damage. Can they use Misty Escape before making a save to maintain concentration (i.e., to teleport to the ground and avoid damage if they lose concentration), or does the save have to come first?

Relevant PHB text:

Reactions are described as an 'instant response' on p190, but the section on casting time refers to reaction spells as taking 'a fraction of a second to bring about'. (Of course, Misty Escape is not a spell.)
    The reaction is triggered after taking damage, so you can't avoid a concentration check with Misty Escape.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q533 rogue assassin is hidden. rogue attacks wizard. initiative is rolled. wizard wins. Wizard goes first.
    He's surprised, not much to do. Anyway, wizard's turn is over. Is wizard still surprised?

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

A533 Once the wizard's turn is over, the wizard can now take a reaction.

Or are you asking if the wizard raises the "surprised" flag for the purpose of some other feature? My guess is no, they do not.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A533 ......next up after the wizard is the rogue assassin. Rogues assassinate ability auto crits if the target is surprised. Is the wizard still surprised in this situation?

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    A533 ......next up after the wizard is the rogue assassin. Rogues assassinate ability auto crits if the target is surprised. Is the wizard still surprised in this situation?
    A533

The text seems ambiguous to me. Here is a Sage Advice column stating that surprise ends with the end of the surprised creature’s turn, which seems like the natural conclusion, even if the rules aren’t explicit:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...-november-2015

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A533 That sage advice it's still not clear. Is the wizard still surprised after his turn? cuz if not, the rogue is not attacking a surprised target and things will be different.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    A533 That sage advice it's still not clear. Is the wizard still surprised after his turn? cuz if not, the rogue is not attacking a surprised target and things will be different.
    A533
    “In effect, a surprised creature skips its first turn in a fight. Once that turn ends, the creature is no longer surprised.”

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A533 but he's not actually skipping his turn. He gets a turn but doesn't get to do a lot. If he got paralyzed for example, he would still get to make a save at the end of his turn to escape the paralysis. Anyhow I think you've answered my question, at the end of the surprised targets turn, he is no longer surprised.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q534 can you do an interact while surprised?

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A534 Page 190 of the PHB states that "You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action."

If you are surprised, you "can't move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can't take a reaction until your turn ends".

Because your free object interaction comes as part of your action or movement and you can use neither when surprised, you may not use your free object interaction when surprised.

You can however "communicate however you are able, through brief utterances and gestures as you take your turn."
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-04-08 at 06:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Lightbulb Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lacka View Post
    Q525:
    This might be more of an english grammar question but I can’t decide for myself:

(I copied it from the website but I’m prety sure the wording is almost exactly the same in the PHB.)
    If I have 2 proficincy when I get this and chose the other two do I get double prof. (Experties) for all or only the 2 new skill?
    From balance perspective the only 2 seams more real but then I would have used both in the wording.
    Sorry if this is too nitpicking for this thread but couldnt find a better place to post it!
    P.S.: I love this thread!
    I would like to “reopen” this case!
    The PHB sais in chapter 7:
    For instance, if you lack proficiency in the History skill, you gain no benefit from a feature that lets you double your proficiency bonus when you make Intelligence (History) checks.
    So based on all this, I would let my knowledge clerics be complete experts in all 4 skills if they chose to.
    Sorry if it sounds stupid but I want to make a skill monkey build and this could mean a little extra for that!
    (When I figure out the exact details I post the build ;) )

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lacka View Post
    I would like to “reopen” this case!
    The PHB sais in chapter 7:

So based on all this, I would let my knowledge clerics be complete experts in all 4 skills if they chose to.
    Sorry if it sounds stupid but I want to make a skill monkey build and this could mean a little extra for that!
    (When I figure out the exact details I post the build ;) )
    That entry from PHB does not enable you to get any additional expertise from Knowledge domain for skills you didn't choose via that class feature, even if you gained proficiency to them by other means. You must have another source that grants expertise for those other two.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q535 are scrolls themselves magical?

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ettin in the Playground

A535 Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG p139, Magic Item Categories
    Scrolls

Most scrolls are spells stored in written form, while a few bear unique incantations that produce potent wards. Whatever its contents, a scroll is a roll of paper, sometimes attached to wooden rods, and typically kept safe in a tube of ivory, jade, leather, metal, or wood.

A scroll is a consumable magic item. Whatever the nature of the magic contained in a scroll, unleashing that magic requires using an action to read the scroll. When its magic has been invoked, the scroll can't be used again. Its words fade, or it crumbles into dust.

Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it.
    Note that, in contrast, a spellbook is not a magic item. It is just a piece of paper that describes how to cast a spell, and it doesn't have the habit to crumble into dust after the casting.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Halfling in the Playground

Q356 I've ruled that if the three-person party I'm running a game for wants to take a long rest where someone is always watching, they can complete it in 9 hours, with each party member sleeping for 6 hours and keeping watch for 3 hours. But is this incorrect according to RAW?

A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating, or standing watch for no more than 2 hours. If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity—at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting Spells, or similar adventuring activity—the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.

As far as I can tell, you need a continuous period of time where a party member spends no more than 2 hours doing light activity, and sleeps at least 6 hours. But with the model I've used so far, whoever takes the second guard shift will have their rest cancelled (the other two have 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep before or after their watch), so the shortest possible long rest would actually take 12 hours?

Last edited by Platypusbill; 2018-04-10 at 10:46 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q537

When the PHB says something like "Creature takes 4d8 damage on a failed saved, and half as much if they make the save," is there a rule anywhere that says how "half as much" is determined? Do you roll the 4d8 regardless and then just halve the result if they make their save? Or do roll only 2d8 instead? I feel like the first way makes more sense to me, but I wanted to see if it was RAW.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCleverGuy View Post
    Q537

When the PHB says something like "Creature takes 4d8 damage on a failed saved, and half as much if they make the save," is there a rule anywhere that says how "half as much" is determined? Do you roll the 4d8 regardless and then just halve the result if they make their save? Or do roll only 2d8 instead? I feel like the first way makes more sense to me, but I wanted to see if it was RAW.
    A537
    You roll and then divide. General rule is you always round down, which is in itself already kind of an implication.

For a more definitive answer, I believe page 196 in PHB offers the best answer to this:

DAMAGE ROLLS
    Each weapon, spell, and harmful monster ability specifies the damage it deals. You roll the damage die or dice, add any modifiers, and apply the damage to your target.
    "Half as much" is the modifier added to the rolled dice.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-10 at 12:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q538
    The PHB specifies that sneak attack dice are doubled for a critical, but what about effects like hex/hunters mark or other spells that add damage dice, as well as a paladin's smite ability or other similar abilities?

And another question

Q539
    For spells such as grease, and mage armor, where there is a duration effect but no concentration, if the caster is incapacitated does the spell persist, does it also persist if the caster dies?
    Last edited by braveheart; 2018-04-10 at 01:24 PM.
    The first rule of gaming, before you have even chosen the game is and always should be

HAVE FUN

(FUN being defined as it is in dwarf fortress)