Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Q538
    The PHB specifies that sneak attack dice are doubled for a critical, but what about effects like hex/hunters mark or other spells that add damage dice, as well as a paladin's smite ability or other similar abilities?
    A538
    There's only a short answer to this: Yes.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Platypusbill View Post
    Q356 I've ruled that if the three-person party I'm running a game for wants to take a long rest where someone is always watching, they can complete it in 9 hours, with each party member sleeping for 6 hours and keeping watch for 3 hours. But is this incorrect according to RAW?

A long rest is a period of extended downtime, at least 8 hours long, during which a character sleeps or performs light activity: reading, talking, eating, or standing watch for no more than 2 hours. If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity—at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting Spells, or similar adventuring activity—the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.

As far as I can tell, you need a continuous period of time where a party member spends no more than 2 hours doing light activity, and sleeps at least 6 hours. But with the model I've used so far, whoever takes the second guard shift will have their rest cancelled (the other two have 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep before or after their watch), so the shortest possible long rest would actually take 12 hours?

A536: "Technically" you are right, if you hang out 'not sleeping' for more then 2 hours you lose the benefit of a long rest, but really- it is not worth this level of nitpickery. Your ruling is fine.

If you want to keep within RAW you can do so by just adding one hour to the over all rest (10 hours).

Hour 1 - 2-- Player 1 doesn't start his long rest for the first two hours he is on guard. The others do start theirs and go to bed.
    Hour 3 - 4-- Player 1 continues to takes watch, but now officially starts his long rest.
    Hour 5 - 6-- Player 3 is on guard during the grave yard shift.
    Hour 7 - 8-- Player 2 is now up, but still taking his long rest.
    Hour 9 - 10- Player 2 continues watch, but no longer needing to rest. Once his buddies finish sleeping- the day begins.
    (Apologies for the lack of graph/cells. All this is assuming no elves are in the party as well).
    ((Edit to add a better, more restful watch order.))

Q539
    For spells such as grease, and mage armor, where there is a duration effect but no concentration, if the caster is incapacitated does the spell persist, does it also persist if the caster dies?
    A539: They will last their full duration, unless it says otherwise in their individual spell description.
    Cite
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-04-10 at 11:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

This might not be simple, but I don't think it's worth it's own thread.

Q540: How many medium humanoids can ride on the back of an adult dragon?

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ruby34 View Post
    This might not be simple, but I don't think it's worth it's own thread.

Q540: How many medium humanoids can ride on the back of an adult dragon?
    A540 That’s up to the dragon! (aka: The DM)
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-04-11 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Punctuation

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q539
    For spells such as grease, and mage armor, where there is a duration effect but no concentration, if the caster is incapacitated does the spell persist, does it also persist if the caster dies?
    A539 They do persist without concentrating. They can still be dispelled.

A classic example is Glyph of Warding.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Orc in the Playground

Q541 when a multi class character wizard 9/warlock 1 gains the second warlock level and therefore learns a second warlock spell can he choose a 4th level warlock spell since he has 4th level slot as a wizard?

Q542 can multi class character wizard 9/warlock 1 cast a 1st level warlock spell he knows as a 4th level spell (and therefore with the additional power)?

(If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepareu from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain fram the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.)

7. - Top - End - #1327

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Q541 when a multi class character wizard 9/warlock 1 gains the second warlock level and therefore learns a second warlock spell can he choose a 4th level warlock spell since he has 4th level slot as a wizard?

Q542 can multi class character wizard 9/warlock 1 cast a 1st level warlock spell he knows as a 4th level spell (and therefore with the additional power)?

(If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepareu from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain fram the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.)
    A541: No. You are still only a level 2 warlock for all things warlock exclusive (such as the level of warlock spells you know).

A542: Yes. It will take the wizard spell slot, but it works.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 540
    Adult true dragons are huge creatures with somewhere between 22 and 27 strength. That means they can hold between 1320 and 1620 pounds of humanoids on their back before they are encumbered. Around 5 medium people is a safe bet based on weight. Space is DM territory.

My math is Strength times 15, doubled twice for being a huge creature. Forgive me if my math is off.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A541: No. You are still only a level 2 warlock for all things warlock exclusive (such as the level of warlock spells you know).

A542: Yes. It will take the wizard spell slot, but it works.
    You don't have "wizard" or "warlock" spell slots, right? You get your spell slots from the multi-class spell table. You just have spells you know and can prepare from each class and a common pool of spell slots can be used with any of the spells you prepare.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    You don't have "wizard" or "warlock" spell slots, right? You get your spell slots from the multi-class spell table. You just have spells you know and can prepare from each class and a common pool of spell slots can be used with any of the spells you prepare.
    Wrong. You have Spellcasting spell slots and Pact Magic spell slots. That table applies to arcane tricksters, clerics, druids, eldritch knights, paladins, rangers, sorcerers and wizards, but not warlocks.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    Sort of. Pact Magic interacts weirdly with the spellcasting of the other classes. Classes that have the "Spellcasting" feature add together and have the slots indicated on the multiclass table. A Warlock X / Wizard Y instead has the Pact Magic slots of a Warlock X, and general spell slots of a Wizard Y. They can be used interchangeably for any spells you know, but they don't add together for the purposes of spell slot progression the same way that a Wizard X / Cleric Y would. At least, my copy of the PHB references "all your levels in the bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard classes, half your levels (rounded down) in the paladin and ranger classes, and a third of your fighter or rogue levels (rounded down) if you have the Eldritch Knight or the Arcane Trickster feature." Pact Magic gets its own blurb below, and notably absent is any reference to adding levels for spell slot progression.

EDIT: partial ninja
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2018-04-12 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    EDIT: partial ninja
    Yeah, you explained it better. And I can't believe I forgot to list the bard.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks to both of you for the Warlock clarification.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Q543
    Minor Conjuration

Starting at 2nd level when you select this school, you can use your action to conjure up an inanimate object in your hand or on the ground in an unoccupied space that you can see within 10 feet of you. This object can be no larger than 3 feet on a side and weigh no more than 10 pounds, and its form must be that of a nonmagical object that you have seen. The object is visibly magical, radiating dim light out to 5 feet.

The object disappears after 1 hour, when you use this feature again, or if it takes any damage.
    It appears magical, though is it magical? A weapon does not take damage when you swing it, but manifested magic? Maybe.

How would you rule it?

1) the summoned sword is magical and doesn't break when used as a weapon

2) nonmagical, doesn't break.

3) magical, does break.

4) nonmagical and does break.

15. - Top - End - #1335

Quote Originally Posted by sporeegg View Post
    q543

it appears magical, though is it magical? A weapon does not take damage when you swing it, but manifested magic? Maybe.

How would you rule it?

1) the summoned sword is magical and doesn't break when used as a weapon

2) nonmagical, doesn't break.

3) magical, does break.

4) nonmagical and does break.
    A543:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice
    "damage" is a game term, involving the loss of hp. Only relevant for minor conjuration if the dm has you roll damage for the object.
    Cite

And,

@JeremyECrawford If I conjure a weapon with Minor Conjuration and I hit a creature, does the weapon take a sort of damage to disappear?

Jeremy Crawford @JeremyECrawford

@Uzedh No.
    Cite
    BUT, there is also errata that reads:
    "Minor Conjuration (p. 116).
    The conjured object also disappears if it deals any damage (6th printing)."
    So the correct answer is: 3) magical, does break.
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-04-15 at 03:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Q543

It appears magical, though is it magical?
    A543

Yes. The text doesn't say it "appears" magical. It says it's "visibly" magical. That means it's magical, and that that magical quality is visible.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2018-04-15 at 12:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

This is a highly speculative question:

Q544
    If - for some reason - you could start with a 19 or 20 rolled for an ability score (before racial modifier) and you chose a race that grants +2 to that ability score.
    Now, let's say that 19 or 20 (before racial modifier) was Constitution or Strength (and is capped at 20 with the racial modifier), and you became a barbarian. Let's assume you managed to reach 20th level in barbarian. What would happen to the ability score? Would your ability score become 21 or 22 immediately upon gaining 20th level?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q545 Is there a official intelligence score which signifies sentience? (I was making a homebrew magical weapon which regains charges when used to kill a sentient creature and wanted to try and put a definitive number on it...)

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

A544

There can't possibly be a RAW answer to a specifically not-RAW question.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Q545 Is there a official intelligence score which signifies sentience? (I was making a homebrew magical weapon which regains charges when used to kill a sentient creature and wanted to try and put a definitive number on it...)
    A545

I'm not aware of any official rule, but I'd look to the awaken spell. It only works on creatures with no Intelligence score (such as an inanimate plant) or an Intelligence score of 3 or less. Examples of creatures with INT 3 are cats and dogs, and their wild cousins.

On the other hand, you said "sentient". Taken literally, that means able to experience sensations. In D&D terms, that translates to a Wisdom score of 1 or more.

"Sentience" is, however, often used in speculative fiction as indicating the qualities of being human -- or a person -- as contrasted with lower animals and non-intelligent constructed devices. If that's the meaning you meant, then I think the 4-and-up threshold is the closest you'll find to an official rule.

(In previous editions, beasts could not have an INT score above 2, which made sense because minimum attribute roll on 3d6 is 3. But now apparently you can have PCs with intelligence equivalent to a dog's. And so if you go with 4 as your minimum, you may have actual characters who don't count for the weapon's ability.)

Powers &8^]

21. - Top - End - #1341

DwarfClericGuy

Q 546 If I choose the Polearm Master Feat can I make an AoO if a creature moves towards me to get into melee? Like, if I run up and hurl insults at a creature and they decide to move in to melee me can I hit them with an AoO as soon as they get within reach of me?

Q 547 If the answer to Q546 is yes, if I also have Warcaster feat and decide to hit with Booming Blade would the creature then take the thunder damage if they continue to move the last 5 feet towards me? I'm thinking yes

Sorry if these have been answered before, but I've tried reading through all 25+ pages of this thread without getting caught by my boss Thanks for the help

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbru View Post
    Q 546 If I choose the Polearm Master Feat can I make an AoO if a creature moves towards me to get into melee? Like, if I run up and hurl insults at a creature and they decide to move in to melee me can I hit them with an AoO as soon as they get within reach of me?

Q 547 If the answer to Q546 is yes, if I also have Warcaster feat and decide to hit with Booming Blade would the creature then take the thunder damage if they continue to move the last 5 feet towards me? I'm thinking yes

Sorry if these have been answered before, but I've tried reading through all 25+ pages of this thread without getting caught by my boss Thanks for the help
    A 546 Yes.

A 547 No, because Booming Blade specifically has a range of 5 feet (so reach 10 doesn't work well with it). If you had Spell Sniper, it would work but be very feat intensive.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

23. - Top - End - #1343

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A 546 Yes.

A 547 No, because Booming Blade specifically has a range of 5 feet (so reach 10 doesn't work well with it). If you had Spell Sniper, it would work but be very feat intensive.
    Thank you! And it makes sense after reading booming blade. As a fighter I’ll lilely get a ton of feats if I play him to level 20 so it’d be possible. But starting as variant human would help get there quicker.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q548 Tensor's Floating Disk is a ritual spell. Could you cast that 4 or 5 times, giving yourself 5 floating disks?

Can you cast alarm a few times, giving yourself more area to cover?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-04-17 at 04:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A544

There can't possibly be a RAW answer to a specifically not-RAW question.
    I don't fully agree that it wasn't a RAW question. Regardless of how the ability scores are determined, the question how ability scores behave with the Rules As Written is still valid.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-17 at 06:09 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I don't fully agree that it wasn't a RAW question. Regardless of how the ability scores are determined, the question how ability scores behave with the Rules As Written is still valid.
    "How would a non-standard method of ability score generation act in a situation impossible under RAW" doesn't really fit the definition of a RAW question. The Rules don't cover what happens if you generate a score above 20 at character creation, because that isn't possible under RAW.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q548 Tensor's Floating Disk is a ritual spell. Could you cast that 4 or 5 times, giving yourself 5 floating disks?

Can you cast alarm a few times, giving yourself more area to cover?
    A548

Sure, you can do that. But in the case of Tenser's floating disk, you're significantly eating into the duration by casting rituals. By the time you cast the fifth disk, there'd only be 10 minutes left on the first one. And all of those disks will try to follow you at a distance of 20 feet; their behavior in that situation would be unpredictable.

Powers &8^]

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

"How would a non-standard method of ability score generation act in a situation impossible under RAW" doesn't really fit the definition of a RAW question. The Rules don't cover what happens if you generate a score above 20 at character creation, because that isn't possible under RAW.
    Read my post again. The question is about 20th level feature. I acknowledged that for 19 levels (which includes character creation) before that an ability score maximum is 20. Which is, by the way, the RAW addressing your so-called "impossible" thing by RAW. But as a barbarian 20, you, by RAW, INCREASE that maximum to 24.

The question is how the racial bonus (again, a RAW feature of the game) behaves in such a situation. Hence, I don't *fully* agree with your statement. I agree that how you determine ability scores in this example isn't RAW, but that is largely irrelevant to the question.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-17 at 10:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Read my post again. The question is about 20th level feature. I acknowledged that for 19 levels (which includes character creation) before that an ability score maximum is 20. Which is, by the way, the RAW addressing your so-called "impossible" thing by RAW. But as a barbarian 20, you, by RAW, INCREASE that maximum to 24.

The question is how the racial bonus (again, a RAW feature of the game) behaves in such a situation. Hence, I don't *fully* agree with your statement. I agree that how you determine ability scores in this example isn't RAW, but that is largely irrelevant to the question.
    The situation is that prior to level 20, you are starting with an ability score greater than 20. Which is impossible wothout houserules at the present time. That's what makes it non-RAW. I'd suggest opening a thread to discuss it, as this isn't something covered by RAW

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 549

a) Does Innate Spellcasting bypass the casting time of spells?

b) Can Innate Spellcasting be counterspelled?