Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1351
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    Q 549

a) Does Innate Spellcasting bypass the casting time of spells?

b) Can Innate Spellcasting be counterspelled?
    Note: that should be two different questions with different numbers.

A 549a) No. The only difference is that you don't use a slot but can only do it x/day.
    A 549b) Depends. If it requires components just the same as the regular version (which is the default), then it can be. Without verbal or somatic components (as some monsters specify) then no, it can't be.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    The question is how the racial bonus (again, a RAW feature of the game) behaves in such a situation. Hence, I don't *fully* agree with your statement. I agree that how you determine ability scores in this example isn't RAW, but that is largely irrelevant to the question.
    It isn't irrelevant, though. There are no rules for how a racial bonus reacts to exceeding a hard cap that is then raised because, in the rules, there is no way for an ability score to be generated that would result in that problem occurring. The behavior is undefined because the rules don't allow it to occur.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2018-04-17 at 03:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q550

If an enemy is prone, am I correct that an archer can ready their attack conditioned on the enemy rising from prone and then attack prior to the enemy moving or taking other action (such as attacking)? If so, I assume an archer with extra attack only gets the one shot since the readied action attack is not on their turn?

Trying to sort through how an archer and character with shield master knocking people prone can coordinate attacks if the archer falls after the shield master but before the enemy in the initiative order. Thanks!
    Last edited by AHF; 2018-04-18 at 09:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    Q550

If an enemy is prone, am I correct that an archer can ready their attack conditioned on the enemy rising from prone and then attack prior to the enemy moving or taking other action (such as attacking)? If so, I assume an archer with extra attack only gets the one shot since the readied action attack is not on their turn?

Trying to sort through how an archer and character with shield master knocking people prone can coordinate attacks if the archer falls after the shield master but before the enemy in the initiative order. Thanks!
    A550: This is correct.

The Readied Action is executed as a Reaction.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Halfling in the Playground

Q551 When you prepare a new list of Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Wizard spells, do you have to spend time on each spell in the list even if you already had some of the spells prepared?

Wizard:

You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of wizard spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Cleric/Druid/Paladin:

You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of cleric spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

As far as I can tell, you're supposed to go through the preparation process for every spell, but it doesn't seem logical for the Wizard, given that it's based on memorising how the spells are cast. If a level 20/Int 20 Wizard swaps out one of the 45 spells in the previous list, does he suddenly forget how to cast the other 44 spells, which are otherwise permanently memorised until the list is changed?

6. - Top - End - #1356

Q552 when i use Trickery domain channel divinity (Invoke Duplicity) to create illusion of myself and then cast Dimension Door through illusion which is touching another creature, did spell teleport me and creature or just creature?

The illusion appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within 30 feet of you. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the illusion up to 30 feet to a space you can see, but it must remain within 120 feet of you. For the duration, you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion’s space, but you must use your own senses.
    Last edited by Godshoe; 2018-04-21 at 05:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1357

Q553 If you cast Compelled Duel on two opponents with Twinned Spell, does the spell end if you target either one of them with a spell or attack?

Relevant texts:

Compelled Duel

You attempt to compel a creature into a duel. One creature that you can see within range must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is drawn to you, compelled by your divine demand. For the duration, it has disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than you, and must make a Wisdom saving throw each time it attempts to move to a space that is more than 30 feet away from you; if it succeeds on this saving throw, this spell doesn't restrict the target's movement for that turn.

The spell ends if you attack any other creature, if you cast a spell that targets a hostile creature other than the target, if a creature friendly to you damages the target or casts a harmful spell on it, or if you end your turn more than 30 feet away from the target.

Twinned Spell

When you cast a spell that targets only one creature and doesn't have a range of self, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level to target a second creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip).

To be eligible for Twinned Spell, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell’s current level.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground

In each of these questions, I don't feel there is a clear RAW that answers it. These questions would be better asked of your DM, or of Sage Advice. This thread is supposed to be for "simple, straight-forward rules questions", which I'm not sure any of these are.

A551

The rules are unclear, but I would caution against trying to inject too much logic into the way the rule operates.

A552

I don't see any written rule that will determine how this reacts, so it's up to the DM. If the DM looks at it logically, a dimension door opens a portal between two points, so the caster's real self would not be able to pass through the portal on the illusion's square, nor, arguably, should an adjacent creature be able to be pulled through it. But from a gamist perspective, allowing both the caster and the touched creature to pass through and appear in the destination square appears to be within the intent of the Invoke Duplicity feature, and you shouldn't let the fluff of how the spell is described affect how it operates.

A553

Somewhat ambiguous, and I could see it either way, but my reading is that Twin Spell adds a second target to the one spell, rather than casting a second spell. That would mean that both targets of Compelled Duel are targets of the same spell, so attacking one would not end the spell on the other.

Powers &8^]

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q554

Can you counterspell a spell that is cast without somatic or verbal components?

If not, please provide a page number or link to the sage advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

10. - Top - End - #1360

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Q554

Can you counterspell a spell that is cast without somatic or verbal components?

If not, please provide a page number or link to the sage advice.
    A554:

Counterspell requires you to see a creature casting a spell. Nothing to perceive means no counter.
    Cite

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q555. I'm a rogue with Skulker feat, already in melee with a human fighter. We're in dim light. Can I hide?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-04-22 at 06:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1362

PaladinGuy

Q556. If multiple casters within the party have Shield of Faith, can both cast and stack the +2 AC's?
    Last edited by HolyAvenger7; 2018-04-23 at 07:58 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyAvenger7 View Post
    Q556. If multiple casters within the party have Shield of Faith, can both cast and stack the +2 AC's?
    A556

No. Bonuses from features with the same name (including spells) never stack unless it explicitly says otherwise.

Powers &8^]

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Troll in the Playground

Q 557

Okay, after a conversation with my sister, I'm confused. Consider the following:

A Behir (or other monster with a natural Reach attack with a range of 10ft) moves up to an archer to attack her. Now, he wants to pin her down and give her disadvantage, so it moves immediately adjacent to her. If she moves 5 feet away, still within his reach but far enough out to not get disadvantage, does the Behir get an opportunity attack on her? Or does it only get an OA when she leaves the 10ft range?

15. - Top - End - #1365

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Q 557

Okay, after a conversation with my sister, I'm confused. Consider the following:

A Behir (or other monster with a natural Reach attack with a range of 10ft) moves up to an archer to attack her. Now, he wants to pin her down and give her disadvantage, so it moves immediately adjacent to her. If she moves 5 feet away, still within his reach but far enough out to not get disadvantage, does the Behir get an opportunity attack on her? Or does it only get an OA when she leaves the 10ft range?
    A557: The Behir only gets its OA if the archer leaves its full 10' reach.
    (And the archer does not have disadvantage).

Cite1

Cite2
    Cite3

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 558

While an Oni is in an human form due to his Change Shape ability, does he read as magical to a Detect Magic spell? If yes, does the aura appears as Transmutation or just unspecified magic?

Thank you.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q559. Can I stow an object with the darkness spell on it, blocking out its effects?
    Q560. If I cast darkness on an object and put it in a bullseye lantern, will it become a cone of darkness?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-04-26 at 10:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A559 Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p230
    Completely covering the source of the darkness with an opaque object, such as a bowl or a helm, blocks the darkness.

A560 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p230
    The darkness spreads around corners.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q561: If I am wielding two weapons with different ranges, For example a Dagger and a Whip. At what point can I make my opportunity attack? Is it the shorter range, the longer range or either?

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by th3g0dc0mp13x View Post
    Q561: If I am wielding two weapons with different ranges, For example a Dagger and a Whip. At what point can I make my opportunity attack? Is it the shorter range, the longer range or either?
    A561: Either.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q555I'm a rogue with Skulker feat, already in melee with a human fighter. We're in dim light. Can I hide?

22. - Top - End - #1372

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q555I'm a rogue with Skulker feat, already in melee with a human fighter. We're in dim light. Can I hide?
    This question is a little open ended on a topic with only so-so RAW. Naturally YMMV DM to DM.

A555: That said: it depends.

In order to Hide you have to be in a place where the enemy cannot see you to begin with. So, if you are in combat with a fighter, who can see his immediate surroundings even in dim light, you can't just hide while next to him (even in dim light).

Now if you move away from him to a location where he cannot see you: then yes- you can hide.

Skulker is more about being able to slip past people in dim light where your presence would normally be immediately noticed; it is not about disappearing and reappearing around your opponent while you are actively fighting them, all while never leaving their adjacent square.

23. - Top - End - #1373

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Q 558

While an Oni is in an human form due to his Change Shape ability, does he read as magical to a Detect Magic spell? If yes, does the aura appears as Transmutation or just unspecified magic?

Thank you.
    A558: No hard RAW on this to my knowledge.

I think a subtle transmutation aura makes sense though.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A555: That said: it depends.
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to dispute Erys's answer. I suggest you make a thread on the subject if you really care to get the full debate.

A555 The answer to this is complicated, and by RAW subject to your DM, since page 177 of the PHB says that "The DM determines when circumstances are appropriate for hiding". However, barring the DM saying no, the answer is a tentative yes.

The general rule about hiding is that you "can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly" (page 177 of the PHB) This would prevent hiding in this situation, except for the fact that skulker provides a specific exception to the general rule by saying that "you can try to hide when you are lightly obscured from the creature from which you are hiding" (pg 170 of the PHB). Thus, you may try to hide even though the human can see you, because you are lightly obscured from the human. It is important to note that the skulker feat or the stealth rules in general do not make any stipulation about how far away you need to be from a creature to hide from it.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-04-29 at 12:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q 562

Can a sorcerer twin a Magic Missile?

26. - Top - End - #1376

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to dispute Erys's answer. I suggest you make a thread on the subject if you really care to get the full debate.

A555 The answer to this is complicated, and by RAW subject to your DM, since page 177 of the PHB says that "The DM determines when circumstances are appropriate for hiding". However, barring the DM saying no, the answer is a tentative yes.

The general rule about hiding is that you "can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly" (page 177 of the PHB) This would prevent hiding in this situation, except for the fact that skulker provides a specific exception to the general rule by saying that "you can try to hide when you are lightly obscured from the creature from which you are hiding" (pg 170 of the PHB). Thus, you may try to hide even though the human can see you, because you are lightly obscured from the human. It is important to note that the skulker feat or the stealth rules in general do not make any stipulation about how far away you need to be from a creature to hide from it.
    Oddly enough, I think he started a thread on this topic back when he first asked the question.

I stand by the requirement that you cannot be observed to hide (and if you are in combat with the person you want to hide from, he definitely can see you- even in dim light); but, like I mentioned in the original answer, there is no clear cut RAW when dealing with hiding. Ask you DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    Q 562

Can a sorcerer twin a Magic Missile?
    A562: No.

Any spell that is capable of hitting more then one target is ineligible for Twin.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A562: No.

Any spell that is capable of hitting more then one target is ineligible for Twin.
    If i may, couldn't be argue that if the spell (just like Scorching Ray and other spell like this) targets only one creature (even if it could target more), then it could be twinned.

At least, i think this is a possible interpretation.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    If i may, couldn't be argue that if the spell (just like Scorching Ray and other spell like this) targets only one creature (even if it could target more), then it could be twinned.

At least, i think this is a possible interpretation.
    That's explicitly precluded. If, at the level it's cast at, it has the option of hitting more than one target it cannot be twinned (at that level).

Quote Originally Posted by PHB 102
    To be eligible, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell's current level. For example, magic missile and scorching ray aren't eligible, but ray of frost and chromatic orb are.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q563

Could a Wild Magic Sorcerer who multiclasses into Evocation Wizard use the Sculpt Spell ability to protect himself (and/or his allies) from the effects of a wild magic surge Fireball?

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by TheCleverGuy View Post
    Q563

Could a Wild Magic Sorcerer who multiclasses into Evocation Wizard use the Sculpt Spell ability to protect himself (and/or his allies) from the effects of a wild magic surge Fireball?
    A 563
    Partially. You can use Sculpt Spell only if it would affect other creatures, and can only exempt others from the effect. You cannot use it to protect yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB 117, emphasis added
    When you cast an evocation spell that affects other creatures that you can see, you can choose a number of them equal to 1 + the spell's level.