New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,484 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q602 If I'm understanding it right, if a bugbear uses their long-limbed feature to grapple a creature on their turn, they have to move within 5 feet of it by the end of their turn to keep the hold or else that counts as an effect removing a grapplee from the grappler's reach, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A602 No. The grappled condition doesn’t specify that reach is part of it, nor does long-limbed specify that the grappled condition is removed if the bugbear isn’t within 5 feet.
    R602 I disagree with this answer. The grappled condition does care about reach, and I believe No-brains is correct.

I tried to collect all the relevant RAW:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p195, Grappling
    When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple. If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them. The target of your grapple must be no more than one size larger than you, and it must be within your reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p195, Melee Attacks
    Most creatures have a 5-foot reach and can thus attack targets within 5 feet of them when making a melee attack. Certain creatures (typically those larger than Medium) have melee attacks with a greater reach than 5 feet, as noted in their descriptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p290, Grappled
    The condition also ends if an effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler or grappling effect, such as when a creature is hurled away by the thunderwave spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by VGtM p119, Bugbear Traits
    Size. Bugbears are between 6 and 8 feet tall and weigh between 250 and 350 pounds. Your size is Medium.
    Long-Limbed. When you make a melee attack on your turn, your reach for it is 5 feet greater than normal.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Orc in the Playground

Q604 What happens if I dimsiss with dispel evil and good a druid wild shaped into an elemental?

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q605.

Tensers transformation grants advantage on simple and martial weapon attacks. Does this in anyway extend to Natural Weapons?

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Q604 What happens if I dimsiss with dispel evil and good a druid wild shaped into an elemental?
    A604 Assuming you're on the prime material plane, nothing. The spell description states "The creature must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be sent back to its home plane (if it isn't there already)", then gives specific exceptions for undead and fey. A druid wildshaped into an elemental is already on its home plane, and isn't a fey or undead, so none of the possible spells effects apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q605.

Tensers transformation grants advantage on simple and martial weapon attacks. Does this in anyway extend to Natural Weapons?
    A605 No. Natural weapons aren't simple or martial weapons, they're an entirely separate category.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2018-06-17 at 06:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Orc in the Playground

Q606 can you choose to do less damage?
    Q606a can you choose to do for example 1d6 instead of 2d6 with a greatsword?
    Q606b can you choose to do for example 1d10 instead of 2d10 with a firebolt cantrip if you are level 5?
    Q606c can you choose to only cast one eldritch blast instead of 2?

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Q606 can you choose to do less damage?
    Q606a can you choose to do for example 1d6 instead of 2d6 with a greatsword?
    Q606b can you choose to do for example 1d10 instead of 2d10 with a firebolt cantrip if you are level 5?
    Q606c can you choose to only cast one eldritch blast instead of 2?
    A 606 No, without house-rules. Spells and abilities do what they say, nothing more and nothing less.

However, with a melee attack one can choose to knock the opponent unconscious instead of killing them (if you strike the final blow), no matter the damage done. No such exception exists for ranged attacks.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q607

Can a character make an attack action, benefitting from the duelling feat, before drawing (and then throwing) a dagger with a bonus action?

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q607

Can a character make an attack action, benefitting from the duelling feat, before drawing (and then throwing) a dagger with a bonus action?
    I believe so, yes. In fact, I'm fairly sure the thrown dagger would also benefit from dueling, as it would be the only weapon you're wielding when you throw it.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A607 - Contention
    Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    I believe so, yes. In fact, I'm fairly sure the thrown dagger would also benefit from dueling, as it would be the only weapon you're wielding when you throw it.
    Assuming you're referring to the dueling fighting style, you'd have to drop or sheathe the weapon you used for your first attack if you want to get the bonus on your thrown dagger attack. Otherwise you're wielding two weapons.

I'd also question whether a thrown dagger counts as a melee weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll20 D&D 5E Compendium
    When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other Weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2018-06-19 at 04:54 PM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    A607 - Contention
    A607-Cont.

Assuming you're referring to the dueling fighting style, you'd have to drop or sheathe the weapon you used for your first attack if you want to get the bonus on your thrown dagger attack. Otherwise you're wielding two weapons.
    Yep, my bad, wasn't fully thinking through the situation described.
    Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    I'd also question whether a thrown dagger counts as a melee weapon.
    According to Crawford, it does. https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/03...-melee-weapon/

11. - Top - End - #1481

ClericGuy

Q608

Can you two-weapon-fight with improvised weapons with the feat Dual Wielder? Specifically, improvised weapons that don't resemble actual weapons (stools for example)
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

12. - Top - End - #1482

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    Yep, my bad, wasn't fully thinking through the situation described.

According to Crawford, it does. https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/03...-melee-weapon/
    The thrown dagger does not get the +2 from Duelling.

Yes it is a 'melee weapon' as JC indicates.

But, crucially, no it is not 'held in one hand' when it hits; it's not held in any hand at all if it was thrown.

13. - Top - End - #1483

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    Q608

Can you two-weapon-fight with improvised weapons with the feat Dual Wielder? Specifically, improvised weapons that don't resemble actual weapons (stools for example)
    No. Due to the wording of the TWF rules, you must make the attacks with 'weapons'; both the initial attack which generates the bonus action, and the attack made with that bonus action.

By definition, 'improvised weapons' are not 'weapons'.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    No. Due to the wording of the TWF rules, you must make the attacks with 'weapons'; both the initial attack which generates the bonus action, and the attack made with that bonus action.

By definition, 'improvised weapons' are not 'weapons'.
    A 608 addendum: By strict RAW, Arial Black is correct. However, it doesn't break anything if you were to allow two-weapon fighting with an improvised weapon because they are used as weapons, and otherwise follow same rules as any weapon without special properties. An improvised weapon isn't finesse, heavy, light, versatile, etc. Improvised Weapon is treated as a weapon in all respects except its actual type. (So, you will need Dual Wielder to use two-weapon fighting with an improvised weapon, and you must use Strength for attack and damage rolls, AND without proficiency, your attacks are quite bad with them anyway).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-06-21 at 12:26 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014