New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXVIII: Get. In. The. BAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Maybe coulda sent out Oranguru a turn earlier, or swapped in the manaphy that was essentially dead already, and not just fed Raquaza to Heliolisk.
    Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking there.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

So a mainline game is coming to the Switch at some point.

Also two new Metroid games. June 13 has been the best day of 2017.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking there.
    Honestly, since Manaphy was literally just dead to Toxic no matter what, I don't know if I'd have switched it out anyway. Though as nothing would attack it, its basically a free switch, and then another later (when it dies). So I guess I understand it?
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, since Manaphy was literally just dead to Toxic no matter what, I don't know if I'd have switched it out anyway. Though as nothing would attack it, its basically a free switch, and then another later (when it dies). So I guess I understand it?
    Was my Comfey still alive? It knows Aromatherapy.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes. But Manaphy was on literally 2% health, and you swapped in comfey and your Heliolisk ate it.

A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes. But Manaphy was on literally 2% health, and you swapped in comfey and your Heliolisk ate it.
    I am a derp sometimes.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough. things happen.

Edit: Now I wanna play Pokemon Showdown.
    Last edited by Svata; 2017-06-14 at 01:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

I have now changed Tapu Bulu to Tapu Fini in order to gain access to Defog.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Only thing I really want right now is dex entries for Buzzwole/Kartana/Sun Lion Man Dude Steel Guy, but if you don't have them, I can still do trade backs anyway. Looks like I got 3 Dusk Stones I'm not using, so I can send those over in the process. I'm in CDT (UTC-5, the time on this post is approximately 4:30pm for me if you have configured your board settings correctly) but I'm all crazy hours for scheduling, so like, I'm probably gonna be out for an hour or two eating, then I'll be up for quite some time so maybe I'll catch you in your morning? Otherwise I... Should be off work on Friday and Saturday (it's complicated!), so like anytime then I'll try my best to have my 3DS online.
    Sweet - if it's just the 3, I'd tradeback for a Trevenant, Milotic, and Gengar also? Those dusk stones would be extremely useful. Been farming for 2 weeks and only got 1. I can do many of the Sun version exclusives also if you need (except Turtonator).

Code; 5473-0987-4949 I'm busy all day tomorrow, but can arrange to be active from 9am BST from Friday; I think that's a +1, would make you 6 hours behind me.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

So... what do I use the Strange Souvenir for?
    I bought two from the megamart, and they seem to sell for as much as they had costed?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So... what do I use the Strange Souvenir for?
    I bought two from the megamart, and they seem to sell for as much as they had costed?
    People theorize they might be used to breed Alolan forms in non-Alola games. Other than that, nothing.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

So, as is my wont, I played a fair bit of Pokémon while on holiday.

Random thoughts:

I have, for the moment, abandoned the idea of Salandit for my current team. Until I've actually got some way to check IVs after completeing the game (since dammit the battle royal doesn't SET your level to 50), it's not even worth trying. I had though that I could chain and go somewhere with that, unlike say, Magikarp, Salandit really don't want to call for help. And I think even to last out long enough for it to be worth it, youd have to have Pokémon especially up to the task.

Ye gods, the Poképelego don't half train yer quick, don't it? That is the best EV training ever! Beats the hell out of the Super Training and EV-item training I was doing in the older games...!

Does anyone have any good Alolan Vulpuix breeding spares? The one I'm using I got in a trade (can't check anything yet - well, not until I get my EV berries, complete EV training and make an educated guess!), and I'd kind of like to get my own properly fairly soon.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Banned

Devil

IV's and EV's and such rarely matter in the story game, unless you're hardcoring a nuzlocke or something.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    IV's and EV's and such rarely matter in the story game, unless you're hardcoring a nuzlocke or something.
    I'm a perfectionist.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Ye gods, the Poképelego don't half train yer quick, don't it? That is the best EV training ever! Beats the hell out of the Super Training and EV-item training I was doing in the older games...!
    It's slower than active training, but no other method lets you train up to 18 Pokémon at a time while you sleep or work.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    It's slower than active training,
    I would debate that actually, since that would assume your active training is done contiguously - rather than, as I find in practise, an hour here and there, perhaps even only once a week. As soon as you do your active training over more than a day or so, you've already done it faster with the Poképelego. Sure, you could (with EV items) grind your team up in a day, but it'd be a damn boring day! Setting up the training and just doing something different in the meantime is just SO much faster it's unreal. It's brilliant!

(Especially in my case, given the glacial rate I play Pokémon at the best of times, the EV training period in older games could literally be YEARS! I'm still only at Gym 7 in my Platinum and SoulSilver games NOW...!)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-06-15 at 02:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

Sweet - if it's just the 3, I'd tradeback for a Trevenant, Milotic, and Gengar also? Those dusk stones would be extremely useful. Been farming for 2 weeks and only got 1. I can do many of the Sun version exclusives also if you need (except Turtonator).

Code; 5473-0987-4949 I'm busy all day tomorrow, but can arrange to be active from 9am BST from Friday; I think that's a +1, would make you 6 hours behind me.
    So that'll be 3:00am for me, then. I'll make it a Slumber Party, works well with how my sleeping has been going. I'll chuck the Dusk Stones on my pokemon, then. Don't forget to add my Friend Code.

Edit: You're still showing as provisional on my end. Sure you got your friend code and times right? No longer showing as provisional. I'm sitting online and will await a trade request.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2017-06-16 at 06:24 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

18. - Top - End - #408
    Banned

Devil

Hi mate, sorry, having issues with power outages locally currently. It's pretty on off, and can only do this on my phone and the batteries going on it. Might have to arrange another time when it's more convenient for you if you're not able to secure the three, sorry, I didn't mean you had to get up at /stay up til 3am, meant that I'd be free from that time all day! As (bad) luck would have it, I've not been able to help today because of damn power breaks.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I would debate that actually, since that would assume your active training is done contiguously - rather than, as I find in practise, an hour here and there, perhaps even only once a week. As soon as you do your active training over more than a day or so, you've already done it faster with the Poképelego. Sure, you could (with EV items) grind your team up in a day, but it'd be a damn boring day! Setting up the training and just doing something different in the meantime is just SO much faster it's unreal. It's brilliant!

(Especially in my case, given the glacial rate I play Pokémon at the best of times, the EV training period in older games could literally be YEARS! I'm still only at Gym 7 in my Platinum and SoulSilver games NOW...!)
    It takes me roughly 15 minutes given average luck to max out one stat's EV on a party of Pokémon. Once you get the Power items it's a breeze to train EVs.

Of course, you have to get the Power items, so there's that. Poképelago is certainly more stress-free and does the same thing, so if you're not in a hurry to train it's good. I usually stick a handful of Pokémon there while training my others.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2017-06-16 at 04:58 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Hi mate, sorry, having issues with power outages locally currently. It's pretty on off, and can only do this on my phone and the batteries going on it. Might have to arrange another time when it's more convenient for you if you're not able to secure the three, sorry, I didn't mean you had to get up at /stay up til 3am, meant that I'd be free from that time all day! As (bad) luck would have it, I've not been able to help today because of damn power breaks.
    Blarg. Well, I should have mostly work to do in my room for this Saturday, I'll try to keep myself online, but I might be away from my system so I won't exactly be responsive at all hours.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

So my female Johto starter collection is finally complete!
    Just caught a female chikorita... with actually pretty good IVs! Looks like(going by Serebii's calculator) 20-31 in all stats but HP and Attack.
    Just gotta figure out which island scan to go for tomorrow(only on island 2, so currently limited to Marill and Litwik, it looks like).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Hey Vaz, don't know if your power issues have been sorted out, but just keeping you in on the loop. I'll be off of work on Thursday if you want to retry, and also I dug up another Dusk Stone if you want it.
    ---

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Some advice I gave over on a different thread in response to a guy saying Lock On+OHKO on a Smeargle wouldn't be viable:
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Grab an Amoonguss with Rage Powder and have it set up to be as tanky as possible, with Giga Drain as one of the other moves. Rage Powder will force enemies to target it with everything they use that can target it, and Giga Drain is generally good for tanky pokemon without other recovery options. Although Chesto Berry+Rest can be done for a full recover, it's somewhat wasteful in that you might not be needing it if the opponent doesn't attack that turn, while Giga Drain is fairly safely spamable due to dealing damage. Synthesis and Ingrain are also on the move pool, so it can work out that way as well.

Protect, Substitute, Sleep Talk and Rest are on the TM list for Amoonguss, so you can do some stuff with that. Swagger, Double Team and Attract are on the TM list for Amoonguss, so you can pull some nasty stuff with being purely a target, though physical sweepers make Swagger a bit less of a good pick.

I personally think that Giga Drain, Ingrain, Substitute and Rage Powder would be a good move set, if you are purely focused on making a target to buy Smeargle time to pull the 2 turn kills. A good thing to do with the remaining two Smeargle move slots is Belly Drum and Baton Pass, so that you can pass over full Attack to another pokemon on your team for the second turn, allowing you to swap to a wall with a physical life drain move to be an improvised Sweeper, with Smeargle in the back ready to pull the Lock On OHKO combo if they go down.

Leech Life is the best physical HP stealing move in gen 7, which is found on another Rage Powder pokemon besides Amoonguss. Namely, Parasect, which is a much worse wall due to weaknesses and is really bad due to low speed. As well as actually having rather bad defences. 4x weakness to Fire is... bad. Buzzwole is a workable physical tank, but melts under Special Attacks. Although it'll obliterate anything it hits, given an 80 base power move and maximum attack bonuses.

Now I want to put together a full team comp and go to a Pokemon-centric forum to critique the doubles strategy applicable to the setup I'm describing here... It's utter scum, but it seems like it'd be a massive pain to put down.
    Comments on the setup? Advice for other 'mons to use for the setup to make it a full team? Does Lock On actually apply to OHKO moves?

The general tactic is to have a Rage Powder wall with a sweeper of some sort to actually get KOs. Would it be better to use a 'mon in a support role to keep the Rage Powder wall up and/or further boost the sweeper, or grab a second sweeper?

I've actually seen it done in triples as a sweeper set. A full crit set using only stage 1 Pokemon, so the "wall" was a Paras, with two "sweepers" that relied on buff turns. I'm thinking that taking that team and using final stage instead of first stage would create a monster loadout.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Banned

Devil

Why not just use Spore?

Edit@ Wuffimg; hope to have it fixed tomorrow AM, sorry!
    Last edited by Vaz; 2017-06-23 at 04:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not just use Spore?
    Spore is counterable a lot easier. Chesto-carrying sweepers, Insomnia and abilities/moves that remove status effects all bypass Spore's usefulness. And getting out-sped allows a sweeper to down Smeargle, depriving you of a buff pass or OHKO.

Also, Spore only targets one enemy at a time, which isn't good enough in triples. Rage Powder walls all enemies, even retargeting beneficial moves that can target an enemy, so you can buy a turn or two in Triples for Smeargle to set up a sweeper with that lovely +6 attack.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Does Lock On actually apply to OHKO moves?
    Yes, it does, but a good number of things end up wrecking the combo: Sturdy, Taunt, Focus Sash, other Grass Types, Safety Goggles, Overcoat, anything that can OHKO/2HKO Amoonguss, and Spread attacks (which are still likely to get Smeargle down to at least half health if not KO him outright). Meanwhile, you're only throwing out your "heavy" damage every other turn, where more traditional teams hit hard every turn, so you are looking at similar problems Hyper Beam and Giga Impact have.

Granted, with my experience in random online battles, people will totally let you set up two Cotton Guards, so you can still get some good mileage out of it. Might be worthwhile to check Smogon's X and Y Doubles analysis on Amoonguss for more in depth discussion- both Amoonguss and Smeargle benefit a whole lot from Trick Room, for example.

---

In other news, new international Mega Stone giveaway. Use the code MATSUBUSA to get Sceptilite, Blazikenite, Swampertite, Cameruptite, and Banettite. Apparently that's Maxie's unlocalized name.
    ---

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    In other news, new international Mega Stone giveaway. Use the code MATSUBUSA to get Sceptilite, Blazikenite, Swampertite, Cameruptite, and Banettite. Apparently that's Maxie's unlocalized name.
    Ooh, ta.

Still no lopunnite yet, dangit...

So I'm guessin' that's a no on anyone having any IV'd alolan vulpixes then?

29. - Top - End - #419
    Banned

Devil

M-Lopunny is coming from the Little Cup (Any 1' or under), along with M-Gardevoir and M-Gallade.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Banned

Devil

New Global Mission Announced - Defend your Alola Champion Title. Total of 100K to get a Rare Candy, 200K for Moon Ball. No information on what's available for doing multiple yourself. The Server does seem to be down, at the minute though.