New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: The Black Shingle Fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Avita swiftly kneels beside Thaddeus, producing her rope. "You; Mister Cogswell, are coming with us." she says, binding the limp sages arms. "You're a witness to your friend's safety.I'd rather he came willingly, but he was going to come anyway. Now. Who else is in the house?"

Use rope: [roll0]
    "Sure my dear lady, I didn't catch your name by the way."

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avita stands up from her work. "Sarim; if you could take him? And you sir-" She turns to Cogswell with teeth showing. "I believe I just asked you a question; who else is in the house?"

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Avita stands up from her work. "Sarim; if you could take him? And you sir-" She turns to Cogswell with teeth showing. "I believe I just asked you a question; who else is in the house?"
    "I don't know. Just Thaddeus and I."

4. - Top - End - #1324

Avita steps to the front door, closes and locks it, if she can.

Could be a stray breeze. Could be a demon. Could be a Pelorite assassin.

Should have bought a whole squad and gone over this place with a looking glass. If we had a squad. Or a looking glass.

She picks up the lit candle and holds it before her in her gauntleted hand.

"Show us to the back door", she rasps to Cogswell.

OOC: Do we have a cart?

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Avita steps to the front door, closes and locks it, if she can.

Could be a stray breeze. Could be a demon. Could be a Pelorite assassin.

Should have bought a whole squad and gone over this place with a looking glass. If we had a squad. Or a looking glass.

She picks up the lit candle and holds it before her in her gauntleted hand.

"Show us to the back door", she rasps to Cogswell.

OOC: Do we have a cart?
    "OK, this way."

Coggy show Avita to the back door.

"It's north up here to the right at the back door."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2018-02-15 at 10:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1326

Avita gives Coggy a look. What's North of here? but ignores the oddness for the moment.

She raps on the door three times; then says in her clearest, most carrying voice; "Duhlmil, if you're there, we're coming out. Civvie with us. Don't hit him." And then pulls the door open.

"After you", she says to Coggy.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Avita gives Coggy a look. What's North of here? but ignores the oddness for the moment.

She raps on the door three times; then says in her clearest, most carrying voice; "Duhlmil, if you're there, we're coming out. Civvie with us. Don't hit him." And then pulls the door open.

"After you", she says to Coggy.
    "Thank you."

Coggy went outside.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

Avita deadbolts the front door. With Sarim carrying the limp body of Thaddeus, Coggy leads you further down the hallway, through a small door out into open air, and down a short metal staircase to the alley's floor. It is a dark and dirty place, the sunlight mostly blocked by the tall apartment blocks surrounding you, and trash lies everywhere - discarded food, scraps of clothing, bits of splintered wood. A rat darts across the path. Nearly everything is in shades of grey and brown.

Duhlmil stands there, axe resting on his shoulder, looking around with disgust. "Tha' was quick," he remarks. He points to Thaddeus, now slung over Sarim's shoulder. "Whose that?"

9. - Top - End - #1329

"A loyal citizen of Senra in the process of helping the Guard with their inquiries." says Avita smoothly. "Well, let's get moving. And keep an eye out for something fast and with wheels.
    Well, something useful and non-demonic that's fast and with wheels. Well, keep an eye out for that too."

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"A loyal citizen of Senra in the process of helping the Guard with their inquiries." says Avita smoothly. "Well, let's get moving. And keep an eye out for something fast and with wheels.
    Well, something useful and non-demonic that's fast and with wheels. Well, keep an eye out for that too."
    "Sure."

Coggy looks for something fast with wheels.

Spot: (1d20)[9]

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ogre in the Playground

Leaving the dank alley behind, you return to the streets and start back toward the compound. The city is just as deserted as before, but things are starting to quiet down. Smoke no longer fills the air, the distant sounds of battle giving way to eerie silence. After a few minutes, the paralyzing spell wears off Thaddeus, the nobleman regaining control of his body - starting with his mouth. Tied up and firmly clutched in Sarim's arms, there is no chance of him escaping, but he can get up to other mischief.

"Master Cogswell," he sputters, face twisted in fear and frustration. "You have to help me. Please - my family is very wealthy, I'll make sure you never have to work another day in your life. Just save me from these, these - these ruffians!"

12. - Top - End - #1332

Avita speaks quietly and without an ounce of indecision. "Learned Thaddeus, we are warranted officers of the law. Not "ruffians". There are yet ways and means of getting yourself out of this hole that you are in .
    Pray do not make it deeper."

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Yes. What she said. It's a good offer Thaddeus but I think I'll pass for this one."

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ogre in the Playground

Thaddeus begins to struggle in Sarim's arms, wildly, but futilely. He shoots a look of utmost hate toward Coggy, "damn you," then begins to scream in a desperate play for salvation. "Help, help! Call help! Villains! Kidnappers! Brigands! Heeeeeeelp!" After a brief pause to catch his breath, he resumes shouting, his words replaced by incoherent noises. Though the streets are still empty, a handful of concerned faces appear at windows.

15. - Top - End - #1335

Avita bites down on her jaw. I'm getting a ball-gag. I won't even mind the gossip that'll cause.
    Half of it will be true anyway.

"Learned Sir", she says loudly, more for the benefit of onlookers than anyone else. "We are THE LAW. Please help us preserve your dignity and don't make a scene." And then moves close, bringing up her spiked gauntlet as though to ram some iron finger down the sage's throat, and speaks more quietly.

"The Pelorites will be looking for you. The Demons will be looking for you. Both will want you silenced. We want you alive and breathing and helpful. Please be helpful and don't attract the wrong sort of attention."

Intimidate: (1d20+11)[14]

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YossarianLives View Post
    Thaddeus begins to struggle in Sarim's arms, wildly, but futilely. He shoots a look of utmost hate toward Coggy, "damn you," then begins to scream in a desperate play for salvation. "Help, help! Call help! Villains! Kidnappers! Brigands! Heeeeeeelp!" After a brief pause to catch his breath, he resumes shouting, his words replaced by incoherent noises. Though the streets are still empty, a handful of concerned faces appear at windows.
    "Thaddeus calm down. If I agree to help you and your family. Will you promised to stop being an alarmist and don't make a scene?"

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground

Thaddeus' eyes bug out, trying to focus on the finger poised above his mouth. Though clearly still very distressed, he stops shouting, and you are able to continue on your way. The rest of your journey back to the compound is uneventful, save for the occasional morose mutter from Thaddeus: something abouts 'fools,' and 'missing the point.' The normally-bustling streets of Senra are still quiet, curtains drawn, doors locked, shops closed. You pass no more than twenty civilians on the way, all of them skittishly hurrying from place to place. Patrols of guardsmen are more common, travelling in squads of ten, doubtless seeking out stray demons.

After a relatively short walk, you arrive at the barracks, and the compound surrounding it. The guards on post recognize you and pull aside the fortifications to allow access, welcoming you into the stifling crowd once again. Your party - and the captive Thaddeus - get more than a few strange looks, but no one moves to block your way to the prison cells. It makes some time to fight through the crowd, but you soon find what serves as the compound's prison: a large, square tent of drab canvas, adjacent to the barracks itself. A pair of bored gnomish pikemen stand at attention outside but, upon seeing your approach, step in front of the tent flap, barring your way. One raises a hand in greeting. "Hail. What is your business?" He points to Thaddeus, who is looking nothing short of outraged, and asks "who is that?"

18. - Top - End - #1338

"Like I keep saying; he's a loyal citizen of Senra in the process of helping the Guard with our inquiries." says Avita, having long-since resigned herself to having to repeat stuff. "Please show us somewhere we can keep the gentlemen secure, and I'll begin. And send someone to inform the Lieutenant that we have him in custody--oh right, you probably want to see a warrant--" She gives the guards a grim look as she pulls the piece of paper out of her belt-pouch, reads it aloud in a flat voice, turns it around to show it to them just out of their reach for a couple of seconds, then puts it away.

"--and inform the Lieutenant that we have him in custody and that he's welcome to come and be inquiring at his leisure. If you have someplace secure and private, I'd like to get our guest there and start making the inquiries right now. If you can't manage both those things then just "secure" will do. Duhlmil--" a nod of the head in Cogswell's direction. "Guard Mister Cogswell. Guard him close. We'll be speaking with him separately, or someone will."

Assuming there's no further hold-ups, and they can get Thaddeus somewhere suitable, and there's no obvious easedroppers, and he's in no danger of getting away...

Avita has had a stressful twenty-four hours. And the last couple of him have been downright annoying. And she's in the mood right now to perform unnecessary brain surgery at the next person who looks at her funny. So she very carefully and precisely gets out her writing materials and prepares to start taking notes.

"Now Learned Sir; I'm sure you understand now that it's a little late to pretend you don't know what's happening. Let's have that conversation we should have had three days ago." She wets her pen. "For starters, tell me what you know about a certain handsome golden-eyed fellow of a presumably Abyssal origin?"

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

The guard merely nods, and pulls open the tent flap while his partner runs off to inform Lieutenant Kresh. The interior of the prison is dark and dirty, lit only by the scant sunlight creeping in under the canvas walls. Five rudimentary prison cells have been hastily constructed of wood. The doors of all but one are closed and locks, blocking your view of whoever is contained inside. Another bored soldier stands guard here, but after a few words whispered words from the first soldier, he starts to leave, before stopping at the tent flap and pointing to the empty cell. "You can use that. The Lieutenant will be by shortly." Both guards drop shallow bows and step out, leaving you alone in the prison tent.

The small cell is even darker, unfurnished save for a plain wooden stool and a chamber pot. An unlit candle hangs on the wall nearby. You sit Thaddeus down on the stool, and begin the interrogation. Despite being tied up, intimidated, humiliated, he is defiant. "I'm not saying anything. Until this Lieutenant gets here." He gives you a smug grin. "I'm interested to see what he has to say about you dragging innocent people out of their homes in chains, without evidence. Casting invasive spells on them. Threatening my their lives."

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Coggy facepalms to himself.

21. - Top - End - #1341

Avita clenches her gauntleted fist, but just starts writing. "In that case I'll summarize some of your comments following the time we instructed you to accompany us here, just while it's fresh in my mind.

"Let's see; you begged to let us not to do this, and offered to tell us what we wanted to know in exhange--I think that could be considered a bribe attempt, given that you know we have a personal interest in these issues--you expressed the fear of torture--or something, I recall your precise words being a little muddled--and of execution. Following the latter you used words such as "you know what they do to traitors", thus putting it very much in the mind of the listener that you are or that you consider yourself a traitor or that you might have done things that might reasonably have been considered traitorous.

"You further went on to say something like "All I've done is for the good of the city, but that the Guard will not see it that way", implying that you might be aware that some of your actions have been less than legal."
    Avita leans forward. "You've already told us you're not an innocent man, Learned Sir. And people are dying because you will not come clean on what you know."

She leans back again, and just stares at Thaddeus unblinking for a few moments.

"People in this city. This place where we live. The place your family lives. Mine. Dying. Because you'd rather play the little boy with his hand stuck in the biscuit barrel claiming he wasn't stealing biscuit. It's a funny thing. I'm operating under a warrant. I really don't know if I can command torturers or not. It's really a question I've no interest in finding out." Her hand flares black around her inkpen, sucking some of the light and warmth out of the room.

"I have it on some authority though, that the Lieutenant certainly can. And I know he's a very busy man with little time to spare."

"Tell me about our golden-eyed pretty boy."

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

Thaddeus tries to meet Avita's gaze... but he cannot. For a few moments, he stares at the ground, expression pained, the cogs visibly turning in his head. "Fine" he says, still looking down.

He takes a deep breath, then begins his story in a toneless voice. "It all began about two months ago. The demonic invasion was in full swing, the Guard still struggling to contain them within Black Shingle. Myself and Captain Parker had been fast friends since I relocated to this city some years ago, and I knew how much the strain was wearing on him. He hardly slept, always trying to think up new strategies. Analyzing the demon's movements. You know. We trusted one another, shared every secret. So, of course, when he realized the demons could not be driven back by brute force alone, Parker turned to me as a partner."

At this, he pauses, seemingly unsure how to proceed. Eventually he settles on an approach. "Parker received a message from the... other side. The golden-eyed demon, Laelth. If he can be trusted - as I believe is the case - then the demonic army is far from the greatest threat that faces this city. The Children - the Zeghid? - are some kind of extradimensional plague. They exist for nothing but violence, and the rhythm of those infernal drums! Usually, they travel in groups of no more than a few dozen - but the flames of war binds them together, creating unruly warbands numbering in the tens of thousands. They reproduce almost faster than they can be killed, and the only thing stopping them from conquering the Abyss are the endless wars they wage upon themselves." Thaddeus takes a deep breath, a glint of passion returning to his eyes. "And now, the rift in Black Shingle is allowing them to escape into our world. Somehow."

"So "golden boy" - Laelth - offered us a deal. Help him retrieve an artifact located deep within the Senrish College's archives, protected by enchantments of great power. In return, he would use it to get the Children under control. Save both our worlds from a terrible catastrophe. We accepted, and together me and Parker were able to find one capable of disabling the protective spells. Laelth launched a retrieval mission soon afterwards." At this, Thaddeus chuckles humourlessly. "I tried to hire you to accompany them. It's probably for the best..." He shakes his head, as if ridding himself of a particularly bothersome pest.

"There. Satisfied?"

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YossarianLives View Post
    Thaddeus tries to meet Avita's gaze... but he cannot. For a few moments, he stares at the ground, expression pained, the cogs visibly turning in his head. "Fine" he says, still looking down.

He takes a deep breath, then begins his story in a toneless voice. "It all began about two months ago. The demonic invasion was in full swing, the Guard still struggling to contain them within Black Shingle. Myself and Captain Parker had been fast friends since I relocated to this city some years ago, and I knew how much the strain was wearing on him. He hardly slept, always trying to think up new strategies. Analyzing the demon's movements. You know. We trusted one another, shared every secret. So, of course, when he realized the demons could not be driven back by brute force alone, Parker turned to me as a partner."

At this, he pauses, seemingly unsure how to proceed. Eventually he settles on an approach. "Parker received a message from the... other side. The golden-eyed demon, Laelth. If he can be trusted - as I believe is the case - then the demonic army is far from the greatest threat that faces this city. The Children - the Zeghid? - are some kind of extradimensional plague. They exist for nothing but violence, and the rhythm of those infernal drums! Usually, they travel in groups of no more than a few dozen - but the flames of war binds them together, creating unruly warbands numbering in the tens of thousands. They reproduce almost faster than they can be killed, and the only thing stopping them from conquering the Abyss are the endless wars they wage upon themselves." Thaddeus takes a deep breath, a glint of passion returning to his eyes. "And now, the rift in Black Shingle is allowing them to escape into our world. Somehow."

"So "golden boy" - Laelth - offered us a deal. Help him retrieve an artifact located deep within the Senrish College's archives, protected by enchantments of great power. In return, he would use it to get the Children under control. Save both our worlds from a terrible catastrophe. We accepted, and together me and Parker were able to find one capable of disabling the protective spells. Laelth launched a retrieval mission soon afterwards." At this, Thaddeus chuckles humourlessly. "I tried to hire you to accompany them. It's probably for the best..." He shakes his head, as if ridding himself of a particularly bothersome pest.

"There. Satisfied?"
    "Makes sense to me."

24. - Top - End - #1344

Avita's pen scritches. "Pretty Boy, I call him. Not "Golden Boy". That's obsolete Moskvan Empire slang for a rich man's catamite". She holds up her parchment, briefly, frowning at her handwriting, then turns her head to the side.

"Duhlmil. Please remove Mr Cogswell--that's the Gnome--from this room and guard him.We'll speak with him separately" Then turns back to Thaddeus. "That all seems to fit what I've seen so-far, Learned Sir. But I have some questions."

"Why would you, in the name of saving the city, conspire to hand over what seems to amount to a weapon of mass destruction to our cities enemies? Especially since the object in question was part of our cities assets from the start and all you needed to have done was inform our own sages of its importance?"

"Also; and I'll confide in you in this, Learned Sir, I've run into Pretty Laelth a couple of times now; on both occasions he's had the rod in his possession, and on both occasions he's certainly not had control over the Handymen. In fact, he's been on the verge of being mobbed by them."

"From where do you get your information that the rod will do what you apparently believe it will do? Because from what I've seen; either your Pretty Friend the Knight-Errant is an extremely poor user of it, or it doesn't do what you believe it to."

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

Duhlmil nods eagerly and turns to Coggy, smiling unpleasantly. "Alright, gnome. You're coming with me." He begins ushering Coggy out of the cell, not bothering to be gentle.

Thaddeus looks slightly confused by Avita's words, but follows along as best he can.

"The artifact was not a weapon," he says, as if it should be obvious. According to Laelth, it is specifically designed to control the Children. When turned on anything else, it is merely a lump of crystal." A note of skepticism enters his voice. "He also claimed that it could only be used by a demon. I am not well-versed in magical lore, but that seems highly unlikely. Parker disagreed." He pauses. "Perhaps I should have explained myself better. By the time Laelth contacted us, his forces had already conquered the College. Securing it for ourselves seemed nigh impossible. Better that he had it than no one."

The second question leaves Thaddeus looking quite astonished. "I don't know what to say. Me and Parker were able to find records on the artifact from several hundred years ago.
    They took some time to decipher, but seemed to corroborate Laelth's theory. Perhaps it was a matter of limited time? As you say, he was in immediate danger on both occasions. As I understand it,
    the artifact takes some time to activate and requires the user to be in within a short distance of the affected Children."

26. - Top - End - #1346

"Or very possibly he's been lying to you." said Avita flatly. "On the second occasion of which I speak he had a semi-fortified position available and guards with him. If time was the issue he could have held out long enough. Yet he first begged us to let him join us, and when we refused, he skedaddled. Anyway--"

She leans forward again. "-assuming he's not telling porkies; exactly what do you suppose he,
    an enemy commander, is likely to do with the Zangle-Bangles should he get control of them? Start a street theatre troupe? Learned Sir, I honestly hope that there's more to your thinking than this."
    She dangles the parchment before her in a Prunesqualor pinch, corner held between thumb and forefinger, other fingers curling back in successively smaller Cs, and her lip twitches. This is one rubbish evil plan. But she sighs and moves on.

"Who was it that disabled the protective spells for you, and how did you obtain their cooperation?"

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

Thaddeus looks somewhat offended, as if he has suffered a great insult. "I understand your reasons for being doubtful. I was too. But this demon, this Laelth - he really does seem to be a reasonable fellow. Dignified. Polite. Cultured, in his own way. I know we've had our-" a sharp intake of breath "-differences. But we really can't allow ourselves to be blinded by hate. He may be an enemy, but I firmly believe that the Honourable Laelth will not break his word."

He moves on, answering Avita's next question. "Another acquaintance of Parker's, an old tutor of his, I believe. An elven sage by the name of Kathe. She lives in a cottage outside the city walls. Very proud, but she seemed talented enough. And eager to help Parker. No persuasion was required."

28. - Top - End - #1348

You are the stupidest man alive, and I feel the worse just speaking with you. Is what Avita would like to say, but that wouldn't be productive.

So instead, she starts making a copy of what she's already written for the benefit of handing it to the lieutenant. "Sarim! We're going to need a squad and we're going to need it soon. Brin's a little too valuable; but check that guy who tried to murder us the other day and see if he's up for not being a nuisance. He should be in one of the next cells. Then check the messhalls for anyone up for aught. I want a good team gathered here before the Lieutenant arrives because I want to move. Can you do that?"

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Coggy is confused about the whole situation.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ogre in the Playground

Thaddeus falls silent, slumping his shoulders and looking thoroughly discouraged.

Now standing just outside the tent in the bustling crowd of the compound, Duhlmil turns to Coggy, laying a hand on his shoulder. "Look me in the eye, boy." His hazel eyes are piercing, filled with anger, hate, impatience. "These next few days willnae' be easy. Can ye' fight? I hope so. Yer' a suspect now, an' I don't expect they'll be lettin' ye' go home anytime soon."