New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: The Black Shingle Fiasco

Sarim lets out another battle cry and recklessly swings at the hybrid with his glaive, feeling more alive than ever despite his injuries, exhaustion, and frustration. It's been a long time since he'd been in such a fight, and in the back of his mind he almost hoped it would never end.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage: [roll]2d8+10 [/roll]
    Spoiler: On 24
    Show
    Confirm: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage: [roll]2d8+10 [/roll] + [roll]2d8+10 [/roll]

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking rather startled, Sycarus bursts into action, kneeling by the unconscious crossbowman. The Adept completes a spell, casting the energies into the gnome's body - the bleeding stops, the open wound replaced by a ruddy scab, but the guardsman does not rise. It seem's Sycarus' power is quickly running out.

Avita thrusts her hand at a hybrid's face, causing the creature to scream and recoil as black rot spreads over its scales. Then, with a pop, as one the swarming bats vanish. There is the briefest moment, as both gnomes and demons look around in confusion, then the guardsmen fall upon their enemies with a cry of "Senra!" They batter the hybrids with their swords, killing one and severely wounding the other. Shuffling around to the hybrid's flank, Eric takes another small swing and misses. Surrounded by foes on all sides and facing certain death, the last hybrid fights like a wild dog, frantically slicing at the gnomes. Taken aback by this display of force, the gnomes are unprepared - one prematurely drops his guard and takes a sword just above the heart, dropping like a bag of bricks.

Below, the gnomes break ranks and fall upon the lone hybrid, while Ygor stays behind to tend to the downed pikeman. Pulling a crude medical kit from his bag, the sergeant presses bandages to the wound, failing to staunch the bleeding. Backed up by the gnomes, Sarim and Andras make short work of the final fiend - unbalanced by prick's of the guardsmen's swords, the hybrid cannot hope to react to the larger warrior's attack - it loses an arm to Andras' glaive, only for Sarim to come in for the killing blow, cleaving the demon in half. Somewhere between shock and elation, the guardsmen slump, the adrenaline draining out of them.

Show
    Only 1 hybrid left up above, another gnome down. Your turn.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YossarianLives View Post
    Looking rather startled, Sycarus bursts into action, kneeling by the unconscious crossbowman. The Adept completes a spell, casting the energies into the gnome's body - the bleeding stops, the open wound replaced by a ruddy scab, but the guardsman does not rise. It seem's Sycarus' power is quickly running out.

Avita thrusts her hand at a hybrid's face, causing the creature to scream and recoil as black rot spreads over its scales. Then, with a pop, as one the swarming bats vanish. There is the briefest moment, as both gnomes and demons look around in confusion, then the guardsmen fall upon their enemies with a cry of "Senra!" They batter the hybrids with their swords, killing one and severely wounding the other. Shuffling around to the hybrid's flank, Eric takes another small swing and misses. Surrounded by foes on all sides and facing certain death, the last hybrid fights like a wild dog, frantically slicing at the gnomes. Taken aback by this display of force, the gnomes are unprepared - one prematurely drops his guard and takes a sword just above the heart, dropping like a bag of bricks.

Below, the gnomes break ranks and fall upon the lone hybrid, while Ygor stays behind to tend to the downed pikeman. Pulling a crude medical kit from his bag, the sergeant presses bandages to the wound, failing to staunch the bleeding. Backed up by the gnomes, Sarim and Andras make short work of the final fiend - unbalanced by prick's of the guardsmen's swords, the hybrid cannot hope to react to the larger warrior's attack - it loses an arm to Andras' glaive, only for Sarim to come in for the killing blow, cleaving the demon in half. Somewhere between shock and elation, the guardsmen slump, the adrenaline draining out of them.

Show
    Only 1 hybrid left up above, another gnome down. Your turn.
    Eric continues to fight defensively to stall the Demon Hybrid even more.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avita is annoyed. Because there's a Hybrid still alive. Because there's another Gnome down at this last moment and she takes that personally. And because she's got a last trick left and people won't back off and let her use it. "Dismembered spinal cords twitching in Cabal Macabre" she snarls at the last Hybrid. "You'll be the stains on our boots! The smears on our walls! We'll use your dead as weapons! And you're going to DIE!"

Spoiler: Charnal Touch
    Show

Touch Attack [roll]1d20+4(flank)[/roll]
    Damage (1d8+1)[9]
    Spoiler: Crit stuff
    Show
    Confirm (1d20+4)[24]
    Extra Dam (1d8+1)[7]

5. - Top - End - #995

[Okay, that screws up the attack roll. Trying again.]

Touch Attack:(1d20+4)[17]

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Sword still drenched in gnomish blood, the last hybrid looks at Avita's words. Its last sight is of a burst of black and purple energy, before it falls to the ground a desiccated corpse. Barely sparing a look at the fallen demon, Sycarus rushes over to the bleeding gnome and chants a brief incantation, stabilizing its wounds in much the same fashion. Stunned, the few guardsmen still standing look around at the carnage in awe.

Down below, Ygor manages to bandage up the injured gnome, and not a moment too soon. Cursing under his breath, he sinks to the floor. For a few moments, silence lays over the devastated squadron.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sword still drenched in gnomish blood, the last hybrid looks at Avita's words. Its last sight is of a burst of black and purple energy, before it falls to the ground a desiccated corpse. Barely sparing a look at the fallen demon, Sycarus rushes over to the bleeding gnome and chants a brief incantation, stabilizing its wounds in much the same fashion. Stunned, the few guardsmen still standing look around at the carnage in awe.

Down below, Ygor manages to bandage up the injured gnome, and not a moment too soon. Cursing under his breath, he sinks to the floor. For a few moments, silence lays over the devastated squadron.
    Eric approach to Ygor.

"Oh no."

8. - Top - End - #998

Avita stands over the pile of Hybrid corpses for a moment, and sucks her breath in through her teeth.

Then she shoulders her bow and steps to the side, down on her knees, next to the Gnome still unconscious, and does her best to make them comfortable.

Heal (1d20-1)[12]

"My hands are cold. I know." she mutters.

"There was a boy once. A year ahead of me, back at the temple. By day he was a perfect snob to me, and I a rotten little terror to him. But by night we used to meet up, down at the lichyard, amid the smell of eucalyptus and the shine of moonlight on marble and the names of the dead. And he used to say my touch was like the night's wind. Cool and soft.

"He was lying, of course. They always are."

It's been a long combat.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

Sycarus stands to make room for Avita, nods his approval, then goes downstairs to check on the others. The two remaining crossbowmen watch Avita with sunken eyes, listening. Though she is unable to restore the gnome to consciousness, his wounds have been tightly bound and infection seems unlikely. With any luck, he will wake after some rest.

Face haggard, Ygor stands and addresses Eric in a gravelly voice. "How goes it up above? The demons are dead?"

In total, three of the guardsmen have been incapacitated, with almost everyone else suffering minor wounds. The Adept's power has been all but expended, and the time till relief is indeterminate.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sycarus stands to make room for Avita, nods his approval, then goes downstairs to check on the others. The two remaining crossbowmen watch Avita with sunken eyes, listening. Though she is unable to restore the gnome to consciousness, his wounds have been tightly bound and infection seems unlikely. With any luck, he will wake after some rest.

Face haggard, Ygor stands and addresses Eric in a gravelly voice. "How goes it up above? The demons are dead?"

In total, three of the guardsmen have been incapacitated, with almost everyone else suffering minor wounds. The Adept's power has been all but expended, and the time till relief is indeterminate.
    "Yes. The demons are dead. All of them Ygor. Anyway I know it's a bad time to say anything but I believe this is a serious problem way beyond our control."

11. - Top - End - #1001

There's a creak as Avita appears on the ladder behind Eric, face set and eyes black. "Still better off here than getting ambushed in the open. Wish we could do something about putting spikes or blades around the edge of the roof. Didn't know those things could climb; and that nearly killed us. What happened up there--I can't do it again today".

Her gaze flicks to the prisoner, and to the carpet of dead down in the bottom level. Eyes linger a little on the runic spears. "Like to get Brin here back to talk to someone who knows the sewer system, and if you've captured two of those spears, like to get them back to someone who can study the curse on them. But right now,
    looks like we've got to hope they've shot their bolt, and wait until we get backup."

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

Ygor lets out a sigh of relief. "You're not wrong, Spade. I'm not sure we can survive another attack like that." He turns to Avita looking disgruntled, mutters something too quiet to hear,
    and then repeats it louder. "You've done well. Our resources are limited but... if we can help..."
    He pauses. "Anything helps. Let's just hope this doesn't last much longer."

The gnomes begin the arduous task of shifting the corpses out into the square while others set the demonic spears aside, careful not to touch the tips.

What next?

13. - Top - End - #1003

Avita looks down at Ygor with cool eyes. "Sir, if they do come at us again, we're going to need more people on the roof." And then she breaks off. This man has stopped trying to control anything. She turns to the prisoner.

"Brin of the Deshid. If you can handle a sword and shield, feel free to come to the roof and take your pick. If you are serious about defending Marion, you might well do it better armed." And if he was going to turn on us, he should have done it two minutes ago.

With that, she heads back up the ladder and begins the job of stripping the Hybrid corpses of anything that looks useful, then dumping them over the side of the tower.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Ygor. I have this theory about the demons taking over Black Shingle. Brin Of The Deshid mention that he was came from the abyss along with 100,000+ demons with him. If my theory is correct that means not only the demons will not only take over the Black Shingle but only 1/4 of the country as well. We could try to kill as many demons as possible but we're not prepared to kill 100,000+ demons."

15. - Top - End - #1005

Avita twitches her head back at Eric. "Cottonbud, he said NO SUCH THING. He mentioned five thousand of his own clan. Did not quote numbers for anything else. We have seen no sign of such a host. Black Shingle is mostly a ghost city. And Brin isn't even a demon." She turns back to her work.

"Make yourself useful somewhere".

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Avita twitches her head back at Eric. "Cottonbud, he said NO SUCH THING. He mentioned five thousand of his own clan. Did not quote numbers for anything else. We have seen no sign of such a host. Black Shingle is mostly a ghost city. And Brin isn't even a demon." She turns back to her work.

"Make yourself useful somewhere".
    "Oh I must have misheard him the actual number."

17. - Top - End - #1007

Avita gives the horizon a blank look. "Keen Elven senses, Ladies and Gentleman. And our scout", she says deadpan.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Anyway 5,000 is still a lot and I don't think we could handle that much unless somebody else have a better solution how to handle it."

19. - Top - End - #1009

Avita's tone is the very careful one people use right before they go higurashi. "Eric, before worrying about fighting five thousand demons, you should figure out how to fight one. And I cannot imagine this sort of talk making you very popular".

She gives a Hybrid corpse a shove over the parapet to splatter on the stones below. "Like I said:
    make yourself useful. It's about time."

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Avita's tone is the very careful one people use right before they go higurashi. "Eric, before worrying about fighting five thousand demons, you should figure out how to fight one. And I cannot imagine this sort of talk making you very popular".

She gives a Hybrid corpse a shove over the parapet to splatter on the stones below. "Like I said:
    make yourself useful. It's about time."
    "Avita. This is the first time you actually say my actual first name or if I miss that one as well. But I understand what you're saying. I'll make myself useful. I'll check and see if there any surprise demons out there."

Eric walks around to see and listens if there's any demons out there.

Spot: (1d20+7)[14]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[12]

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

Ygor follows Avita and Eric up the damaged stairs, watching their exchange with trepidation. More than anything, the other guardsmen seem confused. Brin tags along, clearly uncomfortable with the sergeant's presence. When the two are finished arguing, Ygor pipes up. "Five thousand or a hundred thousand... We cannot fight that alone. Let's hope the demon are occupied with Parker's excursion. I'll see to my people, Santiago, you see to yours... And," he shoots the young demonspawn a glare, "keep an eye on this one."

Brin quietly thanks Avita and then begins scrounging among the hybrid corpses, eventually arming himself with a curved sword and one of their shields. He takes up watch on the battlements, opposite from the crossbowmen, looking out over the burnt city. Eric soon joins hum, keeping a keen eye out for intruders, but seeing nothing.

A quick search of the bodies reveals little more than their arms and armour - a handful of the hybrids carried small wooden charms, copper coins, or strips of dried meat, but nothing of great value.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric continues to look and listen for intruders.

Spot: (1d20+7)[17]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[9]

23. - Top - End - #1013

Avita's fuses burn short, and she stands and faces Ygor. "Sergeant. We knew we were in a war.
    Is it that relevatory that the enemy has an army? And this is not helpful talk. We've demolished them this day. Let us focus on that."
    She turns back to her work.

"As long as they can climb, the roof is not secure. And the most important part of our position.
    Yet we are short-handed here. Please send up Sarim or Andras. You do not need seven to hold that doorway, and we could use more."

The dried meat is looking tempting, since Avita hasn't eaten since breakfast. But she's less than enthusiastic about snacking on anything carried by these monsters. The coins and charms she inspects, seeing if she recognises any of the symbols.

K/Religion (1d20+7)[14]

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks as if Ygor wants to spit out a retort, but instead he growls "Fine," and stumps down the stairs. The guardsmen exchange looks, then return to their posts.

The coins are all marked with Abyssal lettering, but nothing that Avita can recognize - the charms are much the same, a few bearing the spiked wheel of the arch-fiend, Anckor the Bloody. Others seem to be marked with a frog, of all things.

Show
    I'm assuming Andras and Sarim don't object to moving upstairs, feel free to correct me.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

With your attention focused on keeping watch, the time passes quickly, and before you know it, afternoon has arrived. Occasionally, you hear sounds from the battlefield, a scream or bellowed order, the clash of weapons and, once, what sounds like a building collapsing. Despite the sprinkling rain, thick smoke clouds billow up from Black Shingle and, disturbingly, beyond the wall, in friendly territory. A few of the soldiers mutter darkly, but do not move from their posts. Far over ahead, flocks of the garish scout demons fly every which way.

Then, perhaps two hours after your encounter with the hybrids, Eric catches sight of movement in a ruined house across the square - he sees only a flash of something metallic, before whatever it is slinks back into the darkness. The gnomes do not seem to have noticed anything.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

With your attention focused on keeping watch, the time passes quickly, and before you know it, afternoon has arrived. Occasionally, you hear sounds from the battlefield, a scream or bellowed order, the clash of weapons and, once, what sounds like a building collapsing. Despite the sprinkling rain, thick smoke clouds billow up from Black Shingle and, disturbingly, beyond the wall, in friendly territory. A few of the soldiers mutter darkly, but do not move from their posts. Far over ahead, flocks of the garish scout demons fly every which way.

Then, perhaps two hours after your encounter with the hybrids, Eric catches sight of movement in a ruined house across the square - he sees only a flash of something metallic, before whatever it is slinks back into the darkness. The gnomes do not seem to have noticed anything.
    "Hey everybody. What's that flashing light over at the ruined house?" Eric point the flashing light at the ruined house.

27. - Top - End - #1017

Avita, of course, doesn't see a flashing light. Because they're isn't one. But she's getting used to Eric's antagonistic relationship with reality by now and simply advances to the edge of the roof, an arrow notched as she faces the building the Drow has indicated.

"HAIL THE HOUSE!!, she gives a carrying shout. "Anyone there? Show yourselves, please!"

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

Whipping around at the noise, Brin and the gnomes crowd over to where Eric is standing, looking curiously at the house. There is no sign of movement. After a few awkward moments of silence, a guardsman opens his mouth to speak when a creature appears in the air next to Avita's head. No larger than a baby, the creature has shriveled green skin, a long, pointy tail, flapping bat-like wings, and curled horns protruding from its forehead. It grins, exposing a row of sharp fangs, and sinks both claws into Avita's side, leaving a row of lacerations. Immediately, she can feel poison from the creature's claws entering her bloodstream, arresting reflexes and leaving her disorientated.

At the same time, the door of the ruined house bursts open, disgorging ten more hybrids. Screeching their murderous intent, they storm across the square, almost reaching the base of the tower. Yelling in surprise and fear, the gnomes draw their swords and prepare to repel the demons one more time.

Show

Avita rolls two fortitude saves, a 15 and an 8, failing the latter. She takes 4 regular damage and 1 dexterity damage.

Combat begins again! Turn to your party.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric shoots the demon hybrid with his shortbow.

Attack: (1d20+4)[18]
    Damage: (1d6)[5]

Critical:

Attack: (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage: (3d6)[12]

30. - Top - End - #1020

Avita's shock at being attacked out of the blue is somewhat mitigated by the attacker being entirely ineffective against her. "You silly-ass little Imp. Who's an idiot what doesn't know what he's dealing with? That'll be you." And directs a black-flaring attack at the Quasit.

Spoiler: Charnal Touch
    Show
    Touch Attack (1d20+2)[6]
    Damage (1d8+1)[8]
    Spoiler: Crit stuff if needed
    Show
    Confirm (1d20+2)[9]
    Extra Damage (1d8+1)[7]

"Somebody KILL this little fool before he does something effective!"