New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: The Black Shingle Fiasco

Eric shut his mouth closed in preventing to say something stupid.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Firbolg in the Playground

Avita (assuming she's still awake) is feeling much more chipper after some food and especially water; as she has for much of the afternoon been cursing the encumbrance system which precludes her, a human of above-average strength, from carrying any more than the most basic of gear.

"You hardly need ask our permission before doing things, Divine Sycarus" she says. "Of course the Sergeant should be informed. However, I think she'd be better served by something to eat and drink before we get to any "questioning"".

She kneels beside the gnome and takes her hands in her own, forgetting for a moment the chill of her touch, and grasps for something reassuring to say. Frell it; "It's okay, you're safe" would be an outright lie wouldn't it? so what she says is; "Be calm. We're here. It's quiet for now."

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ogre in the Playground

Sycarus nods. "Nevertheless, I will pass the word along and let Sergeant Ygor decide for himself." Pausing only briefly to look over his charges, the Adept descends to the main floor.

As Avita approaches, Brin tenses up, but says nothing. For a moment, Marion stares at Avita in confusion, then comprehension dawns on her face. She tries to sit up, but winces and sinks back to the floor. "It's you... What do you want with me. With us."

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric was surprised that female gnome somehow know Avita.

"Avita do you know her?"

5. - Top - End - #1085

Avita speaks quietly. "We've come to take and hold this building in the name of the Senra City Guard. It's all quite exciting. I know you're probably not feeling at your best but it might be helpful if you'd gave us some idea of what's been happening here since-" she raises her voice slightly for the Drow's benefit, "-we last spoke a little over a week ago."

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Avita speaks quietly. "We've come to take and hold this building in the name of the Senra City Guard. It's all quite exciting. I know you're probably not feeling at your best but it might be helpful if you'd gave us some idea of what's been happening here since-" she raises her voice slightly for the Drow's benefit, "-we last spoke a little over a week ago."
    "Ok. Thank you for your honesty."

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't take long for the gnome to recover her vitriol. "Your meddling riled the demons up - we were doing well enough before you showed up and started killing them left, right and centre. After the others left, it was just me and..." She pauses, looking questioning at Brin. "Just me and Brin. More of his kind - real brutes - showed up, tried to kill us. Brin here, he fought them off. Not just once, but twice! But there was only so much he could do against so many - one of the fiends stuck me with their sword... I confess I don't remember much after that." Brin gently interjects. "This was yesterday."

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric made a frown and spoke to Marion.

"You're blaming us for doing our jobs?"

9. - Top - End - #1089

Avita doesn't blink. "So. We come to pick up your people over a week ago. Demons attack yesterday. And somehow the former is responsible for the latter. Marion; what were you doing squatting in the middle of warzone to begin with?"

She darts a glance at Brin. "I can guess: protecting your new friend. Marion; if you'd told us about Brin then, and vouched for him, we'd have taken you both back; and, given Brin appears to be in possession of some useful information, been a week further along on getting a grasp of what's going on. What was your plan? Just sit here and hope Demons wouldn't act like Demons?"

"Enough." She withdraws her hands and stands straight. "The Sergeant will speak with you. I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear your version for how it's all his fault as well."

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

Marion bites back a response, looking daggers at all of you. But even the short argument seems to have drained her limited energy, sighing she sinks back into the pile of blankets, her eyes half-closed. Brin speaks a few quiet words in her ear, makes sure she is comfortable, then stands to his full height. Even with the characteristic hunch of the demonspawn, he towers over all of you, reminding you all too clearly of his heritage. Black eyes blazing like coals, he opens his mouth to protest, and is interrupted by a muffled shout from below.

A few seconds later, one of the pikemen comes racing up the stairs, fear and surprise plain on his face. "You'd better come see," he blurts out, before running back the way he came. You follow.

Below, the gnomes are clustered around the barricade, anxiously peering into the streets - just rounding a corner into view, perhaps half a minute's brisk run from your location, is a veritable army of demons. Hybrids are easily the most numerous, carrying their curved swords or spears, while one lugs a fluttering banner bearing the Spiked Wheel. Several slender humanoids in black plate lead the charge, obviously trying to shout some semblance of order into the horde, while twisted hounds the colour of embers nip at their heels. Tall, long-legged skeletal beings covered from head to toe in deep red ichor lurk near the fringes, batting at the air with claws the length of a gnomish child. A handful of demonspawn stagger along, struggling to keep up with the greater demons. All of them are rushing in the direction of the tower, almost trampling themselves in their hurry, completely heedless of any resistance you might offer.

Ygor looks at you in horror, speechless.

11. - Top - End - #1091

Avita is already making for the ladder. "Forget the ground floor, get upstairs. Two pikemen to defend the stairway, everyone else onto the roof. And last one up see if they can't smash the ladder behind them."

She checks her quiver as she makes for the rungs leading up to the roof. Ten arrows left, her Charnal Touch, and a negative energy burst. Well--make the best of it. "You'd better come see", he says. What sort of alert is "you'd better come see?". Well, no sense dashing anyone's spirits now.

"Sarim, I'm sorry. We'll be needing you to take that rest later. Looks like we are suddenly in seriously bad company. Yes, I know it's getting a mite monotonous."

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Sarim sighs with frustration as he stands up. "Of ****in' course.." He climbs the ladder and looks for his bow, hoping it hadn't broken when thrown in his earlier haste.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ogre in the Playground

The guardsmen spring into action, Ygor barking out Avita's orders, and race up the stairs behind her. Drawing their swords, the last two pikemen hack at the rickety wooden steps. Clearly, their condition was even worse than you suspected, as the gnomes are soon rewarded by a tremendous crash as the stairs fall to the floor in a heap. The pair take their pikes in hand, keeping a close eye on the barricade, and what lies beyond. Brin, still kneeling on the floor, gapes at them, before scrambling to his feet and running after the others to the roof. Marion just glares at you, halfway between confusion and bemusement.

From the tower's top, you can see the demonic host in all its glory: over two hundred bodies, you would guess, all running as if a dragon was after them. A mix of clanking armour, battle cries, inhuman howls, and raw screams fill the air. Within the horde, you catch the occasional glimpse of a flailing tentacle, a flapping wing, a handful of eyestalks. Clutching their weapons tight, Brin and the gnomes look to you for instruction.

Spoiler: Andras' eyes only
    Show
    Even from this distance, Andras cannot help but notice something about the demons' mannerisms - though certainly aggressive, it is clear that is not a charge, but a retreat.
    Perhaps even a rout.

14. - Top - End - #1094

Avita advances to the battlements, teeth showing with a grin and a wild excitement. So, this is where we pass. It's all so simple now. Just got to keep fighting 'til we can't.

She notches an arrow and raises the bow. Wouldn't liked more time, and more to my credit for when I stand before my Lady. But this will do. This is a good way to go.

"Anyone with a bow!" she shouts. "I have an itch to see that little rag of theirs drag in the muck! Let's put their wheel in a rut!. And shoots an arrow at the Hybrid bearing the Wheel banner.

Spoiler: Twang
    Show
    Not sure of range, so haven't included minuses.
    Attack (1d20+3)[16]
    Damage (1d8)[6]
    Spoiler: Critty stuff if needed.
    Show
    Confirm (1d20+3)[21]
    ExtraDam (2d8)[8]

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric grabs his shortbow and shoots the demon hybrid with his shortbow.

Attack: (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]

Critical:

Attack: (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage: (3d6)[6]

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ogre in the Playground

Andras, Avita, Eric, and Sarim all loose arrows - Andras using her light crossbow, the others wielding conventional bows. While the others fall short of the charging army, Avita and Eric strike home - the standard bearer stumbles, nearly dropping the banner, but recovers at the last moment. Soon, it is again keeping pace with its comrade, wildly waving the crimson standard high above its head. The demons are getting steadily closer, now enough that you can pick out the grisly details: what appears to be a land-dwelling octopus, an otherwise unremarkable woman with five eyes, a gnome's head mounted on a spear. The noises coalesce into a single, drawn out crescendo, a screech of raw emotion loud enough to drown out all other sound.

Then, hot on the demon's heels, another group rounds the corner. Soldiers in concealing heavy plate, shorter than a human, but taller than a gnome, each armed with a mace or battleaxe. Numbering no more than half the demonic host, they storm after them, blue and red plumes streaming in the wind. Curiously, the demons seem to be fleeing from their stalwart assailants - and, what is more, the short humanoids are gaining on them.

Caught between relief and contempt, Ygor turns to you and utters a single word. "Mercenaries."

17. - Top - End - #1097

Avita flicks a glance at the Sergeant as she notches another shaft. "Like us, d'ye mean?" and sights again at the hybrid standard bearer. "Bring me down that fellow! I WANT HIM PLUMED!" she shouts, and shoots in like fashion.

Spoiler: *CLACK* (because I've figured out Longbows don't go "Twang")
    Show
    To hit (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage (1d8)[6]
    Spoiler: Crit stuff
    Show
    Confirm (1d20+3)[22]
    Extra Dam (2d8)[7]

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Eric continues to shoot the demon hybrid with his shortbow

Attack: (1d20+4)[22]
    Damage: (1d6)[2]

Critical:

Attack: (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage: (3d6)[8]

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ogre in the Playground

Another volley of fire; Eric and Avita, both skilled archers, hit, while Sarim and Andras' missiles deflect off a demonspawn's raised shield. The standard bearer takes one arrow in the shoulder, then another to the back as it turns to flee. Bleeding and disorientated, it goes prone - alive, and still holding the banner aloft, its comrades-in-arms mostly concealing it from those on the tower. A handful of the hybrids wave swords angrily in your direction, shouting curses, but they have bigger concerns. At the behest of their masters - the slender creatures in shiny black armour, who you now recognize as similar to the devious rod-bearer you encountered back at the College - the demons come to a halt, ready to meet the stocky mercenaries in combat. They present a wicked array of weapons, from the enchanted spears to massive mauls, but the newcomers are not discouraged. They come on fast as before, their faceless great helms showing no hint of emotion.

At the same time, one of the hunched, skeletal creatures detaches itself from the demonic army and bounds ungainly towards your location, accompanied by four or five demonspawn. Almost half way there, it abruptly comes to a halt, pauses, then it and its companions vanish into thin air.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The standard bearer is in cover, giving it a +4 to AC.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

"It's look like the hybrid is covering very well."

Eric continues to shoot the hybrid with his shortbow.

Attack: (1d20+4)[23]
    Damage: (1d6)[6]

Critical:

Attack: (1d20+4)[19]
    Damage: (3d6)[8]

21. - Top - End - #1101

"That's...interesting" says Avita, darting a glance over her shoulder to make sure nothing's just appeared on the roof with them. Some Demons can teleport but I've not heard they can take others with them.

Was I right way back then? Is there something about this tower that stops the Greater Demons from being able to approach it? Is it something to do with Marion being conscious? Is that how she lasted here so long?

So why did the Deshid vanish?

Assuming there isn't a Babau behind her about to lash out; she turns her attention back toward the fight below. "Right! Looks like we've plucked his chicken! Go for the Hybrids with the spears!"

They have no shields and they're easier to hit, is what she doesn't bother saying as she lines up another shot.

Spoiler: *CLACK*
    Show

At whatever spear-armed Hybrid looks closest and is out of combat.
    To-Hit (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage (1d8)[7]
    Spoiler: Critty stuff
    Show
    Confirm (1d20+3)[4]
    Extra Damage (2d8)[9]

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ogre in the Playground

"Could it be invisibility?" Andras asks Avita, while bending down to reload her crossbow.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wow. It's hard to get back into the game after an absence like this one. Sorry everyone for the wait. I can't promise to post regularly but I'll try.

Spoiler: Links & GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

23. - Top - End - #1103

Spoiler: Wkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwkwk...
    Show
    To be honest, not a lot's changed. We're still holding the tower. We're still at the end of our resources, and it's still the same day. I honestly don't think there's a lot many of us could have done to alter the situation.

Except by wimping out and running away, which wouldn't be very helpful.

Although, I think Andras might be the only member of the party with any healing left.

Avita tosses her head as she strings another arrow. "Could be. Got no idea precisely what those things can do. Expect the unexpected and all that. Even if that does lead to a logical conundrum."

Six arrows left..., she thinks as she takes aim.

"Next time we go out, we bring slings. No bullets; just slings. So we've something to shoot after we run out of arrows. We're surrounded by broken masonry. Improvising ammunition will not be a problem."

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite the protection of its friends, Eric lands yet another solid hit on the standard bearer. It dies in a pool of its own blood, the banner clattering to the road. While Avita and Sarim both loose arrows, they go the same direction as the standard, accomplishing nothing. At the same time, the mercenaries come crashing into the demonic warriors. While they initially carve a path through the fiends, felling dozens in seconds, they quickly lose momentum. The battle devolves into a chaotic melee, ordered ranks giving way to a sea of shifting bodies. The outcome seems less than certain, with the mercenaries being better trained and equipped, while the demons surpass them in size and numbers.

Then, there is a loud crack, and for the briefest moment, the city burns around you, smoking belching towards an orange sky, frightened gnomes hounded through the streets by shadowy figures. When the vision ends, the square has flooded with hundreds of the tiny, wriggling, demonic Children - the Zaghifd. They appear smack in the middle of the battle below, while others pour from ruined buildings, alleys, sewers - even a handful from the tower's lowest floor. But the highest concentration is where the skeletal demon vanished from. A tight knot of the wretched demons bursts from there, spreading in every direction like a plague, trampling each other in their hurry. Disturbingly, the cobblestones underneath this concentration of Zaghifd seem have to been transmuted to a pale, fleshy substance, though the structure remains unchanged. The now-familiar drumming of crude bongos assails your ears.

Mere seconds later, another group detaches itself from the demonic host and makes tracks for your tower. Half a dozen of the black-armoured warriors, all slicing at the Zaghifd with longswords, save for one, who seems to be brandishing some sort of glass rod above its head.

25. - Top - End - #1105

"Now there's something you don't see every day." says Avita, as deadpan as she can manage. "Everyone, cease fire until we can get a better idea who we should be shooting at. Sergeant! Check your men on the lower floor. Did they see anything?"

She lowers her bow and sets her teeth. "Some of them came from THIS tower. The space below the floor--THEY clawed that out. What's been happening here?"

And then; because it doesn't seem that anyone's likely to have a helpful answer, she sidesteps toward Brin. "Brin, sir. These black-armoured types, are they of your people?"

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ogre in the Playground

Ygor, jaw slightly slack, nods vaguely and staggers down the stairs to check on the pikemen, clutching his sword hilt with white knuckles. Brin gives the approaching warriors a calculating look, before turning to you. "They are not. Judging by their armour, I'd say they're some of Laelth's cronies, but I can't be sure." Below, the Zaghifd are already starting to overwhelm the demons and mercenaries, who both have the misfortune to be fighting on two fronts. As you watch, even the heavily-armed dwarves - which you realize the mercenaries must be - are dragged to the ground and torn apart by sheer weight of numbers. Not that they don't give the same, and more, in return. Dozens and dozens of the tiny demons are ripped apart by axes, bludgeoned with maces and hammers, skewered on polearms, and mauled by demonic claws - but it is not enough. The Children just keep coming, scrambling eagerly over the corpses of their fallen kindred. If you didn't know better, you might think they actually enjoy being slaughtered. The black armoured demons continue to chop their way through the swarm, the Zaghifd ignoring them, for the most part, being far more interested in the main conflict.

Ygor returns from below, leading a thoroughly perplexed pikeman. He mutters something in the gnome's ear, then pushes him forward. "They appeared outta nowhere," says the gnome, voice dreamy. "One moment we're standing watch, just as the sergeant told us, then I had a vision. Like everything was burning, people dying. Must've been a 'lucination. When I snapped out of it, the lower floor was packed with the buggers, some standing, others rolling on the floor like animals! They ran outside in short order."

27. - Top - End - #1107

Avita looks from Ygor to the pikeman and back again. Why are they suddenly so...spacey? but what she says is; "At ease, Soldier. You're not going insane. I had the same vision. Now, we've got some-" The Wheelers aren't Demons.

"-some Abyssal toughs on the way. Fancy armour and associated pets. Privileged heavy-infantry kit. If they want to take shelter in our ground floor; I say let them. Means they're standing between us and the Handymen and when your enemies are killing each other it's impolite to interrupt. But they are NOT to get up here with us; understand? If they try to set the ladder up, give 'em a poke and yell for help."

Something about the Gnome's manner is really bothering her. "Sergeant? Soldier? Is there some reason you two are looking so sleepy?"

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

This whole turn of events is so confusing. I'm not sure if we should attack Laelth goons or not."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2017-11-24 at 10:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ogre in the Playground

The soldier awkwardly salutes and steps back, returning to his post down below.

Ygor rubs his face with one hand, looking pained. "It's nothing. I'm just... well... surprised." He casts a glance out, toward the unfolding battle. "It's a lot to digest." Ygor pauses and takes a deep breath, clearly trying to calm himself. "I think the drow has good reason to be confused. You really think it's a good idea to let those fiends get close to us? If worse comes to worse,
    I reckon I could peg one with a crossbow from this distance. We can't afford to take risks."

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YossarianLives View Post
    The soldier awkwardly salutes and steps back, returning to his post down below.

Ygor rubs his face with one hand, looking pained. "It's nothing. I'm just... well... surprised." He casts a glance out, toward the unfolding battle. "It's a lot to digest." Ygor pauses and takes a deep breath, clearly trying to calm himself. "I think the drow has good reason to be confused. You really think it's a good idea to let those fiends get close to us? If worse comes to worse,
    I reckon I could peg one with a crossbow from this distance. We can't afford to take risks."
    "So what the plan Ygor? Are we going to let these creeps attack us first or are we going to attack them right away?"