Default Looking for feedback for a Wizard build

Spoiler: build
    Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Lex, level 30
    Deva, Wizard, Divine Oracle, Soul of the World
    Build: Control Wizard
    Arcane Implement Mastery: Orb of Imposition
    Knowledge of Ancient Lives: Knowledge of Ancient Lives (Invoker)
    Second Implement: Tome of Readiness
    White Lotus Dueling Expertise: Choose Implement Proficiency: White Lotus Dueling Expertise (Rod)
    Past Spirit: Past Spirit (Tiefling)
    Past Spirit: Past Spirit (Human)
    Quickened Spellcasting: Hypnotism
    Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
    Theme: Ghost of the Past

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 28, Wis 28, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 47 Fort: 42 Reflex: 43 Will: 50
    HP: 154 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 38

TRAINED SKILLS
    History +35, Arcana +33, Perception +29, Nature +29, Insight +29, Religion +35

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +16, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +24, Endurance +17, Heal +24, Intimidate +17, Stealth +16, Streetwise +17, Thievery +16, Athletics +15

FEATS
    Wizard: Ritual Caster
    Feat User Choice: White Lotus Dueling Expertise
    Feat User Choice: Improved Defenses
    Feat User Choice: Melee Training (Intelligence)
    Level 1: Battle Intuition
    Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate orb)
    Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Unspeakable tome)
    Level 6: Arcane Familiar
    Level 8: Armor Proficiency: Leather
    Level 10: Initiate of the Faith
    Level 11: Second Implement
    Level 12: Improved Tome of Readiness
    Level 14: Enlarge Spell
    Level 16: Spell Focus
    Level 18: Superior Will
    Level 20: Improved Initiative (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)
    Level 21: Royal Command of Asmodeus
    Level 22: Arcane Mastery
    Level 24: Quickened Spellcasting
    Level 26: Dispater's Iron Discipline
    Level 28: Epic Will
    Level 30: Epic Fortitude

POWERS
    Arcanist Cantrips: Chameleon's Mask
    Arcanist Cantrips: Suggestion
    Arcanist Cantrips: Mage Hand
    Arcanist Cantrips: Spook
    Wizard at-will 1: Beguiling Strands
    Wizard at-will 1: Hypnotism
    Wizard encounter 1: Illusory Obstacles
    Wizard daily 1: Sleep
    Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Phantom Chasm
    Wizard utility 2: Shield
    Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Glib Tongue
    Wizard encounter 3: Maze of Mirrors
    Wizard daily 5: Visions of Avarice
    Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Tasha's Forcible Conscription
    Wizard utility 6: Emerald Eye
    Wizard utility 6 Spellbook: Insightful Warning
    Wizard encounter 7: Phantom Foes
    Wizard daily 9: Mirage Arcana
    Wizard daily 9 Spellbook: Symphony of the Dark Court
    Wizard utility 10: Repelling Shield
    Wizard utility 10 Spellbook: Illusory Wall
    Wizard encounter 13: Dark Gathering (replaces Illusory Obstacles)
    Wizard daily 15: Slumber of the Winter Court (replaces Sleep)
    Wizard daily 15 Spellbook: Summon Succubus
    Wizard utility 16: Time Jaunt
    Wizard utility 16 Spellbook: Insightful Riposte
    Wizard encounter 17: Mass Charm (replaces Maze of Mirrors)
    Wizard daily 19: Wrath of Battle (replaces Visions of Avarice)
    Wizard daily 19 Spellbook: Visions of Ruin
    Wizard utility 22: Wraithform
    Wizard utility 22 Spellbook: Time Stop
    Wizard encounter 23: Animate Shadows (retrained to Word of Bewilderment at Level 24) (replaces Phantom Foes)
    Wizard daily 25: Prismatic Spray (replaces Mirage Arcana)
    Wizard daily 25 Spellbook: Forced Submission
    Wizard encounter 27: Steal Time (replaces Dark Gathering)
    Wizard daily 29: Visions of Wrath (replaces Slumber of the Winter Court)
    Wizard daily 29 Spellbook: Word of the Gods

ITEMS
    Spellbook, Accurate orb of Nimble Thoughts +6, Accurate orb of Mental Dominion +6, Deck of Spells Unspeakable tome +6, Shadowdance Leather Armor +6, Aversion Staff +1, Phrenic Crown (epic tier), Cloak of Distortion +6, Crest of Vigilance Eternal (paragon tier), Resplendent Gloves (epic tier), Opal Ring of Remembrance (epic tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Belt of the Witch King (paragon tier), Zephyr Boots (epic tier), Symbol of Victory +6, Solitaire (Violet) (epic tier), Dice of Auspicious Fortune (paragon tier), Curse Eye Tattoo (heroic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (epic tier)
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

The main ideas behind the build (that I mostly grabbed from the handbooks) were:
    • Create a good save penalty with Orb of Imposition.
    • Use Tome of Readiness to effectively get Illusory Wall as an encounter.
    • Have good accuracy with Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes, Guidance of the Past, Terrifying Insight, and Heroic Effort.
    • Use Time Jaunt and Symbol of Victory for extra APs.
    • Grab dominates (and stuns, which get turned to dominates by Royal Command of Asmodeus) from picking Invoker from Soul of the World.
    • Be a pretty good skill monkey by grabbing all the Arcana substitution cantrips.

To be honest, I'm also not entirely sure about my class decision with Soul of the World; I know it's a powerful epic destiny, but it's a little hard to choose between all the possibilities. Some other ideas I had were
    • Grab Druid and pick up the "+1 to a stat for the entire day" utilities and maybe some of the summons.
    • Grab Warlord and pick up Avenging Spirit for more APs, Reorient the Axis, and maybe other utilities.

Any thoughts on improving this? Also, if I summon Illusory Wall via Tome of Readiness, do I need to continue using the tome for the consequent Intelligence vs. Will attacks?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for feedback for a Wizard build

In general, I'd expect a DM to rule that you can't summon up a daily utility power with an encounter utility power. Also, some of your utility options are not actually spells, which even if OCB allows, is a no-no.

What level do you plan to start play at? Anyway, changes:
    Flame of Hope is a much more powerful paragon path than Divine Oracle. You don't miss on round 1. Can't overemphasize just how powerhouse this is compared by itself to Divine Oracle. Then on top of it, neither do your friends. And it works at 11th, not 16th and with everything, not just Will. Crazy. That then solves your Invoker vs Warlord problem.

I wouldn't get two Superior Implements before getting Enlarge Spell. I'd also start out with a 20 Int/14 Wis/12 Con/12 Cha. +1 to hit/AC/Reflex vs -2 to saves shouldn't be a hard choice. You have an Arcane Familiar - swap in a Dagger of Shielding for a +1 to AC - that's your Leather Armor feat...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    In general, I'd expect a DM to rule that you can't summon up a daily utility power with an encounter utility power. Also, some of your utility options are not actually spells, which even if OCB allows, is a no-no.
    Hmm, well, if the Tome of Readiness thing is considered too cheesy, then that'd free up three more feats.

I'm also actually not sure how taking options from other classes works with the spellbook. If I grab a daily or a utility from somewhere else, do I just not get the spellbook for that level?

I don't have access to the CB right now, so I guess I'll post or edit in a version containing all the changes you suggested tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, Tome of Readiness is still a great option. It's just generally accepted that it doesn't let you use a daily power (like iW) more than once per day. But you can still take two encounter powers of your highest level, and leave the DM guessing which one you'll cast.

Your spell selection could use some improvement. Illusory Obstacles isn't nearly as good as either Icy Terrain or Orbmaster's Incendiary. Instead of maze of mirrors, use Color Spray! Instead of Animate Shadows, find another stun in the form of Thunderclap.

Assuming you're playing from a lower level than 30, take Enlarge Spell as early as possible, i.e. at level one (it is the best wizard feat by a long shot). You can't use two superior implements at the same time, so drop one of the sup.imp feats.

Otherwise the build looks solid.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!