New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Price of Peace (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Syless View Post
    Kalanna moves the gold into her own pouch before dragging the corpses out into the clearing and settling back into her trance. With any luck, anyone else that would be foolish enough to think of attacking her would see them and decide otherwise.
    The rest of your trance is peaceful and unimpeded. When you wake, it is still dark, the moon high in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    He was too tired for witty banter. He took two careful steps back, jabbing out both hands, index fingers forward. Ixen Bamos.. Twin rays of crackling lightning shot out, zapping at the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Electrifying Ray. Both are Touch AC
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    The wight collapses to the ground, twitching as electricity coursed over its body, before growing still.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrann View Post
    Volk's head spun. Perhaps it was the alcohol, he was feeling a bit dehydrated. But more likely it was all this new information. Or perhaps it was even both.

"Wait." He puts up a hand in an almost defensive gesture. "The Shapeshifter was in a group that had goals to stop the war? In our years together they have done nothing but teach me of war, preparing me for the fight yet to come."

He holds his temples, looking down at the ground in with a look of utter shock. "And the Shapechanger hails from elven lands? They can't be an elf! I don't believe it! They don't stink like one.."

With a sigh he calms himself.

"You speak of the mixing of races. The erasing of borders.

Even here, in this remote town, you cannot smell the spirits on the winds outside. When the winds blow, they blow angrily around curves and corners of dead stacked rocks.
    You have beaten the earth into submission so that it doesn't dare to grow even grass unless you tell it to.
    And when the rain blesses you, you complain, for the mangled earth refuses to drink.

When we lost the war, we lost our way.

We were noble once. But if being so lost is what blending means, then blending is not noble. It is madness.
    "

He shakes his head.

"I know little of Ryuuto. He is a wizard, with an academy, is he not?
    I don't know much of scrying either. But what you describe sounds worrying. The Shapechanger once told me there would come a time where I would need to follow a path obscured, guided on faith alone. I owe it to them to make good on that promise. But right now I do not know where to take the first step. Did they tell you anything that could help?
    "
    "Hails. They are not elven, nor orcish, nor likely any other race that you know.

One can fight a war for future peace. Things under Ricrattes were not much better than what you see now. Indeed the land was worse than what you see. Life in the Eastern Desert was like that, from what my father taught me. Our people were of mixed opinion when the war was fought to a draw. Some saw it as the time to strike, to finish the softer races - others saw the offered lands here as an acceptable compromise. You long for a past that you never knew.

Ryuuto watches the world outside of his private lands. While I question his courage, and why he remains cloistered in his little school when he could be shaping nations, that's the path that he has taken.

We are collecting several of our contacts into a group in Ardon, the halfling town to the south. That might be what Shapechanger was referring to."
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2017-01-27 at 01:29 AM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

The encounter was brief, but Uthazair's day was long. He searched the remains, if only to see if there was anything of note, before crawling back into his magical knapsack. He hoped not every night went like this.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Stretching and offering more prayers to Baelkasel, Kalanna readies herself for yet another long day of travel. Hopefully, she can push herself to hurry her journey. Every moment she spends resting is one more that Amamus is missing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Renewing buffs, taking off for a forced march, let me know if I should make a pile of constitution rolls (with a +4 from Draconic Flight)

4. - Top - End - #94

BlueKnightGuy

Lillian sits back down, and meets the woman's gaze with a smile.

"Hello, I don't think we've met before. I'm Lillian Baumbrite; yes, I volunteered for the expedition to Ikaite. The gnomes work there was, well, unorthodox. Their process is the hardest thing to untangle. With all their committees and subcommittees, and with so many engineers assembling so many pieces without consulting each other, they seemed to spend as much time retrofitting the parts together as actually constructing."

"But their idea seems sound. I included in my report some notes..."

"I'm sorry," the young priest stops herself, bringing a hand to her forehead. "Where are my manners? I didn't catch your name? What do you do here at the Library?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    The encounter was brief, but Uthazair's day was long. He searched the remains, if only to see if there was anything of note, before crawling back into his magical knapsack. He hoped not every night went like this.
    Thankfully, it is not. The rest of your travels are largely unimpeded between flying and walking to the town described.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Putting you on hold.

Stretching and offering more prayers to Baelkasel, Kalanna readies herself for yet another long day of travel. Hopefully, she can push herself to hurry her journey. Every moment she spends resting is one more that Amamus is missing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Renewing buffs, taking off for a forced march, let me know if I should make a pile of constitution rolls (with a +4 from Draconic Flight)
    A couple days of flight with the occasional trance leave you very tired, but otherwise arriving in Ardon far faster than anyone else would arrive.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have four days in town that the others don't, having arrived early. Do you wish to do anything in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by jscape2000 View Post
    Lillian sits back down, and meets the woman's gaze with a smile.

"Hello, I don't think we've met before. I'm Lillian Baumbrite; yes, I volunteered for the expedition to Ikaite. The gnomes work there was, well, unorthodox. Their process is the hardest thing to untangle. With all their committees and subcommittees, and with so many engineers assembling so many pieces without consulting each other, they seemed to spend as much time retrofitting the parts together as actually constructing."

"But their idea seems sound. I included in my report some notes..."

"I'm sorry," the young priest stops herself, bringing a hand to her forehead. "Where are my manners? I didn't catch your name? What do you do here at the Library?"
    "I am Brexa," the woman says with a gentle smile. "I heard that you were asking about someone, yes? An elderly man who didn't show up in our records?"

Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

A hearty, boisterous laugh. The Orc replies in a friendly tone. "It doesn't matter what we were in our time of crisis, Gert. What matter is what our people could be. I've seen you wield that hammer. You are not a halfling with tusks.

Who was your father? Did he fight in the war?

It would seem my journey leads me to Ardon, then. Is there anything more I should know before going there? Who am I meeting, exactly. And why?
    "

7. - Top - End - #97

BlueKnightGuy

"Yes, Brexa, I was. Not just an old man; a dear friend who was a second father to me. Hadium. He was about my height, bald with just a little hair above his ears. He was one of the groundskeepers here. Do you know him?"

Lillian falters a little. "I stopped by his house on my way in, but he wasn't there... his things were gone."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Anya pauses as she realizes that she had completely given up any kind of bargaining power then sighs frustratedly and tosses the mean a leather pouch with 100 GP in it as she says, "Fine. Let's go. I'm in a hurry."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

A hearty, boisterous laugh. The Orc replies in a friendly tone. "It doesn't matter what we were in our time of crisis, Gert. What matter is what our people could be. I've seen you wield that hammer. You are not a halfling with tusks.

Who was your father? Did he fight in the war?

It would seem my journey leads me to Ardon, then. Is there anything more I should know before going there? Who am I meeting, exactly. And why?
    "
    "I should hope not. I was trained in Marble and was top of my class for blade magic, at the request of my father. He was the general that admitted defeat forty years ago," she says, watching your response to that. "Should you be willing, she is a human of distant draconic ancestry. She's one of our contacts within Marble. You understand that we need to keep names hidden, I hope. As I suggested earlier, we are a group opposed to the Order of Daygaz." Gert looks around as she says that, eyes glancing to her hammer that sat against one of the crates. After about ten seconds, she continues. "Many of us suspect that they have ulterior motives to simply uniting the nations."

"Yes, Brexa, I was. Not just an old man; a dear friend who was a second father to me. Hadium. He was about my height, bald with just a little hair above his ears. He was one of the groundskeepers here. Do you know him?"

Lillian falters a little. "I stopped by his house on my way in, but he wasn't there... his things were gone."
    "Nobody knows of him, because he doesn't exist," the woman says. Just as I don't officially exist.
    (Make me a Will save, and roll initiative)

Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Anya pauses as she realizes that she had completely given up any kind of bargaining power then sighs frustratedly and tosses the mean a leather pouch with 100 GP in it as she says, "Fine. Let's go. I'm in a hurry."
    "Excellent!" the man says, quickly pocketing the money. After another hour of looking around, he does find a guard for hire, who he pays using the money you paid him for your travel, a young man around your age named Secc.

Your first three days of travel are largely uneventful, talking with Secc occasionally as he walks alongside the wagon. On your fourth day, the surrounding land becomes more green, grass almost as tall as you in some areas. "Easiest hundred gold I ever made. Haven't even run into anything."
    (Make me a spot and listen check)
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2017-01-28 at 01:27 AM.

Show

10. - Top - End - #100

BlueKnightGuy

Feeling the tingles of magic on the corner of her mind, Lillian leaps up from the table.

Spoiler: Will & Initiative
    Show

Will (1d20+9)[27]
    Initiative (1d20+1)[5]

11. - Top - End - #101

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Prepared action
    Show
    Assuming Lillian gets her next action, she's going to cast Sound Burst, hoping to stun the woman (DC15 Fort) and inflicting 1d8 sonic damage.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Feeling the tingles of magic on the corner of her mind, Lillian leaps up from the table.

Spoiler: Will & Initiative
    Show

Will [roll0]
    Initiative [roll1]
    Ooh, you shrugged it off. Good, I was worried this would be boring, says the voice in your head. The woman smiles, snapping her fingers at one of the torches lighting the room. The flame on it leaps forward like an angry snake, while she hops up on the table, blocking one means of escape while pulling out a dagger. The snaking flame floats over the desk, snapping at your face.

(Please make a reflex save to move out of the way, or take 3 fire damage. Staying in the same area will result in being burned next turn.)

(I assume you casted defensively, otherwise she will make an attack of opportunity. I rolled, and got a 2. The spell fizzles.)

The flame simply follows you around.
    (Please make another reflex save. If you fail, take 2 damage. In the future, please don't post pre-emptive actions. They get messy to follow.)
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2017-01-28 at 09:32 AM.

Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Anya grows increasingly frustrated at the delay in departure and over the course of the four days. When the driver makes his snarky comment, she mutters, "We'll see about that," then pauses to listen unhappily to the world.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+6)[18]
    Listen: (1d20+6)[25]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Anya grows increasingly frustrated at the delay in departure and over the course of the four days. When the driver makes his snarky comment, she mutters, "We'll see about that," then pauses to listen unhappily to the world.

Show
    Spot: [roll0]
    Listen: [roll1]
    (Should have been more clear: the guard made the comment, not the driver)
    While nothing looks particularly interesting from your perch atop the wagon, you hear, quietly, a very distinct sound from a good distance away. None of the others seem to have noticed anything out of the ordinary.
    (You have time for one partial action)
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2017-01-28 at 10:05 AM.

Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Anya tilts her head as she hears the growl, and smirks to herself. She places her hands on the hilts of her weapons, but says nothing, simply readying herself for action, if it's necessary. She's not the guard, after all.

Show
    Ready an action to draw weapons when the Lion shows itself.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

When Gert mentions her father, Volk gives a stern look and a nod, but says nothing for a long few seconds.

Spoiler: Sense motive
    Show

He's being respectful because Gert is a fellow student of the Shapeshifter's.

Spoiler
    Show

He thinks there is dishonour in the surrender.

Spoiler
    Show

But he thinks she's courageous for admitting this is her father so openly, and thinks the general must have been a great man to have been a general in the first place.

Spoiler
    Show

He thinks the way she lifted the hammer earlier was kind of sexy. And he hopes she hasn't noticed.

"I see. But being willing is not a relevant factor Gert. I have sworn an Oath. So I will go see this human. Keeping her name secret is wise. But how will I know it is her?"

When Gert starts looking around, Volk puts a hand on his flail and scans the room as well. "Trouble? Or just something about that hammer?"

He cracks his neck and drinks another slug of alcohol. "How far away is this Halfling town on foot?"
    Last edited by Tyrann; 2017-01-28 at 12:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Arriving at the outskirts, Kalanna is faced with a decision. She needs to be in the town... but there might not be any indications of where to go until the solstice. And if that's the case, then she'd be the most noticeable thing possible- a scaled elf, potentially with radiant wings on her back.

Moreover, she was... uncomfortable at the sight of the city. She'd never left the Forest in her life. She knew how the cities of the other races work, but seeing it was unnerving. Still and stone. Baelkasel's lands had more stone than other elven settlements, but not to this extent- theirs was limited to practice for those who could breathe and manipulate fire, not for simple housing. No nature below and around, no sky above... how did the halflings and humans manage to get any rest at all?

So an alternate approach was called for. Rather than entering the town just yet, she circled it, on foot and wingless- looking for an orchard, hoping to be able to rent a comfortable place to rest, as well as someone she could ask about the goings-on in town. For a reasonable fee, naturally.
    Last edited by Syless; 2017-01-28 at 04:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    No, if I wanted to cast defensively I would have said so. With the dc difference I'd chance the aoo at this level. If I'd been hit, needs 6+ damage to be a more difficult dc. Moving on.

Reflex (1d20+3)[18]

Lillian dodges the fire snake as quickly as she can while drawing her morning star.

Spoiler: attack
    Show
    I'm pretty unclear on layout here. Can I make it to an exit? I'd rather run for it than fight on her terms. If I can't run I'd rather attack the woman than the snake.

attack (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage (1d8)[5]
    Last edited by jscape2000; 2017-01-28 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Fixing mobile formatting issues

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Anya tilts her head as she hears the growl, and smirks to herself. She places her hands on the hilts of her weapons, but says nothing, simply readying herself for action, if it's necessary. She's not the guard, after all.

Show
    Ready an action to draw weapons when the Lion shows itself.
    As you smirk, the lion charges through the grass, leaping through the air and slamming into the poor guard with the force of a battering ram. As the animal rips into him, he's barely able to let out a scream as he is torn open.

When Gert mentions her father, Volk gives a stern look and a nod, but says nothing for a long few seconds.

Spoiler: Sense motive
    Show

He's being respectful because Gert is a fellow student of the Shapeshifter's.

Spoiler
    Show

He thinks there is dishonour in the surrender.

Spoiler
    Show

But he thinks she's courageous for admitting this is her father so openly, and thinks the general must have been a great man to have been a general in the first place.

Spoiler
    Show

He thinks the way she lifted the hammer earlier was kind of sexy. And he hopes she hasn't noticed.

"I see. But being willing is not a relevant factor Gert. I have sworn an Oath. So I will go see this human. Keeping her name secret is wise. But how will I know it is her?"

When Gert starts looking around, Volk puts a hand on his flail and scans the room as well. "Trouble? Or just something about that hammer?"

He cracks his neck and drinks another slug of alcohol. "How far away is this Halfling town on foot?"
    "It is difficult to know when we are being watched. The Order doesn't seem to take in many higher up officials. It is almost entirely normal civilians, people you would never expect.

She is a mage of Marble. She should be easily identified by her robes, and as I said earlier, her ancestry. They were to meet at an inn, the Setting Sun, on the week of the solstice. The innkeeper is trusted and a recruit to our cause. It should be about two days' walk from here, the meeting between five and twelve days away."

Arriving at the outskirts, Kalanna is faced with a decision. She needs to be in the town... but there might not be any indications of where to go until the eclipse. And if that's the case, then she'd be the most noticeable thing possible- a scaled elf, potentially with radiant wings on her back.

Moreover, she was... uncomfortable at the sight of the city. She'd never left the Forest in her life. She knew how the cities of the other races work, but seeing it was unnerving. Still and stone. Baelkasel's lands had more stone than other elven settlements, but not to this extent- theirs was limited to practice for those who could breathe and manipulate fire, not for simple housing. No nature below and around, no sky above... how did the halflings and humans manage to get any rest at all?

So an alternate approach was called for. Rather than entering the town just yet, she circled it, on foot and wingless- looking for an orchard, hoping to be able to rent a comfortable place to rest, as well as someone she could ask about the goings-on in town. For a reasonable fee, naturally.
    Spoiler: Minor Note
    Show
    Solstice, not eclipse. Also, you were given a location.

While the stone walls are offputting, you do get glances into the town itself, where most construction is a mix of wooden supports and brick wall. A couple of farms dot the outskirts of town as well, though as you ask, none seem to have lodging for travelers. Most people point you to the town proper for that.

Spoiler
    Show
    no if I wanted to cast defensively I would have said so. With the D.C. Difference I'd chance the aoo. If hit needs 6+ damage to be a more difficult D.C. Whatever moving on.

Reflex [roll0]

Lillian dodges the fire snake as quickly as she can while drawing her morning star.

Spoiler: attack
    Show
    attack [roll1]
    Damage [roll2]

I'm pretty unclear on layout here. Can I make it to an exit? I'd rather run for it than fight on her terms. If I can't run I'd rather attack the woman than the snake.
    (Alright, rolled. The AoO missed, so the second bit of flame didn't happen, since she was stunned)
    Brexa doesn't even have to move as the swing seems a little off, not quite hitting her. "Come now, I can't perform my best tricks if you can't even hurt me," she teases. As she says so, you feel a weight pressing in your mind.
    (Please make me a Will save. You may make an AoO as she moves toward the door.)
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2017-01-28 at 04:23 PM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Anya winces as the man is torn apart. As much as she's used to blood, there's still nothing quite like a man being torn apart to turn one's stomach. She swears as her survival instincts kick in and shouts, "Go! Go go go! There's a lion out here!" Her weapons are in her hand, but she stays on the cart, preparing herself to intercept an attack.

Show
    Ready an action to attack the Lion once its in range.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2017-01-28 at 04:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

The subtle approach had failed. Lacking other options, Kalanna went for the opposite approach- leaving the last farm, she took to the air and landed in the middle of the town, looking for the Setting Sun Inn. If she's lucky, blunt force will solve all her problems, once more.

22. - Top - End - #112

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Will Save (1d20+9)[15]
    AOO (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage (1d8)[8]

"Your best tricks? Oh, I've seen more than enough of the best you have to offer."

Lillian draws a small rod from her belt, then begins to cast a spell.

Spoiler: Summon Monster III
    Show

Air Elemental (Small). Extended by the rod. Augmented Summoning +4 to Str and Con. To appear beside the psion.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

The subtle approach had failed. Lacking other options, Kalanna went for the opposite approach- leaving the last farm, she took to the air and landed in the middle of the town, looking for the Setting Sun Inn. If she's lucky, blunt force will solve all her problems, once more.
    It doesn't take long to find the inn, a surprisingly large building, second only in size to that of the church in the center of town. A small, tanned halfling woman greets you inside. "Well! It's not every day I see an elf come by. What brings someone from so far East?"

Anya winces as the man is torn apart. As much as she's used to blood, there's still nothing quite like a man being torn apart to turn one's stomach. She swears as her survival instincts kick in and shouts, "Go! Go go go! There's a lion out here!" Her weapons are in her hand, but she stays on the cart, preparing herself to intercept an attack.

Show
    Ready an action to attack the Lion once its in range.
    The great cat notices the movement of the cart as it finds the man's armor less than satisfactory a meal, and begins to try and swipe at the less thickly protected human on the cart (that's you!). Thankfully, you're able to discourage the attack with a swipe of your own as it swings a paw but misses. The horse drawing the wagon tries to move a little bit faster, but also has to contend with the 400 pound carnivore grabbing at the sides.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Will Save [roll0]
    AOO [roll1]
    Damage [roll2]

"Your best tricks? Oh, I've seen more than enough of the best you have to offer."

Lillian draws a small rod from her belt, then begins to cast a spell.

Spoiler: Summon Monster III
    Show

Air Elemental (Small). Extended by the rod. Augmented Summoning +4 to Str and Con. To appear beside the psion.
    (Failed save, take 18 damage)
    Are you sure? I'd like to think you don't have a clue. The woman runs back to you, swiping with the dagger, but too wildly to ever hit someone.

Show

24. - Top - End - #114

BlueKnightGuy

Dodging her opponent's wild swing, Lillian finishes casting her spell, and brings an air elemental into being between herself and the woman. Maneuvering to keep the elemental between them, Lillian launches into her next spell.

Spoiler
    Show

5 foot step to create space.
    Call Lightning.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

"Well, I think I'd best get going then." Volk drags himself up. "Thank you for everything, Gert. If I can ask you for one last favour before I leave: do you know where I could restock on water?"

26. - Top - End - #116

Kalanna offers a polite smile to the innkeeper. "A friend of mine is supposed to meet me here before we travel on together, though he might not arrive for a few more days- I assume you haven't seen him, he would stand out the same way I do." She gestures to her scales. "Until he does, I would be happy to rent a room here- how much would a week's stay cost?" Kalanna pulls out her coinpurse, the telltale sound of coins clinking together within it.

27. - Top - End - #117

BlueKnightGuy

The small air elemental swings a buffeting arm against the only obvious foe in the room.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

Attack (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage (1d4)[1]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Kalanna offers a polite smile to the innkeeper. "A friend of mine is supposed to meet me here before we travel on together, though he might not arrive for a few more days- I assume you haven't seen him, he would stand out the same way I do." She gestures to her scales. "Until he does, I would be happy to rent a room here- how much would a week's stay cost?" Kalanna pulls out her coinpurse, the telltale sound of coins clinking together within it.
    "One week? Ten gold," the halfling says. "Your friend should be here in three days," she continues, handing you the key to a room before disappearing into a back room.

"Well, I think I'd best get going then." Volk drags himself up. "Thank you for everything, Gert. If I can ask you for one last favour before I leave: do you know where I could restock on water?"
    She chuckles. "The church. I believe you also were interested in some armor, or a weapon?"

Dodging her opponent's wild swing, Lillian finishes casting her spell, and brings an air elemental into being between herself and the woman. Maneuvering to keep the elemental between them, Lillian launches into her next spell.

Spoiler
    Show

5 foot step to create space.
    Call Lightning.
    The small air elemental swings a buffeting arm against the only obvious foe in the room.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

Attack [roll0]
    Damage [roll1]

The woman tries and fails to avoid the lightning, but her stumbling does manage to keep the air elemental from hitting her, though as she moves around the table to remain able to cut off your escape again the elemental does get a hit in, before letting out a shriek of pain and evaporating as she gives it a glare. Oh, I thought it would be tougher. Now, where were we?

Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

"I would be certainly be interested in trade, but it will have to be at a later time. Travelling on such short notice has left me light on coin." Volk beats a fist over his heart. A sign of a warrior's respect. "Aka'Magosh. Until we meet again."

He then puts the guisarme over his shoulder and starts making his way back to the temple to ask the Kordites for water, so he can properly start his journey South.

30. - Top - End - #120

Kalanna accepts the key and hands over the coins. "Thank y-" She pauses. The woman knew when Amamus would arrive. How? She follows the woman, knocking loudly on the door she went through. She may have just walked into a trap.