New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A City of Sinister Delights IC

Bella seats herself at the table as Vim busies herself

"Mmm, Sorry V, trouble at the market and then Tris had a favour to ask otherwise I would have been right back." she explains tiredly "Don't worry, I'll still be at the coffee tonight. And I could walk you to this artists if you don;t mind some company, introduce us maybe."

She idles for a few minutes until Donna catches her eye and chuffs impatiently

Bella sighs lightly and rolls her eyes, rising from the table to go and fetch parchment and charcoal before reseating and pondering the page

"Actually I had a favour to ask, Tris wants me to run an... errand and I need to hire some people, so I was thinking I'd put up a notice and since we both know you have a way with words..." Bella lets the point hang in the air
    Last edited by Smeggedoff; 2017-01-29 at 07:42 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Aren, Raikou & Travis

Travis says "Iuz ... I have heard of it. Sorry that your homeland is under bad rule Aren, but I fear it is a preview of what may be in store for us here.

I'm a fairly recent arrival in the Mercy myself, and I mostly concentrated on the teaching here and my magical studies. I've also had to deal with a few local hoodlums who call themselves Roosters. Not a big deal but if having you two around helps run those bad boys off, so much the better.

Anyway, I don't think there's currently a ruling council here. I've heard rumors of some kind of organized crime operating here, but if there is such a group I highly doubt that they are behind the disappearances, which started fairly recently. I've even heard a drunken hobo spin a tale about demons dragging victims into the sewers. In light of recent events, perhaps it's not so crazy. The sewers might be another place to investigate, after all.

If you really want to meet some locals and maybe get a more streetwise take, and brunch at the same time, then we might as well head to the Bitter Coffee."
    Last edited by kinem; 2017-01-29 at 07:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ketra's feathers ruffle almost imperceptibly. Seti certainly had a quick wit to him, that rather... verbose story, clearly meant to try and put her at ease and bring her in. He had something important to ask, to be sure, and letting her ask first was a bargaining tactic, so his request would seem like payment or a favor in turn- but she didn't care. She would cross that bridge when the time came. "Well then, if we're family, then perhaps you can help me find one of my own. One of my flock- his name's Soss, he's one of the few that's been regularly leaving our home, working as a messenger. He went missing yesterday, and I'm not about to lose him without trying to find him first."

She smiles back. "So, if we're family, we should try and keep it all together, right? If you don't even try to make it whole, then I suppose we'll become quite estranged quite quickly. Once we're all together, I'm sure we can help you in turn. So what do you say? Have you heard anything?"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

@Aren: Your training back home shall serve you well in this city as you rest your eyes for a few seconds as Travis speaks a little about himself and what may be happening in The Mercy and then you open them again...

Raikou, Travis and Cyrus... no traces of malice can be sensed in their hearts. They are clean. And a good thing, too:

Where they to harbor wickedness in their hearts, you'd have to apply the rest of your clerical training upon them.

@Travis: You have heard about The Empire of Iuz...

Back there, Lies and Oppression are the rule of the land. It is a blasphemous city founded upon blood and evil. What mighty churches would operate here, back there, they are reduced to splinter factions and cults.

And the way things are going with the new Regime, who knows if a new Empire may yet to grow from this once proud city.

At any rate, staying in the school will not fetch you any answers. Raikou just literally fell out of the sky and who knows how long aren has been in The Mercy. You are rather new to it as well and most information you could relay to these two is just plain hearsay.

And so, you lead the group towards the Bitter Coffee, well aware that those Rooster rascals may be waiting to get the jump on you...

But with these guys to back you up, chances are they won't even attempt to move in. Not with a Stormcaster like Raikou by your side.

@Raikou, Travis & Aren: The old pub is partially full as you walk in, and quickly enough, several patrons turn their gaze to the halfling and his familiar.

Having rats and cats walk next to a caster is one thing- sometimes the caster won't even dress up the part.

But a sentient whirlwind? That's something odd even in a place like this.

Nana Rose, the Coffee's owner, waves at all of you and gestures to a table.

"Be there in a minute! Try not to blow up the place, ok?""

Cyrus hovers besides Raikou as all of you take a chair at a dirty table and check beneath it for bugs.

It doesn't disappoint, as a few roaches scuttle over your boots and into the many holes in the wall...

But more importantly- that Raptoran, Ketra. She's here at another table and having a conversation with a stringy haired man, who raises his eyebrow for the briefest second at all of you and keeps engaged in hushed tones with the raptoran.

@Isobel: Vim comes back from the kitchen and Donna nearly knocks her off as she juggles the plates above her head.

"No, Donna, NO! This isn't for you! Down, boy! Down!""

Your St. Bernard does as told and both sit down to have a late brunch as Vim listens to your idea and gulps down her glass of milk.

"Oh no! Nah, don't worry. I'm a big girl and it isn't the first time that I go see this artist. I'll be safe. She says this is the last session. Hopefully. after that, it's my big break in the city! Of course, you are invited to come along. I'll send tickets for you and your family.

I will, of course, be at the Bitter Coffee this evening- Nana Rose says that I can make extra money if I play a few more hours past midnight. Just need to work on my routine. Been recycling the same songs over and over and over and...""

That's when you mention your brother and Vim Vom smiles lasciviously.

"Your Runestone brother? And you didn't even tell him to stop by? I am wounded, you know... so what is it he wants? An errand? Ohhh ! I like this, Belle. Getting all Nancy Drew here!""

Vim finishes half her brunch and puts the plate on the floor for Donna to finish up the rest.

"Ok, let me see what I can come up with. Been awhile since I wrote prose. But you want it more like an ad, don't you? Like those at that school? yeah... Give me a few hours.""

And so, you lay on the couch and pet Donna for a few hours as the sun begins to set over the ruined buildings and you can hear Vim Vom scribbling like a mad man in her room as she comes out holding a pair of large pieces of parchment, with her hands stained in ink.

"Ok, belle: I have carpal tunnel after this, but you might as well go big or go home.

here's the first one:

Spoiler: 1st Draft
    Show

TREASURE AND RICHES AHOY!

Tired of Mercy living? Haggling for a few silvers day by day. Just waiting to 'get by'?

Well, struggle no more! Riches await. Riches that Connor himself would kill to get his hands on!

If you want to live it large. A life of luxury, then wait no longer and contact:

Isobel Thorne

At:

"Too piratey? And a little ominous too, now that I look at it well.. I was running low on ideas. I left the address open for you to fill it up. Ideally, not to meet here.

At any rate, here's the second one:

Spoiler: 2nd Draft
    Show

ADVENTURE AWAITS

Tired of killing rats for a living?

Wishing to leave your mark in the history books... stained in BLOOD?!

Then come on over! The Syndicate of Swords welcomes thee!

Inquire to Sword Mistress:

Isobel Thorne

At:

Vim cracks her knuckles and sighs in relief after hours of carefully drawing the figures and getting her calligraphy right.

"Go big or go home, right? I'll let you choose which one you want to use and... oh no! I'm late! She;'s gonna freak out!""

Vim Vom rushes to her room and you can hear her packing a bag as she quickly does her hair in front of the only mirror in the apartment and rushes out.

"I'll be at the Bitter Coffee around midnight. Maybe earlier. We can have drinks after my show there. On me. See you later, Belle... and you too, Donna!""

And just like that, the door slams behind your bubbly roommate and her light steps echo through the metal grated steps going down towards the city and her benefactor.

Now what to do with these ads?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Seti listens to Ketra as she speaks, picking up what's left of the sandwich and finishing it off just as she finishes. He licks his fingertips free of crumbs then leans back in over the table, "Of course Ketra. Soss you say his name is? A name is something, the fact he is a Raptoran, and there are not many here is also a help, but is anything else you can give me, you said he was a messenger, you know his routine, he have any friend's here... maybe a lady friend?"

Keeping an eye trained on the door he sees the Halfling, the other Raptoran and that Travis guy enter as he is speaking, "Maybe she knows something? Doesn't seem like one of yours, she seems different somehow..." he says nodding his head and pointing over Ketra's shoulder to the group as they take a seat.

6. - Top - End - #66

Ketra shakes her head, leaning back as her wings permit when he moves forward. Distance seems like a good idea. "No, he's definitely not seeing anyone, he wouldn't let us hear the end of it if he was. Very few of us leave the Aerie- he's younger, has a black tuft of feathers dead center on his head. As far as I know he didn't know anyone outside of the people who hired him as a messenger- he was very fast, as long as the message was written and sealed. He wasn't exactly good for keeping secrets otherwise."

She looks over her shoulder, seeing Aren and the others walk in, and sighs. "No, she has nothing to do with us- I have no idea who she is." Ketra bites her tongue at her next thought. And she acts odd enough as it is.

Remembering, she reaches into her bag and pulls out the letter from Eoil. "Here. The luck in finding you made me forget about this." She slides the letter across the table carefully, watching his response. She didn't quite know what was in it.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

@Ketra: You have dealt with crooks before.

Although they wore a badge of office. At least it was easy to distinguish them back in the city. But here, well... anyone can be anybody. This place is, as far as you are concerned, a no man's land...

So why is Seti giving you this hammy talk about 'family'? You have a family. They are safe at the top of one of the tallest buildings in The Mercy. Nobody's getting to them, that's a given...

Unless this guy can fly... but there are no wings on him.

That's when the mage, the halfling and that raptoran walk in.

You know mages can fly if so desired, but they can't do it all day. Not to your knowledge.

That elemental, though... those guys are fast. You reckon he alone could ascend to the top of the building your Aerie is in under a minute if he really put his mind into it.

But then he'd have to deal with Sfaer.

And then there's that uptight raptoran, Aren. Not one of yours... maybe Seti's? No, no point plotting now how to deal with them. They haven't shown to be a threat.

This place just gets the worst out of people.

And then your attention turns back on Seti and you hand him the letter Eoil wrote for you earlier today.

@Seti: That name... Soss.

You may have heard someone in The Society employing a 'feather brain' not too long ago to run errands in The Mercy. Odd jobs that no one in the higher ranks of your conclave would bother to.

And all for meager pay- a few coppers at best.

But you never had a chance to meet this gofer. And Ketra seems quite interested in getting him back.

You open the letter and read it to yourself as Kyle starts lighting the candles and lanterns in the Bitter Coffee and the pub flocks with beggars and working class men alike- in fact, with Halmathan being so damn expensive now, many who serve houses in the City- be it maids, gardeners or even city guard- have homes in the Mercy and they are always more than happy to unwind at the Bitter Coffee after a long day's work.

What did Eoil have to tell you?

Spoiler: Letter to Seti
    Show
    Seti,

The person who gave you this letter should not be aware of its contents. I trust in good faith that as a skilled member of The Society, you will honey the news contained here and keep the letter to yourself.

I have reasons to believe that this Soss fellow may have run into Asgrim. If that is the case, I am afraid there is little anyone can do.

However, if he is still alive, the Raptoran Community will be more than happy to see one their own returned safely. For this information, I ask a five point cut.

Some in The Society are well acquainted with who this character is. They should have an idea of where to find him.

How you go about this, I leave it in your capable hands.

You read the letter and do your best poker face as you fold the letter.

Asgrim... where have you heard this name before?

Spoiler: The Checks
    Show
    Knowledge Local and/or Religion

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Seti carefully and deliberately folds the letter his hand disappears under the table, and returns without the Eoil's missve. "So you are sure Soss doesn't have any lady friends you're not aware of?" he pauses for a minute raising one eyebrow, "wait... do your people, I mean do they... 'mix' with other races or that's just not something..." he let's the thought trail off as he leans back again into the comforting embrace of the corner. Nothing like solid wood to your back in a room full of rouges.

"I don't want to get your hopes up Ketra. But I will tell you this, I think I may have an idea of where to start, regarding our little wayward brother Soss." he scratches his head, tucking some stray locks of hair behind his ear, "I am not going to promise you we will find him." He looks off over her shoulder at the table with the other Raptoran and the Hlafling from the sky, "but I will promise you two things." he turns his attention back to Ketra and looks straight into her eyes, while raising two fingers, "Firstly, I will always keep my word to you, and your people." he says moving his index finger, "and secondly, I won't lie to you."

He turns his attention to the bar where Kyle is, "for now I need to think, and Nana's got just the thing to help jog the 'oe memory, there is something, it's on the tip of my brain..." he raises his hand towards the bar and calls out, "Two Bitter-sweets! For the lady and me!" he faces Ketra once more,, rubbing his chin with one hand as he reflects on the name in the letter, "...it'll come back to me... in the mean time let's enjoy a bit of the local 'colour' and acquaint ourselves. So miss Ketra of the Royal Wyvern Apartments what is it that you do amongst your people?"
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2017-01-30 at 05:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

@Seti: You read the letter and casually fold it and then look at Ketra, doing your best to keep a smile, given the circumstances.

And not the best circumstances given, Not at all.

Back when Sarjon ruled The Mercy uncontested, it is said that many in The Society answered his call. His premise was simple:

You work for me now. You don't, and you are dead.

It is not known how many within The Society sided with Boss Sarjon. After his eventual demise, many have kept their mouths shut. And understandably so: The guy was a mean bastard. He went above and beyond what regular warlords did to the people of The Mercy.

That guy was utterly ruthless and possessed formidable strength, on top of being a sadist, torturing many in The Mercy- usually in public, so as to make his point clear that he was in charge.

It is no wonder that it took the combined efforts of a church leader and the Mercy Maiden to bring him down.

However, what made this tiefling so feared towards the end of his reign was that he had assembled a team, dubbed Sarjon's Scabs.

Many of these assassins were said to be in Death Row in St. Noria's. How the hell did they get out? Nobody knows. The stories about them and their appearance in The Mercy has not been documented and anyone trying to find out wound up dead.

The Scabs were defeated shortly before the big boss himself, but Sarjon is said to have made dealings with another group of undesirables.

The Maws of Hunger, one of the oldest guilds in The Mercy, answered his call. These assassins do not belong to The Society- in fact, many in the society actually fear them. And with good reason.

That reason being Asgrim Garak, aka The Thousand faced Killer, aka The Fangs of Camazotz.

Nobody knows who Asgrim really is. He cares not about money or taxing, no.

The Maws of Hunger, which he lords over, are cannibals. These depraved individuals are said to have a base of operations way deeper in The Mercy, where nobody would dare even squat, but that doesn't mean he and his crew have not shown up from time to time to act as Sarjon's enforcers.

In fact, it was said that Sedge Bonney, the Diplomat, was kidnapped by Asgrim when Borazon and Lady Keéra fought the Scabs right outside the Bitter Coffee.

It would be this final act that moved those two heroes and their team to take the fight towards sarjon and end him for good.

But with that guy dead, Asgrim is most likely plotting to make his return. No longer as an enforcer to the dead tiefling...

But as a warlord himself.

10. - Top - End - #70

Once more, Ketra shakes her head. "It's not a matter of species, it's a matter of him bragging immediately if he found someone. I'm sure you know the sort. And as... flighty as he can be, he knows better than to disappear without even a message, because he knows I'll hunt him down otherwise." She stares at the human as he trailed off. There were multiple ways to interpret that question, but she opted to let it drop.

She nods at his promises, but her face starts to ignite in anger. "That's all I can ask. That, and that if someone is responsible for his disappearance- if someone took him- you don't get between the two of us. Let me tear them apart." She regains her composure. "And I think that should sum up my role- I'm their protector. Anyone who wants to mess with them has to go through me first, and I don't play gentle. There aren't really mansions to wreck around here like there are back in the city, but they're still fixing up that last one." Ketra tries to be intimidating with that last sentence, but there's a waver in her voice. She's avoiding mentioning what she lost escaping from the scene.

She tilts her head in curiosity. "But enough about me. Who are you, Seti, the silver-tongued man who can shift in demeanor at the drop of a hat, who carries such influence in the Mercy, who makes such lofty promises? I don't expect the whole truth, I doubt you've told anyone that, but tell me whatever story you'd normally tell."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Seti smiles at her forwardness, even more so when she appears to get angry at the thought of her people coming to harm. She's loyal. So few are these days. There is a twinkle in his eye as he leans in. "Remind me never to get on your bad side," he says with a smile, "so I see you are already putting me to the test... aaand taking advantage I might add." He takes a quick glance around to make sure no one is too near or seems to have their attention turned to their way. "I did make you a promise didn't I."

He slides the empty plate in front of him bringing it to rest in the centre of the table between Ketra and himself. "Not much to tell, me story isn't too much different from more than half of the Mercy. I lost me family in the fire. Lost my home. It's not a building you know. Home, I mean. Hell you can be at home sleeping in an alley. Home, its family. People you love, who love you, who protect you, and you them. But I am sure I don't have to tell you that."

"So there I am an orphan in a city of orphans." he nods his head towards the bar, “Kyle there, he’s not much different in that department, except for the leaving and living life as one of the ‘King’s Finest’ , Nana there, she took care of a lot of us did what she could.” He picks the plate back up spinning it between his hands as he looks around the room.

“So there I was, a kid, a kid in world full of vicious petty children and poor excuses for men. I did what all of us did I learned to survive. I tried to make it on my own. I did pretty well too, for a while. But you know that’s the problem with this world. Maybe its not a problem but just a reality.”

He stops spinning the plate and slaps it on the table between them, “You can’t make it alone. We need each other.” He looks quickly away. “What I mean is us, you know the people of the Mercy, in general, anyway. So, Spooner – that’s my friend, actually like a father to me, he finds me, takes me under his wing and well there you have it.”

He looks again towards the bar. “Man Kyle likes to take his time… so I joined a group. Bad men, trying to do good things, badly. And here we are today. Good people in a very bad world with hard choices, that really aren’t so difficult once you gain perspective.” He smiles. “Not much for talking about myself, if there is anything specific you want to know just ask. I won’t lie. I might not answer, but I won’t lie.”

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

@Ketra: You try and maintain your composure with Seti. This guy has a silver tongue. Talk about family and home...

You already have those. And you make it clear you can, single handedly, obliterate any who stand between you and your family. The buildings in The Mercy are old and unstable. Feldspar's manor was robust and well kept and by your count, he's still paying for renovations.

Never mind any of the run down steel frames that ache and creak under the night breeze.

@Seti: All you need is to get a little more persuasion on this Raptoran and hopefully, you'll get her to cooperate. They certainly must have money...

But will they have enough money to bring back the dead? because if what Eoil says here is true. if his hunch is correct...

Then that raptoran must be a pile of bones and bloody feathers by now. Still, you need to keep a calm demeanor here. Not everything's set on stone.

If Ketra is as tough as she projects herself to be, maybe you could have her aid you in taking down that bastard before he starts getting hungry around this part of town.

And it is then that Kyle walks up and places a pair of shot glasses with an inky black and purple liquid inside as the strong scent of liqueur damages your nostrils.

"Two Bitters. Nana has opened your tab. So you have to pay her for these. Lady Ketra, a pleasure meeting you...""

Kyle walks towards the bar and takes off his barista apron, picking up his blade from behind the counter.

"Quttin' time for me. It is at night when the creeps and crazies like to claw out of the alleys. Have a good one, guys.""

And having said, Kyle lights a few lamps in the tavern and leaves for the Mercy streets, most likely to play his vigilante role.

The door has barely closed behind Kyle when a hand props it open and in slides Drakan, a smile in his face as he flips a gold coin in his hand and checks the patrons inside as he walks up to the counter and leans over to Nana Rose.

"It's a nice night, isn't it, Nana? The usual, please.""

The gnome proprietress takes the gold and is quick to mis four tall paper cups covered in a plastic lid and encased in a plastic holder.

"For tall ones to go. Have a good one. Send my love and regards.""

Drakan winks at Nana and carries the cups with both hands as he leans against the door and nearly falls as another patron walks in, giving him a chance to exit without dropping anything.

"Will do, Nana...""

And just like that, Drakan leaves, but this place is not getting emptier anytime soon.

13. - Top - End - #73

Ketra grins, having put the man visibly on the defensive for the first time. "A good lesson to learn. I don't like resorting to violence, but it's so often sadly the only solution, and if so, I do not hold back." She leans back herself this time. "It's that or run, and I have to wonder which of the two you'd do. From what I've gleaned, it could go either way."

His story, however, weakens her resolve. She couldn't even imagine that. She had to abandon her physical home and a small amount of her flock, but to lose them all at once- that would have crushed her. He survived. A fighter of an entirely different kind. It might have been a plot meant to soften her defenses, but whether or not it was, that's what happened. "...I definitely can't say I understand what you've been though, but it's devastating to hear. I've only lost one- hopefully not a second- and that's devastating enough."

She smiles and thanks Kyle, drinks the shot, and gags a bit at the strength. "But I notice you evaded my real question. Who are you now? What makes you important? Who do you work for- or who works for you?"
    Last edited by Syless; 2017-01-30 at 10:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

On the way to the Bitter Coffee, Travis pays attention to something he rarely has, signs of the sewers - drains, manholes, and the like. He tries to guess if it's plausible that monsters could be dragging people down there, and to find a usable entrance.

ooc: Spot (1d20+8)[27]

When Nana waves, he waves back. Taking a look around, he sees a raptoran, Ketra, at another table; she was there for the incident in the market. He considers going to talk to her, but thinks better of it as she is conversing with some low-life. When Nana gets around, he orders coffee and a cheese sandwich.

"If I were skilled at chatting people up for information, here is where I'd do it. All kinds come here" he tells Aren and Raikou. He looks around for any other familiar faces.
    Last edited by kinem; 2017-01-30 at 11:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

@Travis: Dusk begins to set over the imposing dead buildings, once home to Halmathan's finest and the old barrels are lit by the Mercyfolk, the only safe spots in the street.

It has become common knowledge that if you find a flaming drum barrel, chances are that you will be safe. This district, devoid of proper infrastructure and deemed abandoned for decades, does not enjoy the lamp posts found in the City, so the Mercyfolk have established a sort of Safe Trail for themselves and any who would wander these streets after dark.

Of course, that isn't to say that being close to the barrels guarantees safety. yes, many hobos congregate around it for warmth at night and to cook the occasional rat on a stick, but it is not unheard of for pickpockets to be found within their midsts and it would not be the first time when someone joined a hobo party to share a drink of cheap ale only to leave with far fewer coins in his pouch.

The alternative of course, is to find shelter in one of the many buildings or, if you;re feeling brave and bold, walk several blocks deeper into the Mercy, where the flaming barrels wane in number and the streets are taken over by shadows, especially in an overcast night such as this one.

You do keep an eye out for the manholes on the street.

Heavy, rusted and covered in some green goop, the slits produce a healthy gout of sewage steam that is an insult to to the senses, but the people here have grown used to it. Who knows how many diseases these poor folk have accumulated over the years from the waste running beneath the cracked streets.

A blazing barrel casts an eerie light on some street art on your way to the Bitter Coffee:

You have seen these drawings before, done by the kids in the Mercy using whatever paint they could get their hands on.

The hobos stay away from the street art and mumble to themselves as they belch and bite their chewy meal on a stick.

These drawings have been around since your arrival, but not many people talk about it. And those who have been asked, would rather not tell the tale, for, as they have claimed:

This is to appease the Devil. That its chains may not drag you into the night...

And so, you, Raikou, Aren and Cyrus head to the Bitter Coffee and do spot Ketra, talking to some low life as she down a shot of who knows what, but it must be pretty strong, since the raptoran winces and tears roll down her cheeks as she shakes her head and slams the glass upside down on the table.

The other guy with her turns regularly to look at all of you, but his attention is focused clearly on Ketra.

The Bitter Coffee is abuzz with with people by now and several oil lanterns have been hanged from the ceiling, each with different colored paper wrapped around the glass, but they have yet to be lit.

And getting up from one of the tables, is that guy... Pyotr Marat, the Voice of The Mercy.

At least according to him. This guy, like you, hails form Halmathan. Unlike you, he lives there and makes it a habit to come to the Bitter Coffee every so often to denounce the evils of The City.

The man is a visionary, says some. An attention whore, claim others.Whatever the case may be, Pyotr is nothing short of driven to his cause.

And his cause is to talk... and he sure loves the sound of his voice:

"It is this fate, I solemnly assure you, that I dread for you, when the time comes that you make your reckoning, and realize that there is no longer anything that can be done.

May you never find yourselves, men of Halmathan, in such a position! Yet in any case, it were better to die ten thousand deaths, than to do anything out of servility towards the Tainted Cudgel and Broken Mask that is Connor!

A noble recompense did the people in The Mercy receive, for entrusting themselves to their unwavering beliefs, and thrusting the nefarious inquisitorial rule aside! And a noble recompense the democracy of Queen Maira, for driving away the evils that plagued this fair city!

Make no mistake, though: we are slaves, scourged and butchered! An elegnat blade, thrust in the night into our hearts and souls, driven us to abject servitude!

Fall not to folly, despair and cowardice. Cherish that here, you are FREE! Arm yourselves, men and women of The Mercy and heed not the evil counsel of the Palace of Injustice. Walk out of this Wall and in so doing, break the walls in your heart. Because to refuse to do anything that you should do, advocates of the enemy’s cause, and to fancy that you dwell in so great a city that, whatever happens, you will not suffer any harm."

The crowd is not amused. Not because of his words. Yes, something must be done about that bastard, but who's going to do it?

People starve here. They struggle every day not to get killed by man or whatever else lurks in the night.

And he wants to build an army. An army of untrained peasants to march all the way to the Palace of Justice and reclaim the City.

Yeah... and maybe then you can go punch Connor in the face.

It's a bootle flown towards Pyotr that barely misses him as the crowd gets restless.

Hey rich boy! You talk the talk, but where's your actions, huh?

I didn't break my back all freaking day to come here and listen to a pseudo revolutionary!

Get off the stage? Where's Vim?

Yeah! We want Vim Vom the Bom Bom!

Pyotr looks at the crowd and then at the wall behind him, with a liquor stain and turns to look at the crowd.

"You fools! Don't you get it? We can get up and fight for our rights! You want to waddle here and be nobodies. Come on! Strength in numbers and...""

Get off the stage!

You suck!

Nana Rose is quick to jump on the bar and whispers something to Pyotr as he nods and takes a seat as she addresses everyone.

"We all have something to say here. Nobody is less than the guy next to him. Not in my pub, is that clear?

And you... you like throwing bottles? That's cool. You know what's even cooler? Working an all nighter behind the counter to pay it off. So get your ass off that chair and start mixing drinks and you better know how to cook as well.

As for everyone: Vim will be here shortly for her performance. So in the meantime, get your drink on!"

The crowd cheers as the one idiot that threw the bottle gets up and begins working behind the counter as a familiar figure hauls a chair near your table and shakes his head:

"His heart is in the right place, but good intentions alone are not enough. Good evening Travis. I see you've made some new friends here.""

This is Anarion Lenwe, the elven bard.

You have met your fair share of bards back in Runestone and the City of Halmathan. Many performed at the best inns and restaurants in the City...before Connor declared them a menace to society.

Although you have not met Anarion before moving to The Mercy, he claims he was a well known musician back in the City, performing at the Halmathan Royal Theatre.

Today, Anarion is seldom seen around The Mercy, keeping mostly to himself. The few times you have spoken to him, he has made it clear that he is not a fan of the current regime, but has so far to outwardly state his intentions, unlike Pyotr.

Still, he is a jack of all trades, like all bards ought to be and he has become close friends with that massive ilumian, Kyrich the Githslayer.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Bella shakes her head in exasperation as Vim runs out of the door
    "Sword mistress?" she mumbles to herself in bemusement "I'm not sure I've ever touched a sword"

'whuff'

"Oh come on, I'm just saying it's a little misleading and-"

'chuff, sniff'

"well no, I don't want people to think I'm a pirate either... and I'm not sure I want to be seen as making for of connor, even in the mercy, it's just the second one's a bit... hardcore?"

'snort'

"oh don't even... fine, on your head be it"

She carefully folds the poster and pockets it securely

"come on wonderdog, best get this up"

'boof!'

For the second time in one day Bella head down to the coffee and attempts to flag down Nana Rose for permission to post the notice
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

@Isobel: You light a candle in the apartment, given that the sun has completely set and darkness has fallen.

You and Donna both check the posters drawn by Vim and although the idea of being a pirate looking for treasure is a fun kid's tale, the whole mention of Connor would definitely drive people away.

Then there's the one about the Syndicate of Swords... with you as Sword Mistress, no less.

It is true that druids can wield a blade. The scimitar being a favorite, but that's not exactly your cup of tea. After all, you can harness the powers of Nature itself and by Beory's Blessing, you will never need a blade by your hand.

Still, you might get some people interested with either of these posters.

You lock the door behind you and begin your loud and clanky descent down the metal stairs to the ground floor of the Green Meadows Apartments.

A few lights can be seen from some of the other apartments. The place isn't entirely devoid of people. Squatters like you and Vim, but this place is far from The Bitter Coffee. Unless you carry a torch or some other form to produce light, your only recourse is natural moonlight, which seeps through the heavy clouds above and shine over the very unhealthy pond in the patio.

The dead trees rustle against the breeze and create eerie shapes on the ground, which clearly put your brave St. Bernard more than jumpy.

It is then that Donna sniffs the air and whimpers as he hides behind you.

For such a big dog, he sure gets scared easily.

That's when a cold breeze blows through the patio and your eyes catch under a moon beam someone on the swings:

It's a little girl. Probably no more than five. She's lazily swinging on the scorched swing and looks at you and Donna as she giggles and them something splashes in the water not too far away from her, causing both you and Donna to direct your attention to the pond...

Nothing... and when you turn around to check on the girl, she's gone too.

It's a light pain in the back of your head as your vision gets blurry for a few seconds, but then, it is all back to normal.

All these talks about disappearing people must've caught on to you as well.

At any rate, you need to head to The Bitter Coffee.

The silent buildings tower above you. Not a single light coming from the broken windows above. By your count, it should be about five blocks, maybe a little more, before you start getting into the more crowded area of the Mercy and those flaming barrels and their hobo owners.

And as you take step after step through the streets, you feel that cold air again, funneled through the alleys as Donna turns to look at an empty point in space.

Something's not right. It's quite... too quiet.

It is then that a distant fire drum provides some light as you accelerate your pace. You have trained back in Halmathan to keen your senses and you can swear that a buzzing sound can be heard above you as the walls of these derelict buildings crack and shards of glass trickle down onto the street.

Donna begins barking loudly as he stands by your side and speeds up the pace. It is natural for pets to protect their masters and animals are said to have some sort of sense that warns them of things that to the untrained eye, should not be there.

It is then that you hear a bunch of hobos a block away kicking a man away from their safe spot as the flmes from the drum barrel extend their shadows.

Get out of here, man!

You're crazy!

I'll cut you if you stay here. This is our place... GET OUT!

What's going on there? and you can faintly see the man being harassed by the Mercyfolk as this one mumbles and groans and shuffles towards you.

This guy doesn't look like a Mercy resident- he wears a thick coat and a hat, of expensive make.

The man clutches his stomach as he vomits on the ground , leaving a disgusting scent of bile as his eyes, blood shot red and his face pale and veiny sees you and walks up to you, nearly tripping in the process as Donna barks incessantly, a warning for him to keep away.

The man nearly falls over you as he holds on to your hand. His is clammy and very warm. It's like he's been stuck in a furnace.

His speech is garbled, as copious amounts of saliva drools down his mouth and his blood shot eyes stare at yours.

"Goddam bitch! GODDAMN BITCH! Urghhhh! Owww! I need... I need...help.""

The man is hurting you as he holds on to your hand and then notices Donna growling at him.

"F*** her! Goddamn bitch... GODDAMN IT ALL!!!""

And just like that, the man pushes you aside and shuffles a little faster down the road you came and disappears into the shadows, not before hearing his vomit in the dark.

Maybe he had too much to drink. Nothing new here. People tend to do that to forget where they live.

You keep walking and the hobos watch you, since they were witness to the attack.

"You alright, miss? Damn fool got violent and we had to teach him a lesson. You be safe now, ok?""

And so, you make your way to the Bitter Coffee. Whatever you heard above you is gone...if it was there in the first place.

The Bitter Coffee is packed with people. Hard to find an empty chair as Nana rose tends to the patrons and smiles when you walk in with Donna.

"Hey Isobel! How are you? Come to see Vim?""

The gnome walks up to you and lowers her voice.

"She is late already. The patrons are getting drunk, but they will want a performance from her. The last one was a dud. How long before she comes over? Do you know?""

And then you show her the ads Vim drew, causing Nana to laugh heartily.

"Nice! Yeah, of course! Usually, people post these at the school's roster, but yes- you can put them outside the Coffee. I'm sure you'll fish someone soon enough with them. Are you putting both of them? You might want to put an address there. seems she forgot to fill that part out."

Once inside the Bitter Coffee, you catch several faces, old and new.

Raikou the halfling, who chose your stomach as a landing mat.... and his air elemental familiar, Cyrus.

Travis the scholar. A teacher at the House of Knowledge.

And then there's Aren the Raptoran. All seated with some elven guy you have not seen before.

And speaking of Raptorans...

Ketra from Halmathan is at another table, talking to some seedy looking guy.

You unfurl both posters and take a look at them.

Which to use?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Raikou stays close to the two he had already met, Travis and Aren, and he and Cyrus both wander through the crowded mess of drunken humans. Many times Cyrus pulls him to safety just as some drunken patron is about to crash into him. Clearly this wasn't a place for those of shorter height...

He had not been in a human place with this many people in quite a while, if ever, so he was still quite overwhelmed with everything and everyone here.

The halfling and the elemental stay close behind Travis, when suddenly he recognizes a familiar face and he lights up with a grin.

Heyy! Bell nice to see you again!

Raikou says, bouncing over to the human woman.

How are you doing tonight? Are you still alright from when I hit you earlier? Again, very sorry about that... So what brings you to this place?

Then he notices the posters in her hands and his curiosity takes ahold.

Oooooh. Whatcha got there? Can I see can I see?
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Seti smiles at Ketra's replies, and his face breaks into a wide grin as she downs her shot. he picks up his shot downs it quickly and spins the the glass on the table as he begins his reply.

"Well for one thing, I am known as a man who can handle his drink. I could drink a dwarf or ogre under the table. That, one could say is one of my many 'specialities'." He stops the glass in its spinning then spins it in the opposite direction. "As for as being important. That all depends. The fact that I am un-important, is part of what makes me so indispensable. I bet you didn't notice me in the market this morning. I saw you glide down into the midst of the crowd when our friends there," he nods over at Aren, Raikou and Travis, "were holding court."

He flips the shot glass upright and shakes it front of Ketra, "Spare some coppers, help a poor man fill his glass" he smiles and winks laying the shot glass back down on the table between them. "You see... people like ole' Cutter Conner hate to look up because they cannot soar, their jealousy makes them blind. Yet also most people hate to look down, because they fear to fall. You soar in skies, above the eyes of the jealous and the dreamers, both, and I... well I... I scurry in the gutters, unseen and ignored. Seti 'Guttereyes' Udzich" a half smile plays across his face.

"I am the ears and eyes of my people. A drunk, a beggar, a knave, just another haggard face, another nobody in a sea of nobodies. You see the fact that I am nothing, that's what makes me something." He stretches his back a bit before continuing.

"As for who I work for, now that is something that might take a bit more time than I think we have, at the moment. For now we can just say I represent the closest thing the Mercy has to a government. It isn’t perfect, and we aren’t, any of us angels, but we’re sure as hell not devils either. We are men and women, bitter boys and girls trying to do right by our neighbours and our home. Because sure as hell nobody else is. We are known by many names, but most know us as 'the Society' warlords will come and go, rooks and their cukoo's will nest, then take wing and migrate as the wind blows them, but the Society, we are the oldest, and when there is nothing left of the Mercy but a memory and ash, you'll be sure that one of our number will be there to watch that pile of cinder, and to make sure that memory is never forgotten."

Seti laughs as a bottle flies through the air and crashes near Pyotr, "see what happens when someone from the city tries to teach one of the Merciful how to live?" he wipes a tear from his eye, sighing before continuing. "I really hope you get to know us Ketra, you and your people. I know you are used to taking care of yourselves, but to live here, not just survive, but to really live, you are going to need a community. Your people, you are family. But your family and ours, we can make a larger whole, a society amidst all this savagery. OR..." he points at Pyotr on the stage, "We could always just get some pitchforks and march on Hamalthan..."
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2017-02-01 at 04:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Ketra's grin rises back as he takes his drink much better. Show-off. She is a bit surprised to hear about his presence that morning, however. "Wait, you were there? I should have guessed, once I saw you walk in and feigning vulnerability." His description of his framework underneath the Mercy is fascinated, though she wouldn't be surprised in the least if it turned out he was exaggerating. She'd heard about warlords in the past, so their influence can't be too universal.

"Well, I certainly have no designs on bringing our old life to you. And while I can understand the need to work together to build something greater... well, it's not as though we isolated ourselves in Halmathan proper, if anything we were fairly integrated into society outside where we chose to live, but here, well. Most of us know nothing of the Mercy but the rumors of its danger. The vast majority of us have only seen Eoil's workshop and the higher levels of the Wyvern. And since we can stay there, live for ourselves... I don't think we can ever really become part of your society, unless we remain here for a very long time, but I think until then we can at least be allies. Distant cousins, to keep the metaphor going."

She stares into her empty shot glass. "Though I'm not totally against the torches and pitchforks plan."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

If Travis had seemed lost in thought on the way to the Bitter Coffee, it probably had something to do with the street art he'd seen. The sewers ... perhaps a monster could live there. And devils are real enough, wicked creatures from another plane, like the bearded devil whose aid in combat I could briefly summon. Perhaps the hobos' information is accurate. Or perhaps I am the one who is going crazy. But it seems to me that I know entirely too little about what really goes on in the streets of the Mercy.

At the Coffee, he listens to Pyotr Marat's ranting. He is a fool. I'd like to be rid of Conner, but a few commoners armed with makeshift clubs trying to storm the palace would be more farce than force.

Getting late already? Where did the time go?

Anarion Lenwe comes over and Travis greets him. "Hello! It's good to see you. Aren, Raikou, this is my friend Anarion. Oh, and the air creature is Cyrus. Anarion, what are you up to these days? As for me ... well there is something troubling that you might be able to help with."
    Last edited by kinem; 2017-01-31 at 10:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

@Travis: As you walk past the many eyed graffiti, your mind hearkens back to the rumors uttered by the many drunken hobos in this place.

As a Runestone Scholar, you have called forth denizens from many different realities. Be they lofty celestials, forged from the purest and most noble essences...

And you have splintered the earth to call forth the denizens of Hell, awash with fire and brimstone.

Could any such beasts actually be living below The Mercy? Hard to tell- Raikou confused Aren with an angel and he's a sorcerer. They have knowledge of Outer Denizens, after all.

And if he could confuse a raptoran with an angel... what chance would a poor drunken sod have to properly identify a beast living below the sewers? At this point, it could be anything and that makes it a lot more worrisome.

For now, you have to find more people to join your cause. And if they won't join in person, provide information.

Once at the Bitter coffee, you watch Pyotr being booed by the crowd. How the hell are you going to get rid of Connor? That man is now virtually untouchable in The City of Power. If the Mercy took to the streets, it would end bad. It would be a massacre probably worse than the Great Fire that left The Mercy in its current state.

And once Anarion Lenwe joins your table- or as close as he can, given how crowded the place is, you introduce him to your new acquaintances.

The elf smiles and nods to all of you as he listens to your inquiries.

"Me? Been in the City today. That place isn't looking any better. I dare say that by the end of the year, unless the King is brought back, we might be looking at The Halmathan Empire, given Connor's many new rules. I heard he;s going to institute martial law, even.

That may be the reason why so many are flocking here, but this place isn't any safer. I am supposed to meet with Kyrich here, but he;s late, as usual.

So I will make time: what troubles you?""

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

He notices her looking into the empty glass, "You want another? Or anything to drink for that matter, it needn't be hard -- could get coffee?" He grabs the empty glasses, standing. "Cousin dearest, tomorrow, we follow up some leads regarding our little brother, or cousin, if you will, Soss we won't much done in that department tonight. Tell me though..." he leans on the table standing next to Ketra, "how long ago did he go missing? Exactly."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Teh vision of the creepy girl and the pool puts Bella solidly on edge, increasing the guilt that causes her to make a mental note to work on purifying the water as soon as possible

By the time she's assaulted by the man who, honestly seemed ill (and wouldn;t a plague be a fine capper for the Mercy) she solidly has a case of the willies.

The things make the Coffee a welcoming and calming reprieve from the unusual night
    At nan's inquiries Bella frowns slightly "No, sorry, I know she went to an appointment with an artist friend and sh's been running a little late all day, if she doesn't turn up soon let me know and I'll go looking, I'd hate for somethign to happen to her"
    She nods along with nans opinions of the posters and at the lack of an address
    "Yes, I though that, vim would prefer I not put down our address though and I agree, would I be able to rent a back room for interviewing people? Or if not could you make a suggestion for a venue?"

As she turns to the room proper and spots the table of... adventurous looking people she hmms thoughtfully, and when Raikous approaches her...

"Oh, hello, Raikou wasn't it? Nice to see you again too, and yes I'm fine, you were worse off than I"

she chuckles at the halflings exuberance

"I'm her for a friend but trying to get a little business done at the same time" she explains, handing the Raikou the second poster "I've been asked to find a missing person so I'm looking for some brave explorer types."
    She pauses for a moment before asking innocently "Would you know any?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

Raikou accepts the poster and reads it thoroughly.

So you're looking for missing people too? That makes two of us.

Then when Isobel asks if he knew anyone, he looks up, grins, and points to himself.

Lady, if you're looking for a brave explorer type, then you got one right in front of you.

Cyrus scoffs with amusement as the halfling says this and mutters something in his native tongue.

Spoiler: in Auran
    Show
    Brave? Sure.

Ignoring him, Raikou continues.

I also know at least two other people who might want to help out. Come on, I'll bring you to them. Consider this my way of making up to you for using you as a landing pad earlier.

Help me make some room Cyrus.

He tugs at the bottom of her coat and attempts to squeeze through the crowd back to where Aren and Travis were.

As they push through the tavern, Raikou looks again at the poster.

So who are you looking for and what is this Syndicate of Swords?
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2017-02-01 at 04:41 PM.
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Bella smirks and replies to the elemental
    Spoiler: auran
    Show
    "Bravery covers a multitude of deficits little one"

She follows the little man to the table and takes the proffered seat with a polite "good evening Gentlemen, Isobel Thorn, pleasure to meet those of you I haven't before"

She chuckles at the question before answering "My housemate's sense of humour in answer to your second question, I think it sounds bit grandiose myself, I'm looking for Archaidous Mithmironel, apparently he was seeking some sort of magical laboratory in the sewers-" Isobel swallows heavily "-but his team stopped reporting in. Who are you looking for? I'd be happy to offer my help in return, as well as payment of course"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis says "Hello, Isobel. Syndicate of Swords? I like it, sounds influential. Of course, we seem to have only one sword among us, but let that confuse our foes. I can cast a spell or two if need be.

Actually - and Anarion, this is the matter I wanted to discuss - many people have vanished recently in the Mercy, including students at the House of Knowledge. Though the Mercy was always dangerous, this is something else, something recent and rapid. We three - Aren, Raikou, and myself - already planned to search for the missing, including Archaidous.

I hate to say this, but I fear that most likely the missing are already dead. I have heard tales from hobos on the street of a monster that drags people into the sewers. Just a tall tale I thought at first, but it could explain the recent disappearances and some of the weird behavior of people on the streets, and the fact - which I didn't know before now - that Archaidous was exploring the sewers when he vanished tends to confirm it.

Anarion, have you heard any rumors? Also, you mentioned Kyrich; I believe he knows a thing or two about fighting, a skill we might need before this is over.

I had been planning to prepare a spell of scrying to try to find one of the missing students, and I will still try that, but now I think we'll need to look into the sewer instead. Aren, do you have the ability to protect people from hazards like poison and acid which we might find there even without any monster?"

28. - Top - End - #88

Ketra shakes her head. "No thanks, that was more a response to how... strong it was." When he asks about when Soss disappeared, she rubs the back of her neck. "Well... yesterday. Or the night before last, if you want to get technical, but he went out that night to run a message, and wasn't back by dawn like he promised. I know it doesn't seem like much, but we barely got here a week ago, and immediately put in place rules to ensure that we take everything seriously until we're settled in. Soss helped write the rules, in fact, since he was the first to go out and find extra work. One day is all we're granted before we're treated as lost- and at that point, I'm the only one who can do anything about it. Threats and lightning, etc."

She meets Seti's gaze quite deliberately. "But that makes our meeting all the better. If we work together and find him, if we can feel safer here, we can start relaxing those rules and integrate a bit more. Better for all of us, don't you think?"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

@Isobel: What exactly is happening here in The Mercy?

Tales of ghosts are not uncommon in places like this one. After such a tragic event like The Great Fire, who knows how many died and their souls have been unable to find proper rest.

And if Green Meadows Apartments are indeed haunted, that just adds another mark to the many troubles in the Mercy. You might need the assistance of a cleric for that matter.

Then there's that stagnant water... pollution. You haven't been here for long and so, have likely not felt the effects. Besides, as a druid of Beory, your body is quite resilient.

The same cannot be said about the other residents around that pool, never mind Vim, whose body is quite frail.

And perhaps, you have already met someone poisoned by it, given that man that brushed against you.

But at least now you;re amongst friends... after a sort. Nana shakes her head when you mention Vim' late show.

"An appointment with a friend...here? In The Mercy? And you let her go on her own at night? How long has that girl been in this town? Hmmm... maybe it's just me being a tad too nervous. Here, put the ads either outside the Coffee or inside. I have a room I used to rent out to someone who has... sadly gone missing too. NowI use it as storage for the pub's supplies, but you can use it to meet with whoever is interested. Speaking of which, hold on.""

@The Party: Nana clears her throat amidst the drinking and the mumbling and the cheap gaming and raises her voice.

"Hey, listen up, you lousy drunks! Anyone interested in a job, read these while you stagger your sorry asses out of my joint!

You may now get back to your drinking and illegal gambling."

The Bitter Coffee's patrons look up from their tables and some nod and others try to make out what the ads say, but withs cant light, they shrug and keep enjoying the very low quality drinks and food at the pub as Nana looks up at you and smiles.

"Hey, it's a start. But jokes aside, Belle: This place is dangerous. I think you and Donna can fend for yourselves quite well. I cannot say the same for Vim. Girl's got a golden heart, but that won't do her any good if someone stabs it to death.""

@Raikou: Nana pats you on the shoulder and winks as she watches her newest barista mess up an order across the pub.

"You two get acquainted and find grab yourself a chair. And remember:

No blasting in the Bitter Coffee, ok?""

You read the ads brought in by Isobel and can't help but hearken to the many tales told in the Ossian Way about pirates and hidden gold in the many isles and atolls in the Caribbean.

But this isn't the stormy seas. This is a city...and a dirty smelly one at that.

Still, nice drawing of a pirate chest.

And as Isobel's St. Bernard attempts to sniff Cyrus' non existent bottom and your familiar rises a few feet above the hound, you are surprised as you tug on the druid's cloak to discover that she, like you, can speak the language of such magnificent beings.

That doesn't deter you from proclaiming yourself a brave explorer. In a way, you are- you have soared above the waves in the vast ocean and met all manner of extraordinary beings, both of good will and malign.

So yeah: You are a brave halfling...and a dangerous one too, if the situation calls for it. Regardless of what Cyrus would howl and wheeze otherwise.

@Travis: Once acquainted with Isobel for the second time and with her ads placed up for any interested, you hear what she has to say about a lab.

Anarion listens to Isobel's tale and smirks.

"Archaidous Mithmironel? The Devil Worshipper? He isn't very liked across the Wall of Separation. The Grand Inquisitor's hatred for all wielders of the arcane extends doubly for him. But Isobel mentioned a lab..""

Anarion lowers his head in thought for a few seconds and then looks up at all of you.

"Missing people is a problem, yes, Travis. But I have someone who is missing of her own accord. You are looking for a mage. So am I. Kyrich should be here shortly, but then, both will head off to look for this mage.

A few things you must know:

The mage I am after is slippery and she won't be easy to catch, but I need her alive.

This mage is acquainted with Archaidous and his team. I have been told rather well, too. You help me get to this mage, and you might get your answers.""

Anarion Lenwe gets up from his chair and looks at all of you, stopping at Aren.

"But know that I cannot have anyone squealing after this. I have to make sure that nobody here carries a badge, if you know what I mean. If you are so inclined, I am to head off with Kyrich to get her. If you decide to join us, speak so now. Chances are that she already knows I am en route towards her and may be switching locations, so time is of the essence.""

@Ketra: You listen to Seti's proposal and and his questions.

What did Soss tell you before he disappeared?

Then it hits you:

I won't be gone for long, Ketra. Met this guy, Gram. Says he's in the trade business. I think we might be on to something here. He promised me weapons. I 'm going to meet him later this evening and make him an offer he can't refuse.

We're getting armed and ready even if Celitas thinks it's a bad idea. Just don't tell her I'm doing this, ok?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

@Aren: You are clearly pointed out by this elf. An elf that just got back from the City...

But why is there something wrong here? Your training kicks in as Anarion Lenwe talks to Travis and you begin to unravel his very being for your eyes and your eyes alone...

The scars and elven ears seem to peel off, as does his blade as a woman is revealed as something within her snaps and immediately she covers her left cheek as she gets up and does a very quick and altered Sending Spell, one not used with any components, directly into your mind.

Did he send you? I can tell when you Cudgel Cronies use your skills. Two choices:

1. You squeal and I will have to put you down here and now.

2. You shut up and never speak of it.

Your choice.

@Travis, Aren, Isobel, and Raikou: The massive ilumian makes his way in and looks around the crowd of drunkards as Anarion raises his hand and the bald warrior nods as he steps back outside.

"I am afraid I must be leaving now. Your call, ladies and gents. And Travis, should you want information about more things in the Mercy, I am certain some of the patrons here would know more than me.""