New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What alignment is this character?

Rain Thundermaker was a middle aged undine man who had a meals-on-ship restaurant that he lived on with his daughter, Puddle Thundermaker, and his wife, Ocean Thundermaker. He was an efficient businessman, barely making a profit margin so he could try to force other dock diners out of business. He showed his daughter his methods and always told her that the only way to survive in the world and remain free is to make sure nobody else climbs to your level. Rain used these lessons to instill in his daughter his desire that he had to always be the captain of his own fate. Self-determination was, and still is, important to Rain. Rain was also a skilled fisherman, using his undine swimming ability to catch large amounts of fish in a net alongside his daughter, who was just as amphibious as he. At least that was the case. A fairly new pirate gang swooped in one day and commandeered his tiny ship that he had at the dock. Rain, who was a fairly new part-time priest of Besmara, fought back, channeling negative energy to halt the foes and attempting to draw the fight away from his family. At first he made heavy gains, since he had previously had so much luck channeling as self defense that he had decided to tattoo Besmara's holy symbol on his left palm. He did not prevail, however, and was knocked unconscious. When he came to, he found the dock law enforcement checking his pulse and his family dead next to him. On that day he vowed revenge. From that day on, he knew he couldn't rest until he roasted the flesh of those who killed his family over an open fire and feed them to people. Perhaps, he could make them undead and make them his slaves forever, servicing his every want. Perhaps...he could do both.

Note: I know it would be smarter to take Selective Channeling as my first feat, but Aquatic Ancestery is calling my name. Besides telling me what alignment Rain is, let me know if I should take aquatic ancestory or selective channeling first?

Stats
    10 str
    16 dex
    12 con
    8 int
    16 wis
    18 cha

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What alignment is this character?

Aquatic ancestry! The whole point of dnd is to have fun and be creative. Besides, the charqcter is a new priest right? Would he really be good enough to sel3ctive channel as a boot?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nintendoh View Post
    Aquatic ancestry! The whole point of dnd is to have fun and be creative. Besides, the charqcter is a new priest right? Would he really be good enough to sel3ctive channel as a boot?
    I guess you have a point, there. I seriously just hope I get 25 point buy on this. It doesn't work as well with less points

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I can't really determine an alignment since many parts of the story don't make sense. It seems like he's a fisherman/cook/father but he also has a tattoo of a pirate goddess' holy symbol on him? He lives a humble man's life, but he believes in being on top and "making sure nobody else climbs to your level"? Self-determination, freedom, blah blah blah we get it, he's chaotic. But unless he already had insane tendencies, I don't see what would twist a person to want to murder (reasonable), cook (unreasonable), and feed to people (uhhh what) those who killed his family. It sounds like a bad story for a bad villain. If this is supposed to be the backstory to an evil character, I'd tell you to get rid of the unnecessary edgy bits (like wanting to feed them to people). It seems like he has a vendetta against these people, and I'd assume he wouldn't let anything get in his way. It's pretty solidly CE, but it reads too much like chaotic edgy to me.

Strength is being able to crush a tomato, Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato, Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato, Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad, Charisma is being able to sell a tomato-based fruit salad
    But..... isn't a tomato-based fruit salad... salsa?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmen4u View Post
    I can't really determine an alignment since many parts of the story don't make sense. It seems like he's a fisherman/cook/father but he also has a tattoo of a pirate goddess' holy symbol on him? He lives a humble man's life, but he believes in being on top and "making sure nobody else climbs to your level"? Self-determination, freedom, blah blah blah we get it, he's chaotic. But unless he already had insane tendencies, I don't see what would twist a person to want to murder (reasonable), cook (unreasonable), and feed to people (uhhh what) those who killed his family. It sounds like a bad story for a bad villain. If this is supposed to be the backstory to an evil character, I'd tell you to get rid of the unnecessary edgy bits (like wanting to feed them to people). It seems like he has a vendetta against these people, and I'd assume he wouldn't let anything get in his way. It's pretty solidly CE, but it reads too much like chaotic edgy to me.
    He's like the people in southeast asia that live on their boats, fish in the morning, then run a restaurant all day.

Edit: I'm going for chaotic since I'll be surrounded by pirates if I can get the campaign going and Besmara just makes sense for the character unless you can come up with a better goddess. I figured in order to play chaotic evil smart, one would have to be a little edgier. I still intend to try to make this work, though. Maybe I should make him humble UNTIL his family gets attacked? The heel-face-turn him?
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2017-01-29 at 08:18 AM.