New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default D&D 5th Edition Adventurers League DDAL05-01 Treasure of the Broken Hoard (IC)

Treasure of the Broken Hoard
    Prologue: A Chance Gathering of Giant Proportions

One of the most famous treasure hunters in the Realms, Veradda Stoor, has put out a call for assistance in tracking down caches of treasure hidden by the now-defunct Cult of the Dragon in the Greypeak Mountains. Through luck, skill, and the intervention of your faction, or from simply hearing of something to gain from this quest, you have been chosen to assist her. You were told to meet her in a clearing along the Black Road, east of the village of Parnast. Your trip along the Black Road showed signs of goblin presence, but has otherwise been uneventful. Other travelers you met claimed to have seen evidence of giant activity: runecovered boulders, huge footprints, and missing livestock. You saw none of that evidence, however. Maybe it was just the overactive imagination of scared farmers and merchants?

Greetings adventurers and heroes and welcome to the first adventure in the Storm King's Thunder installment of Adventurers League adventures. All of you are heroes of some minor degree of fame and thus have been gathered in order to fully uncover the secrets and mysteries in the sword coast left behind from the cult of the dragon, the cults of elemental evil, the maddening demons rising up from the underdark, and most recently, the strange mists that seemed to bring death and destruction whever they went (look up Tyranny of Dragons, Elemental Evil, Rage of Demons, and Curse of Strahd respectively). Those cataclysmic events are all over now, and all of Faerun is returning to a more peaceful time. Thus the factions whose agents and resources aided in saving the world on almost all of these occasions have taken up the task of cleaning up the results of the numerous events. That is not to say that only faction agents are acting on this, several other heroes looking for fame, fortune, or just a chance to do good have joined in. With their aim being to find elemental relics, dragon treasure hoards, grimoires of demonic madness, or maybe even power through bargains with the dark powers found in the mists. Whatever the reason, you have all been gathered to aid in one such "cleaner" (although she prefers the term "treasure-hunter") Varadda Stoor in her effort to clean up all of the remaining hoards gathered by the cult of the dragon.

Now to say why you have come here (note, if you dislike what I give you feel free to privately message me to work something else out, I'm just trying to involve all of the story elements):

Spoiler: Deglan Devolt
    Show
    You have come looking for information on your father. A Wise Owl (high ranking member of the Harpers) by the name of Kun Moro, proclaimed "Best Bard in all of Faerun" with his catchphrase "I can make all your wishes come true!" instructed you to head to a small clearing at the base of the Greypeak Mountains near a small town named Parnast, you were to meet with a Veradda as well as some other adventurers who, while you should as always keep an eye on, most likely were not of the truly unsavory *cough* Zhentarim *cough *cough* kind. He pointed you in this direction believeing that it would work both as a good lead on a fellow treasure hunter who might have information on your father, as well as ensuring that no secret rituals, ancient rituals, or powerful runic markings from the hoards would fall into the wrong hands (as well as to maybe... analyze them a little bit, but of course they'd destroy them afterwards). You headed towards the clearing, finding it to be just outside of the Aounarach Desert and roughly a tenday away from the city of Parnast and a small caravan stop called Vuerthyl in the Aunarach Desert. Along the road you happened to head up with several other heroes who appeared to have the same objective as you!

So you may introduce yourself and begin conversation with the other members, describing your appearance to them and maybe any quick conversations you might have along the road. When you believe yourself to be done typing up a quick introduction (but before you post) click on the spoiler below that says: "DO NOT OPEN (Unless I say so)" at which point you should open that (because I say so) and post your characters reaction. I would recommend showing some kind of divisor between your characters introductions and their reaction to whatever occurs.

Spoiler: Liam Arthur Dyne
    Show
    You hurried off towards the Greypeaks, with steel in your hand and iron on your chest you were ready for adventure. Just as you were about to leave, however, you recieved an official looking message from a Warduke (a high ranking member of the alliance). It seemed you were the closest agent to the Greypeaks and they wanted to ensure that they got their hands on any powerful items that were left behind (for mutual security of course). In addition there have been reports of giant activity and thus if you meet any giants you should ensure that they know about the alliance as a giant who is allied with the alliance makes the alliance even stronger. Thus you were instructed to quickly move to the Greypeak Mountains and meet up with some other treasure-seekers as well as the famous Veradda Stoor herself in order to recover these items and investigate these rumors. Along the way you found yourself in the company of several other adventurers who appeared to also be heading to the mountains to meet Veradda Stoor.

So you may introduce yourself and begin conversation with the other members, describing your appearance to them and maybe any quick conversations you might have along the road. When you believe yourself to be done typing up a quick introduction (but before you post) click on the spoiler below that says: "DO NOT OPEN (Unless I say so)" at which point you should open that (because I say so) and post your characters reaction. I would recommend showing some kind of divisor between your characters introductions and their reaction to whatever occurs.

Spoiler: Svenna Lutgehr
    Show
    (Noticed that you decided to instead abstain from the choice of faction and I never changed it so I will now change that in the OOC) The Sword Coast is so bright and full of color! Why just this morning you saw a large multicolored snail, and the plant life here is like nothing you have ever seen before. The people weren't as... frosty (in both ways) and there were a lot more humans than you thought (non-dwarves aren't really allowed in Ironmaster). You found reports of a great quest about to happen in search of treasure, by the nearby mountains of the Greypeaks. Luckily your wanderings had taken you almost all of the way but as you found yourself heading along the road to the clearing where the journey was supposed to began you discovered several other adventerous-looking people heading in the same direction as you, it appeared as they were also signed up to go on this quest along with you!

Spoiler: Lux DeAngelo
    Show
    (I just realized this now, but it might be a better idea to choose Grazz't instead of Mephitstopheles unless you're seriously set on him as you there is an entire season devoted to stopping Grazz't machinations in the Underdark) Lux, or Nathaniel as he's currently going by was traveling across the sword coast, using his abilities and powers to try and make the most out of his life when Nathaniel recieved an important notification from a Vindicator (a high ranking member of the Order) who told him that it was his duty to go and ensure that rumors of a group of goblins who had gone into the greypeak mountains were eliminated, for they had done heinous acts and must be punished. You were also informed that you would be acting in coordination with another Chevall, and it is recommended that you do your best to protect him, he is also someone who has been a bit harrassed based on their appearance. His name is Vultha Usk and you should meet him shortly.

Spoiler: Juliss Wildeye
    Show
    You have been through the forests trying to find peace in the death of your mother. Every now and then you head into the nearby towns to investigate, sell off any hides that you cannot use and to refurbish your weapons and armor. One specific day you hear about a job that offers a chance to do some good and to help others. The mission seems to be simple enough, a famous (though you've never heard of her) treasure hunter is apparently trying to gather up the remaining treasures left by some dragon cult. The treasure and money is not too important to you, but it could do some good. So you gather up what posessions you have and forge off through the forests towards the meeting point just off of the black road at the base of the Greypeaks. As you are heading down the road you find that there are several others who look like the adventuring type who you discover to be also heading on this mission.

Spoiler: Alton Goodbarrel
    Show
    Baron Brown Riverwood has just recieved news... His assisstance is required in a delicate matter that members of powerful factions deem necessary. It appears like he has been asked to aid in a collection of some kind, something about that blasted dragon cult uprising that halted his search when he first heard about Kendara. If the factions require assisstance that means there may be some kind of reward in store, and while you may not have time for friends, quick cash or favors never did anybody any harm. It seems that you are to head to the base of the Greypeak Mountains, in between a trading post in the Aunaroch Desert called Vuerthyl and a small town at the end of the Black Road called Parnast. You head on the Black Road towards the meeting point and discover that you do not seem to be the only one who has been asked to go on this mission. Several other heroic-looking adventurers are heading in the same direction along.

Spoiler: Vultha Usk
    Show
    (Everything I do is purposeful in this) What is this? A piece of white cut tree, with the black marks the warm-bloods call "writting." Hmmm... The markings say to: "Meet at base of the Peak of Grey Mountains..." wait a minute, now that doesn't make any sense how can you be at the base of a peak? Oh, ah! Common is so tricky sometimes, it's "Meet at the base of the Greypeak Mountains. We have also requested another member's aid in this task. You will be able to recognize him by the horns and his devout sense of justice. Your goal is to ensure the destruction of a band of goblins who are terrorizing travelers who pass by. --The Order of the Gauntlet" That makes a lot more sense.

You headed to the meeting spot, trying to avoid the roads whenever there were large groups of travelers as you don't know what they'd think of you. You travel across the marsh of chelimber until you happen upon a group and you notice that there is a red man with horns! Could this be the group that you are assissting with, you cautiously head forward to ask.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Spoiler: DO NOT OPEN (Unless I say so)
    Show
    When you reach the rendezvous point, Veradda Stoor is nowhere to be found. Countless footprints of various sizes, and lots of bloodstains, mar the ground. A search of the area ultimately turns up the body of your would-be employer, several-hours dead from a variety of wounds.
    What is left of her equipment is scattered around the clearing. A large tome holding her notes is open on the ground near her body. The last several pages have been torn out.

Please read everything that you're supposed to read carefully.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition Adventurers League DDAL05-01 Treasure of the Broken Hoard (IC)

A young man, tall but not too tall, broad but not too broad, helped lead the mules of the caravan, being accostumed to such work as a boy. His blue eyes saw to the mules' needs dutifully, but kept darting eagerly toward the Greypeak mountains in the distance, toward adventure. He smiled to himself and shyly brushed a lock of his shoulder-length blond hair out of his eyes. He continually fidgeted with the chainmail beneath his tunic as if he were unused to the way it hung from his shoulders. In truth, these last few days were the first time he'd ever worn armor for any length more than a few moments.

Liam turned to the nearest of their assembly, a stout Dwarf woman from the mountains, "I've heard talk of giants roaming nearby," the boy began, "What do you make of that?"

Much later, in the shadow of the Greypeaks, they'd stumbled upon what looked to have been a battleground and the corpse of the treasure hunter they'd meant to rendezvous with...

Liam stared in shocked apprehension, fret etched into his deeply furrowed brow even as his jaw slacked agape.

"She's been killed..." the boy blurted stupidly. He turned to another member of their party, this one a self-assured human man wearing no weapons or armor, "Goblins, do you think?"
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2017-02-03 at 01:35 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition Adventurers League DDAL05-01 Treasure of the Broken Hoard (IC)

(OOC:) Sorry, previewed with a roll...
    Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    [roll0]
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    (OOC:) Sorry, previewed with a roll...
    Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    [roll0]
    Hmmm... I can't see it?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

(1d20+2)[3]

EDIT: rofl fml
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2017-02-03 at 12:11 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Liam Arthur Dyne
    Show
    In your shock and confusion you can glean no details about this situation other than the fact that some woman is most obviously sleeping, not dead as you proclaimed earlier.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Vultha Usk pushed forward, towards the horned man, focusing on him with his unnerving, almost predatory yellow eyes. His sheer size, dwarfing most humans, his black scaled hide, already natually hardy, due to years of warfare, bolstered further by leather armor, that looked much less barbaric than what most Lizard-folk tend to wear. He was notably heavily armed, with two handaxes adorning matching leather holsters on his belt, a battleaxe holstered over his back, a longbow slung over his shoulder with the matching quiver , and of course, a pack with gods know what.
    Horns. Order gave me white piece of wood, told me to meet with you here.
    As I deliver what I know, I look over the odd man. I have never seen someone have such a color of skin. However, experience has taught me that inquiring about human's skin tones can be a subject that causes aggression. I instead choose to ask about the horns. Why do you have horns, Horns? I've lived with humans for years, and have not seen a human with horns.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

[Sweet! Grazz't it is. Thanks for putting so much thought into this, it's a killer start.]

Lux, or Nathaniel, because by now he had fully assumed his persona to avoid confusion, was focussed on a point on the horizon when he turned around to the sound of Vultha approaching.
    It was all he could do not to jump up in the air from surprise, and it took everything Nathaniel had to keep his composure. This was exactly how he pictured getting dragged down to hell would start. With a giant, armoured, beast sent to get him.
    As Nathaniel caught his breath again, he could see what the Vindicator had meant when he had said that Vultha has had similar problems with his appearance. Nathaniel looked the brute up and down and smiled a wicked smile.
    Goodness, if this specimen is on my side those goblins don't stand a chance.

"You must be Vultha." He said as he straightened his tabard. It was a simple black tabard with an intricate white cross woven into the front of it, Sarenrea's symbol was smartly incorporated into it and the whole thing looked virtuous and badass. He was wearing a large matching cloak over his shoulders with a hood, that was currently hanging between his shoulders. The outfit somehow gave credibility to this red skinned, horned and silver-tongued person. It also helped that he shaved off his pencil-thin moustache.
    "Pleased to meet you, I am glad the gods saw it fit for us to get to know each other." Nathaniel said as he considered various options and outcomes. Was he sent because they had poked a hole in his cover? Probably not. Have they discovered his ties to Grazz't? Hmm. Is this yellow eyed monster smarter than he's letting on? Possibly. Should I try and stay on his good side, and gather more information? Hell yeah.

"I believe the horns are there to remind me that every man and woman is different and is carrying their own burden in life. Also, you might consider the fact that I'm not human."
    Nathaniel said with a cheeky wink.

++++++++++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++++++

As they reach the rendezvous point, Nathaniel tries to discern what footsteps are on the ground but when the body is found he spends his full attention on it.
    Kneeled beside it, eyes closed, he prays to Sarenrae and asks for her guidance to help this pour soul cross over peacefully and to be taken into the warm embrace of her wings of sun and radiant scimitars of hope and much more of this religious mumbojumbo that he can think of.

His holy symbol out, and a single tear rolling off of his cheek. He waits patiently for the others to conclude their business and share their findings with each other. It wasn't just that he didn't enjoy working, cause he definitely didn't, it's just that given the opportunity to crouch over a dead body and reinforce his cover, it came miles ahead of being useful. Besides, it was a great chance to see what the skill sets of the others were. Nathaniel was a tad opportunistic like that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Lux/Nathaniel
    Show
    OOC: No problem, I try to do this with my games to ensure that this is a group experience, not just some railroad (even though that's considerably harder in AL I try to do my best)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Liam turned to the nearest of their assembly, a stout Dwarf woman from the mountains, "I've heard talk of giants roaming nearby," the boy began, "What do you make of that?"
    Svenna turned to eye the boy as she walked with him. Her quarterstaff clacked on the stone road with each alternating step. Her shorter stature, typical for a dwarven woman like herself, yet out of place this far away from the places people usually found dwarves, meant she was pressed to keep up with the comparably loping strides of her companions. "Ehh, don't think we'll be seein' any of the colossal buggers any time soon, if tha's what yer askin'. They leave us alone, we leave them alone, e'erybody's happy. No one likes to be bothered. The villagers are probably windin' each other up with tales of bones being ground to make some bread when a pack of wolves probably took a sheep while the shepherd was nappin'." She turned her hazel eyes back towards her surroundings, her long, rope-like braid swinging behind her, causing a few scales of her armor to clatter. The woods seemed calm, and whatever treasure lay ahead of the group almost sunk to second priority as she simply enjoyed the scenery. She took a deep breath and inhaled, her wide shoulders and broad chest expanding as her lungs filled with the fresh air. This felt nice. She paused a moment, reaching up with one arm to wipe some sweat from her bushy eyebrows, the back of her thumb grazing the slight sliver of lighter flesh of a scar, cutting straight downwards from her left eye down to the middle of her cheek. She came back to attention, and grumbled slightly to herself, "At least I don't have to keep up with a giant's pace..."

The dead body was unsettling. Especially given it was the dead body of their employer/contact for this particular venture. Svenna moves forward, leaving the Tiefling priest, or cleric, or what have you with the business of last rites. He seemed to be stumbling a bit, but she wasn't all that familiar with burial services. The book was of more interest, and so she stoops down to pick it up, stowing her staff away for the moment, flipping through the pages to try and gleam information from the tome. She reaches the empty space of the missing pages, and attempts to read the two pages preceding the absence.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wearing only simple clothes and carrying just a quarterstaff Deglan doesn't really seem like much. He has some muscle on him but remains lean and fit. He doesn't seem like one who would be getting in a lot of fights, although there is more than meets the eye. Deglan glances around at the many different adventurers joining up on the same little adventure he set himself on. He sizes them up more or less, not intentionally but just cautiously. He remains calculated in that sense, wanting to be aware of his surroundings and if any of these other heroes would be much help in a bind.

There was a short dwarf woman, long braided hair and broad shoulders. A bit cute in Deglan's opinion. She seemed like she could carry herself well, not to mention the scar on her left cheek. I'm sure there is a story there... but should I ask her about it... No that would be rude on a first meeting... Deglan sighs to himself a bit but continues to look around. There is a horned creature with reddish skin and a fancy mustache. Huh, must be a tiefling Delgan thought to himself, He should come handy in a... His thoughts are cut off as a hulking, over 6 and a half feet tall Reptilian creature comes over and converses with the Tiefling. Deglan's jaw almost drops as he lets out an audible, "Holy Crap". He quickly composes himself and takes a good look at the creature Ok ok I know I read about this somewhere in one of my books.... hmmm.... "OH Lizardfolk!" Deglan exclaims out loud. His hand goes straight to his mouth as he realizes he exclaimed that out loud...
    Deglan looks around at the confused faces and begins to apologize, "I'm sorry folks, I'm not really used to traveling with strangers and this is all a bit much to take in. My name is Deglan Devolt. It's a pleasure to meet each of you. He extends an hand out to no one in particular and just kind of leaves it hanging there in the air... Why am I so awkward....

Deglan glances around at the signs of a scuffle and bloody scene. When they finally find the body he just stares down at her. It was his first and only lead to his father, and now its gone. He kicks himself for being so callous and then realizes someone is trying to talk to him. He looks at the body and the prints around "I'm not entirely too sure if it was goblins... Its a possibility. We should collect all the clues we can find to figure out what happened here. He stops for a moment and glances around at the woods surrounding "Although, we should be careful. Whatever happened to her could still happen to us...

Deglan notices the dwarf glancing through a tome, Damn I need to see what's in that tome... he thinks to himself briefly before walking over to her. "I'm sorry for the intrusion but do you think we could glance through that together? I'm very interested to see what's inside..." Deglan politely asks, hoping to figure out something

Spoiler: Deglan OOC
    Show

Ok sooo let me know what I can and cant do in the time frame but essentially:

Investigation towards what may have attacked, if it was goblins - (1d20)[20]
    Perception of our environment and if anything is watching or if we are safeish - (1d20+5)[12]
    Investigation of tome if Svenna lets me look with her - (1d20)[9]

I wish I grabbed investigation instead lol.... alas I shall accept my character now.

Edit: Huh, nat 20... well I better damn know if these were goblins or not ;)
    Last edited by Relkin; 2017-02-03 at 09:47 AM.
    Games I DM
    War of the Heavens: IC OOC - Map

Games I Play In
    The Godkiller's Will: IC OOC DOC - Raistlin - Master of Lore

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Juliss wandered at the back of the group, gazing at the peaks on the horizon and occasionally thumbing the wolf's fang tied around her neck. The mountain air tickled her senses with hints of flora and fauna stranger than she could imagine, not to mention the scents of her traveling companions. On hearing talk of giants, she jogs to join the dwarf and boy.

"I saw a giant once. Well, I tracked it. Well, I tracked its prints. But I lost it in the wastes past the edge of the woods. At least I think it was a giant. They were huge prints. Hi Juli my name is, who you are?" She pauses to breathe, then realizes what she said and blushes. She retraces herself slowly, "Hi, my name is Juliss, but you can call me Jules or Juli. Either. Or both. What are your names?"

---

Juli walks the perimeter of the scene, looking for tracks, clues, and any animals that might have witnessed the attack.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

OOC: First time with the dice roller hopefully I got it right.
    (1d20+3)[7] Perception for animals.
    (1d20+0)[13] Investigation for clues

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Svenna Lutgher
    Show
    You do a cursory analysis of the pages before and after. Skimming through it becomes apparent that the stolen papers had to do with some kind of "secret staches." Based on this quick skimming, however, you cannot uncover more than that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

(Sorry for double post, I didn't notice there were more replies )

Show
    Reminder that tracking and identifying is Survival... Although that makes it a 23 . It seems obvious that there were goblins here but... That's strange... They go... Back to the mountains? Wait, what's over the- as you begin to walk around around you discover something that you (possibly?) have never seen before: An area of crushed grass with a length roughly equal to your hieght and a width around the hight of your halfling! At first it looked just like a bunch of footprints but you now realize it is one colossal footprint. What could have done this you have no idea, but it had to be really big.You also notice that there are around twenty goblin-ish footprints scampering around the area.

You believe that you are alone...

You also look through the book, and it becomes apparent that the stolen papers had to do with some kind of "secret staches." It also seems like she kept multiple copies of her notes, making margin notes of: "Copy this" or "Keep this one hidden." Based on your mind being caught off guard about the huge footprint, however, you cannot uncover more than that.

Also you can use the rebuilding feature after the mission.

Show
    You do not notice any animal tracks, but it's really hard to identify anything given the sheer number of footprints around the area.

As you look for clues you notice that there are seeral pieces of parchment that are protruding slightly from one of Veradda Stoor's pockets.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Juli walks over and searches Veradda's pockets, retrieving several scraps of parchment. She moves next to the dwarf with the tome and thrusts the pages under her nose.

"I found these!"
    She exclaims.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As the half-elf hands the papers out to the dwarf/the party it becomes clear that Veradda had more notes than just the ones in the tome... You unfurl them with the satisfying sound of crinkling parchment and you see written in a quick and messy form of handwriting are extra notes on these secret staches. Each stache appears to be in the Greypeaks, slowly getting higher and higher until you're at the top (if you follow all of them). As you read further you find information regarding each of the caches:

The First Cache: The first treasure cache was hidden by the Cult of the Dragon in an abandoned cave at the base at of the southernmost mountain in the Greypeak range. While it was thought to be the smallest of the caches, it is also not thought to be protected by any traps or magic. The caves and tunnels of the complex, according to my sources, are not very structurally sound. Goblins are known to inhabit the area.

The Second Cache: My sources confirmed that one cache was buried beneath a unique structure: a pyramid of stone resting on a flat field of stone in the middle section of the Greypeaks, directly between the two highest mountains of that section of the range. The area was once rent with volcanic activity, making the flat stone field difficult to navigate. My sources could not tell me who or what built the boulder pyramid.

The Third Cache: The source I questioned about this cache said that it was carefully hidden behind a secret entrance in the wall of a green-sided mountain. There is only one of those in the Greypeak range, according to my research. The source also said that the cultist who hid the treasure was an expert in magical curses.

The Fourth Cache: This cache was secured in an abandoned dwarven outpost used for treating ore that was being prepared for use in weapon-smithing. My sources implied that the place had been overrun by something terrible and immortal, causing the dwarves to leave it centuries ago. Subterranean volcanic activity has been reported in the area regularly over the years.

The Fifth Cache: At the top of the tallest summit of the Greypeaks, one contact told me that there is an abandoned shrine once revered by giants. Dragons used the area as a perch since then, and a cache is going to be hidden there. Someone also told me that occasionally, when the wind is blowing in just the right direction, a pealing of loud bell can be heard from there.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

Deglan looks through the wild and can definitely tell there were goblins around but it seems that they have scampered off. He then notices a GIANT footprint in the ground which startles him. He immediately begins to sweat and lose control but quickly composes himself, You got this man, it's just a giant footprint that could easily squash you. Nothing to overreact about... He tries to remain focused and glance at the tome but can't seem to keep his mind straight. He has a nagging feeling in the back of his mind so he steps away from it and addresses the group. The half-elf brings up some more notes he found on the dead treasure hunter but Deglan is more concerned with their safety at the moment so he presses on with his information. "Guys, I've found something very concerning... Over here by this crushed grass." He points out the area, "At first I thought it was a collection of footprints but its not... It is one colossal one... And that concerns me. I know the townsfolks talked of giants and the like and we haven't really found evidence but," he pauses a moment "Well here is some evidence..." he lets whoever examine the big footprint before also mentioning that the goblin tracks strangely went back to the mountains.
    Last edited by Relkin; 2017-02-03 at 10:35 AM.
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smg6512 View Post
    Juli walks over and searches Veradda's pockets, retrieving several scraps of parchment. She moves next to the dwarf with the tome and thrusts the pages under her nose.

"I found these!"
    She exclaims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relkin View Post
    "Guys, I've found something very concerning... Over here by this crushed grass." He points out the area, "At first I thought it was a collection of footprints but its not... It is one colossal one... And that concerns me. I know the townsfolks talked of giants and the like and we haven't really found evidence but," he pauses a moment "Well here is some evidence..." he lets whoever examine the big footprint before also mentioning that the goblin tracks strangely went back to the mountains.
    After finishing reading off the pack of notes out loud, albeit with a bit of an accent, Svenna perks up as Delgan reveals to have found more clues. She looks over the sets of tracks he identified, and nods at his assessment. "Good job." She kneels down and ponders what this would mean. "Well, one cache is in Goblin territory. Little blighters probably scurried off to secure it. We could head there first, avenge the death of our comrade," she points to Verrada's body before continuing, "and get some o' the treasures in one swoop." She takes a deep breath and sighs, not understanding what the giant's footprint would have to do with any of this. "Not sure what the giant was lookin' for though..."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Always present, but never seen doing any actual work, was what looked at furst glance as a country child. A second glance showed the matured features of an adult halfling. Dressed in simple undyed wool shirt and brown slacks, the only real color comes from his deep green cloak that nearly matches the color of his eyes.

He has introduced himself simply as Alton Goodbarrel, an adept sorcerer employed by Baron Riverwood and dispatched on an urgent errand. He regularly shifts a pair of dice around his left hand, but never seems that interested in playing at dice.

----

Alton barely reacts to the body. He starts to make a joke, but quickly stops talking as everyone begins seriously investigating the scene.

"Guess you could say that's a giant clue. I think this whole thing feels like a trap. If this happened hours ago, why rush and rip out some pages, but leave the body and the rest?"

Idly, Alton creates the image of a chess board with the party as pieces hovering midair in front of him. (Using Minor Illusion)

(What time of day is it?)
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    Always present, but never seen doing any actual work, was what looked at furst glance as a country child. A second glance showed the matured features of an adult halfling. Dressed in simple undyed wool shirt and brown slacks, the only real color comes from his deep green cloak that nearly matches the color of his eyes.

He has introduced himself simply as Alton Goodbarrel, an adept sorcerer employed by Baron Riverwood and dispatched on an urgent errand. He regularly shifts a pair of dice around his left hand, but never seems that interested in playing at dice.

----

Alton barely reacts to the body. He starts to make a joke, but quickly stops talking as everyone begins seriously investigating the scene.

"Guess you could say that's a giant clue. I think this whole thing feels like a trap. If this happened hours ago, why rush and rip out some pages, but leave the body and the rest?"

Idly, Alton creates the image of a chess board with the party as pieces hovering midair in front of him. (Using Minor Illusion)

"Maybe she tried to hide the important information from the goblins? Or from us? For whatever reason, the goblins left it to us. I'd more like to know what a giant was doing here. Beyond that, if we're going straight to the first cache I can try to track the goblins from here."

Show

(1d20+5)[22] Insight for Veradda's motives.
    (1d20+5)[9] Insight for giant.
    (1d20+5)[8] Survival to track.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Vultha grunted in acknowledgement, responding to Lux's grin by giving the teifling a full, unsettlingly toothy smile.
    Human enough. Let us get going, Horns.

++++
    When Usk and Lux reached the rendezvous point, Usk stood above the scene of murder that the others had uncovered, and stared intently at the body, looking over the wounds, before moving towards the body of the would be employer, an hoisting her up.
    Shame. It appears we are out of a job. Maybe we could hunt a cleric, and perhaps revive her. Simplist way of getting the information. Would be a stronger, better guided group. Most valuable connection lost, the soft-kins are too busy mourning, praying or speculating.
    Last edited by Alkerite; 2017-02-03 at 12:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

"Maybe she tried to hide the important information from the goblins? Or from us? For whatever reason, the goblins left it to us. I'd more like to know what a giant was doing here. Beyond that, if we're going straight to the first cache I can try to track the goblins from here."
    Deglan agrees with the course of action that the Half-Elf lays out and decides to help her look for tracks or a route to get them started towards the first cache.

Show

Survival: (1d20+2)[19]
    If he finds anything substantial he points it out to the group and waits till everyone is ready to get moving

Edit: Sorry I rushed that and it was supposed to be +3 not +2 so the result is actually 20
    Last edited by Relkin; 2017-02-03 at 12:06 PM.
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You would estimate it's just before midday, as you see the sun still hangs overhead, bearing down upon you with heat (as you're right next to one of the largest deserts on Faerun).

Show

[roll0] Insight for Veradda's motives.
    [roll1] Insight for giant.
    [roll2] Survival to track.
    Show
    Based on the fact that she was an explorer and seems quite meticulous given the size of her journal it is possible she made duplicates in the case of a terrible event (like this). You seriously doubt that goblins would've had the intelligence to create such a complicated deception... Then again, with evidence of an almost mythical creature (giant) nothing seems to be impossible at this point.

Based on the giant footprint you can't really glean any information that you think would be useful.

The tracks are obvious enough that you can very easily follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkerite View Post
    Shame. It appears we are out of a job. Maybe we could hunt a cleric, and perhaps revive her. Simplist way of getting the information. Would be a stronger, better guided group. Most valuable connection lost, the soft-kins are too busy mourning, praying or speculating.
    Based on the map provided by your faction about the location of the meeting point it seems like the closest town (called Parnast) is a good tenday away... more if you're carrying a body.

Quote Originally Posted by Relkin View Post
    Deglan agrees with the course of action that the Half-Elf lays out and decides to help her look for tracks or a route to get them started towards the first cache.

Show

Survival: [roll0]
    If he finds anything substantial he points it out to the group and waits till everyone is ready to get moving

Edit: Sorry I rushed that and it was supposed to be +3 not +2 so the result is actually 20
    Show
    The path is easy enough to follow, with clear evidence of travel. It seems to lead to the south, heading along the bottom-most part of the mountain. It's like the goblins weren't even trying to be careful, at any rate, their foolishness would allow for you to easily head in that direction.

Deglan points out a path made by the goblin footprints that leads southwards along the base of the mountain.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Alton dismisses his chess board and casts Mage Armor on himself.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alton dismisses his chess board and casts Mage Armor on himself.
    Sounds good, a suit of shimmering armor forms around your body.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Before, on the trail, as Liam discussed the possibility of giants an excitable half-elf woman trotted alongside them to discuss the matter further. As a farm boy who had never seen an elf, Liam was immediately struck by her beauty and taken with her exuberant charm.

"Juli," he started to say, before thinking to himself, She's an elf! She's beautiful... All he said out loud however was, "Uhm... Li--I... Hi," he managed to smooth things over with a charming smile and then recovered himself, "My name's Liam."

She's only sleeping, the farm boy thought to himself of the body on the ground. "Guys, she's only--" Liam started to blurt out, again, stupidly, but this time his foolishness was prevented by the same half-elf from before as she rifled through the sleeping woman's pockets and triumphantly produced a handful of notes. No... not sleeping, then. The boy frowned. Hm. So, she is dead.

The group made a big commotion, a giant's footprint was discovered (But only one? Shouldn't there be at least two tracks?), and everyone discussed what to do with their dead employer and where they should travel to next. Liam listened carefully, but started digging at the earth with his longsword. He would press on to find the treasures, the Lords' Alliance had contracted him to do so anyway, and his guild was beholden to the Lords. But before any of that, Liam wasn't going to let this woman sit to rot and be torn apart by vultures and other less savory creatures of the mountains...

Spoiler: Dig check?
    Show
    Not sure what to roll here, so I'll do a basic Strength check and an Athletics check. Your call DM.
    Strength (1d20+2)[19]
    Athletics (1d20+4)[14]
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2017-02-03 at 01:50 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

(But only one? Shouldn't there be at least two tracks?), and everyone discussed what to do with their dead employer and where they should travel to next. Liam listened carefully, but started digging at the earth with his longsword. He would press on to find the treasures, the Lords' Alliance had contracted him to do so anyway, and his guild was beholden to the Lords. But before any of that, Liam wasn't going to let this woman sit to rot and be torn apart by vultures and other less savory creatures of the mountains...

Spoiler: Dig check?
    Show
    Not sure what to roll here, so I'll do a basic Strength check and an Athletics check. Your call DM.
    Strength [roll0]
    Athletics [roll1]
    There probably should be, but given how hard it was to identify the giant footprint given the sheer amount of footprints running all across this area it's possible they just went unnoticed.

While all others are deliberating you quickly begin to toil and eventually bury the once-famous treasure hunter (after the rites from the "priest" are completed I assume).

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

Vultha relinquished the body, disappointed with the loss of a valuable contact. He then assisted the soft skin in burying the treasure hunter, humans were so ill suited to working with their bare hands.
    Think we should follow tracks. Hunt the killers. Find their camp. Hide nearby, pick off stragglers. Vultha spoke, to nobody in particular, confident in his abilities to track the goblin horde, and secure enough in the current numbers to begin a tactical assault.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So it seems that the consensus is to head follow the goblin trail (will update this if nobody posts to the contrary soon)?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

After a while brother Nathan (I think thats how i'll call him from now on) stood up and took a step away from the corpse. He absentmindedly rolled a tobacco leaf filled with herbs and spices. He let the cigarette slip through the fingers of his right hand and slide over his knuckles a few times before he flicked it in the air and caught it between his his lips.

The moment the cigarette hit his lips the tip of the thing burst out in a small flame (Thaumaturgy) and Brother Nathan inhaled deep. He savoured the flavours of the smoke for a moment and rubbed his cheek.

"Agreed, those goblins can't go unpunished for this."