New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: VIGIL 4: Swordfights!!! on Air

[Cultist Interview]

Electra sleeps most of the way from MERC HQ to the VIGIL base. Holding the demon at bay took a toll on her, and she needs the rest, however brief. Once they arrive, though, she'll be awake and in better spirits. The results of asking around pique her curiosity about this place the leader went.

"What's a moon well?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

2. - Top - End - #932

[Returning]

"Have you asked? You have to have some clue if you know this person. Did she lose someone or something to them? That's pretty common." Anika suggests. "Druids are always warned to not turn into wolves as their rage is too great. Yet some choose to ignore that warning during the war against demons and were consumed and turned into monsters myself. My point is, this is what makes demons so dangerous.
    Even if you can best them in combat, they make us lose ourselves. Most people in the business of killing have to disconnect themselves from what they're doing. If they think too much about who they're ending the life of, they just can't handle it. But demons are different, they're not people so you don't feel much remorse killing them, yet they're not animals so they're not blameless either. So in many ways, they're the perfect enemy, we're killing them like perfect psychopath's. No remorse or hesitation. So when we get upset with them, there is nothing really holding us back, they are literary just monsters that the world is better off without, making it hard to mentally justifying to stop killing them." Anika raises her finger. "And that's how we lose ourselves, Wenomir. We can't hold back that righteous rage and it consumes us, like it might have done to your friend. It's not unlike how we druids have to stave off our animal instincts while in animal form, when you're hungry its sometimes hard to find reason to not attack potential prey if you're say, a shark or a snake."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-03-02 at 09:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning]

"I think she did, which is why I didn't ask," Wenomir admits. "She had a girlfriend, and they left together. Then she came back, alone, with a grudge against demons a mile wide. It's not hard to put two and two together." Then he pauses. "It's... easy to hate them. They're a disease, if a disease could talk. They corrupt everything around them and they dress it up in platitudes." He breathes out. "But they must die because they threaten everyone, not because I, personally, hate them. You're right."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

Kirk won't be trying to go too far with the car. It's may be more practical than their previous transportation, but it's hardly an off road vehicle. "What exactly is your history with this person?" Kirk adds as they start to walk.

5. - Top - End - #935

[Cultist Interview]

"It's a shrine of my people, a well filled with arcane energies." Anika attempts to explain as they arrive at the grove. The trees that stand here are either burned out husks or very young. The grove appears to slowly be recovering from some sort of flash-fire.
    "As for Shanti, we were colleagues once, friends even. But we got into the company of some pretty bad people and it seems to have effected her more than me. We went our separate ways, and hadn't talked since she came begging to help her out of skyside. I didn't even know she was in the nexus too, but apparently she has been here for a while. Much longer than me." The druid continues as they walk through the forest, soon reaching what appears to be the burned out husk of a gigantic tree-man sitting at the very center of the grove.

"It's up there, on its head." She says with a gesture at the burned ancient. "No clue how it ended up there but I've stopped trying to make sense of the nexus." Anika looks around, there was something wrong here...

The other two can't detect anything amiss however, the grove seems peaceful.

[Returning]

"Yeah, they've ruined so much already. We can't let them ruin us as well by dominating our lives to such a big degree. I mean, they're not going to continue to exist for very long, am I right? So why bother."
    Anika grins.

6. - Top - End - #936

NinjaGuy

[Cultist Interview]

Electra looks to the place Anika indicates briefly, then back at the druid, narrowing her eyes. She might not be able to detect anything amiss about the area, but she can read people, and something's obviously bothering Anika. She puts a hand on one hip, pausing for a moment. No reason to draw her weapons yet, but having a hand close can't hurt.

"Something wrong?"
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

"Up there?" Kirk cranes his head backward to look where she's pointing. "You're kidding." He takes off his jacket and starts to undo his tie. He is not dressed for this. "Hm? More bad news for us?" He says lightly.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning]

"Not if I can help it. Although to be fair, if someone figures out how to end them permanently, it's probably not going to be me. But I will do everything that a warrior can do." He stretches. "As fun as this outing has been, I should get back to work keeping this place afloat. But do feel free to drop by one evening... when the mood strikes you."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #939

[Cultist Interview]

"Yep. Afraid so, haven't really gotten to making a path up there yet." Anika admits, and she also kinda forgot that not everyone could climb trees as well as she could.
    She then glances at Electra. "Just a feeling I can't shake off. If Shanti is here, it can't be anything good."

"What a cruel thing to say, Anika." A voice suddenly calls out, and if they turn in its direction, they can see a hooded figure coming from behind one of the burned old trees. It definitely wasn't there before, its like it teleported there or something.
    "I thought we were still on friendly terms at the very least."

As the hooded figure steps closer, they can see that like Anika, she have purple skin and enough similar facial features to mark them as of the same ethnicity, at the very least. However, her orb-like eyes are shining in silver rather than amber.
    "What are you doing here?" Anika demands with a glare as she turns around. "I'm pretty sure you were told to keep away from moonwells."

"Anika telling me to obey the orders of the elders? That's certainly a first, especially coming from someone who hasn't given a damn about druidic traditions until right about now it seems." She shakes her head, bit before Anika can reply, she continues. "I mean, I'm pretty sure a true moon well guardian wouldn't invite whatever human she has fancy over, yes?"

The druid blinks, looking completely flabbergasted. "You were listening-" She points her a accusing finger at the other woman. "That's how you knew about the well!"

"I happen to overhear yes, I was just passing by in animal form. But relax, Anika. I didn't mean to insult you. I know that we both agree that the norms are outdated, and I was just having a look around." She gestures at the well.

[Returning]

Anika smiles. "Fair enough, but if someone figures it out. You're probably the guy that is going to be leading them, ain't that right?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-07-13 at 04:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #940

NinjaGuy

[Cultist Interview]

Electra's head snaps around at the new voice, and in a blurring instant, she's drawn her weapon and has it aimed at the voice's owner. The massive handgun thrums ominously, but she doesn't fire it. Her tone is calm, but her expression behind the weapon is cautious, her eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"I assume you're Shanti? We have some questions for you, if you are."

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

"Easy, Electra. There's no need for that." Kirk says, cool as a cucumber. "I don't want to interrupt you and Anika's drama, but we'd like to have a little chat. If you don't mind." The drow casually takes a few steps closer to Shanti. "You know Dena, right? You took her for a bit of a ride not long ago."

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

[Returning]

Wenomir nods.

"I will. Whatever it takes. If we can find a way to kill their leaders permanently... it will still likely require a lot of conventional violence. If only to carve through the endless horde of their lackeys."
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-03-03 at 07:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #943

[Cultist Interview]

"I am she, yes. Shanatriel Wellwatcher at your service. But you may just call me 'Shanti'" She presents herself with a bow.
    Her eyes are then drawn to Kirk and she smiles gently. "Yes, of course I know Dena, and I realize why you're asking that. But you must understand, Kirk. We were dying back there. It was a desperate last ditch measure, something we would never have done in any other circumstance. The poor girl that channeled her was shoot so many times that no matter what punishment you think she deserved for what she did, she got it and more." Apparently she knows Kirk's name? "Still, I can apologize to you and her, in person if needed. We really meant no harm to her."

Anika is staring furiously at Shanti, but says nothing for now.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-07-13 at 09:55 AM.

14. - Top - End - #944

NinjaGuy

[Cultist Interview]

Electra doesn't lower her weapon. Kirk may think there's no need for it, but she's not about to let this one get the drop on either of them again. She started recording the encounter when she drew her weapon, and she keeps it running in case Astrana or Dena need to look at it later. There's probably going to be questions Astrana and Dena will have after seeing it, but at least they can put some kind of face on the person who managed to channel Dena's gaze.

"We're not looking for an apology. We need to know how it was done, and why you chose Dena specifically. Surely there are other gorgons you could have channeled."

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

"We also need to ensure it never happens again, out of desperation or not. It doesn't really matter what the excuse was, as far as we're concerned." Kirk adds.

Meanwhile, someone may note some movement behind one of the burned out trees off to the side of the confrontation. Someone just peeked behind the tree for a moment before ducking behind it again.

16. - Top - End - #946

[Cultist Interview]

"Simple sympathetic magic. Your Dena left behind a personal item back at one of our temples when she was raiding it. It was shortly after you and Dipsnig showed up..." Shanti gestures at Kirk, apparently not noticing the nearby movements. "No hard feelings though, I know snakes, and everything associated to them, often are connected to evil. That adventurers come over and kill some of us is just... natural." She smiles stiffly. "So that's why we picked Dena. It was simply a matter of using the sympathetic connection between her items and her, hijacking her gaze for a few moments."

Anika frowns at Shanti's claims, but doesn't say comment. She couldn't help but to notice movement at the corner of her eye though, was that a animal, or...?

[Returning]

"Yeah, I'm as ready as you are. They can just bring it on." Anika grins again. "But I'll leave you to your leader stuff, I'm going back to skyside again."

17. - Top - End - #947

NinjaGuy

[Cultist Interview]

Electra frowns, irritated at the implications of Shanti's answer. She's also noted the the movement, and shifts her vision mode to include infrared. That should give her an idea of whether the person hiding behind the tree is actually a person or an animal of some sort. Her aim on Shanti doesn't waver, though.

"And where is the item you used for this 'sympathetic magic', as you call it, now?"

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

"More to the point, you're going to tell us exactly what it is and where we can find it." Kirk says, broaching no argument. He suddenly sounds a lot less amiable. "There must be more to it than just that. Just having someone's possession shouldn't let you do all that." Kirk can't say he knows that for sure, but it seems like a lot of power to have over someone for something so simple. There ought to be more.

The being behind the tree is almost certainly a person, based on the infrared. A somewhat short person by human standards, but that's all she can tell. The person takes another small peek just around the tree. They're far enough away that it's too hard to make details out, but whoever this is, they're watching the group.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2018-03-04 at 07:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #949

[Cultist Interview]

Shanti shrugs. "Most likely in the possession of KABAL. But, admittedly, there were those who spoke in terms of revenge against MERC after you raided our temple. I dissuaded them as I know how these things tend to go, but I did hear talk about collecting additional information about Dena to strengthen the sympathetic bond for the ritual. I can't tell for sure what they did or their plans were however. See, KABAL actually attacked us when we were gathering for a council to discuss that and other matters concerning our organization. So if it makes you feel any better, whoever planned revenge is probably dead or sold into slavery now." She attempts to explain.

"Are there others of your little cult here?" Anika suddenly asks.

That question causes Shanti to freeze for a moment. "No." She claims, yet still looks around suspiciously. "Why? Did you see something?"

20. - Top - End - #950

NinjaGuy

[Cultist Interview]

Electra's tone is conversational, though her aim still doesn't waver.

"I'm not sure I believe you, seeing as how there's someone a bit short doing a bad job of spying on us just behind that tree, there. Would you like to make an introduction, or shall I?" No sense in keeping it from Shanti. Either she's telling the truth about not knowing about the little spy, or this is someone new. Someone who needs a lesson in eavesdropping.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2018-03-04 at 07:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

"Probably dead is hardly reassuring. Now how about you answer all my questions, instead of just one." The obvious dodge with the new information wasn't going to distract him quite so easily.

Although it looks like that's going to have to wait for the latest interruption. Oh well. Speaking of which, the person ducks their head behind the tree again and stands stock still. They apparently have no idea that's not going to help.

22. - Top - End - #952

[Cultist Interview]

Shanti frowns. "That's a child. A child that shouldn't be here, so I would prefer if you just kept quiet while I tell her to leave. I don't want her to get caught up in all this talk about death and slavery." Shanti then turns in the direction of the hiding person and calls out. "Nathaira! I thought I told you to stay safe!"

"...a child?" Anika asks out loud, her overly long eyebrow raised. She then leans closer to Kirk. "Last thing I'd associate her with."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-03-05 at 08:39 PM.

23. - Top - End - #953

NinjaGuy

[Cultist Interview]

Electra watches the spy as Shanti calls out. If she's telling the truth, it would make sense with how they've been acting, but she's not entirely sure this isn't a ruse. The reaction will tell her whether it is or not, but this also opens a bit of leverage to perhaps make Shanti a bit more forthcoming in her answers. She's going to hate herself for using it, though. For the moment, she stays quiet until the person watching them either runs off or does something else.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

A moment later the person steps out from around the tree timidly. Kirk curses colourfully, and it's easy to see why. The girl is very clearly a gorgon by the nest of blue and black snakes on her head. Otherwise, her purple skin and lengthy ears mark her as a night elf. She wears a simple dress and importantly a blindfold. She's certainly tall for what is definitely a young child, but then again, night elf. "I wanted to see." She complains.

25. - Top - End - #955

[Cultist Interview]

Anika prefers kaldorei.

Speaking of, the druid looks even more confused now. What was this? A kaldorei mixed with a naga?
    Shanti on the other hand approaches the child. "I told you, just wait for me." Then adding in a whisper. "These people are extremely dangerous, Nathaira. They could use you to get to me. If something happens to you..." She gives the gorgon a concerned look.

"Uh, so what am I missing here? What's with the child?" Kirk seemed to know something she didn't considering the way he was swearing.

26. - Top - End - #956

NinjaGuy

[Cultist Interview]

Electra mumbles something unintelligible under her breath, and her face takes on a stern expression.

"Both of you, over here, now." She calls loudly, crossing her arms over her chest, so her weapon is under her armpit. No sense in overly frightening the child, but she needs to understand how this girl fits into this, and they might as well hear as much of it as possible straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

Kirk turns pointedly away from the gorgon girl. "She's a gorgon. If she takes that blindfold off she's more than capable of killing all of us." He says in a low voice. He'd rather not be turned the rest of the way into stone.

"Um, I'm sorry." Nathaira wilts. Even so, she can't help to look past Shanti at the other people. "What do we do?"

28. - Top - End - #958

[Cultist Interview]

Anika gives the girl an odd look, she wasn't a fan of leaving Shanti out of her sight, and the girl did look pretty harmless, not that she doubted that the really had death eyes considering Kirk's strong reaction. But surely she'd be able to react before the blindfold came off... right? Either way, she needed to keep an eye on the little girl so she didn't do anything threatening. If the fold dropped, she'd close her eyes and shift into a snake form perhaps, their scent gave them an advantage in a blind-fight.

Meanwhile, Shanti gently pets the girls hair. "Nothing, don't worry Nathaira. I will talk to them." She smiles at the gorgon and then positions herself between Electra and her. "What is it you want? I already said I'm willing to answer all your questions. There is no need to involve her in all this. Just tell me what information you want and give it to you, I have nothing to gain and everything to lose by lying to you."

29. - Top - End - #959

NinjaGuy

[Cultist Interview]

Electra raises an eyebrow. An interesting reaction from Shanti. One that was in her consideration as a possibility, but perhaps this can be resolved without resorting to using the kid as leverage. At least, not in a way that will make her need to drink to sleep well for awhile.

"So is Dena, but I get the impression Shanti would rather not use her as any sort of a weapon. And if she wanted to kill us, she could have done so before, when we first noticed her." Electra doesn't smile, but a hint of amusement creeps into her eyes. Her voice, however, doesn't waver from its stern tone.

"See, I want to know how she fits into this," Electra says, nodding at Nathaira. "And how deeply involved she is. Clearly you care about her, since you managed to keep her out of KABAL's hands, which is good. I'm not fond of discussing these unpleasant matters in front of her, either, but here she is, and here you are. You weren't playing straight with us before, or you'd have answered all of Kirk's questions, not just the one. I suspect my impression of you not wanting to use Nathaira here as a weapon played into why your group chose Dena, right? The others probably didn't know your reasoning, but I was with Dena when they triggered the spell. Part of the ritual meant that she saw what was happening with her own eyes, even though she wasn't there. You were trying to spare Nathaira that, weren't you?" A smile, a gentle one, plays at her lips, and her tone softens. "How closely related are you two?"

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cultist Interview]

Kirk doesn't seem all that reassured, but then again, why would he? He lets Electra take the lead for now. No god damn way is he looking directly their way.

Nathaira grabs the back of Shanti's clothes and stays behind her. She leans to the side a bit. Just the side of her head is visible, but all the visible snakes are looking right at them. "I don't even know what you're talking about. How about you leave us alone." She says, more boldly than she looks.