New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC: The Dragonshard War [Eberron] [4E] [Paragon] #1

Spoiler: Lee
    Show
    Lee knows that the town is quaint and out of the war. If not for the last war and the many battles fought nearby, few would remember such an out of the way town. House Orien passed over to town in its initial construction of the Lightning Rail, in favor of making a more direct connection with Cyre. The importance of Vulyar has increased since the end of the last war and the independence of the Mror Holds. Prior to the war, House Orien had constructed a line connecting the town with the (now) capital of the Holds -Krona Peak. Eventually the House wishes to connect Vulyar to the main line running through Karrnath. Many believed the sensible solution would be to directly connect Vulyar to Vedykar but the King's court has been leveraging much of its political will to see the line connect to Ft. Bones in the south and then west to Ft. Zombie. The thought behind this is that it would shore up the south-eastern border of the Kingdom, allowing for quick and efficient lines of communication and supply across the whole border.

The Mages Guild in Vulyar is probably the largest magical group this close to the barren lands of the Halflings, and thus is often used as a last stop for supplies for adventurers and travelers looking to ride through the Plains.

The halfling woman nods, "I will keep him at the hospital. I will send word to you once he is well enough to wake. I presume you will be staying at The Singing Serpent? It is the largest and most popular inn in town. The rates are fair and the beer dark. I suggest the spicy mutton, if you get a chance. It is quite delicious." Idari then marches into town, breaking off from the party soon after entering the gate. The town is pleasant and nice. Nothing to write home about. Many halflings meander about, which makes sense given Vulyar's proximity to the Plains. Many of the Halflings are wearing armor and walk around town with clawfoot raptors in tow. Karrn soldiers, too, strolling around. The normal denizens of the township seem to be on edge. Every loud sound or clawfoot's screech makes them jump. In the town's square, there is a fountain that has had its statuary debased and broken off. Perhaps it was damaged in the war? Curiously, there is no water in the fountain, it is entirely dry.

Spoiler: Anyone with Religion as a trained skill
    Show
    You recognize what is left of the statuary as belonging to the Blood of Vol, a dark and mysterious cult that once played a large part in the history of Karrnath. It was officially outlawed by the King, its temples and monuments were destroyed.

Spoiler: Where do you want to go?
    Show
    The world is your oyster!

You can go straight to your mark, go to the Mages Guild, the Hospital, the Singing Serpent, another tavern, the local marketplace, anywhere!

You do notice the Halflings seem to be congregating around a Halfling-sized tavern in the outskirts of town called the Big Tooth.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-05-25 at 02:23 AM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Lee

Lee murmurs to Caimhe as the party enters the heavier traffic, "Your informational scouting could be very valuable now. Do you wish support? -- or would you be safer and/or more effective alone?" She doesn't seem like ideal backup herself. Even setting aside her obvious differences in look, she too is a little unnerved hearing the clawfoot cries.

Near the dry fountain, the warforged pauses to feel out the crowd in her own way, searching for oddities with her mind's eye. While Lee is thus distracted, her terracotta shard pops out and starts zipping around. It has no eyes or ears but seems to be exploring -- checking out the fountain, flying up for a bird's-eye view, approaching a clawfoot and humming to the drake's rider.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Just for curiosity's sake, Imma use the power arcane senses. How many fey, how many shadow creatures and how many elementals are within (d20+20)[27] squares?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gerard

Thank you Idari, that should do then. Send word for me at the Singing Serpent when he is better.

Once the halfling is out of earshot, Gerard confers quietly with the group, Let's secure a couple of rooms at the Singing Serpent and use the whisper stones to inform the Ambassador about this messenger and the attack. I wonder what her take will be on it. An alliance with Qbarra puts Karrnath in a stronger position, which works against the Ambassador's efforts. But if Valenar thinks Qbarra has joined forces with the Karrns and the Halflings, they'll see an alliance with Thrane more favorably. At any rate, I think we should wait to hear back from her before we meet with our mark.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I forget who has the whisper stone. If I have it Fel, then assume I send a message out to the Ambassador (I can't remember any of the NPC names . But I don't think I have it. I vote for getting some rooms and waiting to hear back before we meet with the elf lady.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Koebu

Koebu pats the bag that he carries the stones in. "That sounds like a sound plan. I will accompany you. Unless you'd like my assistance, Caimhe. With the large halfling population here it might help to have someone like me along. Though I warn you that I'm not much for getting along in groups. I tend to stand isolated even amongst my own. You've probably noticed." Koebu looks down at his feet which shuffle awkwardly from side to side.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    You sense a about a dozen fey and a handful of elementals. Most seem to be congregating at the nearby Lightning Rail Station.

Spoiler: Gerard
    Show
    The Ambassador only replies with the word, "Interesting." to the news. Then continues to say that you should continue on your mission and to report backs ASAP.

Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    So... To the Halflings? To the inn? To your mark?
    DMing:

6. - Top - End - #216

Gerard

Gerard hands the whisper stone back to Koebu, Well, that didn't offer too much insight. We'll see how the negotiations play out and go from there.

I'll secure rooms and wait around in case Idari comes looking for me there. Meet me at the Singing Serpent when you're finished out here.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Caimhe has a quiet smile towards the rest of the group, looking to Koebu and Lee. "If you'd both like to come with me and survey the town, then I'd welcome the company. You do know how I can double up in pain, it might be a good thing to have support..."

She nods at Gerard and says, "Thank you. We'll be back with results, I'm sure." She beckons to the other two and sets off towards the streets, taking a deep, puffed breath. "Right, then... let us inquire about the halflings and our mark, both?"

The white-haired woman works rather deftly, able to weave in and out about crowds, butter people up and inquire about what she wants to, it would seem -- a loose coin here, a purchased drink there, a flattering compliment thereabouts...

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Let's do some Streetwise! Sorry for the delay. (1d20+16)[32]

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Koebu

Koebu nods at Caimhe's request. With one hand he tucks the stone Gerard had returned to him back into the bag, while the other waves to the party who was not going along. "See you at the Singing Serpent then."

While Caimhe seems to naturally take to the streets almost as soon as they take off in search for information, but Koebu's presence doesn't seem to help much at first. However as she starts questioning some of the local halflings, Koebu notices that a few of them are reluctant to talk to a big person. He whispers a request to the spirits, and listens as they whisper back to him how to handle the situation. He tries to act as a go-between to soothe any racial tensions that may exist.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll attempt to aid gaining info about what's going on with the halflings. Since Koebu is not good at this sort of thing, I'll use my encounter power Speak with Spirits if possible to gain a +5. This aid assumes that was used. Aid with Streetwise - (1d20+9)[15]

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Caimhe
    Show
    You hear that the Halflings are all from northern Talenta. They are congregating here to more fully co-ordinate with the Karrn military in case of a war. You hear that there are several war bands forming out in the plains, many numbering over a hundred warriors.

As for the inn, you hear that it is quite lonely. Local humans tend to avoid the tavern, as it only serves elven, dwarven and halfling food and drink. Many halflings from the plains go out of their way to come to the tavern to enjoy some well-cooked food. Dwarves from the Holds also visit when traveling through Karrnath. The proprietress often holds parties for elves, who travel all the way from Valenar to come to the tavern. You hear that the Karrn military is often on edge when these meetings take place, always fearful of subterfuge or an outright attack.

The Singing Serpent is built in a dwarven style, with a thick, ornately carved stone facade. Several half-drunken halfling warriors stumble out of the tavern. On the porch, sit three dwarven merchants in rocking chairs. They dip on dark ale while smoking pipes. They speak in their native tongue.

Spoiler: Those who speak Dwarven
    Show
    They are discussing how much money they have already made selling goods to the Karrn military. How they will become rich men if the war actually happens.

Inside the Singing Serpent, the party finds three long, 30-foot tables, each designed for a different race. The first is halfling sized, with tiny chairs and a short table. The second is for elves, with delicate chairs. The third is for dwarves, complete with wide bottomed, medium height chairs. The halfling table is almost full, the elven one has but one customer, the dwarven table is about a quarter full. Behind the long table is the bar, where a beautiful, middle-aged elf in a flowing green gown is cleaning some glasses. Off to the right of the long tables and bar are ten circular tables with seats designed for a mix of races. Beyond the circular tables, along the far wall, are several booths with privacy curtains.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-06-08 at 04:53 PM.
    DMing:

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Lee

Lee approaches the apparent tender straightaway. "I would--" She pauses and tilts her head, responding to some internal prompt, then continues with an appreciative tone: "You are especially beautiful! May I purchase two containers of ale, please? In a bowl, if you can spare it." Her emotionally neutral lilt seems to fit the social introduction and the mercantile followup each half-way.

The warforged takes her purchased drink to one of the 'mixed' tables and lets her shard flitter in it. The resemblance to a sparrow in a birdbath is surprisingly strong. Lee repeatedly magicks away the ale splashed on the table until the shard settles down for a soak. She glances over to Gerard and comments with faint guilt, "I stand out like a sore thumb regardless. There's no harm in letting someone enjoy it."

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #221

Gerard

Gerard shakes his head at Lee, Between you and... that thing flitting around, and Caimhe turning into a wolf in front of people, we attract a lot of unwanted attention. We should be more cautious. What is that thing anyway? he asks, gesturing at the strange shard in the bowl. You know what? You can tell me after we switch tables. Lets grab one of the booths with a curtain. I'll arrange for some rooms and meet you there, he says, pointing at a privacy booth.

Gerard walks over to the elf at the bar, Hello, we're looking to book lodging for the night. Maybe a night or two longer. There's five of us, and a 'forged.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Lee

The warforged nods and accepts Gerard's direction. "Perhaps there is some way we can make the attention wanted instead. I confess I do not yet see that opportunity." When the arrangements are secured, she explains in brief, "Consider it like a wizard's familiar ... one with little sense of the brouhaha it can cause. A dedicated but self-willed creature, tied to me in spirit. Beyond that, I honestly know little more; the shard is anomalous."

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

The elf woman is taken aback by the warforged's words in comparison to her voice. "I-I suppose..." She pours two containers full of the most expensive ale." Some of the elves take not of Lee and watch the warfordged and his shard with bemused smiles.

The elf at the bar nods to Gerard, finding it hard to pull away from the oddity at the table. "We have five rooms available. They are the most expensive though. Come with three meals and a three drink cover."
    DMing:

14. - Top - End - #224

Gerard

Perhaps there is some way we can make the attention wanted instead. I confess I do not yet see that opportunity. Gerard looks around and over his shoulder, Yeah, that's because we don't want the attention Lee. Our job is rather sensitive. Better that no one comes around asking questions.

The elf at the bar nods to Gerard, finding it hard to pull away from the oddity at the table. "We have five rooms available. They are the most expensive though. Come with three meals and a three drink cover."

No common rooms huh? What will the five rooms cost us?

-------------------------

When the arrangements are secured, Lee explains in brief, "Consider it like a wizard's familiar ... one with little sense of the brouhaha it can cause. A dedicated but self-willed creature, tied to me in spirit. Beyond that, I honestly know little more; the shard is anomalous." Gerard looks at Lee with some confusion on his face. He'd never met a warforged that spoke the way Lee does, or that had a familiar. You're a strange 'forged Lee.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Lee

Lee nods, and for a moment it seems like she considers that to be enough of a response. But in a quiet tone, she shares a portion of her story. "Only a small number of my type were commissioned, and fewer still survived. Sabotage ruined much of the work. I was spared that destruction, but the sabotage warped me from what the House had intended. NVKE8X-Misinfused-Lee is as anamolous as her shard. ... I worry that my difference from 'the norm' reduces my value; and I recognize that my worrying at all makes the difference larger still." She falls silent as if lost in thought.

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

A delicate looking, middle-aged elven woman wearing an over-sized red robe stumbles into the inn. She surveys the room, spots the party and immediately shuffles over, practically tripping over a few halflings.

She sits down at your table brushes her straw-colored hair behind her pointed ears, pulls out a pair of reading glasses and says, "Hello. My name is Jiasheae Yanledel. I believe you are here to see me." Her voice is confident yet detached, like a lawyer simply stating the facts of a case.
    DMing:

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

At about this point, Caimhe has padded back to the inn -- she's looking just a little more haggard than usual, perhaps from the accumulated pain from being in her human form. She persists, though, spotting the group to take a seat. "My! Hello there. Caimhe d'Tharashk, of the eponymous House. It is a pleasure to make her acquaintance."

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

The elven woman nods dispassionately, "Indeed." She repositions her glasses farther up her nose. "Pleasantries aside. I am told you have an offer for me..."
    DMing:

19. - Top - End - #229

Gerrard

Gerrard looks puzzled that Jiasheae Yanledel had known they arrived, where they were, and came to them first. But her curt manner dispels the short-lived bewilderment.

Right... we are discussing matters of the state. I don't think this is an appropriate setting, he says, pointing to the simple curtain dividing their conversation from everyone else in the room. Why don't we reconvene shortly at a secure place of your choosing, where our discussions will be less easily overheard by others? Now that they've met Jiasheae and have an idea of her disposition, the group can come to the negotiations a little better prepared if Gerard can stall the talks until later.

Spoiler: Gerard is not really persuasive...
    Show
    Diplomacy - (1d20+4)[16]

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Lee

The warforged observes the interaction with detached curiosity. The woman Yanledel seems very well-informed, and at the same time surprisingly incautious for someone helping to adjust the fate of nations.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    In a world with changelings, it doesn't hurt to double-check identities ... Insight regarding Yanledel? If you don't roll them yourself, Lee gets (d20+14)[24] and her docent provides backup with (d20+13)[22].

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, already?" Caimhe tilts her head with a rather easy-going smile, gesturing towards the nearest waitress. "Here I'd just come back in from the weather outside, and I was hoping we could speak about pleasantries for a moment or two."

If she was put off by Jiasheae's abrupt demeanor, she didn't show it. She was keeping her own disarmingly casual expression up.

"What do you say to a bottle of this inn's finest wine? It's on me."

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+15)[35] Let's see if we can't break through that icy demeanor a little!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Jiasheae shakes her head at Gerard, "I own this Tavern. It is safe. Half the people here are in my employ." Turning to the Caimhe, the woman snaps her fingers. An elven barmaid walks up with a really old bottle of wine. "This is from my personal reserve. Fairhaven Blue Wine, vintage 767. I am told it is very... Potent. The vineyards that used to grow the grapes were burned down and bombed during the war. After rebuilding, the taste was never the same.

The barmaid places a glass next to each party member and pours a bit less than two fingers in each glass.

"Now, your proposal. What is it?" her tone is demanding and authoritiative. She means buisiness.

Show
    She seems off. Like she is not comfortable in her own skin.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-06-23 at 04:13 PM.
    DMing:

23. - Top - End - #233

Gerard

With all due respect, I don't think the ambassador has any interest in the tavern knowing our business, even those among us under your employ. Surely you can appreciate the sensitive nature of our affairs? Gerard asks. He scrutinizes the elf. Had she meant to test them, he can understand. But as she insists on beginning the talk, his suspicions rise.

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show
    EDIT: I forgot to mention to take the highest of each roll.

Active insight to determine if she is deceiving them.
    Insight - (1d20+14)[22]
    Insight - (1d20+14)[19]

Active perception to notice a disguise, or something about her out of place.
    Perception - (1d20+14)[31]
    Perception - (1d20+14)[28]
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2017-06-24 at 10:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

"You presume we will speak of the deal. I assumed we would have it in writing. We are not savages, after all," she says derisively, obviously displaced with the way the party is conducting themselves.

Spoiler: Gerard
    Show
    You definitely get the feeling she might be trying to deceive you.

You notice she is breathing a touch too fast, like she is nervous and is trying to suppress it.
    DMing:

25. - Top - End - #235

Gerard

There is no need to risk having the details stolen en route. My group and I are a formidable team for anyone to try and interfere in the negotiations, he says, a veiled warning to Jiasheae, but these are dangerous times, and precautions should always be taken. For now, we'll discuss details, and if we come to an agreement, it will be formalized in writing.

I'm as eager to get started as you are Jiasheae, but even if I cannot convince you to change venues, I must insist that we wait for the rest of our party. The Ambassador hand-picked each one of us to be here to make this alliance happen. Gerard leans over and whispers to Lee and Caimhe,Something is off about her. I don't trust her. We were supposed to meet her at Strong Magus' Inn. One of you should head there and see if we're being played. Pretend you're going to fetch Muricia and Takashtai, and if you see them on your way, send them over here immediately.

He turns his gaze back on Jiasheae, intent on her reaction to one of them leaving the table, It shouldn't be much longer now.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Koebu

Koebu had entered the tavern shortly behind Caimhe. He paused just inside the door, taking in the lay of the place instead of following her over to the table immediately. After a few moments, he walked to the bar and ordered a drink, nothing fancy, just something to quench his thirst. After being handed a mug he wandered over past the halfling table, as if he'd looked for a seat there and found none to his liking at the crowded long table. Then he moved past them and on up to the circular tables. He paused at the one closest to the party's booth and tried to observe the proceedings from there, hoping he could see enough of what was going on without necessarily being associated with the others in case there was something funny afoot.

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'll try an insight check too. (1d20+15)[35]

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Lee

The warforged stands up after listening to Gerard's whisper. "I will go to prompt our colleagues. Perhaps you can hold our host's interest with a tale of martial derring-do."

Approaching and passing Koebu, Lee sees doubt in his face, and she tries to show her agreement subtly with a slow nod.

Current games list

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

The woman looks viably annoyed. She taps her foot on the floor. "If we must. Please do hurry. Time is of the essence."

Spoiler: Koebu
    Show
    You try to evesdrop but you cannot hear... Anything from the table that the party is at. Complete silence. People are obviously talking but you cannot hear any of it.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-06-27 at 01:09 AM.
    DMing:

29. - Top - End - #239

Gerard

Gerard narrows his eyes, Jiasheae, let me remind you that I am a Sentinel Marshal of House Deneith, and I don't like being lied to. I understand things are moving quickly, but you seem distressed above and beyond these negotiations. I don't think you're being completely truthful, something appears to have you on edge. I want to reestablish trust here before the rest of the group arrives and we attempt to negotiate an alliance. So, let's start again, with the truth. What has you so nervous? Why did you not wait for us to go meet you?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Jiasheae reaches into her pouch and grabs a shimmering black sling bullet. She chucks it at Gerard as she bitterly complains, "It was a boring conversation anyway!" As soon as the bullet smack the Knight, the entire area around him goes pitch black. Blacker than even the darkest night. Darker even then a lonely, hidden cave... The bystanders panic. They scream and shout, completely flummoxed, enraged and frightened by the sudden darkness!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The Doc has been updated with the battle map. Party goes first.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-06-27 at 09:05 PM.
    DMing: