New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default A.I. Companion/Gunship?

I'm creating a 3E M&M PL10 character. He's an alien police officer assigned to protect Earth, who has an A.I. companion who functions as an assistant and pilot for his spaceship. Now I'll be taking ranks in the Sidekick advantage, but I've been a bit troubled with figuring out how exactly to stat it out.

I was thinking I would just create the gunship and the A.I. as one character, with the ship being the "body" and the A.I. being the "mind". As for the A.I., I'm going for a sort of "dumb A.I." in terms of not being self-aware, but still being able to think and solve problems, to an extent. Think like Mass Effect dumb A.I. for reference. I'm not sure, however, how I'd stat that out, so any help would be appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: A.I. Companion/Gunship?

Tricky. Not something I've done myself or seen done. The "vehicle-as-sidekick" trope itself is cool (I loved Knightrider as a kid), but I'm not sure in M&M what the best way to do it is.

How about building the vehicle using the Vehicle Rules, and the AI using Sidekick rules. Make the AI like a robot or construct, and take always-on Innate Insubstantial 4 to represent not having a body and being hard to affect (except by electrical or some other specific attack). The AI being part of the ship can be fluff rather than crunch.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say stat the ship out as a sidekick and just give it a low Int score. Or maaaaybe even an entirely absent Int, if you want to to be unable to do much beyond follow orders. Feature ~2 ("Large Internal Compartment") and a good Strength ought to do the trick for having it carry you/others. If you want to be able to assume control of weapon systems and so on yourself, you could perhaps slap on Affects Also Others, Limited to those in cockpit? (Or maybe better, have an Affects Only Others version of the power as an alternate effect).
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2017-03-04 at 05:26 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumb typing this, so it's going to be very brief...

Stat out the mental stat's and skills. (M&M will let you stat out characters with no physical form)
    Take the "Possession" power.

Build the ship for your A.I. to "possess".
    Build a remote "drone" for your A.I. to "Possess" if you want it to be able to help out on the ground.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Buy a ship equipment, buy a limbless, immobile, corporeal, or whatever robotic AI with high piloting, gunnery, or whatever skill you need it to operate the ship, and give it wireless communication power? Make sure the ship can be controlled wirelessly of course. Have the sidekick basically be the ship's "core." This also give you the advantage of, if the ship is destroyed but the core is intact, you can move it to a different compatible ship.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Just add the feature "Artificial Intelligence" to the ship for 1PP. Most advanced ships have an auto-pilot feature. This one has a talking auto-pilot. It doesn't require any special effect because it doesn't do anything exceptional other than communicate.
    The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkSpray View Post
    Just add the feature "Artificial Intelligence" to the ship for 1PP. Most advanced ships have an auto-pilot feature. This one has a talking auto-pilot. It doesn't require any special effect because it doesn't do anything exceptional other than communicate.
    That's actually a good way to have it work. The big question for your space captain (pirate?) what does the AI actually do? Then pick approrpriate effects.

If its EDI from Mass Effect rather than the USS Enterprise's computer then you need sidekick. If the AI is just a fancy way of accessing the computer and ship functions a 1 point feature is more than sufficient.