New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Civ VI: My poor eyes

So, I recently picked up Civ Vi. Not overly sure what to think of it, considering the UI is so tiny. After trying out the game, I've found I can only play for maybe 45 minutes before I need to stop. I'm playing on a Surface Book at 3000x2000 and I can barely read anything on the screen. After doing some initial Google Fu, I found the file for the fonts, but even increasing all the font sizes to at least 22 didn't do much other than make all the text no longer fit in the boxes.

Does anyone know of a mod that makes the UI scale with resolution or am I doomed to strained eyes if I want to keep playing?
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Civ VI: My poor eyes

If I remember correctly there is also a ui scaling option hidden in the game main menu options that may help a bit but i dont think it makes a massive difference it might help
    Last edited by Gurston; 2018-01-25 at 07:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Layman question: Why not run it at 1920x1080 or something similar?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RayGallade View Post
    I'm playing on a Surface Book at 3000x2000
    I'm not super up-to-date on the latest technology, but this seems like way too high of a resolution to be running on the small screen of a tablet/laptop. Google tells me that the Surface Book has a 13.5" screen. That resolution on that screen is, frankly, crazy. I am not surprised at all that you're having trouble reading on it.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I'm not super up-to-date on the latest technology, but this seems like way too high of a resolution to be running on the small screen of a tablet/laptop. Google tells me that the Surface Book has a 13.5" screen. That resolution on that screen is, frankly, crazy. I am not surprised at all that you're having trouble reading on it.
    This 100x times. I play Civ 6 on my 23 inch screen in Full HD resolution (1920x1080) and have no isuess with reading the texts. Change your resolution to 1080p or even 720p and see if it's any better. I'm not aware of any font mods at the moment, but knowing the CIV community there's already a mod released or at least being developed.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gurston View Post
    If I remember correctly there is also a ui scaling option hidden in the game main menu options that may help a bit but i dont think it makes a massive difference it might help
    I did some poking around and was able to find it. I can actually read the text with it set to 200% scale.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by clarke.sarah72@ View Post
    This 100x times. I play Civ 6 on my 23 inch screen in Full HD resolution (1920x1080) and have no isuess with reading the texts. Change your resolution to 1080p or even 720p and see if it's any better. I'm not aware of any font mods at the moment, but knowing the CIV community there's already a mod released or at least being developed.
    Absolutely this, I've been playing Civ VI for the last few weeks(been getting my butt kicked, haven't played in a very long time, and haven't played since IV), and on my 24 inch screen I use 1920x1080 and I've had zero issues reading font.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Layman question: Why not run it at 1920x1080 or something similar?
    LCD screens look absolutely awful if you don't run them at a reasonable multiple of their specified resolution. So, if the native resolution of his screen is 3000x2000, it would work to run the game at 1500x1000--if it actually lets you *do* that--but 1920x1080 would be terrible. (And the wrong aspect ratio too).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    LCD screens look absolutely awful if you don't run them at a reasonable multiple of their specified resolution. So, if the native resolution of his screen is 3000x2000, it would work to run the game at 1500x1000--if it actually lets you *do* that--but 1920x1080 would be terrible. (And the wrong aspect ratio too).
    This. While I love to use my Surface Book, its native resolution makes gaming on it rather, interesting. So few games have options for a 3:2 aspect ratio, which means I've had to mess around and try different settings out.