New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Proper order to watch the Star Wars movies?

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Star Wars universe, by the time of the movies, does NOT have any form of galaxy span media, no form of camera recording that is available to the public; and certainly not anywhere except for surveillance purposes. It does not have Internet in the way we know it either.
    They had all of these. It was called the Holonet.

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    For all its technology, and taking into account the massive scale of the Galaxy as presented (which has far more inhabitable planets and moons than our galaxy, afik), Star Wars setting is a medieval setting when it's about media and spread of information.
    The HoloNet was also how they managed instantaneous, galaxy-wide communications, which is one helluva feat. Hell, even light-speed communication was world-changing for us, but I'd call the Star Wars media and information network far from medieval.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Machete Order tells objectively the best story, and anyone who says otherwise is just blinded by the Dark Side.

Skip Episode 1. Maybe throw in Rogue One after the main series (I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if it's any good, but I do know it's an entirely separate story). Episode 7 isn't worth watching on its own, so skip it until we find out if 8 and 9 are worth watching.
    Its good. And it explains a lot about the opening of Ep IV, specifically why Vader is so angry at Leia and is trying to literally tear her ship apart, above and beyond the fact that he's a Sith Lord.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Its good. And it explains a lot about the opening of Ep IV, specifically why Vader is so angry at Leia and is trying to literally tear her ship apart, above and beyond the fact that he's a Sith Lord.
    And here I was thinking the opening crawl, soldiers firing at the military, and Leia trying to shield herself via diplomatic immunity explained why Vader was so angry at Leia and was trying to literally tear her ship apart.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

HalflingRogueGuy

I watched it in the production order and wasn't confused. The films were made in different times, so it was ok to start watching from the old one to the latest one. Also it gives the possibility to realize how the special effects have been developed for these years.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    This is why I think it's a bad idea, because it's trying to create some kind of deep and meaningful story where there simply isn't one. Star Wars movies, even the good ones, were never ambitious or deep with their plot.

Fun should be the #1 priority when watching them. After all, who cares if the story is "good" if watching it makes you miserable?
    There's an argument that at least on an artistic level, Lucas was telling a deep and meaningful story loaded with myth and imagery. If you're interested in that sort of thing, here's a link to get you started:

http://www.starwars.com/news/paralle...than-you-think

(For the record, I think the Prequels were disasters *as Star Wars films* or even as SF-adventure films. Artistically, there may have been more going on.)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    There's an argument that at least on an artistic level, Lucas was telling a deep and meaningful story loaded with myth and imagery. If you're interested in that sort of thing, here's a link to get you started:

http://www.starwars.com/news/paralle...than-you-think

(For the record, I think the Prequels were disasters *as Star Wars films* or even as SF-adventure films. Artistically, there may have been more going on.)
    It's unquestionable that Lucas envisioned a deep and meaningful story loaded with myth and imagery. Even the prequel-bashing and quote-mining of RedLetterMedia offers enough of Lucas to demonstrate that.

His success in bringing that vision to the screen was...highly variable. Honestly, I'm reminded of any number of novice writers I've seen online who care more about how the symbolism in their work fits together than about the story itself.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2017-03-28 at 05:34 PM.