New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Megadungeon D (IC) II

Julius

Julius looks at Meera incredulously as if trying not to laugh. Then he looks at the rest of the group before looking back at Meera.

"Worked for all my last girlfriends... Course' none of them was as smart as you, sister. Or as beautiful."
    Julius's face dropped the smile and took a serious look at the rest of the group, "We are here as mediators and we're professionals. It's not a lie, we are what the bounty needs us to be to get paid. Today we're mediators. Yesterday we were a delivery service. Tomorrow we may be guards or assassins or soldiers. If whatever we are today isn't your strong point, find a way to be useful." Julius's gaze returns to Meera, "Even if being useful means staying out of sight while the mediators talk to the whalers.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Steve's Haunt

The Whaling Guild is the largest building in town (larger even than the Viscount's mansion, which is relatively modest as mansions go), decorated inside and out with a variety of whale bones, a big ol' whale skull over the door, easy to find.

In non-Hafgufan garb, the party troops inside!

Within is a meeting area with a small bar in one corner, full of (mostly mongrelfolk, a few human) whalers. Fuller than it usually is, one gathers -- many whalers are nervous to go out on the seas with the tritons attacking whaling vessels. Some of the whalers go a little quiet when they notice the newcomers.

The party asks around for somebody who might be in a leader-like rôle for the Guild, and they're pointed to the Guildmaster, a grizzle-bearded old sea captain who's deep in discussion with several other captains.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Julius

When no one responds to Julius he motions to start heading towards the Whaler's Guild.

Inside the Whaler's guild they are pointed to the Guildmaster. Julius approaches with the group and stands there within hearing distance, waiting for the guildmaster to turn his attention to the group. He isn't going to rudely interrupt, but while they are talking Julius will gladly listen to what they are discussing.
    Camel's Handbook

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Xander

Xander approached the bar and ordered a drink. He looked around the room and pondered if anything in here would be immediately offensive to the Tritons.

Spoiler
    Show
    not sure of the knowledge check here, take 10 for 17 or 18, depending...
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Vasillia

Vasillia orders a drink with Xander and then mingles with the whalers to see if she can learn anything new about the situation with the tritons

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    gather Information - (1d20)[8]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Meera

Meera listens quietly to the conversations of the sea captains with the guildmaster.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

yuk Re: Megadungeon D (IC) II

Steve's Haunt Whaling Guild

Xander and Vasillia head to the small bar and order drinks.

Xander surveys the room, and takes note of many whale bones and baleens used as decoration, probably with insufficient respect for the animals involved, which might bother a sufficiently devout triton.

Vasillia chats with some of the whalers. A particularly grizzled half-elf is musing about how his elven pappy -- apparently also a whaler, who whaled on a ship sailing out of the Disreputable City, during the Inundation, before the Subsidence -- would always go on about how much easier life was before the War for Hell (a war some 400 years ago between Tritons and Devils on the Hellish Plane of Water, which led to the exile of the Tritons to the Material Plane), how tritons are so much more belligerent than merfolk, and so on and so forth. As the happenings of four centuries ago is unlikely to be very relevant to the recent surge in violence, Vasillia moves on, only to discover that none of the other whalers know much of anything more relevant.

However, Vasillia does discover that many of the whalers are more or less devout Hafgufans, so if it is a religious conflict, it's mystifying to the whalers, who believe they're doing all the necessary rites and sacrifices correctly. Sectarianism!

Meera and Julius head to the Guildmaster's vicinity and listen to his discussion. He seems to be talking about how he keeps petitioning the Viscount for more soldiers, and the Viscount keeps petitioning the Crown, and nothing is getting done and the tritons are just getting more belligerent.

Eventually, the Guildmaster notices Meera and Julius waiting patiently for his attention, and he squints at them, then grunts, "Avast, newcomers. What's your deal?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jeffery

Jeffery, who had been silently following Julius since the bar, hears his opportunity to make a contribution (or potentially step in it, as the case may be). Moving to stand beside Julius, he speaks.

"Greetings, oh great captain of the sea, oh hunter of whales." he says, bowing slightly. "We have come concerning your need for mediation with the Tritons."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

The Guildmaster continues to squint, then nods, "Ah, okay, good. Good, good. Maybe you can talk some sense into them before something bad happens."

And as just as he speaks, something bad happens! Yelling and screaming and the tooting of a warhorn from outside!

"Hold that thought." The Guildmaster, several of his companions, and probably the party go to the grimy windows and the door to look out upon the town, where mostly they see lots of people running around like chickens with their heads cut off, except headless chickens don't yell and scream like that.

A crossbow bolt takes a fleeing mongrelwoman merchant in the back, and she collapses!

By the time the party has gotten out the door to investigate, most of the fleeing civilians have either fallen or successfully fled. Guards may be on the way, but there's no telling how long they'll take to get here.

From the direction of the docks to the west: several tritons, with silvery skin and silver-blue scales and deep blue and blue-green hair, two of them riding on large lion-like sea monsters! The tritons wield tridents and heavy crossbows, the sea cats have nasty sharp teeth and claws.

Spoiler: Images
    Show
    eight of

of whom two are riding

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    In combat in this game, you may all post in any order. I will resolve the round once everyone has posted (or 48 hours from this post -- anyone who hasn't posted will delay until the beginning of the next round), adjudicating actions in initiative order.

A reminder that the dice roll thread is open to you for e.g. rolling maneuvers granted, but you can also roll in this thread for any dice you need to roll.

In this case, initiative order will be: Xander, Vassilia, tritons #1-3, Julius, triton #4, Jeffery, the two tritons riding sea cats #7-8, Meera, tritons #5-6.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Code:
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈#     #..#       #..#,,,,,,,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈#     #..#       #..#,Guild,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈#     #..#       #..+,,Hall,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈#     #.*##+#╪#+##..#,,,,,,,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈##+#╪##.............#MG,,,,,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈5...................|VX,,,,,
    ≈-----.........4..........#B,,,,,,
    ≈-----77..2........*......###+####
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈77..........................
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈........1..............*....
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈....88......................
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈..3.88......*......*........
    ≈-----...###+###╪####............*
    ≈-----...#          #.............
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈..6#          +..##+###╪##..
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈...#          #..#       #..
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈...+          #..#       #..
    ≈-----...#          #..+       +..
    ≈-----...#          #..#       #..
    . = street
    , = building interior
    # = building
    ╪ = closed door
    | = open door
    + = window
    - = docks
    ≈ = ocean
    * = bodies

G = Jeffery
    M = Meera
    B = Julius
    X = Xander
    V = Vassilia
    1-6 = tritons
    77, 88 = tritons riding sea cat
    Last edited by Malimar; 2017-04-23 at 12:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Xander

Thoughts of diplomacy fled Xander's mind as he witnessed the woman shot in the back fall to the ground.

He reached for his crossbow, but then remembered the spirit, the offer he'd accepted. Corrupting power rose within him, and he stretched his arm out towards the nearest triton, unleashing a bolt of sickly purple magic towards it.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack: (1d20+2)[6] ranged touch vs triton 4
    Damage: (1d6)[2] on hit make D.C. 15 fort save or be sickened.

Knowledge (planes?) check tritons: (1d20+7)[10]
    Knowledge (planes?) check sea cat things: (1d20+7)[22]
    Looking for any tidbits of information which will aid us in driving them off.

He then pushed his way out the door and into the alley to the north.

Spoiler
    Show
    move 4 west and 3 north.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2017-04-24 at 12:07 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #101

Kobold

Vasillia

"So much for negotiations" Vasillia tell Julius as she draws her greatsword and follows Xander into the alley

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Vasillia moves 3 to the west and 2 to the north and readies an action to attack any tritons that get in range.
    If Vasillia or any allies within 30 ft are attacked Vasillia will activate Protection Devotion to give everyone within the range +2 sacred bonus to AC.
    attack - (1d20+6)[10] damage - (2d6+4)[16]

12. - Top - End - #102

Jeffery

"Well isn't this a pretty pickle..." he says, vocalizing this thoughts.

Jeffery pulls out his shortbow and notches an arrow, surveying the situation as best he can.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge:Nature? (d20+6)[8]
    Knowledge:Arcana(just incase) (d20+6)[24]

Listend20+4[/roll]

Perform (Sing) (d20+7)[16]

He then begins to sing a quick paced tune that makes everyone feel slightly uplifted, and more focused, even though the words are strangely not that comforting.

Spoiler: Lyrics
    Show

Crying out.
    Now you can’t escape you are buried in doubt
    And it pulls you down
    Now you’re in too deep you may never get out
    Such an awful place

Tear it down
    It’s almost too late is the end coming now
    As you scream out loud
    You sever the peace til your truth has been found

Is there nothing left to follow?
    Is there nothing left to steal?
    Crying out for something more than I’ve been shown
    Knowing none of this is real

Don’t close your eyes
    Something beautiful is still alive
    Don’t close your eyes
    Never turn away and let it die

I cannot seem to find the answers
    Every truth has slipped away
    All that riddles me will never cease to be
    Still I search this world in vain

Don’t close your eyes
    Don’t close your eyes

Cry out to save tomorrow
    It’s not too late
    Or your heavy heart will follow
    You to the grave
    This is not the end. This is not the end

Don’t close your eyes
    Don’t close your eyes

We can’t hesitate, hope is not too late
    For the time has come, what have we become?
    Nothing left to do but deny the truth

Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show

Move:Draw Bow.
    Free: Notch Arrow.
    Standard: Start Inspire Courage

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Julius

Julius runs to a place he can see outside staying behind the Guildmaster the entire time and views the carnage.

"The price on the bounty just went up an additional 200 platinum. You still want to hire us?" Julius says with a pissed off look on his face straight to the Guildmaster. "Otherwise we're out. Y'all let this situation get out of control."

While finishing the sentence Julius scans the room, hesitating briefly before responding to the threat outside.

Spoiler: Observations
    Show

How many people are left in the guildhall and what are they doing? Are they armed and armored? Is there anything of value lying around? Is there any open flames around?
    Is the guildmaster preparing his people to fight? What race is the guild master? Does he have any weapons or armor on?

Any protocols for a wartime cease fire that Julius would know of? Such as a horn, or yelling cease fire in Aquan or waving a flag? Anything Hafgufan that comes to his mind either?

Spoiler: combat
    Show

Free Action: speak
    Delay to initiative count 1
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-04-24 at 09:25 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, I was unexpectedly without internet the past few days.

Meera

Meera readies an action to manifest Mind Thrust if any hostiles get close enough to threaten her or the party.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind Thrust - (1d10)[1] (Will DC13 negates)
    *sigh*
    Last edited by Jeriah; 2017-04-30 at 09:16 PM.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Xander knows that tritons and sea cats are very slow and ungainly on land, and are generally not inclined to venture from the sea -- if they sustain any notable losses, they're likely to flee into the water.

Xander shoots a bolt of crackling energy at a triton, but misses over the dude's head! The tritons all turn their heads to scrutinize the party! Then Xander moves into the alley!

Vassilia moves out into the alley as well, preparing to defend the party or attack any tritons that come close!

Tritons #1 and #2 reload their crossbows! Triton #3, her crossbow already loaded... has no targets, and thus readies a shot for the next target who comes into view!

Julius peers out the door. The guildmaster winces, "We don't have that kind of money. But maybe the Viscount, or the Crown, can provide such a reward..."

There are let's say about a dozen people in the guildhall, some taking cover, some peering out the grimy windows; the rest escaped through a back door to the northeast. The place is lit with lit lanterns hanging from the walls and ceilings, which might qualify as an open flame; there's also a pleasantly crackling fireplace to the north, which definitely does.

The guildmaster is a mongrelman, and he does not appear equipped with any weapons or armor -- these are not fighters, they are whalers. A couple of whalers are grabbing decorative harpoons from the walls, but they're unlikely to last very long in a fight with the tritons and sea cats.

Yelling for a parlay in Aquan in the name of Hafgufa is likely to work, unless the tritons are really mad. Tritons are usually relatively peacable, and probably willing to pause a battle to talk.

Triton #4 reloads his crossbow.

Jeffery draws his bow, prepares to shoot, and begins to sing with perky melody and less-perky lyrics!

Tritons #7 and #8 urge their mounts eastward.

Meera readies a power for if any foes get within 25 feet!

Triton #5 readies a shot if he sees any clear targets!

Triton #6 moves north!

Show
    Code:
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈#     #..#       #X.+,,Hall,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈#     #.*##+#╪#+##V.#,,,,,,,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈5...77..............|,,,,,,,
    ≈-----....77...4..........#B,,,,,,
    ≈-----....2........*......###+####
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈............................
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈........1..............*....
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈........88..................
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈..3.....88..*......*........
    ≈-----..6###+###╪####............*
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈...#          +..##+###╪##..
    . = street
    , = building interior
    # = building
    ╪ = closed door
    | = open door
    + = window
    - = docks
    ≈ = ocean
    * = bodies

G = Jeffery
    M = Meera
    B = Julius
    X = Xander
    V = Vassilia
    1-6 = tritons

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Xander

Xander took a step to the east and raised his palms towards the square, preparing to attack any Tritons that advance into view.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ready action .

suggest we parlay if anyone knows Aquan.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Meera

Not knowing aquan, Meera simply maintains her readied action for defense, hoping one of the others is better equipped to handle this for now.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Julius

With an angry look he turns to the group and in common he says, "Alright they ain't paying us to fight."

Then he cups his hands across his mouth and let's out a sound that mostly sounds like waves crashing on a beach, "Cshhhhhhhh Cshhhhhhhhh, Cshhh"

Spoiler: Aquatic
    Show

"Cease Fire! In the name of Hafgufa we ask for a Parlay"
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-05-05 at 05:59 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Xander

At Julius' insistence, Xander dissipated the magic building up in him and waited to see whether talking would work.

Spoiler
    Show
    cancel readied action and delay instead.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #110

Jeffery

Scanning the immediate area out the door for threats, Jeffery continues singing, and readies an action to fire on anything that attacks us.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Xander delays!

Vassilia delays!

Tritons #1-3 move a bit east!

Julius, in Aquan, yells for a parlay! Triton #1, who seems to be the leader, thinks for a moment, then yells for his followers to stand down temporarily.

The remaining tritons, and the party, all ready and/or delay.

The leader then calls out,
    Spoiler: Aquan
    Show
    "The people of this town have committed many grave offenses against Hafgufa. Would you interrupt their punishment?"

Show
    Code:
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈#     #..#       #X.+,,Hall,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈#     #.*##+#╪#+##V.#,,,,,,,
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈5...77..............|,,,,,,,
    ≈-----....77...4..........#B,,,,,,
    ≈-----......2......*......###+####
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈............................
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈..........1............*....
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈....3...88..................
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈........88..*......*........
    ≈-----..6###+###╪####............*
    ≈≈≈≈≈≈...#          +..##+###╪##..
    . = street
    , = building interior
    # = building
    ╪ = closed door
    | = open door
    + = window
    - = docks
    ≈ = ocean
    * = bodies

G = Jeffery
    M = Meera
    B = Julius
    X = Xander
    V = Vassilia
    1-6 = tritons

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Julius

Still looking pissed he turns to the captain, "Get those spears out. Need to see if they are really enchanted."

Continuing in Aquan,
    Show

"Great Titons, chosen of Hafgufa, this town wishes to pay penance for their sins. Pray allow us to mediate on their behalf?"
    Camel's Handbook

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Steve's Haunt, Outside the Whaling Guild

The guildmaster says to some remaining guildies, "Get the reward spears and harpoons out." They head behind the bar and return with five miscellaneous spears and harpoons, all of which gleam, some of which are studded with gems or plated with precious metals.

The triton leader ponders, then nods,
    Show
    "Hafgufa can be forgiving when penance is offered. We're listening."
    Last edited by Malimar; 2017-05-28 at 11:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Julius

When the gleaming spears comes out he winks subtly at Meera while pulling out his holy symbol and donning it. "I really wish I had time to change clothes again" He says angrily before turning to Jeffrey, "They have granted us permission to talk. You ready to mediate?"
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-05-30 at 07:33 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

25. - Top - End - #115

Kobold

Vasillia

Vasillia nervously lowers her blade and joins Xander in waiting for the negations to proceed.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Meera

Whispering, "So... if someone could fill me in on what's going on... I mean, we are playing for time to setup a good counterattack. Right?"

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Xander

"Well, what do you think?" Xander whispered to Vasillia, "should we get into a better spot in case they start shooting again, see if any of those people can still be saved, or just wait here?"

He rubbed his hands together nervously. Going out into the courtyard could be extremely dangerous, but any of those people might still be alive, and could be saved with a charge from his belt. At the same time, if the shooting started again, he'd much rather be on the roof where he could peek over the top and hit any of the Tritons without exposing himself too much...
    TC for short

28. - Top - End - #118

Kobold

Vasillia

"let's check for survivors" Vasillia whispers to Xander

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by BaratheonFury; 2017-06-11 at 12:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Xander

"Tell them I'm going to check on the wounded," Xander said.

"when the hell did i get so stupid..." he thought to himself.

He waited a moment, then put his hands up in a gesture of surrender and stepped out of the alley slowly, moving directly south towards the unconscious person he could see lying on the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    full defense and move south 8 squares
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #120

Jeffery

Jeffery stops singing.
    "We can attempt it, I'm not sure how much help I will be though, since I do not know the language. And, I'd just like to point out that we're still pretty much in the dark about this whole thing. I mean if the townspeople here did something such as slaughtering a village of Tritons, then where do we go from there? And that's rhetorical at this point, just something to keep in mind." says Jeffery addressing Julius.

..this is not going to end well... Jeffery thinks to himself.

Jeffery sighs.
    "I guess there's no time like the present..." he says, putting the arrow back in the quiver, but keeping the bow out and ready incase he needs it, and gesturing to Julius to lead the way.