New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Investigating Empirica

Nolt

Nolt sat by the Inquisitor, having purposefully chosen the opposite car of Demetrius. "...damnit." He hated it when he made rookie mistakes like that. Back in the Imperial Guard rookie mistakes got a man killed. He ignored the window and what rushed past outside the car and focused on performing minor calibrations on his Lasgun.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was, but I got it mixed up with another game I'm in. Won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigel Cyrosea View Post
    Empirica City

Derrick looks slightly puzzeled at Demetrius' question. "I was told this is a fairly routine vist- just checking things here, to make sure we're all serving the Emperor loyaly. Why? Is there more to it?" Derrick's eyes light up, and he is obviously excited by the prospect.
    Demetrius Sextus

The magos sighed and folded his hands calmly in his lap, his face an impassive mask. "More to it? Now why would you think that, my friend?" he said, tilting his head slowly towards one side. "Is there something else you wish to bring to our attention?" he asked calmly, a conspiratorial smile crossing his lips. "Or should we be taking a closer look..." Father interrupted by zooming up close to Derrick's head and started to scan him with its glowing, red oculars, "...anywhere?"

The best way to parry an annoying question was to answer it with another pointed question. Being in the retinue of an Imperial Inquisitor made it laughably easy to make people sweat. Just insinuate that someone might be under investigation and they sang like the carrion birds of Cadia. He didn't elaborate either, letting doubt and panic start slowly creeping in. Who needed psychic powers when you had these verbal surgeon's tools to work with?
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2007-08-21 at 08:34 PM.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Empirica City

Derrick quickly loses his excitement, and as the servo-skull comes so close to his face, he looks positivly scared. "N-nn-n-n... Godammit! I'm s-sorry s-s-sir. I s-stutter when I'm n-ner- I mean, s-sometimes."
    Derrick takes a minute to calm himself, then starts again. "No, sir. There isn't anything I think you need to look into closely." He keeps his face impassive as he says this.
    Just another souless construct out for world peace and harmony.

Campaign Setting- The Slow Death

Auron Avatar courtesy of Ink.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seriphius Decimus

Seriph watches the crowd, expressionless, then glances at Kira beside him, arching an eyebrow meaningfully. "Getting anything from the crowd? Given how nervous our guide was, something is being hid. Advanced warning on an ambush would be nice." He turns his attention back to the crowd, ready to exit the door at the first sign of trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    He is by the door, Kira next to him. I assume Heinreich is on her other side
    Last edited by Sepp; 2007-08-22 at 12:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriphius Decimus-Investigating Empirica
    Lucian Davers-Star Wars: Pirates!
    Crispin Aesier-Kayru

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Derrick quickly loses his excitement, and as the servo-skull comes so close to his face, he looks positivly scared. "N-nn-n-n... Godammit! I'm s-sorry s-s-sir. I s-stutter when I'm n-ner- I mean, s-sometimes."
    Derrick takes a minute to calm himself, then starts again. "No, sir. There isn't anything I think you need to look into closely." He keeps his face impassive as he says this.
    Demetrius

"Father, give the man some breathing room for the Emperor's sake." Demetrius ordered, and the servo-skull acquiesced after a moment of focusing its oculars at Derrick. "Don't be so nervous, Mr. Karlau. Any loyal citizen who loves the Emperor has nothing to fear from us. You do love the God-Emperor, yes?" he chuckled, noting Derrick's stutter for future reference. He slid a sidelong glance towards Seriphius and Kira as Derrick collected himself, giving them a slight smile. Mostly, he was just having some fun with the nervous aide. It had been a long flight, after all.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2007-08-22 at 03:23 PM.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Empirica City

Derrick nods.

The cars continue down the streets, and the crowds thin as you get farther from the landing point. Two Adeptus Arbites vehicles keep nearby however, one in front and one behind. The buildings of Empirica City are tall and beautiful, but you can still see the sky. The city is nothing like the dirty, overcrowded and polluted hives of other worlds.
    Eventually, the cars pull up and park in front of a tall, butressed building. Derrick gets out and says "This is the Governor's parliment building."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

Kira Danusku

She talks quietly to Seriph as they step out of the car. "There's nothing specific I can sense, everything seems calm."

Keeping her pose as a minor part of the entourage, she gives Derrick a reassuring smile, and pats him lightly on the arm when it seems the Inquisitor isn't looking. "You'll be fine." Her words are quiet, barely audible even to him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kira Danusku in D20-40K: Investigating Empirica
    Varessei Miexi in Star Wars: Pirates!

8. - Top - End - #68

Nolt

Nolt stepped out of the car and circled around to the other side. He then oppened the Inquisitor's door for him and stood at attention as he waited for him to get out of the car. Well, so far so good. I'll breathe easier when we get inside.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Demetrius

"I find it odd that Governor Dhaos didn't come to meet Lord Auriga directly instead of sending an aide. He must be making a point about having us come to him." Demetrius smiled, speaking in a low voice at Seriphius's side so that Derrick wouldn't hear them. The huge brother-sergeant(?) of the Adeptes Astartes was as imposing as he was quiet, and Demetrius had wondered more than once just how long the warrior had served the Emperor. Space marines could live many centuries despite their penchant for dying gloriously in battle. He'd never asked Seriphius anything personal, actually. To be honest, he didn't even know to what holy chapter the warrior belonged. He would make sure to engage him in conversation the next time the Inquisitorial retinue had a quiet moment.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Empirica City

Derrick seems suprised at Kira's kindness. "Thank you Miss." he says quietly.
    Then he walks to the front of the group and into the building. The lobby is large, with green tiled floor and walls. Several well armed gaurds glance up as you come in, but, seeing Derrick, they ignore you. Derricks walks to a large metal door. He takes out a card and swipes it, then says in a clear tone "Derrick Karlau, taking the Inquisitor Auriga and his retinue to the Governor's office."
    After a few seconds, the doors open and he steps onto the lift.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seriphius Decimus

Seriph glances at the other, making sure they are ready for anything, then steps onto the lift. "Impressive building."He says in a noncommittal tone, turning to face the street.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

12. - Top - End - #72

Nolt

"Hmmm..." Nolt looked around the room as well, but he wasn't very impressed. He then stepped on the lift next to Seriphius.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Demetrius

The psyker seems to be in deep, nonverbal communication with his servo-skull, just staying over in the corner for the time-being until his input was required.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

Empirica City, Office of the Governor

After a short trip upwards, the lift once again opens. The room before you is a large and well furnished office. The floor is covered in a comfortable carpet with a strange, octagonal design on it. The walls are the same green tile as before, but are mostly covered by windows or tapestries depicting the same design as the floor.
    At the far side of the room there is a large, ornate desk, covered in neat stacks of paper. Behind it is the Governor, Joseph Dhaos. He is rather pudgy man, but his face seems strong. He has watery blue eyes and brown hair, and wears very casual clothes for someone of his office.
    Sitting on a chair by the left wall is another man. He is very thin, with a sharp face and blue eyes. His hair is dark, and he wears and official-looking uniform.
    Standing to the right of Governor is another man, in the Military Uniform of a high ranking PDF officer. He has brown hair and eyes. Also in the room are two security gaurds, standing by the wall opposite of the Governor.
    Derrick steps forward and speaks to the Dhaos. "Governor, may I introduce our guest, Inquisitor Auriga," he says, with a flourish. Dhaos nods, and speaks. "You grace us with your visit, Inquisitor. I am Joseph Dhaos, Imperial Governor of this planet. This man," he points to the man sitting on the chair, "is Justicar Aaron Artanis. And this is John Gatewell, commander of the Planetary Defense Forces." he says, gesturing toward the officer. "Perhaps you could introduce your entourage?" he asks.
    Inquisitor Auriga narrows his eyes at this request. "I am sure they can introduce themselves, Governor." he says.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've sent PMs for Kira and Demetrius on things they've noticed.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Demetrius

Well...

That was one mark against the current governing body already and they had barely entered the room. Demetrius tilted his head just a tad, not really paying attention to the conversation but focusing more intently upon something he had just noticed, like a rock hitting the windshield and startling one out of the stupor of long-distance transportation. From underneath his hood, green eyes studied the governor's entourage with curiosity. However, rather than blurt out whatever it was, he decided to keep his composure. He did spare at glance at Kira, though.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

Nolt

Nolt took a step forward and thumped himself on the chest. "I'm Nolt Iadmos, Inquisitor Auriga's bodyguard." He then stepped back beside the Inquisitor and waited for the others to introduce themselves.

17. - Top - End - #77

Kira Danusku

Kira catches the glance from Demetrious, her own senses on edge as she studies the Governor and those he has chosen to accompany him. Taking a step forward, she inclines her head slightly in greeting.

"I am Kira Danusku, aide to Inquisitor Auriga."

She knew that a wait for the others to introduce themselves could turn into an uncomfortably long pause. The marine was never one for words, and the psyker... would need more time to adjust to the landing, the new 'voices', than she had.

She gestures to the huge man standing just beside her.
    "This is Marine Decimus, of the White Scars Chapter."

Her gaze flicks to the servo-skull in the corner, which seems to be regarding her with some amusement, projecting it despite the emotionless visage. Indicating its master, she continues the introductions.
    "And this is Master Sextus, loremaster and keeper of the official records."

Let them make of that what they would. With a quick glance to the Inquisitor, she makes sure she would not be interrupting if he wished to speak. She glances at each of the governor's companions for a brief moment, then smiles warmly.

"I trust everything is in order? It seems our visit has caused some little excitement."
    Last edited by Stormkitten; 2007-08-27 at 03:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78

Empirica City

"Well, everything is as ordered as could be expected, considering the situation." Dhaos says. "Derrick, leave us. Gaurds, you too. I'm sure I'm perfectly safe with the Inquisitor and his retinue here."
    Derrick and the Gaurds exit the room by one of the doors. Once they're gone, Gatewell, the PDF commander, speaks. "Now. About this supposed cult." he practically spits the last word. "I don't know where you got your information, but I'd don't believe a word of it. Mind enlightening me whose been telling tales?"
    The Justicar frowns at this. "Show the man some respect, General. You seem to have forgotten what it's like to have someone outrank you."
    Inquisitor Auriga is not pleased. "Our sources are of no concern to you, General. And I must say, I am not impressed with the situation here at all."
    Governor Dhaos glares at Gatewell, then says "Is there anything else you need to ask right now?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Demetrius Sextus

"If I may, my lord?" Demetrius said, bowing to the Inquisitor politely. Given leave to speak, he took a step foreward and addressed the Governor and the General.

"You say you have heard nothing of heretical activity on Empirica, General? Governor?" he asked curiously. "Not even a whisper, in fact? Someone's just telling tales?" he chuckled. "I find that hard to believe, given the size of the world's general population. You'd think that the Arbites or local police forces would be putting on a witch trial at least every few years just to show they are doing their fair share. It is common among most planets in the Imperium just to avoid visits such as this one." he said, examining a piece of art off to the side of the room curiously.

"Furthermore, you haven't had any latent psykers showing up at all? No one reported to the Black Ships or the Scholastica Psykana in recent memory? They tend to poke their heads out every decade or so...but you're telling me it's all quiet on the home front?"

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Empirica City

Gatewell face goes red with anger at Demtrius' words. He starts to yell something, but Dhaos cuts him off.
    "Enough, Gatewell." he sighs, then continues "The last psycher discovered here was found 10 years ago, and was excecuted, as he was to dangerous to contain until the Imperial Official arrived. That was before I was Governor, and I cannot be held resposible for the actions of my predecessor. As for witch hunts, we don't believe in tormenting the innocent here, and we have found no evidence of true cultists for over 200 years."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Demetrius

Demetrius clasped his hands in front of him as he enjoyed the general's explosive temper, noting that for future reference as well. He enjoyed testing these people. It would be more efficient to know they're weaknesses if he had to interrogate them later.

"So, just to confirm this, you're saying there have been no psykers or heretics at least within the last ten years? You have kept your detection methods up to date and kept close watch upon your territory in the time you have been governor?" he smiled. "This is for my records, so I have to be thorough."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Nolt

Nolt watch the General's explosive fury in quiet fascination. He knew that many officers took the approach of leading the Guardsmen with a combination of intimidation and the chain of command. He had even served under a few of them. More often then not they were found with a lasbolt through the back of their head, one of the many victims of 'friendly fire'. He smirked when he thought of this. He had witnessed more than a few of those incidences.But since this guy's a General, I doubt it will happen. Nolt rubbed his nose and let his gaze wander the office.

23. - Top - End - #83

Kira Danusku

The sudden surge of anger in the room takes her by surprise, even though she should have expected some reaction.

Careless... she thinks, as she keeps a tight control on her expression.

Watching Mayor Dhaos once more, she considers all the possibilities implied by what she has noticed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to identify the powder / drug:
    Knowledge (Streetwise) (1d20+8=25)
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Empirica City

"We have kept our methods as up to date as possible, considering our limited contact with the rest of the Imperium. We are vigilant for traitors, mutants, and heretics, as are we all, but we have been lucky enough not to find any." Dhaos says.
    "Do you have any further questions, Master Sextus?"

Kira:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You cannot identify it by sight alone, but it is probably recreational, rather than medicinal or performance enhancing.
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2007-08-29 at 08:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seriphius Decimus

Seriph leans back against the wall, listening to the discussion about him, his eyes on the psyker, waiting for some flash of alarm. He leaves the interrogation to the others, knowing that this is what they are trained for. Still, he stays alert, ready to spring into action at a moments notice.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

"Do you have any further questions, Master Sextus?"
    "Why, in fact, I do, governor. Though, it is more of a concluding statement this time." Demetrius said, walking in front of Seriphius and at the same time giving him a signal for danger behind his back. The rest of the party would no doubt see it as they were behind him while the governor's retinue would remain blissfully unaware. "I think, governor, that if your detection methods were up to date, you would know that there is a psyker in this very room. In fact, he is sitting not ten feet from your desk." Demetrius said pointedly, looking at the Justicar.

"Justicar Artanis, with all due respect please stay seated and think clean, pure thoughts, mmmkay? And hope to the holy God-Emperor that this is all a big misunderstanding."

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Empirica City

Dhaos smiles. "I am well aware of the Justicar's abilities, Master Sextus. As I said, there have been no new psychers found here in the last 10 years. However, Justicar Artanis' talents were not discovered here."
    Artanis continues. "I was discovered on Mordian, my homeworld. Instead of being drafted into the Imperial Gaurd, I was trained as a psycher. I came to Empirica 15 years ago, and have been employing my talents to help the local law enforcement since. When Governor Dhaos assumed his current position, he appointed me Justicar."
    "Satisfied, Master Sextus?" asks Dhaos.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seriphius Decimus

Seriph sees the signal, and becomes fractionally more alert, though no one observing him would notice it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Demetrius Sextus

"Not in the least, governor. Lying by way of omission is still lying." Demetrius frowned. "All records of psyker activity in your government should have been made available to the Inquisitor and by way of him, to me, long before we ever arrived here. As such, this is unacceptable." he said, quickly replacing his dour expression with a serene smile. "My apologies, Justicar, but I would like all records of your discovery, education and subsequent postings transmitted to me immediately for review. I must be thorough." he said with a small, almost humble bow.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Empirica City

"Very well Master Sextus." says the Justicar. "However, I hope you will do me the same courtesy, by submitting your own records of discovery, education, and the rest."
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2007-08-30 at 07:53 PM.