New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Blood of the Dragon V

"...It's not much different from how your world is. Every nation is suspicious of the others. There was one, the Twilight Lands, that acted as a mediator, but they could never really stop the hostility between the North and South."

2. - Top - End - #182

Stark nods. "Simple conflicts between people over resources, religion, land, or some other nonsense...that sounds so far away now. Perhaps humans will always struggle against each other, no matter what world they live in. But don't you think they have a right to that struggle? Don't you think the goblins, the giants, the orcs and the dragons all have the right to live out their lives in any way they please? Who is the Void to decide who should have their lives cut short?"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

"I get that, but do we just meet her in her throne room and let her have the home advantage? Or do we try to stage a more neutral meeting point and risk offending her?" The Queen was a wild card, one that Vaex had no idea how to really handle.

4. - Top - End - #184

"By the gods, was I this annoying when I spoke to Ralek back then? They do have that right, but Void doesn't give a damn."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Hm... it may be best to leave that up to her. Letting her set the terms should give her a sense of control and make her more likely to go along with this."

5. - Top - End - #185

"Can we at least try to think of a back-up plan in case she decides that the best way to engage in diplomacy with the Princess of the Wastes is by throwing us to her ravenous pets? I know that we won't have a clue about the palace or its layout until we get there, but having something to fall back on would make me feel a lot better about the situation." If asked about it, Vaex would have been willing to admit that this coming encounter with the Queen made him nervous as all hell.

6. - Top - End - #186

"Then fight, Xinia. Fight to protect those rights. Honestly, what do you have to lose that the Void hasn't already taken from you? Stand at my side and show it the strength of a human's free will!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+15)[24]

7. - Top - End - #187

Taalia blinks, apparently at a loss for words. "Do you have any ideas of what to do if things to bad, Vaex?"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "What good will it do? If I try to defy him, he can just unravel me whenever he wants, and I'll be forced to fight the others."

8. - Top - End - #188

"Then I guess our first step is to figure out exactly how this 'unraveling' process works so we can defend against it. Do you know anything about the magic the Void uses to create and disassemble you?"

9. - Top - End - #189

"Well, if things go sour, you need to run. If the Queen gets her hands on you and takes you captive, any chance of resolving this peacefully will go up in a puff of smoke. I will talk with Forseti and ask him to fly you out if the worst should happen."

10. - Top - End - #190

"No, I don't. You can't defend against it, Stark."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Taalia sighs. "I'd rather not have to leave any of you behind just to save my own skin."

11. - Top - End - #191

Stark shrugs. "Then the Void will unmake you. And once that's done, you won't be standing against us. So we have an easier time taking It down. Nothing you say or do will make me back down, Xinia. I already decided that I'm going to save you. It's that simple."

12. - Top - End - #192

"It's not just about you," Vaex reminds her. "I hope that, coming from a kobold used to saving his own scales, you can understand that. Not only the people in the Tundra, but the whole world needs its leaders able to contribute to its defense. It would be very hard for you to do that from a dungeon cell."

He shrugs. "If Stark was here, this would be the part where he tells us that everything will be fine and that I'm making a mountain lair out of an anthill. But these are things to keep in mind so that we don't freeze up and lose our one chance to influence a bad situation."

13. - Top - End - #193

"How do you expect to save me when you can't even save yourself?"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Maybe they need me, but I need all of you. I'm not strong or clever like any of you are, the only power I've got is that I have a kingdom willing to follow me, and that alone isn't going to get us through this mess."

14. - Top - End - #194

Stark is taken aback.

"...The deal my father made before I was born has nothing to do with this situation," he replies in a small voice after a few moments.

15. - Top - End - #195

His expression softening, Vaex places a small scaly hand on Taalia's shoulder. "You're more than just a tiara, Taalia. You were chosen, as we all were, to fight this thing. I can't think of any other princess who would follow and fight Necro in his own lair.

But we have to be prepared to make tough choices. This is a long and arduous road in front of us. I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. It's everyone else that I'm worried about. The only way to win this battle is to survive. If I can't make you promise to leave, can you at least tell me that you won't do anything stupid? You're a sensible woman, but... well, even I can be unreasonable sometimes,"
    Vaex admits reluctantly.

16. - Top - End - #196

"...Who said I was talking about that?" A small hiss sounds from above, and Stark looks up to see some of the mistborn peering down at him from the rooftops.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "...Alright. I won't do anything reckless, Vaex."

17. - Top - End - #197

"Well, I can't think of what else you mean about me not being able to save myself. If you're talking about the Void, that's stupid. There's a prophecy and everything. We're definitely going to win. If I didn't believe that we were going to win with every fiber of my being, why would I be here right now instead of with my team fighting desperately to open the tower?"

18. - Top - End - #198

"That is all that I can ask of you," Vaex relented, settling in for the ride... for better or worse.

19. - Top - End - #199

"Because you're as impulsive as Gavin."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    They approach the city with little incident. Nyktox pulls the wagon to a stop a few hundred yards from the gate. "Should we all go in together, or split up?"

20. - Top - End - #200

Stark stamps his foot. "I'll show you just how firm my resolve is, Xinia. I'm. Not. Leaving. Not until I can restore hope to you once more. You should really have a better impression of my friends. Nyktox is stronger than an ox. Taalia is courageous and her presence inspires everyone. Teisa is nurturing and her connection to this world is on a deeper, more primal level. Tiana..."

He trails off. "Tiana has suffered. Maybe not as much as you have, but she's suffered more than I can imagine. She has a reason to fight, and to never stop fighting until she wins. And Vaex is just determined to survive, no matter what gets thrown at him."

Stark grins. "Compared to our teamwork and determination, the Void's appetite is nothing. Omnipotence? God-slaying? Sounds more like a lack of innovation and complacency to me."

21. - Top - End - #201

Vaex makes a point of slinging his crossbow on his shoulder. Paranoia tried to tell him to keep it ready, but they were here for peace negotiations. It certainly wouldn't make a good first impression.

"We stay together. We can defend ourselves better as a group and it's harder for anyone to get jumped." Looking at Taalia, Vaex sweeps an arm. "Shall we?"

22. - Top - End - #202

"...Then you're going to be here until you die, Stark." The door opens slightly, and she peers out at him through the crack. "You're asking me to have hope that your promise of saving me and defeating Void is going to be any different than the empty promises of the thousands of would-be 'heroes' that I've stood against since my soul was claimed."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Taalia nods, and they make their way toward the gate. The orc guards ready their weapons, but aside from glaring they don't make any aggressive actions against them.

"That's odd... I though they were preparing for war against everyone not from the Wastes?"

"Maybe they don't see us as a threat. Not that surprising, kobolds aren't taken seriously outside the Crags unless there's at least 50 of us in a group."

"Not to mention that I'm the biggest of all of us and I'm barely as large as any of them."

23. - Top - End - #203

Stark nods. "I will put an end to this. ...But since you're not cooperating for now, let's change the subject. Do you know what happened to Serana?"

24. - Top - End - #204

Tiana has a good point. Vaex would have expected a little more bristling from the pig-snouted guards at the gate. His paranoid mind raced with possibilities and implications.

Best just to treat things as business as usual for now. He's tempted to act as a herald for Taalia, but perhaps it might be better if the Princess spoke first. Vaex didn't want to give the impression that he spoke for the royal line of a nation that he wasn't even a citizen of.

25. - Top - End - #205

"What gives you the impression that I keep track of what Necro eats?"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    They're allowed to pass without issue. As the wagon moves down the road, the many citizens of the city turn to stare at them. Some are curious, others wear open glares... and yet, some even seem hopeful upon seeing the newcomers.

26. - Top - End - #206

Stark frowns. "There's got to be more to this than that. I understand that Necro...did something to her. But she doesn't appear to have passed on to the afterlife of this world yet. That means she's still alive, right? In some way or another."

27. - Top - End - #207

The mixed reactions of the populace is a good sign. That means that mobilization is not yet fully underway.

Vaex says in a low voice to Taalia, "There may be some among the common folk that would be willing to help us. Let's keep that in mind as we go forward."

28. - Top - End - #208

"How should I know? Why are you asking me and not your death god, or whatever it is you people worship on this plane?"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Taalia nods. "Maybe we should speak with the locals before heading to the palace, then."

29. - Top - End - #209

Stark shakes his head. "You know, for someone who claims to have seen so much suffering in the universe, you don't seem to be very observant. ...I suppose it can't be helped then. Just come out whenever you start feeling lonely."

He sits down a ways away from the door and starts preparing a meal for the day.

30. - Top - End - #210

After a while, the door opens, and Xinia stumbles out. Her robes are ragged and numerous black veins are running across her hands and cheek, with a large patch of blackness covering one eye. "You're seriously going to sit out here all day, aren't you?"