New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default PhDs! Topic Share?

So it occurs to me that I might not be the only PhD student on these forums, and that in fact these forums might have a higher percentage of PhD students than most online communities. So I'm curious about what disciplines are represented! I thought it could be interesting to share our PhD topics. Who knows, maybe some of us are similar enough to write a paper on some fluffy fun D&D topic!

As for me, I'm in Public Policy and Governance (With my masters in Sociology, and before that, psychology, politics, social policy...) and my thesis is on 'Trading in Influence' - i.e. 'Nice and Friendly Neighborhood Corruption'

How about you?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: PhDs! Topic Share?

Well, I am only a master's student, but i am doing research into RFI mitigation in radio-astronomy arrays. On the subject of geeky papers, my co-researchers play Coup: Rebellion at lunch every day. They frequently discuss their plans to write a book about it. Things like "pocket general", "Killing [x] is always a good idea", and "force gambit" get used frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bioinformatics and Computational Biology here; at least, that's what it's going to say on the diploma. I'm more of a synthetic/structural biologist/protein engineer.

My thesis topic, title TBD, will be something about de novo design of protein affinity reagents.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2017-04-04 at 04:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I got three years into a phd in ecology/epidemiology before i burned out. i got into the program basically because i was already working in the lab as a dba and scored high enough on the GRE that i was officially made an honorary asian. i had a BA in japanese lit. should have gone for the master's.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Operations Research (the mathematics of decision making). Specifically, my dissertation was on an online scheduling problem solved using game theory techniques.

6. - Top - End - #6

I suspect we have our fair share of PhD doctors around here.

I got my undergrad from UMKC in 2008 (BA in Math Education and BS in Math). Went to Mizzou, got a MA in 2011 and my PhD in 2014, both math. My dissertation was entitled Quasi-Metric Geometry.

Now... I teach at a small public high school. I'm looking to join the Air Force though, should know in 16 days whether I'm in.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

If I had a thesis topic I wanted to work on, I'd consider going for the PhD. Currently Master's.
    Last edited by Icewraith; 2017-04-05 at 07:00 PM.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wonder what makes you say this forum might have more PhD students and graduates than most.

Anyway I'm working on computer science, ICN in particular. If the whole internet architecture gets reshuffled into something completely different in a few years from now on, there's a high chance I'll be partially (very partially) responsible for that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Juggling a PhD and an MFA at the moment. The MFA is in literary translation. The PhD is in English lit, medieval focus. My particular focus areas within that are translations and multilingual literature.

Currently at the thesis/dissertation stage of both degrees.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Getting a PhD in Medieval History. Dissertation on the concept of medieval emotional hegemony and how social classes and structures create spheres of influence on each other.

Basically, created a synthesis out of William Reddy's and Barbara Rosenwein's work, using clergy, noble, and military texts as support.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-04-05 at 09:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    I wonder what makes you say this forum might have more PhD students and graduates than most.
    ppl hear seam smrter then liek gamefaqs
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    ppl hear seam smrter then liek gamefaqs
    Hardly. Trust me, I've met some very unintelligent PhD candidates

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genth View Post
    Hardly. Trust me, I've met some very unintelligent PhD candidates
    Present! white words

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Finished a PhD in engineering and public policy in 2014. Dissertation was on how to measure organization capability based on comparing organization and task structure.

For those working your dissertation, keep heart! It took me a LONG time to finish mine, and I got interrupted a couple times. Several times I was a hair's breadth from quitting entirely, but I ended up pulling it through.
    Last edited by robnar; 2017-04-07 at 01:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

PhD in Engineering Physics with specialization in Microsystems - specifically micropropulsion systems, nanosatellite technology, and silicon wafer bonding.

Good luck and stamina to all fellow forumites aiming for the degree!
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!