New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Looking for a 3.5 Premade for Dungeoncrawling at High Level

Hello, apologies for the asking post, but have heard that this is one of the best places to get advice. I'm running a long-term 3.5 campaign (currently 13th-level), and am preparing our next adventure. Although the campaign is home-brew, I enjoy looking over pre-made adventures to gain ideas as well as make building the adventure layout somewhat easier.

Am looking for 3.5 adventures where the goal is to dungeon-crawl through a castle (of significant evil). Are there any in particular that come to mind that fit somewhere in the level 12-16 range?

Thanks so much!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Looking for a 3.5 Premade for Dungeoncrawling at High Level

It might be a little high level (and I believe it leaves a lot undefined) but Dungeon Magazine printed a version of Castle Maure which might fit this.
    I only played it (or most of it) so I don't know the details.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

City of the spider queen I think fits this. Not sure how dungeon-crawly it is but its within the level range.

Rappan Athuk Reloaded, or just normal Rappan Athuk (which is 3.0. reloaded is the 3.5 update), is a very grindy dungeon crawl that goes 1-20 but I think it was parcelled out in installments at some point. Expect folks to die. A lot. I briefly looked at it ages ago(3.0 version), seems highly lethal but looks decent to run. Its pricey however.

There are not a ton of high level adventures that are dungeon crawling since most dungeon crawly stuff is invalidated by a ton of spells.

There are sections of world largest dungeon that would fit the bill, but I've found it obtuse and not as well done, however I have limited experience with both.

You may be better off using one of the online random dungeon generators and just populating it with more monsters that work than the limited SRD based ones.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maure Castle (Dungeon 112) is a big dungeon crawl that begins at level 12th and ends potentially at level 17th. It got expanded first with Chamber of Antiquities (level 16) from Dungeon 124 (set into the ruin under the castle) and then with The Greater Halls of Castle Maure (level 17th) in Dungeon 139.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'm not sure the edition, but I remember a fun place called 'Labyrinth of Madness'.
    It might be AD&D 2nd edition, since it was released as TSR's 20th anniversary, and was billed as their toughest adventure to date.

The basis of the dungeon was rather interesting, nasty things within the space, but a puzzle to figure it out too.
    There is errata, without which the dungeon cannot be solved; nice that the initial release was impossible to finish...

Our group had a lot of fun within Rappan Athuk, but unless your group is experienced in dungeon crawls and works well as a team, it can be a punishing place.
    If you have members of the party that regularly go off on their own, ala Wolverine, without saying anything to anyone, you can expect a lot of characters for those players.

We played 76 sessions (average 10 hours), over a two year period... and had 98 character deaths, including as few as 6 and 8 for the teamwork players who played smart and stuck with the group, to as many as 27 for the reckless guy.
    ~ Ualaa

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you have Dungeon Magazines, there's an index of all the 3.5 adventures in issue #150.

Also this may be useful.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wonderful, this is all super helpful - am pawing through the above mentioned adventures now to see what makes sense to take.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

There are also some 'super adventures' like World's Largest Dungeon (WLD), Shackled City, and Age of Worms. With some tweaking, you could use some of the level-appropriate sections from each of these modules for your group.

Also, consider Pathfinder modules. They aren't entirely the same as 3.5, but a lot does still port over. Rise of the Runelords (and Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition) came quickly to my mind, but the same principle (find and tweak for your group) applies to any module.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2017-03-21 at 01:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I just finished running my PC's through Lord of the Iron Fortress, a 3.0 module where 15th-level PC's go assault a fortress on another plane, and hopefully foil the BBEG's plans.

At the very least it has some insights on the type of precautions a BBEG would take to conceal his plans and hinder foes that attack his fortress.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I really liked the savage tide adventure path, and even starting at 13th there would still be 4 more adventures if you wanted to run it to completion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wait, you mean 3.0 was playtested?