New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default How to Change the Default Font in Microsoft Word?

I just got a new copy of Microsoft Office for the Mac, and I’d like to know how to change the default font on new documents in Word. I don’t see any intuitive way to do this when a document opens, and I can’t find an obvious control in Preferences.

I assume this will take some digging deeper into the innards of Word, as these things often do, and I’d appreciate any advice. I’m trying to change the default font from Calibri to Times New Roman, if that helps at all.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: How to Change the Default Font in Microsoft Word?

My first thought is, "don't". Times New Roman is a horrible, terrible, very bad no-good font for any layout that doesn't depend on narrow columns. But setting that aside...

This article is probably the answer you're looking for.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

What I've heard is that serif fonts (Times New Roman, Cambria) are easier to read than san-serif fonts (Arial, Calibri). The serifs - the little marks on the ends of the letters - make the letters flow better, speeding your eyes along. San-serif fonts slow your eyes down, making reading it slower than a serif font. So serif fonts are best for the body of a text, while san-serif fonts are better for headings.

As I understand it, Times New Roman is better for print, while Cambria was designed for screens.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Times New Roman is a standard font for what I’m doing, and it’s often specified for manuscript submissions. Nothing wrong with it.

As for my question, I appreciate the link, but that article was apparently written for an earlier version of Word. When I select the text in a new document, there’s no “Set As Default” option that I can see. Not sure how to find that in the version I have.

Last edited by Palanan; 2017-03-23 at 09:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Which version of Word are you using?

I would suggest finding where your computer stores normal.dotm and open it (from within Word, double clicking will open a new document based on the template, you need to edit the template itself). Then edit the template as you need to and save the changes.

A long-winded way to do it, but should work for any version of Word (OK for earlier versions edit normal.dot instead).

Edit: the location is likely to be in AppData (a hidden folder), mine is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Edit 2: bah - I had forgotten he said Mac - not had one of them since the first general power PC chips...
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2017-03-23 at 03:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

He's on a Mac, though, which doesn't have the same folder structure as Windows. According to this page, the correct location (in Word 2011, at any rate, don't know if Palanan is using a more recent one) is /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/ :

https://support.office.com/en-ie/art...2-19c326352c7f

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Create a custom style with the font you want, and make that style the default. Much easier than personally messing with files.
    Quote Originally Posted by crayzz
    That a given person is known for his sex appeal does not mean that he is only known for his sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jere7my
    For instance, I am also known for my humility.