1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CCLII

At a table downstairs, there is a sign.
    Adventurers/Explorers
    Help wanted!

Modest reward
    Nexus Sign Language a bonus
    It seems to be sitting alone, propped up against a chair.

But if you look very closely, or have extra-sensory perception, you might notice there's an extra chair at the table with someone in it. Vaguely humanoid, mostly hidden under a ragged robe, with two points of orange light shining from under the hood and three sleek little tentacles emerging from one sleeve to curl around a drink. Most people will have their eyes skip right over them without bothering to inform the brain that anything was there. Cameras fail to record them. But there is something.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-07-06 at 10:49 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Boy howdy, Trog's sure is busy today.

The next person to come in is a repeat offender, however, not a new face - a young dark elf woman with light grey skin and dark hair that comes down to just above her shoulders.

Cassandra is not dressed nearly as androgynously as she normally is, with form-fitting slim jeans and a halter-neck top that reveals a decent chunk of her bare back. She looks curiously at the sign for a moment, before taking a seat at the bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

[Fayyaad's Room]

"I don't know much about Vigil. Their leaders are a very prim and proper, aloof sorceress and a dullard of a warrior. Asking someone who's still a member would definitely give you a better picture," Fayyaad agrees. "Which bits give you trouble in MERC?"
    Last edited by Morty; 2017-07-06 at 03:31 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[Fayyaad's Room]

Electra sits back, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I think it boils down to, thinking like a mercenary. I'm good at gathering and analyzing information, but I sometimes forget that I'm not really any sort of official anymore, so I shouldn't need to consider the consequences of handing over what I find out to to the client, even if that info might start a conflict, or be better in someone else's hands. That's most of it; the loss of freedom going from freelance licensee to full member is something I'd have to deal with no matter what org I might join."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

J looks thoughtful. "Thanks. I think I get it now. So I guess that I'll have to get a job sometime soon, right? I have some training as an alchemist. Are there any places around here that I could work at, or should I set up my own?"
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

[Fayyaad's Room]

Fayyaad nods.

"It's a fair consideration. It's why I haven't joined full-time myself. I think it might help your decision if you spoke to other full-time MERC members and listened to what they've got to say about working there. You already know Dena, but she's a serious officer, so pretty... invested in it. The same goes for Vigil, if you're seriously thinking about it. But I've never met anyone from there."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    "You surely aren't that old yet." Right? Maybe babies just make you feel old. "Do fey even get old?" The whole vibrant representation of nature thing seems to imply constant youth, but surely there's some autumn and winter aspects in there somewhere.

Ilpholin doesn't mind Adir's arm, plenty capable of supporting his weight as he leans on her a little. She leans back even. Just a teeny bit. "Well..." Placing a finger on her chin just below her lip, she takes some time thinking the question over. "Harnetta liked forging things right? She might have gotten some supplies for that at whatever sells things to blacksmiths. Little late in the evening for that though." Those shops are probably the strictly 9-5 variety.

"Besides that, ummm... She's single now right? Has been for a little while? Knowing her tastes, she may enjoy the more exotic forms of dancing. If there's any good strip clubs around, she might be there." Ilpholin can't claim to know Harnetta that well, honestly. With some complex feelings over Cessie, Ilpholin just never had the chance to really hang out with Harnetta.

"Right. Yes. Keep telling me that. But yeah, I get old. Just kinda slow-like,"
    Adir explains. He watches Ilpholin ponder, and then bobs his head. "We can hit the blacksmith up another time. Um..."

Now that second suggestion is interesting. Adir snorts. "You know her tastes better than I ever did, I guess." He raises his eyebrows. "You think we should go trolling strip clubs?" The stag struggles to keep from laughing. "I'm just... just imagining Sakura's face, if I tried to pitch this to her."

"Tell you what, if we do, maybe I'd better ask if Sakura wants to come along. So she can monitor me. Though I'm sure I'd come out of the evening with a few new bruises..."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

8. - Top - End - #368

NinjaGuy

[Fayyaad's Room]

"I've talked to a few, and most of them seem pretty happy. But you're right," Electra admits, "I probably should go talk to some VIGIL members, just to make sure that they won't be a better fit."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Boy howdy, Trog's sure is busy today.

The next person to come in is a repeat offender, however, not a new face - a young dark elf woman with light grey skin and dark hair that comes down to just above her shoulders.

Cassandra is not dressed nearly as androgynously as she normally is, with form-fitting slim jeans and a halter-neck top that reveals a decent chunk of her bare back. She looks curiously at the sign for a moment, before taking a seat at the bar.
    The sign disappears for now, enfolded in its owner's non-detectability.

A note flutters in front of Cass.

Buy you a drink?

I noticed you noticing my sign.
    Looking for work?
    - or to help?
    And if she looks for where it came from, with another clue she might notice the cowled half-demon now seated at the bar beside her. Or she might not. No need to disturb this Trog's visitor more than necessary if she isn't interested in talking.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

[Fayyaad's Room]

Fayyaad nods.

"It's a pretty big decision you're considering. Talking to Vigil members is a good step. Maybe people who used to be in MERC but quit, if you can find any. Their reasons for quitting might be of interest to you," he says. "But I also believe any decision can be made easier with a good drink. Would you like to go downstairs so I can buy you one? It's the least I can do for your... gracious invitation last week."

11. - Top - End - #371

NinjaGuy

[Fayyaad's Room]

Electra smiles at him, amusement dancing in her eyes.

"Perhaps in a bit, but my employment dilemma notwithstanding, I'd also like to take you up on your offer last week of letting me take a look at those weapons you found, if you've still got 'em, before we go downstairs. Maybe I can help you figure out what they're worth, if you're inclined to sell them instead of keep them."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post

"Right. Yes. Keep telling me that. But yeah, I get old. Just kinda slow-like,"
    Adir explains. He watches Ilpholin ponder, and then bobs his head. "We can hit the blacksmith up another time. Um..."

Now that second suggestion is interesting. Adir snorts. "You know her tastes better than I ever did, I guess." He raises his eyebrows. "You think we should go trolling strip clubs?" The stag struggles to keep from laughing. "I'm just... just imagining Sakura's face, if I tried to pitch this to her."

"Tell you what, if we do, maybe I'd better ask if Sakura wants to come along. So she can monitor me. Though I'm sure I'd come out of the evening with a few new bruises..."
    "On the record, you suggested checking them out, not me." Ilpholin nods, definitively clearing her name of actually suggesting they go to strip clubs and leaving Adir high and dry. Though it is hard to believe the truth of that with her silly grin to back it up.

She tilts her head a little. "Are you the kind of man who needs monitoring? Surely you're adult enough to pop in, ask if a friend of yours came through, and step out without it going further than that right? Just don't toss money about and you'll be fine." Everything changes once money gets involved.

"Although, now that I've seen the signs, I do recall Harnetta being something of an adventurer, yes? She might be on an expedition." Ilpholin glances back over to the sign- wait. Wasn't there an adventuring advertisement sign there just a moment ago. She blinks, confused. Ah, well. It was unlikely that Harnetta was on that particular adventure anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    The sign disappears for now, enfolded in its owner's non-detectability.

A note flutters in front of Cass.

And if she looks for where it came from, with another clue she might notice the cowled half-demon now seated at the bar beside her. Or she might not. No need to disturb this Trog's visitor more than necessary if she isn't interested in talking.
    The note is read, flipped over, and summarily passed back. Cass didn't have a pen or visibly write on it in any other way except for briefly pressing her thumb against it, but the reverse side of the note has writing on it all the same, charred directly on to the surface of the paper itself in neat type.

Tell me about the job.

14. - Top - End - #374

Rescue. My partner and our hounds. We were exploring the ruins under the city. They're stuck. Old machinery. Plenty of supplies, but can't get past the security, nother can I, alone.
    It shouldn't be too hard now for Cass to see the figure writing out an answer, back on the front of the paper. Once you have a clear view of them there's nothing odd going on.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

A man in a forest green ghillie suit and balaclava. While it is seen that he is indeed wearing a ghillie suit, it doesn't seem to be the color of any natural terrain, but a uniform green. The glove on his left hand looks metallic. On his back he is carrying an FN SCAR-H with a telescopic sight and reflex sight which is slung over his shoulder and in his holster he has a Colt M1911. In his right hand he is carrying a case and in his left hand he is carrying a small laptop. As soon as he walks in, he goes to the nearest table and out of a hidden compartment pulls out a pair of sunglasses, which he puts on before opening his laptop, which he proceeds to type on although it appears to be off. If anyone goes near him, he whistles at them to attempt to draw their attention.

Spoiler: For those with enhanced sight
    Show
    On all of his gear, there are small red dots in a grid pattern. To the naked eye,
    this cannot be seen.
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2017-07-10 at 03:19 PM.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

"A job? Well, I'm still looking. I mean, I do a bit of battling, with Ben. I don't know about alchemy, though. I just walked around picking up litter before I arrived. Ben didn't even exist; he was just pixels on a screen. A small screen, at that." He smiles at the big yellow-headed walking flower. "He's not a, uh, familiar. He's a Bellsprout, a type of Pokemon. They're a popular game franchise on my world, but don't actually exist for real there. Do here, though. And maybe other places. Anyway. I'm Alfred, this is Ben." After introducing himself, he'll sit down- unless either protest against it. Ben will not sit down, because his spindly little body isn't really built for it. It makes a note to pester Alfred into carrying a pot of earth for him to rest in.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Peppered
    Guest in the Playground

"I'm getting a mercenary job," says Kea, "soon. I need a bit of practice first though. Thinking about checking out the hunting grounds or some such first. Oh, and I need another beer first. Or two or..." She shrugs. "Get a job if you want to. There are plenty a' places around who may need an alchemist, but there's also a ton to do in the Nexus that don't need money neither. Up to you."

((I'd suggest taking a look at the first post on different Nexus threads - they do an excellent job of explaining what is in them and will help you figure out where you want your characters to go.))

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

[Fayyaad's Room]

Fayyaad nods.

"I do still have those weapons. If you could take a look, that'd be appreciated."

He moves over to a chest, where he stored the weapons. Unless his player forgot something, he takes out a plasma-sword, an energy gun and a missile launcher. He lays them out for Electra to examine.

19. - Top - End - #379

NinjaGuy

[Fayyaad's Room]

Electra examines the weapons carefully as Fayyaad lays them out, but her eyes narrow when she sees the massive energy pistol. She gingerly picks it up, and opens the chamber, revealing where the shells he found with it should go. She looks down into it, being careful to keep the muzzle pointed away from Fayyaad, and frowns slightly.

"You said you found these on a job?"

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

It shouldn't be too hard now for Cass to see the figure writing out an answer, back on the front of the paper. Once you have a clear view of them there's nothing odd going on.
    Cassandra nods thoughtfully.

"I can help. How many were you looking to hire?"

21. - Top - End - #381

Time for a new note! The way the paper moves suggests, without outright revealing, the second pair of arms hidden in the quest-giver's voluminous outfit.

It depends on their capabilities, but I think two besides me would likely be enough. What can you do?
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-07-11 at 04:12 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

[Fayyaad's Room]

Fayyaad nods.

"Yes. I was to retrieve a power crystal from a ruined facility. Which turned out to be massive, and filled with enormous guardian machines. I also turned out to concern more than just a power source... that's a long story. The facility had been build to keep someone contained."

23. - Top - End - #383

NinjaGuy

[Fayyaad's Room]

Electra nods, and her frown deepens. There was one other weapon that Fayyaad might have pulled out of the chest: an energy whip. She sets the pistol back on the table, and picks up the sword's hilt, examining it carefully.

"I see. I believe these weapons may have come from my home dimension, though perhaps some time in the future from when I was. That pistol was something that was barely on the experimental drawing board when I left; my lab's armament engineer had called me to get some input on the design a week before the mission that ended with me here in the Nexus. They still hadn't come up with a name for it yet." She grasps the hilt, and activates the beam blade for a moment, examining the thrumming weapon carefully. "This is a fairly standard beam saber, though the hilt is a lot more ornate than the ones I'm used to seeing." She deactivates the weapon and places it back on the table, glancing over the micro-missile launcher. "And that's a fairly standard micro-missile launcher. In terms of worth, I'd say you'd probably get about what something similar from any other world would bring. The beam saber might bring a bit more than what the average lightsaber would, simply because of the hilt. The pistol is the real wildcard; did you happen to find any ammunition for it?"

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Time for a new note! The way the paper moves suggests, without outright revealing, the second pair of arms hidden in the quest-giver's voluminous outfit.
    "I am skilled sorcery and subterfuge," says Cassandra. "If it comes to combat, someone comfortable fighting on the front line may be useful," she suggests.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2017-07-12 at 05:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

J looks startled. "Wait, there are Pokemon here? Wait, of course there are. I need to adjust to being here. The wizard that I was created by used to travel to other worlds all the time. He told me about one where there were Pokemon."

Then J sighs, looking sad. "Of course, the worlds were always random. I'll probably never see him again, unless somehow he were to come here."
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    J looks startled. "Wait, there are Pokemon here? Wait, of course there are. I need to adjust to being here. The wizard that I was created by used to travel to other worlds all the time. He told me about one where there were Pokemon."

Then J sighs, looking sad. "Of course, the worlds were always random. I'll probably never see him again, unless somehow he were to come here."
    The man at the computer looks over at the table the discussion is being had at. "Pokémon? As in the video game? This world has existing video game characters? I was told I was being transported to another client. Should've took a professional service."
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2017-07-12 at 05:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

[At The Table]

A short man with short black hair wearing a business suit walks up to the man with the ghillie suit. He sits down at the table and orders a drink. He looks at the man studying his gear. "I assume you do many... dangerous missions in your field of work?" He is obviously wanting a response.
    Last edited by Green Elf; 2017-07-13 at 07:06 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

[Fayyaad's Room]

"I did," Fayyaad says, nodding. He retrieves the clips he picked up. "I wasn't really sure what to make of it, so I didn't use it."

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    "I am skilled sorcery and subterfuge," says Cassandra. "If it comes to combat, someone comfortable fighting on the front line may be useful," she suggests.
    Well, it seems like the first thing to do is to put the sign back up, where it isn't hidden from curious eyes.
    Adventurers/Explorers
    Help wanted!

Modest reward
    Nexus Sign Language a bonus

Then write a response to Cassandra.
    Sorcery will surely be useful. I agree. There are many dangers in the underground, even if I hope we can avoid them.
    The half-demon takes a look around the bar.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-07-13 at 09:45 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green Elf View Post
    [At The Table]

A short man with short black hair wearing a business suit walks up to the man with the ghillie suit. He sits down at the table and orders a drink. He looks at the man studying his gear. "Your equipment is has quite specific to it. I assume you do many... dangerous missions?" He is obviously wanting a response.
    The man pulls back the safety hammer to his 1911 while keeping it it's holster and says "Are you a cop? I'm just a hunter. Is it wrong to carry weapons here? Because if so, I saw a guy outside with a rocket launcher and another guy with a weapon arm."
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2017-07-13 at 02:27 PM.