New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CCLII

"They exist to accomplish things, and therefore..." Ambrosia starts when Steve's attention suddenly shifts. She personally hadn't noticed the being at all. However, now she could feel nothing but it.

It is not the same. Is her first thought as the studies the meddler. It was the first time she had seen them, yet she could notice a distinct connection to the other concepts she had met. It was more than just them though in a way she couldn't really express in words yet. Definitely worth studying though, it was like meeting Fortuna again, just with less chaos.

The invisible presence on the other hand, is furious, how dared this upstart interfere in her curses!
    It calms itself for a moment however, let's see how this would go down. Maybe those two made a even worse mess out of things?

2. - Top - End - #542
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

[Cursed Table]

The ranger ((does he still have his gear? I've been assuming that.)) is very aware of this and the reactions of the others, especially Ambrosia's. Luvon decides to observe not only the newcomer, but the entire tavern looking for anyone one or anything suspicious. Unless someone can cast long-range, they would have to be inside.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

3. - Top - End - #543

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    "Looks like... Funky Llama might be what you're after," Fayyaad says. "Not that I know what a llama is." He waves a waiter over to order a whole bottle.
    Electra waits to respond until the waiter has gone off to get the order, before commenting.

"A llama, at least, where I'm from, is an animal similar to a small camel with no humps. At least, that's what all the pictures looked like. I never bothered to go actually see one in person, though I'm sure one of the zoos here probably has them, if you're really curious." Making a bit of an assumption there that he knows what a camel is, but if he doesn't, perhaps he'll enlighten her.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

4. - Top - End - #544
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Steve turns around and says "Are you looking for someone or something?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    "They exist to accomplish things, and therefore..." Ambrosia starts when Steve's attention suddenly shifts. She personally hadn't noticed the being at all. However, now she could feel nothing but it.

It is not the same. Is her first thought as the studies the meddler. It was the first time she had seen them, yet she could notice a distinct connection to the other concepts she had met. It was more than just them though in a way she couldn't really express in words yet. Definitely worth studying though, it was like meeting Fortuna again, just with less chaos.

The invisible presence on the other hand, is furious, how dared this upstart interfere in her curses!
    It calms itself for a moment however, let's see how this would go down. Maybe those two made a even worse mess out of things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Elf View Post
    [Cursed Table]

The ranger ((does he still have his gear? I've been assuming that.)) is very aware of this and the reactions of the others, especially Ambrosia's. Luvon decides to observe not only the newcomer, but the entire tavern looking for anyone one or anything suspicious. Unless someone can cast long-range, they would have to be inside.

Cursed Table

A hand swept an auburn bang away from a face, revealing a surprisingly plain, normal looking woman as she turned to meet their gazes. Everything with the Meddler seemed to happen in the past tense, they could get an idea that it had happened, that they had watched it happen, but never actually see her go through the motions. As if whatever she did and said was imposed on reality rather than accomplished by simple muscles and flesh.

"No, I never look, that's the job of my superiors. I'm merely directed to where they want me, less and less these days. But in this case, I've managed to appeal to them on your behalf, because what you might have gone looking for with this one's advice," Ambrosia gets the notion that she'd been gestured at. And she must have, as the hand holding the glass has it outstretched now, as if it had been waved in her direction, "Would not have been enough for a permanent solution. Letting you go through the normal efforts of finding a Concept in the wild or someone who could manifest and summon one for you wouldn't have been a fruitful use of time. Instead, I was sent to bargain for you."
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    Electra waits to respond until the waiter has gone off to get the order, before commenting.

"A llama, at least, where I'm from, is an animal similar to a small camel with no humps. At least, that's what all the pictures looked like. I never bothered to go actually see one in person, though I'm sure one of the zoos here probably has them, if you're really curious." Making a bit of an assumption there that he knows what a camel is, but if he doesn't, perhaps he'll enlighten her.
    Fayyaad's face brightens. He does know what a camel is quite well.

"Interesting. Not sure what such a beast has to do with a drink, but maybe someone was struck with an inspiration."

When the wine arrives, he pours it for Electra and himself.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #546

Fade stands up from the bar and looks around to see if he knows anyone.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Cursed Table

A hand swept an auburn bang away from a face, revealing a surprisingly plain, normal looking woman as she turned to meet their gazes. Everything with the Meddler seemed to happen in the past tense, they could get an idea that it had happened, that they had watched it happen, but never actually see her go through the motions. As if whatever she did and said was imposed on reality rather than accomplished by simple muscles and flesh.

"No, I never look, that's the job of my superiors. I'm merely directed to where they want me, less and less these days. But in this case, I've managed to appeal to them on your behalf, because what you might have gone looking for with this one's advice," Ambrosia gets the notion that she'd been gestured at. And she must have, as the hand holding the glass has it outstretched now, as if it had been waved in her direction, "Would not have been enough for a permanent solution. Letting you go through the normal efforts of finding a Concept in the wild or someone who could manifest and summon one for you wouldn't have been a fruitful use of time. Instead, I was sent to bargain for you."
    Steve says "Thank you very much, but I have one question. Why are you helping us? Believe me, I would love to believe that you would just help us because we need help, but for most people don't do that."
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Cursed Table

Steve says "Thank you very much, but I have one question. Why are you helping us? Believe me, I would love to believe that you would just help us because we need help, but for most people don't do that."
    "A bargain now? That's very kind of you, especially since you didn't name what it was. We need to know what you want, because as everyone knows, a bargain requires something on our end, and removing a very heavy curse, couldn't be the lightest cost." Says the ranger, still looking around.
    "Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!" -Aragorn, Lord of the Rings

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

9. - Top - End - #549

NinjaGuy

Fayyaad's face brightens. He does know what a camel is quite well.

"Interesting. Not sure what such a beast has to do with a drink, but maybe someone was struck with an inspiration."

When the wine arrives, he pours it for Electra and himself.
    Electra shrugs as he pours.

"It could be nearly anything. Perhaps they have fuzzy llamas where the grapes are grown? Hard to say." She takes the glass when he finishes pouring, and sniffs for a moment, before taking a sip. "Mmm, I think Yuki would have liked this. Usually, she wasn't a wine person, but there were a few that she liked, despite herself, and they were all similar to this."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

10. - Top - End - #550

Cursed Table

Ambrosia remains quiet this time, this was Steve and Luvon's moment, and she would let them take the stage while bargaining with this entity. She did not feel any outright malice from it so it should be fine as long as they ere respectful.

11. - Top - End - #551

"A bargain now? That's very kind of you, especially since you didn't name what it was. We need to know what you want, because as everyone knows, a bargain requires something on our end, and removing a very heavy curse, couldn't be the lightest cost." Says the ranger, still looking around.
    Cursed Table

"Convenience, boredom, saving us all a lot of trouble." She said in answer to Steve, wondering visibly why a supposed paladin wouldn't just believe in the goodness and charity of others.

"And I wouldn't be bargaining with you. That defeats the purpose of saving us all a lot of trouble. If I do something for you and then send you on an errand to do something else, it could just spell more trouble and require even more interference on my part. Very counter-intuitive. I'll be bargaining for you with the force that did this to you. Think of me, the Concept of Interference, as your brand new metaphysical solicitor. Working pro bono, just this once." A hand was raised to a cheek, resting that strangely plain, normal face in its palm and looking far too amused at the sound of its own voice. Rare to have a voice of its own.

"There is nothing I could do with a wave of my hand that it could not get around, or that wouldn't cause it endless frustration and convince it to assault anything in its desire for revenge for having its fun ruined. But if it's listening, and there's every chance that it is, then maybe it will be intrigued by an offer of something else, if it lets you two go."
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Electra shrugs as he pours.

"It could be nearly anything. Perhaps they have fuzzy llamas where the grapes are grown? Hard to say." She takes the glass when he finishes pouring, and sniffs for a moment, before taking a sip. "Mmm, I think Yuki would have liked this. Usually, she wasn't a wine person, but there were a few that she liked, despite herself, and they were all similar to this."
    "Sounds like a person of refined taste," Fayyaad observes. "Who was she?" Given what Electra has said so far, she sounds like a close friend, family member or lover.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #553

Cursed Table

An offer? Well, the presence had never been able to resist one before, and it sure didn't want to start now. Hesitation and thought was for the weak!
    "What is your offer then, miss interference?" A voice echos through the tavern, coming from every direction at once which makes it impossible to tell its point of origin, since the presence was everywhere. "I'm listening."

Ambrosia suddenly feels the urge to leave as she almost feel sick when the oily presence of an oni makes itself known. Being close to one god-like being was bad enough, but two making a deal? That could turn out horrible for everyone involved, especially if you weren't a god.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Cursed Table

"Convenience, boredom, saving us all a lot of trouble." She said in answer to Steve, wondering visibly why a supposed paladin wouldn't just believe in the goodness and charity of others.

"And I wouldn't be bargaining with you. That defeats the purpose of saving us all a lot of trouble. If I do something for you and then send you on an errand to do something else, it could just spell more trouble and require even more interference on my part. Very counter-intuitive. I'll be bargaining for you with the force that did this to you. Think of me, the Concept of Interference, as your brand new metaphysical solicitor. Working pro bono, just this once." A hand was raised to a cheek, resting that strangely plain, normal face in its palm and looking far too amused at the sound of its own voice. Rare to have a voice of its own.

"There is nothing I could do with a wave of my hand that it could not get around, or that wouldn't cause it endless frustration and convince it to assault anything in its desire for revenge for having its fun ruined. But if it's listening, and there's every chance that it is, then maybe it will be intrigued by an offer of something else, if it lets you two go."
    "Steve says "Good, so you aren't a devil. I'm sorry, but I don't just trust metaphysical creatures claiming to do good. I could've just detected for truth, but in my current situation it would probably just make you seem more reasonable if you liked."

Cursed Table

An offer? Well, the presence had never been able to resist one before, and it sure didn't want to start now. Hesitation and thought was for the weak!
    "What is your offer then, miss interference?" A voice echos through the tavern, coming from every direction at once which makes it impossible to tell its point of origin, since the presence was everywhere. "I'm listening."

Ambrosia suddenly feels the urge to leave as she almost feel sick when the oily presence of an oni makes itself known. Being close to one god-like being was bad enough, but two making a deal? That could turn out horrible for everyone involved, especially if you weren't a god.
    Steve looks for the voice and says "What's the deal with you? Do you have a score to settle with this woman, or is this just a part of the ever happening cosmic war?"
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2017-08-31 at 10:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555

NinjaGuy

"Sounds like a person of refined taste," Fayyaad observes. "Who was she?" Given what Electra has said so far, she sounds like a close friend, family member or lover.
    "My sister. She, my two brothers, and I were all made at the same time by the same pair of engineers at the same lab, as a series. We all shared an ability similar to telepathy with one another only, it was the defining feature for our series." Electra explains quietly, taking another sip of the wine. "We could share thoughts, feelings, even senses, across any distance, instantaneously. The idea was to bond us together as a squad that could react more quickly than a normal one, and allow more precise threat response. We each were created with different roles. Yuki was our scout and stealth fighter. She could turn invisible, among other things. She was kind and gentle, but very quiet and more than a little shy around people she didn't know." She chuckles, nostalgia in her eyes. "Well, unless she was drunk. Then she was very happy, very clingy, and very, very giggly. I wouldn't say she had refined tastes, more just that she knew what she liked and didn't like, and tended not to stray too far from the formula."

16. - Top - End - #556
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

[Cursed Table]

Just their luck, being cursed while having someone randomly appear, offer to help and a scared scholar who is usually scarily calm.

"If you want to help you have to keep us in on what's happening. We're going to make the decisions."

I'm 8BitNinja's Brother

17. - Top - End - #557

Spoiler
    Show
    Cursed Table

"Steve says "Good, so you aren't a devil. I'm sorry, but I don't just trust metaphysical creatures claiming to do good. I could've just detected for truth, but in my current situation it would probably just make you seem more reasonable if you liked."

Steve looks for the voice and says "What's the deal with you? Do you have a score to settle with this woman, or is this just a part of the ever happening cosmic war?"
    [Cursed Table]

Just their luck, being cursed while having someone randomly appear, offer to help and a scared scholar who is usually scarily calm.

"If you want to help you have to keep us in on what's happening. We're going to make the decisions."

Cursed Table

"I wouldn't bother you with trick offers, such as challenging you to a contest or game for their freedom from your trickery and curses, of course. As tempting as those are, no one comes away from them feeling clean. Instead, I'll offer you like for like, a change of targets to someone you'd actually enjoy messing with." The hand was swept across the table, indicating the three dismissively, "I mean, just look at these two. Nothing learned, nothing earned, already wishing to fight back against their punishments. They're more trouble than anything you could do to them could be worth, and even now their new lots in life barely seem to phase them. No enjoyable reactions, nothing." To Steve and Luvon alone, the callous words seem joking, and the Meddler gives the impression of having winked to the two, but no one else.

"What better than a hand-crafted, artisinal target? Something set to your exact specifications and needs. I suspect you've never tried something so convenient, so responsive among all your victims of opportunity."

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

"My sister. She, my two brothers, and I were all made at the same time by the same pair of engineers at the same lab, as a series. We all shared an ability similar to telepathy with one another only, it was the defining feature for our series." Electra explains quietly, taking another sip of the wine. "We could share thoughts, feelings, even senses, across any distance, instantaneously. The idea was to bond us together as a squad that could react more quickly than a normal one, and allow more precise threat response. We each were created with different roles. Yuki was our scout and stealth fighter. She could turn invisible, among other things. She was kind and gentle, but very quiet and more than a little shy around people she didn't know." She chuckles, nostalgia in her eyes. "Well, unless she was drunk. Then she was very happy, very clingy, and very, very giggly. I wouldn't say she had refined tastes, more just that she knew what she liked and didn't like, and tended not to stray too far from the formula."
    Fayyaad nods.

"Sounds like I'd have enjoyed meeting her."

19. - Top - End - #559

Cursed Table

"Cosmic war?" The presence lets out a giggle. "Don't embarrass yourself now." It then turns back its full attention to the meddler. "What do you mean? The point is for them to suffer and resist. Otherwise it wouldn't be very fun. Like, I didn't even understand what you meant. Like... making a person to curse? I could do that myself you know, but that isn't any fun!"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-09-01 at 07:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Cursed Table

"I wouldn't bother you with trick offers, such as challenging you to a contest or game for their freedom from your trickery and curses, of course. As tempting as those are, no one comes away from them feeling clean. Instead, I'll offer you like for like, a change of targets to someone you'd actually enjoy messing with." The hand was swept across the table, indicating the three dismissively, "I mean, just look at these two. Nothing learned, nothing earned, already wishing to fight back against their punishments. They're more trouble than anything you could do to them could be worth, and even now their new lots in life barely seem to phase them. No enjoyable reactions, nothing." To Steve and Luvon alone, the callous words seem joking, and the Meddler gives the impression of having winked to the two, but no one else.

"What better than a hand-crafted, artisinal target? Something set to your exact specifications and needs. I suspect you've never tried something so convenient, so responsive among all your victims of opportunity."
    Steve looks concerned and asks "Who do you want me to attack? Even if it is something that deserves it, I'm a paladin, I don't just stab people because they inconvenience me. What you are looking for if you want that is an assassin."

Cursed Table

"Cosmic war?" The presence lets out a giggle. "Don't embarrass yourself now." It then turns back its full attention to the meddler. "What do you mean? The point is for them to suffer and resist. Otherwise it wouldn't be very fun. Like, I didn't even understand what you meant. Like... making a person to curse? I could do that myself you know, but that isn't any fun!"
    Steve says to the presence "Do I really need to lecture a supernatural being on religion? For someone who cursed me, you're kind of an embarrassment yourself."
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

21. - Top - End - #561

NinjaGuy

Fayyaad nods.

"Sounds like I'd have enjoyed meeting her."
    Electra nods, grinning.

"I think she'd have enjoyed meeting you. She was never very forward, but I think she and I would have wound up having a friendly competition to see who got to go home with you." The grin turns once more to a nostalgic smile as she takes another sip of the wine. "It used to drive my brother, Sturm, nuts when we'd compete. Usually, he'd step in before things went too far and make us flip a coin or something rather than finishing whatever contest we'd come up with. We were both devastated when we lost him."

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe I would have surprised you all and taken him home," Fayyaad points out. But then Electra's story takes a turn for the serious. "What happened?"

23. - Top - End - #563

NinjaGuy

"Maybe I would have surprised you all and taken him home," Fayyaad points out. But then Electra's story takes a turn for the serious. "What happened?"
    Electra laughs for a moment, before responding with an amused smile.

"Sturm would've been flattered, but politely declined. He was only ever interested in girls when it came to romantic matters, and even then, he was very traditional." Her expression grows more serious and she takes a long sip off of her glass. "As far as what happened, Mavericks managed to divert an old space colony onto a collision course with Earth, my home planet. While the 0th and 17th units scrambled to try and revive a couple of different options for destroying the colony, the rest of the Hunters were put onto evacuation duty, getting humans to hardened shelters, since the mass of the colony made its collision an environmentally altering event. Everyone was scrambled as soon as they came in, and he made it in before Yuki or I did. They assigned him as approach security to one of the shelters close to the drop zone. I was on the other side of the planet, engaged in an investigatory assignment when the scramble order went out, and wound up being assigned to one of the units there, while Yuki was assigned to a shelter further out." She takes another long pull from the glass, then refills it from the bottle, before continuing.

"Long story short, the 0th and 17th failed to completely destroy the colony before it fell. The result of their attacks scattered large pieces through the atmosphere. One of those pieces hit within a meter of Sturm's defensive position, and vaporized everything within a 10 meter radius. It also left a rather large impact crater. He was in contact with both Yuki and I when it happened. There was just...a moment of confusion and a brief instant of pain, and then he went dark." Her voice cracks for an instant, but she regains herself, and goes on. "We only learned later what had happened to him, during the clean-up. The shelter he was guarding managed to survive, though it took some damage. It was mercifully quick, and I'm thankful for that small favor." She pauses for a moment, then takes another long pull from her glass, and wipes the corners of her eyes. "Sorry. In some ways, I'm still processing each of their losses."

24. - Top - End - #564
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Cursed Table

"Why wouldn't that be fun? You would have an infinite supply of helpless people to curse. You wouldn't even have to worry about them removing it." The ranger uses this to buy time and look for any hints on the oni's location.

((Do I still have my gear?))
    Last edited by Green Elf; 2017-09-02 at 11:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

A man about six feet tall walks into the tavern. In an confused voice, he calls out and says "Does anyone here understand me?" He appears obviously confused and a bit frightened.

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    He is wearing a uniform and has an M1 Garand with a bayonet slung over his shoulder. On his back, he is wearing a backpackand on his sleeves are various insignia, but the most notable is one that looks like a green compass with what appears to be a blunted 5 pointed star on each end that is on his right arm. In a holster, he is carrying a 1911 and on his head he is wearing a green helmet. He has black hair and brown eyes and appears to have not shaven in about a week. His clothes are also covered in mud and appear to be wet

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Electra laughs for a moment, before responding with an amused smile.

"Sturm would've been flattered, but politely declined. He was only ever interested in girls when it came to romantic matters, and even then, he was very traditional." Her expression grows more serious and she takes a long sip off of her glass. "As far as what happened, Mavericks managed to divert an old space colony onto a collision course with Earth, my home planet. While the 0th and 17th units scrambled to try and revive a couple of different options for destroying the colony, the rest of the Hunters were put onto evacuation duty, getting humans to hardened shelters, since the mass of the colony made its collision an environmentally altering event. Everyone was scrambled as soon as they came in, and he made it in before Yuki or I did. They assigned him as approach security to one of the shelters close to the drop zone. I was on the other side of the planet, engaged in an investigatory assignment when the scramble order went out, and wound up being assigned to one of the units there, while Yuki was assigned to a shelter further out." She takes another long pull from the glass, then refills it from the bottle, before continuing.

"Long story short, the 0th and 17th failed to completely destroy the colony before it fell. The result of their attacks scattered large pieces through the atmosphere. One of those pieces hit within a meter of Sturm's defensive position, and vaporized everything within a 10 meter radius. It also left a rather large impact crater. He was in contact with both Yuki and I when it happened. There was just...a moment of confusion and a brief instant of pain, and then he went dark." Her voice cracks for an instant, but she regains herself, and goes on. "We only learned later what had happened to him, during the clean-up. The shelter he was guarding managed to survive, though it took some damage. It was mercifully quick, and I'm thankful for that small favor." She pauses for a moment, then takes another long pull from her glass, and wipes the corners of her eyes. "Sorry. In some ways, I'm still processing each of their losses."
    Fayyaad listens, with a serious expression.

"That's fine. I... can't really relate, but I empathize. And I'll listen if it helps you to talk about it. Sounds like he died doing his duty, at least."

27. - Top - End - #567

NinjaGuy

Fayyaad listens, with a serious expression.

"That's fine. I... can't really relate, but I empathize. And I'll listen if it helps you to talk about it. Sounds like he died doing his duty, at least."
    Electra nods, and gives him a wistful smile.

"Thanks. It does help, and he was doing his duty. We all were. It was war, after all, I just...I don't know." She gets a faraway look in her eyes for a moment, then downs the rest of her glass, and refills it once more. "To have lost both him and Yuki in the same year...it was just awful."

28. - Top - End - #568

A man about six feet tall walks into the tavern. In an confused voice, he calls out and says "Does anyone here understand me?" He appears obviously confused and a bit frightened.

Spoiler: Description
    Show
    He is wearing a uniform and has an M1 Garand with a bayonet slung over his shoulder. On his back, he is wearing a backpackand on his sleeves are various insignia, but the most notable is one that looks like a green compass with what appears to be a blunted 5 pointed star on each end that is on his right arm. In a holster, he is carrying a 1911 and on his head he is wearing a green helmet. He has black hair and brown eyes and appears to have not shaven in about a week. His clothes are also covered in mud and appear to be wet
    A woman with violently pink hair wearing an old, beat up bombardier jacket over the absolutely unmistakable blue-and-yellow VaulTek uniform immediately perks up upon noticing the newcomer and his question. People who have been in the Nexus for any length of time never ask questions like that.

Never.

She raises a hand and motions him over.

"World War two, right? That's an Uno- eerr... an American World War two uniform, right? How long ago did you notice that something strange was going on?" Geneva asks, already fiddling with her wrist-mounted computer. She's restraining herself right now, if only because the poor guy looks pretty spooked. It feels like it has been forever since she was on the ground-floor for a new arrival, and they always have a wealth of new data on trans-universal bridges that she can pour over. She hasn't pulled any equipment out of her inventory just yet. Some people get a bit... unnerved? When someone yanks bulky diagnostic equipment out of nowhere.

She'll just have to chat with the guy for a bit.

That usually helps newcomers.

Especially when the person talking to them knows at least something about their home universe.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2017-09-03 at 11:18 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    A woman with violently pink hair wearing an old, beat up bombardier jacket over the absolutely unmistakable blue-and-yellow VaulTek uniform immediately perks up upon noticing the newcomer and his question. People who have been in the Nexus for any length of time never ask questions like that.

Never.

She raises a hand and motions him over.

"World War two, right? That's an Uno- eerr... an American World War two uniform, right? How long ago did you notice that something strange was going on?" Geneva asks, already fiddling with her wrist-mounted computer. She's restraining herself right now, if only because the poor guy looks pretty spooked. It feels like it has been forever since she was on the ground-floor for a new arrival, and they always have a wealth of new data on trans-universal bridges that she can pour over. She hasn't pulled any equipment out of her inventory just yet. Some people get a bit... unnerved? When someone yanks bulky diagnostic equipment out of nowhere.

She'll just have to chat with the guy for a bit.

That usually helps newcomers.

Especially when the person talking to them knows at least something about their home universe.
    The man looks at her and says "Yes ma'am, this is the second World War, or as far as I can remember. I am Corporal Gary Davidson of the 4th Infantry Division of the US Army. I noticed things become different about 6 hours ago. I was near Ardennes, although I couldn't tell you for the life of me where exactly, and we ended up engaging with German forces near the area. During the fight, I fell over and one of their potato mashers landed near my face. I rolled over and heard the grenade go off. When I opened my eyes, there were no MG42s firing at our position or any German aircraft flying overhead. I also couldn't find my unit. I figure now they are counting me as KIA. I know for a fact that I hadn't died, because for the whole hike here, which looked like the French country, All I was feeling was cold and pain. When I got here at this tavern, I thought that maybe I could find someone to help me get back in contact with my unit." Gary pauses for a second and says "Are you American, Canadian, British, or are you just really good at speaking English and you are French or Belgian?" He then realizes how long he has been talking and says "Oh, sorry for talking so long, I'm just kind of worried."

30. - Top - End - #570

Geneva nods, listening intently as she sub-vocalizes a few commands to her PipGear. Trans-Atlantic Geography wasn't exactly her strong suite. Sure, she knows the names from back home, but she can't recall off the top of her head what the 'Earth-Prime' ones were. By inference, though, she's pretty sure that the solider is referring to Kalos when he's speaking of France. A quick Internet search quickly confirms her suspicion. Excellent. She'll just need to keep the names straight to prevent this from getting even more confusing than it already is.

"So it was immediately after a traumatic experience that would typically result in death, interesting..." Geneva mutters to herself. "That's..."

She issues a few more mental commands to her wrist computer.

"Twelve percent of self-reported bridgings? Don't think I have any direct data on one of those yet."

The odd woman glances up from the device on her wrist and offers her best comforting smile. "Don't worry, there's nothing unusual about being worried in a situation like yours. It's perfectly normal to feel some degree of anxiety to find yourself in such, ah, unusual company."

He hasn't reacted oddly to any of the... less human members of the tavern? Or maybe he just hasn't noticed them.

Or can't notice them.

That wouldn't be unprecedented.

"I'm American, from up-state New York," Geneva replies conversationally. "Geneva Richards, a pleasure to meet you Mister Davidson. Where are you from?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.