New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New Wizard Build

Quote Originally Posted by tiornys View Post
    Yes. This is why Color Spray is a good power. But it's not head and shoulders above all of the other heroic-tier encounter powers. It has plenty of competition and there are good reasons to select other powers.
    Agreed. And also, after comparing color spray with maze of mirrors, I found that Maze of Mirrors is the same, if not better for this character.
    How am I the tactician when my answers specified enchantment !?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

I started in a ruined castle with a tiefling warlock attacking.Hack and slash party

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Indeed, and since you have provided zero examples to the contrary, I restate that it is hands-down the best encounter power wizards get at heroic tier.
    Providing specific examples wasn't necessary for the point I was making. It's not like it's hard to go look at the various other Sky Blue rated powers: Grasping Shadows, Illusory Obstacles, Twilight Falls, Maze of Mirrors, Charm of the Defender, Phantom Foes, and Twist of Space. Twilight Falls is decidedly weaker than Color Spray and Twist of Space is usually better; everything else is comparable pending campaign tendencies and specific builds. I think Icy Rays is comparable also, but then I think Icy Rays tends to get underrated.

It's hardly the only class that gets a L3 power that blows the rest out of the water; e.g. the sorcerer's Flame Spiral is another example.
    Standout L3 powers are off-action powers on classes that don't get many off-action powers, or multi-taps on classes that don't get many multi-taps. Color Spray is neither of these things.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think color spray is really good, but like most controller powers, depends heavily on your party. "Hands down best" is inaccurate.

I like your current build a lot more dadada. I hope it's fun to play!
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    I think color spray is really good, but like most controller powers, depends heavily on your party.
    Ok, that's fair.

I've found immobilizing spells to be very good on the first round of combat, but mostly ineffective on the second round (or if you roll low on initiative), because the enemy you want to immobilize will likely already be in melee. That does mean that if you pop a daily on the first round, the immob will basically go unused.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's the definition:

Immobilized

The creature can't move, unless it teleports or is pulled, pushed, or slid.

An immobilized creature can't reposition itself on the battle grid, but it's not paralyzed. It can still stand up when it's prone, pull an item from a backpack, or attack normally. It might have taken a serious, but temporary, injury to the legs, or it could be stuck to the ground by a huge cobweb.

A creature wrapped up in animated vines might be restrained instead (see below); that condition imposes more restrictions on the creature's ability to attack and defend itself. A creature that is actually paralyzed, such as by the bite of a ghoul, might be stunned rather than immobilized or restrained.

Wizard Attack 3 Maze of Mirrors

You envelop your enemies in an illusory labyrinth of mirrors, which conceals the world around them.

Encounter Arcane, Illusion, Implement

Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares

Target: Each creature in the burst

Attack: Intelligence vs. Will

Hit: The target is immobilized and takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Miss: The target is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Just clearing things up for people who don't have AP, HotFL, or the Compendium who want to join the discussion.
    How am I the tactician when my answers specified enchantment !?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

I started in a ruined castle with a tiefling warlock attacking.Hack and slash party