New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anger of the Morally Upstanding People [IC]

Surprised by the sudden end of combat.

She stands, suddenly aware of her crouched stance, heart thumping in her chest. Standing, she looked around almost in dissapointment.

"well, that was quick." she said wryly.

She turns to the door and yells out loudly "all good in here, you can come in!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadwisa

"You're complaining you've killed the thing too fast? You soldier types are weird.
    I'm more interested in what this place is. It's probably old, at least that dwarf looked pretty old and who knows how long he's been here."

Hadwisa looks around and tries to see what this place is all about. And she'll take a look around to find anything interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge history: (1d20+9)[11]
    Perception: (1d20+1)[15]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Hadwisa
    Show
    Your search reveals little among the shattered bits of stone strewn over the floor...at first.

In the corner of the room, beneath a few broken pieces of stone, lies a dust-covered but clearly well-made warhammer, itself decorated with small images of the same hammer that is present on the wall of the structure.

A muffled exchange comes from outside and, a moment later, Anevia enters with Aravashnial, Horgus close behind them.

"What happened?" The blind elf asks, as Anevia leads him through the entryway into the main room, almost stumbling over some of the stone littering the floor.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadwisa

"Some dwarf that seemed dead came to life and attacked us. Church and Brigadyr put him back to rest. My guess is that he was some sort of undead. A disgusting, unnatural undead.
    Oh, and i've found some sort of hammer here. It's got the same drawings as this building. Does any of you recognize the image?"

Hadwisa tries to see if the hammer's magical.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic
    Last edited by Steckie; 2017-05-08 at 01:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Hadwisa
    Show
    The hammer is not magical.

"An undead?" Aravashnial says, with some small measure of shock. "These caverns are more dangerous than I realized. Be sure to sever its head, and bring the remains out of this place. Whatever caused it to animate may be tied to this structure somehow," he continues quickly, straightening somewhat, his tone growing a touch firmer. As he speaks, he gestures, presumably meaning to indicate the fallen beast, but instead pointing at a scuffed portion of the stone floor.

"The symbol of this place...I think it's Torag's," Anevia says slowly, her gaze moving off to the debris-covered floor rather than looking at anyone present, shoulders tensing slightly as her brows furrow.

Horgus doesn't seem to notice, looking around the room in visible distaste as he enters. "What a mess," he says, then stops to stare as his eyes go to the dwarf. He takes a step back. "It came to life?! You're sure it's dead now though, right? I think the elf has a point, cut its head off to be sure!"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Brigadyr scratches her head. "Well, the heart wants what the heart wants..." Then cuts off the dwarf's.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Church was about to cut the things head off, but, she just watch grimly as Brigadyr did so, and probably much more efficiently.

She nodded at the apparent wisdom, it seemed fair enough.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Aravashnial nods at the sound of the beheaded un-undead dwarf's body slumping back to the floor, then shifts his head from side to side, as if casting a look about the room. "Anything else here?" He asks. "Any ways beyond here, in the other area? We should keep moving," the elf continues, and Horgus nods, himself nudging a broken piece of stone away from him with one foot.

"He's right. My time is valuable, and wasting it in whatever place this is, is...not good," the nobleman says, turning back towards the way out, taking a step before stopping. "Er. Of course, someone more, ah, well-equipped, should go in front."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadwisa

"While i completely agree that we should probably hurry back to the surface, we may want to do something about the dwarf.
    We probably shouldn't leave a dead and decapitated dwarf to rot in a temple of Torag. We're trying to get back up and do something in the fight going on there and insulting a god by leaving his temple a mess might be a bad idea.
    We should at least drag the body out. Maybe burry it if we have the tools for it?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Church nods in assent. "This is a good idea, " she thinks for a moment about Torags ceremonies, seeing if she recalls anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    K religion - (1d20+5)[20]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Church
    Show
    Torag has several burial rites; which is used is determined by the life of the one being buried, preferring to keep the body in some form of well-made coffin or tomb, whenever possible. However, it is acceptable to burn a corpse that cannot be properly put to rest, and the bones then interred when circumstances allow. These prescriptions are for the faithful; enemies deserve no such honor, their remains being disposed of in whatever manner is most practical. Often, this means unmarked graves.

"It's best to respect holy places, even if they're in a place like this," Anevia says, helping Aravashnial towards the door to be out of the way, as Horgus softly says something like "As long as it doesn't take too long..." and follows.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadwisa

"Alright, let's first get him outside." Hadwisa says. She walks over to the body, looks at him for a moment and then changes her mind. She picks up the head and starts to walk out of the building.
    "I'll take this part."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Church nods absentmindedly.

"I'm not sure how to do this, I can recall how Torag followers do burial's, however, it depends on if the person was honorable or not...I would not like to offend a deity."
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-05-18 at 11:29 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #104

Brigadyr, as some of the group carries the corpse outside, remains in the room with their charges, just in case some other surprise emerges.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

It takes some time, but eventually a compromise between practical and religious concerns is met; the dwarf's remains are placed in a cairn made of the broken stone that was scattered inside the structure, piled in a way to properly cover the corpse as best as possible with the limited materials. Anevia seems slightly distracted for some of the process, but eventually returns to more alert state, keeping watch on the entrance to the cave until the matter is complete, leaving only the question of what to do with the hammer Hadwisa found.

Once this matter is settled, the group reassembles its earlier formation, leaving the oddly-lit cave and heading forwards through the path not taken earlier, a natural-looking way through the stone that leaves room for nothing but single-file movement, lit by the magic at the group's disposal and nothing else. It's quite some time - nearly another hour - before the route changes meaningfully, opening up into a cavern of comfortable size - about forty feet wide, extending another 35 before it narrows to a single, small way further ahead. At the edge of the light, odd shapes stand out on the walls, appearing to be carvings when fully illuminated. They cover the walls; depictions of what seem to be armored humanoids, relatively crude holy symbols adorning them, each bearing an expression somewhere between sorrowful and resigned.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Church sees the odd carved figures and notes them to the group, but otherwise ignores them, they were carvings, did they need to check each and every small detail?

She thought not, and moved on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Passing through the narrow way forwards, Church finds herself entering another, larger chamber. Up ahead, another natural tunnel seems to go forwards; but this cavern isn't as empty as the last. A bedroll, with a relatively neat but visibly well-used look, lies next to the remains of what once was some sort of campfire. Not far off, near the wall to the left of the way in, a dwarven body lies motionless on the ground, face down, a number of head-sized stones lying on the ground around it.

18. - Top - End - #108

Brigadyr does as Brigadyr does, which is search for evil in these deeply foreboding halls.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Church frowns.

Another dwarf? she muses to herself.

She turns to the rest of the party and describes the scene. "WE HAVE ANOTHER DWARF!" surprising herself with her volume.

It definitely was strange.

She searches for tracks around the dwarf and its strange stones, sniffing the air for anything stranger still.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival - (1d20+7)[23] + Scent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadwisa

"Another dead dwarf.....
    I'll do the same thing we did before."
    Hadwisa says and she picks up a stone to throw at the dwarf. She keeps throwing from a distance until she hits the body.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Church
    Show
    The cavern has a noticeable smell to it; the dwarf clearly stayed in here for quite a while.

There's nothing else of note - apart from, perhaps, the lack of any scent of decay that would indicate the dwarf to be dead for an extended period.

Spoiler: Brigadyr
    Show
    No evil here.

Hadwisa's rocks hit their mark, but the dwarf remains unmoving.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Church frowns....she seemed to be doing that a lot recently.

"This dwarf...I think this dwarf is freshly dead....or even perhaps not?" she asks the last part as a question, the cavern stunk of the dwarf, must have been here for a while "I can't smell any decay here."

Looking at the dwarf, to decide if it was faking it, she decides and then if happy she will move forward and then attempt to heal the dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast guidance before both checks
    Sense Motive - (1d20+9)[10] to see if he is faking

Then if she thinks he isn't she goes to try to help him with her healing kit.
    Heal - (1d20+10)[28]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadwisa

"Hmmph, looks pretty dead to me.
    If he's dead we should at the very least take his bedroll with us. Don't know how long we'll be down here, we might need the thing."

Hadwisa nudges the dwarf with her foot, just to be sure.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

For a moment, Church is convinced that she sees the dwarf move - a slight shift, an intake of breath...proof that he's alive. But, as she comes closer, the illusion fades - he lacks a pulse, and after a moment's thought the half-orc woman comes to the conclusion that he probably isn't actually living after all. This inspection also reveals that the dwarf was fairly well-equipped, with a crossbow, various pouches and similar strapped to his person.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Church regards the dwarf and then turns to the others.

"Well, he's definitely dead. Though what killed him, I am unsure."

She then takes the crossbow, and bolts from the dwarf, riffling through anything else he might have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadwisa

"Take everything he has. It's probably disrespectfull, but in the face of a demonic invasion going on i think we'll be forgiven.
    And what's with those dwarves down here? I haven't even heard rumours about tunnels down here, if there's people here there should at least be rumours going around. People talk."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

She nods as she casts detect magic on the items and the stones around the dwarf.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Church's search finds that the dwarf's cloak, while fairly dirty and with clear signs of a lack of proper mending, holds a faint magical aura. Further 'digging' reveals two sturdy metal vials, stoppered and with their own faint magical auras, as well as half a dozen opened, empty ones without signs of magic. Other pouches contain scrolls, in somewhat tattered condition and covered with illegible scribblings that, in two cases, have magical auras. His other possessions of note are a single dagger and a small pouch of jangling coins; eight platinum pieces, slightly bent (likely by past recipients testing their legitimacy) and seven gold.

The dwarf's ranged weapon has the build and weight of a light crossbow, with ten bolts in his possession (not counting two which are broken, in another pouch).

29. - Top - End - #119

Brigadyr idly taps her foot against the ground, and keeps an eye on the inactive members of the group.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadwisa

Hadwisa eagerly awaits the results of the search Church is doing. Hopefully there's something to help them get out of these caves.
    She quietly walks over to Horgus.
    "So uum. I'd just like to say that.... Well the thing is...... I was probably a bit unfriendly to you back in the first cave. Maybe it's the shock about what happened. Or i'm just not that good with people.....I'm probably not very good at first impressions.
    What i'm trying to say with this rambling is that i'm sorry. I shouldn't have called you Horgus Worm."