New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default If you were a warrior on a fantasy land, what weapon would you use?

I think I would use a crossbow, I hate how ASoIAf make it looks like it's a weapon for cowards, it is such a badass weapon in my opinion.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: If you were a warrior on a fantasy land, what weapon would you use?

Much also depends on what is meant by "a warrior on a fantasy land" - there are distinct advantages to every sort of weapon except maybe the sword (where the main advantage is that it doesn't particularly suck at anything even if it isn't specatcular when compared to other weapons in any given area), and what kind of fighting you're going to be doing makes a big difference. A soldier in an army will do well with a crossbow. By contrast, a ranger type would be better off with an ordinary bow as a ranged weapon - a decent crossbow is far more complicated and more difficult to deal with if something breaks, while a bow can be replaced relatively easily if you know what you are doing.

Of course, you're going to want to use more than just a bow or crossbow. Using any one weapon is suicidally stupid for somebody who actually expects to fight. That's why the sword was so popular - it made an excellent secondary weapon for the folks using other, more generally practical, weaponry.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

What kind of technology are we at in this fantasy land? Makes a huge difference in weapons choice. Swords and other light slashing weapons were typically not used as slashing weapons except against unarmored opponents as even a stout jacket of hardened leather would deflect them. If we are talking 1400s era we see a proliferation of heavy plate armors and great weapons and polearms are the weapon of the day. They aren't trying to be fast, just hard hitting. A little later you will see rapiers and light weapons as gunpowder has almost made heavy armor go extinct. If we go back in time to Rome/Greece it depends on who we are fighting with. Vs Romans the Dacians were devastating with their two handed Falx blades. In mass a Greek spear phalanx could stop almost anyone of their day.

Personally I will take power armor and a plasma rifle.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A spear.

Most melee reach, easily craft-able, easily repairable, just need to stab forward, simple, practical. Bows need lots of skill, crossbows are too complex,and swords are a nobles weapon which means expensive if I recall.

I would have a morning star as backup though.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

Depends on what you mean by this. Do you mean what weapon would we use because we know we are characters? Are we proficient in the weapon? Do we get the ability to use the weapon, I mean muscles and reflexes and what not?

Do we get say, an unlimited supply of ammo for instance. Or do we get the knowledge to make the ammo?

Does the weapon have to be a real weapon or can it be one from a fantasy setting?

By fantasy land, do you mean a historical place like Grethawk, fearun, Ompa lumpa land,... or Fantasia?

From the lack of description, I would say I would want the phaser from star wars. Was a good weapon. Seemed to not need to be recharged, or reloaded. Seem easy enough to fix most of thee time. Could also be pretty utilitarian if I remember correctly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming fantasyland is anything like planet earth, then the obvious choice would be spear. The king of all weapons. Fast, agile, long reach, good (light) armor penetration, and causing wounds much more deadly than a sword or axe slash.

The only downside is that you have to carry it in your hand all the time and you get problems in cramped spaces. But once they are cramped enough, you actually get a huge advantage again.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #7

A partizan! A partizan with a crossbow on it! The greatest weapon ever invented!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming a fairly generic fantasy setting, I would probably agree with the others who have already suggested a spear. Considering my lack of good co-ordination, anything ranged is out of the question, and spears are much easier to handle than a sword. If it is more of a renaissance era fantasy setting, I might trade up for a Bill, Partizan or other polearm instead.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It depends largely on what I'd be fighting.

Giant monsters? Probably crossbow & boar spear (or a more specialized equivalent).

Goblins? Probably a short sword & a large/light shield. I'll have the reach advantage even with a shorter blade, and it'd be faster. You don't need to deal a ton of damage to kill a goblin, and the shield doesn't have to be super thick to block their attacks. Probably with a nice shield boss on the shield to bash them. Maybe a crank driven crossbow (not much power - but again - you don't need it).

Against goblins the spear would be too much. You'd kill the first one, but then you'd be swarmed.

I think that different beasties would have different things which would work well against them.
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2017-05-17 at 02:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

All the weapons I've been trained to use and get my hands on. To elaborate: I've been trained to shoot with assault rifles, light anti-tank rockets, pistols, hunting rifles and shotguns. I have some ability to construct and shoot a bow. I have some training in karate, kobudo and judo and basic training in krav maga, as well as basic security training. These include techniques for unarmed combat, knives, staff, sai, batons, sickles, nunchaku, pepper spray and handcuffs.

So I'm pretty sure there will be something to use pretty much regardless of place and era.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

If we're assuming our native level of martial proficiency, a spear or glaive. Or a short bow, I'm a decent bow shot.

12. - Top - End - #12

Too many people are going with polearms, I gotta be different.... I'd have a warhammer! A long two-handed warhammer that's definitely not a polearm but basically a polearm and also has a spike at the top! Nyah!

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

Wand of nukes, was featured in Dragon magazine 25 years ago or so. That makes it legit!

14. - Top - End - #14

Spear, the oldest, most reliable and versatile weapon we ever developed. You can throw it, you can stab with it, you can use the shaft as a blunt instrument and it's as useful both for hunting, for fishing and for fighting.
    If it's a fantasy world and it can be enchanted to do all sort of cool things, that's even better.
    Last edited by Kalmageddon; 2017-05-17 at 03:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A ZAKT-8 Ultimate Edge is the only way to go.
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

If I'm in my scrawny real body:
    *Light or hand crossbow
    *Recurve bow
    *Rapier
    If I had some real muscle:
    *Longsword: Fairly versatile. As a slashing weapon they spell doom for an unarmored opponent; used in the half-sword or mordhau style they can defeat heavily armored opponents
    *Pike/glaive
    *Greatsword/Zweihander
    *Hammer of any variety
    If we stretch the definition of weapon:
    *Magic
    If magic weapons count:
    *Sun Blade
    *Staff of Striking
    *Javelin of Lightning
    *Any of the magical maces
    *Dancing Sword

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

A smaller, more competent warrior in one hand and a hefty bribe in the other.

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

Pollaxe or Axe for the ridiculous amount of plate I will come across.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A state of the art military fighter jet. You know, Da Plane!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'll put myself down for a polearm of some sort, for the same reason as Sgt Colon likes a pike: "Everything happens at the other end, i.e. a long way away."

Obviously, I'd need a secondary weapon for close quarters. Shortsword would probably be the least dangerous (to me) choice for that.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

If I had my choice of fantasy lands and weapons, I'd chose the long-range missile/teleporting missile weapons and a heavily armored planetary base.

However, you probably mean medieval fantasy, so...

I have the most experience using a two-handed spear, but that's not really where I'd want to be on the battlefield.

I'd rather be in the back with a longbow, or up on the castle walls with a crossbow, where the likelihood of getting stabbed is lower.

If I had a lot of time to train, I'd prefer the recurve bow and a fast horse, fighting the way that the mongols did.

Also, remember that even if you are slightly small by today's standards, you're probably of above average height for medieval warriors. Whether that carries over to fantasy lands is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmageddon View Post
    If it's a fantasy world and it can be enchanted to do all sort of cool things, that's even better.
    Unfortunately, it seems like swords get all the cool enchantments.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-05-17 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The majority of an adventurer's job is not to fight, it is to travel. Thus, a sword is extremely practical because it can be put in a sheath and left alone.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

23. - Top - End - #23

For everyone who is saying spears. That's boring. What kind of spear? And why?

I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

A summonable combat pet, possibly contained within an easily conveyed small magic sphere of some sort that I could use to unleash it at will against my adversaries.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems like swords get all the cool enchantments.
    Not entirely. Odin's spear is definitely magical. Cuchulainn's Gae Bolg isn't precisely magical in the D&D sense perhaps, but it's certainly an extraordinary weapon. Achilles' spear again isn't magical per say, but it's repeatedly noted as exceptional, and IIRC is the only weapon in the Iliad to get its own epithet.

On topic, it very much depends on the time, and also place. If the approximate technology level is in the 3000BC ~ 1200 AD timespan, a spear with shield and sword backup made of the best materials available is a good bet in a lot of places, though definitely not all. After that more advanced polearms become a better bet.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Presuming I have enough strength to wield it properly, I always thought Bardiches were badass.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

give me a spear and a nice big kite shield please. Let me tuck a handaxe in my belt while i'm at it. and a nice seax as well.
    Warning, this poster makes frequent use of jokes, snarks, and puns. He is mostly harmless and intends no offense.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Any footwear I can both deliver a good kick with and run away in. Focus on the latter.

... I wouldn't make a very good warrior actually. Maybe a martial artist monk so my hands and feet? I mean in fantasy land, they are probably at least as good as any steel weapon.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    For everyone who is saying spears. That's boring. What kind of spear? And why?
    I've always fancied pikes and naginatas. They're fairly simple and light, and are thus easy to use but still quite deadly. Also, as 2-handed spears, they are the same sort of weapon that I have experience using in LARP settings.

I've always found that without a dedicated formation, a one-handed spear is too unwieldy to be much good against sword-wielding enemies. They can simply parry your first stab, possibly grab the spear shaft, and then move in closer than your effective range, all before you can reposition the spear for a second attempt. A two-handed spear can be more easily re-positioned for a second thrust because of the leverage gained by using two hands. Do other people have differing experiences?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

30. - Top - End - #30

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post

From the lack of description, I would say I would want the phaser from star wars. Was a good weapon. Seemed to not need to be recharged, or reloaded. Seem easy enough to fix most of thee time. Could also be pretty utilitarian if I remember correctly.
    No one's going to jump on this?

Everyone loses one geek cred.

Phasers were from Star Trek.
    Blasters were from Star Wars.

Not sure which you actually meant. Blasters were mostly used as weapons and have unlimited ammo in most video games.

The Dominion War in ST:DS9 gives us more background on the phasers namely they have power packs and need them replaced and recharge. This does not come up much outside of war as the power pack's life span is longer than the average away mission. Also phasers are not constantly being fired on typical away missions. There's one episode were the Major Kira is explaining to a new solider the pros and cons of the federation phaser vs the Cardassian disruptor. The federation's has in excess of 15 settings and various power level allowing it to vaporize walls to substituting for a surgical knife. Kira dismisses the Federation's weapon as too complicated for war and recommends the two setting disruptor.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.