New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Any news about trabadour getting survival patch he needs or i need to homebrew one.
    Can you elaborate? Not trying to be rude, just don't know what it needs patched in terms of survival
    Last edited by Tariyan Draegr; 2017-12-08 at 06:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tariyan Draegr View Post
    Can you elaborate? Not trying to be rude, just don't know what it needs patched in terms of survival
    well trabadour needs more tropes and maybe 5 more talents but i asked to learn about ETA for champions of spheres errata? currently it feels like half baked cake in the cooking competition.
    small list of things trabadour can use in errata
    1. buff to disguise check either equal to or half what vigilante gets
    2.option to play mage type characters( I thing there is bit of ambiguity in wording and i cant see the 10 talents we get in the beta files)
    3 other story telling options like harlequins. old masters( alternative to mentor instead of getting channel gains conscript level talents)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Bugbear in the Playground

well trabadour needs more tropes and maybe 5 more talents but i asked to learn about ETA for champions of spheres errata? currently it feels like half baked cake in the cooking competition.
    2.option to play mage type characters( I thing there is bit of ambiguity in wording and i cant see the 10 talents we get in the beta files)
    3 other story telling options like harlequins. old masters( alternative to mentor instead of getting channel gains conscript level talents)
    I am not a Dev for Spheres of Might, but it is my understanding that an updated Champions of the Spheres pdf will be released sometime today (provided that the artwork for the NPC chapter is completed); and unless there are suddenly more glaring errors found in the book, it will be "last" version (as Adam Meyers wants to have both Spheres of Might and Champions of the Spheres released by Christmas).

As for the Troubadour, I have always seen it as the Hedgewitch of the Sphere Champions classes (which means that it will likely get alot of support in supplements and expansions).

4. - Top - End - #934

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    I've noticed that technically getting into the SoM system through an Associated Feat swap doesn't actually let you get Martial Focus, as it is limited to "A character who has the combat training class feature, the Extra Combat Talent feat, or who has gained a combat talent progression by some other means can achieve martial focus." Getting a combat talent through a feat swap is neither the combat raining class feature, the Extra Combat Talent feat (it bypasses that entirely), nor is it a combat talent progression, it is simply a free talent in exchange for a feat you would have gotten otherwise. I'm hoping this is merely an oversight in the text for who can gain Martial Focus, and not an intended limitation.
    That's depending on what the associated feat is associated of. If it is a base sphere then I would expect it to grant martial focus. If it is not a base sphere, you aren't eligible for the exchange, unless you have the base sphere already. Which would have normally granted the martial focus already.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

5. - Top - End - #935

Daemon

Will there be a "Complete Spheres" book which contains the final versions of the three main Spheres books w/ complete errata once CoS is fully errata'd?
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

6. - Top - End - #936

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    Will there be a "Complete Spheres" book which contains the final versions of the three main Spheres books w/ complete errata once CoS is fully errata'd?
    I personally wouldn't want to see a 'Complete Spheres' book until all the sphere handbooks are complete.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wartex1 View Post
    I hope so but we gonna still need the book about excelence part since champions of spheres was addon to spheres of might( current spend talent to gain ranks works perfect for excellence gimnick) so when we see the next kickstarter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

8. - Top - End - #938

Imp

Zodiac Tattoo.

I can only use it to add armor special abilities, not straight enhancement bonuses, correct? Furthermore, the +6 limit is only to take into account that you are assumed to already be at a +1, correct? Speaking of which, you only pay for the increase in enhancement bonus from +1 to +6, but not the original cost of the +1 leather armor, correct?

As a corrollary, if I add an armor special ability that increases the enhancement bonus of my armor (Defiant, Bloodthirsty), does that enhancement bonus increase apply to touch and flat-footed if I am using the armor bonus from Unarmored Training?

9. - Top - End - #939
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    If it is a base sphere then I would expect it to grant martial focus.
    RAW that simply isn't true though, which is the problem. That's my whole point, that there is an oversight in the wording of who is able to gain martial focus.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

So far things I've noticed.

1) Alchemy sphere doesn't get poison use. Now I do see that the new version of it doesn't hold the chance to poison itself, but there should be some way of getting poison use for non-sphere poisons.

2) The Barroom basic is trying to be Throw anything + catch off guard. Should this count as those feats for purposes of other improvised weapon feats, or say something like the Fighter's trained throw ability?

3) Drunken Boxer - Would this count as Improved Unarmed Strike allowing you to take feats for that but only while drunk?

4) Unchained Rogue + SoM archetype - What happens to their weapon finesse?

5) Athletics - Wall stunt - Leap - Isn't this kind of unusuable? Swift actions can only be done on your turn for one, so you can't really use it there. Even feather fall is an immediate action.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

11. - Top - End - #941
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    So far things I've noticed.

4) Unchained Rogue + SoM archetype - What happens to their weapon finesse?

5) Athletics - Wall stunt - Leap - Isn't this kind of unusuable? Swift actions can only be done on your turn for one, so you can't really use it there. Even feather fall is an immediate action.
    4) You keep Weapon Finesse

5) You're still falling even when it's your turn, and you can use it for things like Leaping at a wall in a back-alley, wall stunt, and then leap at the opposite wall allowing you to get on the roof of the building despite the fact it's two jumps high
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2017-12-09 at 09:39 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

12. - Top - End - #942
    Barbarian in the Playground

RAW that simply isn't true though, which is the problem. That's my whole point, that there is an oversight in the wording of who is able to gain martial focus.
    http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/us...of-might#toc12

Anyone with Extra Martial Talent “or who has gained a martial progression by any other means” can achieve martial focus

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post

Anyone with Extra Martial Talent “or who has gained a martial progression by any other means” can achieve martial focus
    See but that's the thing. If you gain access to a talent by trading out the feat, you don't have a martial progression, just a talent/sphere.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    See but that's the thing. If you gain access to a talent by trading out the feat, you don't have a martial progression, just a talent/sphere.
    Then again, that means that any full caster who takes Extra Combat Talent (to nab, say, Unarmored Training) gets to "take 13" on Fort and Reflex saves. Is that something you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

15. - Top - End - #945

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    No, but if you took the feat you can gain martial focus. Also if you traded the several feats for a progression you can gain martial focus. That’s what it says. The only way to get a Talent without getting martial focus is to trade an Associated Feat for it.

Tbh it’s a bit silly that it’s *this easy,* because now everyone’s going to want at least one Talent for that nice Take 13 use of focus...
    Last edited by Dr_Dinosaur; 2017-12-10 at 03:10 AM.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Orc in the Playground

Tbh it’s a bit silly that it’s *this easy,* because now everyone’s going to want at least one Talent for that nice Take 13 use of focus...
    I don't really think that it's silly. If a caster (or other non-combatant) goes through a training montage (takes an appropriate combat feat) I have no problem with them not having to be a clumsy wuss once per encounter (without having to spend additional actions to refresh it).

Remember, this is a once per encounter chance to not suck, not to be super awesome. I think that it works both thematically and mechanically.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Pixie in the Playground

Personally, I think it's a bit silly that taking the feat gets you martial focus, but taking a martial tradition doesn't.

18. - Top - End - #948

Quote Originally Posted by Halinn View Post
    Personally, I think it's a bit silly that taking the feat gets you martial focus, but taking a martial tradition doesn't.
    How are you getting a martial tradition without Combat Training, Extra Martial Talent, or buying a progression with feats?

19. - Top - End - #949

Daemon

How are you getting a martial tradition without Combat Training, Extra Martial Talent, or buying a progression with feats?
    I believe they provided Blended Training as an example?
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

20. - Top - End - #950

Martial Traditions may be gained via trading-out starting armor and weapon proficiency (provided you meet the prerequisites).

21. - Top - End - #951

PirateGuy

Good point. A barbarian who swaps proficiencies for a martial tradition doesn’t officially gain martial focus.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm confused by this. The troubadour can get any combat talent, magic talent, rogue talent, ninja trick, and many other things as persona quirks so I don't think it's lacking in options, it already gains a bonus to disguise checks that's akin to the vigilante and an option to expand it to all uses of the skill, and it has an option to play mage-type characters: the mentor gains increased caster levels and a variable number of talents, which between multiple personas and the ability to discard and recreate personas means the troubadour can give himself any magic talents he wants or needs.
    Last edited by Adam Meyers; 2017-12-12 at 04:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Orc in the Playground

You're making my point for me. "Martial progression" is the combat talents gained by level progression i.e. Proficient/Adept/Expert progression. The book even explicitly uses this wording for exchanging feats for a martial progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Halinn View Post
    Oh man, I forgot that this is true as well, that's worse than the Associated Feat swap not giving Martial Focus.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Pixie in the Playground

You're making my point for me. "Martial progression" is the combat talents gained by level progression i.e. Proficient/Adept/Expert progression. The book even explicitly uses this wording for exchanging feats for a martial progression.

Oh man, I forgot that this is true as well, that's worse than the Associated Feat swap not giving Martial Focus.
    And to think, it could be solved so easily. "Anyone who has at least one combat sphere or talent can achieve martial focus" would be a pretty simple wording, without (as far as I can tell) any loopholes.

25. - Top - End - #955

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Zodiac Tattoo.

I can only use it to add armor special abilities, not straight enhancement bonuses, correct? Furthermore, the +6 limit is only to take into account that you are assumed to already be at a +1, correct? Speaking of which, you only pay for the increase in enhancement bonus from +1 to +6, but not the original cost of the +1 leather armor, correct?

As a corrollary, if I add an armor special ability that increases the enhancement bonus of my armor (Defiant, Bloodthirsty), does that enhancement bonus increase apply to touch and flat-footed if I am using the armor bonus from Unarmored Training?
    While I'm waiting on this to get answered, I also have some more questions about the Prodigy.

First, can Finisher abilities double as Opener abilities? For example, I activate the Arcane Apocalypse Finisher, and cast a sphere effect as a standard, move and swift. If the opponent fails a save against one of those, does that count as the "Magic Save" Opener as well?

Second, the Prodigy's Imbue/Finish abilities, aside from Creation (which specifies the need for create or alter), none of the other Spheres seems to specify requiring the base sphere's ability. For example, if I choose the Death Sphere, but got the Necromantic Limit drawback and lost the "Reanimate" ability, can I still use the Prodigy's "Walking Dead" Finish?

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

While I'm waiting on this to get answered, I also have some more questions about the Prodigy.

First, can Finisher abilities double as Opener abilities? For example, I activate the Arcane Apocalypse Finisher, and cast a sphere effect as a standard, move and swift. If the opponent fails a save against one of those, does that count as the "Magic Save" Opener as well?

Second, the Prodigy's Imbue/Finish abilities, aside from Creation (which specifies the need for create or alter), none of the other Spheres seems to specify requiring the base sphere's ability. For example, if I choose the Death Sphere, but got the Necromantic Limit drawback and lost the "Reanimate" ability, can I still use the Prodigy's "Walking Dead" Finish?
    Finishers can not start a new sequence.

Nature also has some package specific imbuements. Unless a requirement is listed, you only need the base sphere.

27. - Top - End - #957

Can we get a list of everything in this latest update of Spheres of Might that was changed? So far what I can tell is that Martial Traditions now officially grant Martial Focus, and the Technological Training feat was added.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Zodiac Tattoo.

I can only use it to add armor special abilities, not straight enhancement bonuses, correct?
    Correct.

Furthermore, the +6 limit is only to take into account that you are assumed to already be at a +1, correct?
    The "as though your skin were a suit of +1 leather armor" line is only intended to clarify that you qualify for the armor special abilities and give guidance on what abilities you qualify for, not to eat into your available enhancements.

Speaking of which, you only pay for the increase in enhancement bonus from +1 to +6, but not the original cost of the +1 leather armor, correct?
    Correct.

Yes.

29. - Top - End - #959

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    Can we get a list of everything in this latest update of Spheres of Might that was changed? So far what I can tell is that Martial Traditions now officially grant Martial Focus, and the Technological Training feat was added.
    Have look here. It includes now everything from the previous update as well.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

30. - Top - End - #960

Imp

Thank you for the answers to all of my questions. I did miss the part about Finishers not counting towards the current sequence or starting a new sequence. As for the answer concerning Zodiac Tattoo, would that also apply to a friendly Cleric who casts Magic Vestment upon you?