New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1227282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1336
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

Quote Originally Posted by Zsaber0 View Post
    Diving strike says

So at first brush it looks like it doesn't work or is an oversight in the sphere.
    Well, slap me sideways. For some reason my eyes just slid completely over that. Serves me right for looking something up in a rush.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have a few questions about the Sage. Does the ki blast work with dual wielding and also Triangle slash (I realize you can not get triangle slash without mulitclassing with a min 1 conscript)? I enjoy the concept of shooting 18-21 laser beams a round.

Are ki blasts affected by other destruction talents like extended range, focused blast, and energy admixture (I realize you would have to take the destruction talent to grab any of these first)?

If multiple effects that stack on to an ability are used, does a ring of ki mastery reduce the total cost by one, or each effect by one to a min of one?

Do staffs increase the CL of a sage?
    Last edited by Cyrocloud; 2018-02-04 at 10:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocloud View Post
    Do staffs increase the CL of a sage?
    A sage does not have a caster level per se, so I would say no.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    A sage does not have a caster level per se, so I would say no.
    Come again?
    Sages who gain magic talents are treated as High-Casters when determining their caster level
    They get a CAM, and can even gain a casting tradition. The only thing they don't get is the actual casting class feature (and thus the 2 free talents) but neither does a character with Advanced Magical Training and they sure can use a SoP staff.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Come again?

They get a CAM, and can even gain a casting tradition. The only thing they don't get is the actual casting class feature (and thus the 2 free talents) but neither does a character with Advanced Magical Training and they sure can use a SoP staff.
    Rereading the sage, it seems I confused Ki Blaster with the casting part. Ki Blaster can't be augmented by staves.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    We have blown past the projected physical release of the books. Any update on that?
    December 19th, on Kickstarter, was the last update as far as I can tell.
    Adam said, we should have the books by the end of January, but obviously we don't have them yet.
    ~ Ualaa

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    December 19th, on Kickstarter, was the last update as far as I can tell.
    Adam said, we should have the books by the end of January, but obviously we don't have them yet.
    January what 2019 is my guess and we still have lot of time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Geigan View Post
    How does Vital Strike interact with the splash weapons from the Alchemy sphere? As I understand it you can use it with these weapons, but only the initial list dice would be considered base damage dice and any additional dice from higher craft alchemy would be considered a "damage bonus" for the purpose of the feat. Do I have that right or am I completely off base?
    Bumping this question, because I don't believe I ever got an answer. Our resident alchemy user is getting close-ish to the point where they'd decide on using Vital Strike or not, so I'm not sure whether to recommend or not.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Orc in the Playground

Bumping this question, because I don't believe I ever got an answer. Our resident alchemy user is getting close-ish to the point where they'd decide on using Vital Strike or not, so I'm not sure whether to recommend or not.
    Vital Strike doesn't interact with formulae, as you can't use them as an attack action, but must use the Throw Splash Weapon action like any other alchemical item.

10. - Top - End - #1090

Flumph

Vital Strike doesn't interact with formulae, as you can't use them as an attack action, but must use the Throw Splash Weapon action like any other alchemical item.
    I see. Would that be the same if attacking with a flask thrower?

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

What does the Dual Wielding Talent "Paired Proficiency" actually do?

Each combat feat, class feature, or combat talent which would apply to your main hand weapon also applies to your off-hand weapon, unless it would be an illegal choice (such as applying a talent to a melee attack that only may be used with ranged attacks or applying a feat that requires a specific type of weapon on a weapon that does not meet these prerequisites).

At +10 base attack bonus, combat feats, class features, or combat talents which would apply to your off-hand weapon also applies to your main hand weapon, unless they would also be an illegal choice. The only exception to this is special attack actions, such as brutal strikes, barrages, and deadly shots, which are not applied to the off-hand weapon.
    Does this mean that it qualifies to be effected by combat talents, feats, etc. even if they specify an attack action? If not, is there an example of the usage, especially the benefit granted at BAB +10?

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Orc in the Playground

I see. Would that be the same if attacking with a flask thrower?
    Yes, all a Flask Thrower does is give you better range.
    Quote Originally Posted by decamonos View Post
    What does the Dual Wielding Talent "Paired Proficiency" actually do?

Does this mean that it qualifies to be effected by combat talents, feats, etc. even if they specify an attack action? If not, is there an example of the usage, especially the benefit granted at BAB +10?
    For example, if you are wielding a scimitar and a dagger, Weapon Focus (scimitar) would apply to both weapons. It's an incredibly niche talent because most normal people just use two of the same weapon to avoid needing something like this in the first place, and it doesn't even allow "illegal" combinations that would have made it interesting, like Power Attack with a ranged off-hand, or a feat that specifies use of a specific weapon (let's say scimitar again) with a totally different off-hand (like the aforementioned dagger).

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

I found out that a Feb 05 version was updated on DTRPG, and found out that while the mysterious size compression was good, the bookmarks are somehow messed up. Plus, although I have absolutely no problem that the cover was moved to the back, the front cover takes up a useless bit of 2nd page in the 239th one. Can this be fixed as fast as you can?

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Dwarf in the Playground

What exactly is the "Throw Splash Weapon action" as I can only find reference to "Prepare to throw splash weapon" as the only thing needing it's own specific action, and the consensus seems to be that that is referring to a single item which is Oil? In addition, would vital strike work with Improved Bottled Lightning since that isn't a splash weapon?
    Last edited by Zsaber0; 2018-02-08 at 11:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

What exactly is the "Throw Splash Weapon action" as I can only find reference to "Prepare to throw splash weapon" as the only thing needing it's own specific action, and the consensus seems to be that that is referring to a single item which is Oil? In addition, would vital strike work with Improved Bottled Lightning since that isn't a splash weapon?
    Splash weapons are just an attack. http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9rrc

Quote Originally Posted by Paizo FAQ
    Splash Weapons: Does the "prepare to throw splash weapon" full-round action (page 183) apply to using all splash weapons?
    No. Throwing a splash weapon is an attack, and most splash weapons don't need any preparation before use, as they explode or activate on impact (all you need to do is retrieve it from where you have it stored, then throw it, spending the appropriate actions to do so).

The "prepare to throw splash weapon" entry in the table only refers to preparing a flask of oil for use as a splash weapon. The oil equipment description says:

Oil: A pint of oil burns for 6 hours in a lantern or lamp. You can also use a flask of oil as a splash weapon. Use the rules for alchemist's fire (see Special Substances and Items on Table 6–9), except that it takes a full-round action to prepare a flask with a fuse. Once it is thrown, there is a 50% chance of the flask igniting successfully.

Therefore, the full-round action listed in the table is the action required to apply a fuse to a flask of oil and light it so you can use it as a splash weapon. ("Preparing" the flask does not include throwing it, which is a separate action to attack.)

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Question, with the Sage class and specifically its Enhancer ability can it gain Sphere-Specific Drawbacks for its Enhancement talents/Enhance abilities? It can gain a casting tradition with its abilities so I don't think gaining Sphere-Specific Drawbacks is out of the question but I'd figure throw it out here.

17. - Top - End - #1097

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RedMop View Post
    So looping back around to my original question, how do these formulae interact with vital strike? Regardless of the disagreement over how splash weapons work, the point about bottled lightning stands. Nothing seems to render the two mutually exclusive, so what's considered to be the base damage for purposes of the feat?

18. - Top - End - #1098

So looping back around to my original question, how do these formulae interact with vital strike? Regardless of the disagreement over how splash weapons work, the point about bottled lightning stands. Nothing seems to render the two mutually exclusive, so what's considered to be the base damage for purposes of the feat?
    Bottled Lightning definitely doesn't work "You can open the bottle as a standard action, unleashing a small bolt of lightning toward an enemy within 20 feet of you. This is a ranged touch attack" not an attack action. Acid and Fire should probably work though by RAW, there's no listed action to use them, so you should be able to do it as an attack action. RAI it might be better to treat it as an Alchemist's bomb where the damage beyond 1d6 is bonus damage that doesn't get multiplied.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldaran View Post
    Bottled Lightning definitely doesn't work "You can open the bottle as a standard action, unleashing a small bolt of lightning toward an enemy within 20 feet of you. This is a ranged touch attack" not an attack action. Acid and Fire should probably work though by RAW, there's no listed action to use them, so you should be able to do it as an attack action. RAI it might be better to treat it as an Alchemist's bomb where the damage beyond 1d6 is bonus damage that doesn't get multiplied.
    Slightly ninjaed. The improved versions do nothing to change that.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Dwarf in the Playground

All Improved Formula say they are ranged touch attacks. You definitely can use an attack action to use a weapon that uses a ranged touch attack, and Improved bottled lightning leaves out the "As a standard action" language.
    Last edited by Zsaber0; 2018-02-12 at 11:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you apply Improved Fuse Grenade to the Trap Sphere Dart, does the bomb go off 1d3 rounds after setting the trap or 1d3 rounds after the trap is set off?

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Do the talents that give proficiency with weapons like bastard swords, where the weapon is simultaneously a martial weapon and exotic weapon, give only the martial proficiency or the full exotic proficiency?

And regarding the Duelist's bleed, when it says that it stacks with any other bleed you're capable of dealing, does that mean that it stacks with itself? So if I hit a creature twice with a BAB +4 practitioner they're now taking 4 points per turn correct? And this isn't triggered by a full attack right?
    Last edited by torrasque666; 2018-02-13 at 01:29 AM.
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

If you apply Improved Fuse Grenade to the Trap Sphere Dart, does the bomb go off 1d3 rounds after setting the trap or 1d3 rounds after the trap is set off?
    Unless another dev disagrees, I would count triggering the trap as starting the countdown. Which could lead to interesting scenarios.

24. - Top - End - #1104

Flumph

Sorry, I didn't reiterate since I was talking about the point Zsaber0 raised, but I was talking about the "Improved" version not regular bottled lightning.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMop View Post
    Slightly ninjaed. The improved versions do nothing to change that.
    Really? You sure about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Improved Bottled Lightning (formulae)
    Craft DC: 25

Improved bottled lightning unleashes a small bolt of lightning toward an enemy within 20 ft. of you. This is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d8 points of electricity damage, plus 1d8 per 2 Craft (alchemy) ranks you possess. Any creature in a line between you and the target (including the target) takes 1 point of sonic damage plus 1 point per rank in Craft (alchemy) you possess from the terrific clap of thunder the bolt generates.

You can increase the Craft DC for this weapon in increments of 10; each time you do so, the range increases by 10 ft. and the sonic damage dealt to creatures in the line of effect increases by 1d6.
    I don't see standard action in there, so you'll forgive me if I'm still confused as to what's preventing use with vital strike exactly unless we're meant to assume the improved versions work the same way as the normal versions in terms of actions to use. Is that the case?

25. - Top - End - #1105

RedWizardGuy

This is a question that's been driving me crazy forever but I keep forgetting to ask. How do the Conscript's Finesse Training and the Finesse Fighting talent interact? If you take the latter twice, can you add half your BAB to damage and substitute Dex for Strength on damage, or is it one or the other?

Also, what exactly is the "alchemist's crafting kit" referred to by the Alchemy sphere? I couldn't find it anywhere on the SoP wiki- does it refer to the Alchemy Crafting Kit from Ultimate Equipment, or something else that I'm missing somehow?
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Sorry, I didn't reiterate since I was talking about the point Zsaber0 raised, but I was talking about the "Improved" version not regular bottled lightning.

Really? You sure about that?
    I don't see standard action in there, so you'll forgive me if I'm still confused as to what's preventing use with vital strike exactly unless we're meant to assume the improved versions work the same way as the normal versions in terms of actions to use. Is that the case?
    I'll let a dev weigh in. Usually, when the Improved/Greater something changes something, it specifically calls it out. The Improved Alchemy talents to not make any sort of call. That is how I came to my conclusion.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

The bonus from taking finesse training twice requires that you use strength for damage. If you get DEX to damage from conscript (or another source), you don't need finesse training.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galacktic View Post
    Question, with the Sage class and specifically its Enhancer ability can it gain Sphere-Specific Drawbacks for its Enhancement talents/Enhance abilities? It can gain a casting tradition with its abilities so I don't think gaining Sphere-Specific Drawbacks is out of the question but I'd figure throw it out here.
    Reposting this for a hopeful answer!

29. - Top - End - #1109

Quote Originally Posted by Galacktic View Post
    Reposting this for a hopeful answer!
    You're not actually gaining access to a sphere, so I doubt it. You're just gaining certain talents from the sphere. You could spend a talent to gain access to the Enhancement sphere and then gain sphere specific drawbacks. Which would also let you use the enhance talents normally.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Orc in the Playground

You're not actually gaining access to a sphere, so I doubt it. You're just gaining certain talents from the sphere. You could spend a talent to gain access to the Enhancement sphere and then gain sphere specific drawbacks. Which would also let you use the enhance talents normally.
    Sphere-specific drawbacks are actually technically part of your casting tradition, just look at the example ones in the core Spheres of Power book such as Flame-Blooded or Druidic.