New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1336
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

Quote Originally Posted by AlienFromBeyond View Post
    Sphere-specific drawbacks are actually technically part of your casting tradition, just look at the example ones in the core Spheres of Power book such as Flame-Blooded or Druidic.
    From the book "General drawbacks must be selected as soon as the caster gains her first level in any spellcasting class. Sphere-Specific Drawbacks must be chosen as soon as the caster gains the drawback’s prerequisite sphere."

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Regarding the Scholar's healing ability: Is there any restriction in regards of the type of the creature I'm missing? Or can I heal undead and constructs, too? If not, how do I get that possibility?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldaran View Post
    From the book "General drawbacks must be selected as soon as the caster gains her first level in any spellcasting class. Sphere-Specific Drawbacks must be chosen as soon as the caster gains the drawback’s prerequisite sphere."
    Well there you go, a contradictory answer within the book itself.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Orc in the Playground

How is that contradictory? Drawbacks come into play when the thing they are affecting comes into play. I see no contradiction. The tradition examples lay a roadmap, they don't dictate how you spend your talents.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Barbarian in the Playground

All that says is that you choose the drawbacks when you gain access to the thing they affect. General (spell point/boon granting) drawbacks don't come in until you have a spell pool from a casting class. Sphere-specific drawbacks are picked when you gain access to their sphere

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ettin in the Playground

Dumb question, but to talents gained via drawbacks with the Brute, Boxing, Open Hand or Wrestling spheres count separately for improving unarmed damage? For example, if at first level I took the Defensive Pugilist drawback to get Tight Guard and I have two unarmed spheres/talents talents, does that qualify as having 4 talents and thus doing 1d6 damage w/unarmed strikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

7. - Top - End - #1117

Dumb question, but to talents gained via drawbacks with the Brute, Boxing, Open Hand or Wrestling spheres count separately for improving unarmed damage? For example, if at first level I took the Defensive Pugilist drawback to get Tight Guard and I have two unarmed spheres/talents talents, does that qualify as having 4 talents and thus doing 1d6 damage w/unarmed strikes?
    There is no rule which changes the effect of talents depending on the source of the talent, with only one exception: If you gain a talent only temporarily, it doesn't provide the instant retraining it otherwise does.

8. - Top - End - #1118

Imp

The Opportunist talent from Trap Wielder allows you to take an attack of opportunity with a ranged weapon if somebody takes damage from your dart trap or fails their save against your snare trap. Does this ranged weapon allowance include splash weapons, or class-based weapons like Alchemist Bombs or Scholar Flashbangs?

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground

Question about the railgun improvement.
    Spoiler: Railgun
    Show
    The firearm is powered by electricity and magnetism instead of blackpowder. The firearm no longer requires gunpower or blackpowder, meaning it can fire underwater or in other wet environments that would normally stop a firearm from functioning. Additionally, the firearm has its range increment multiplied by 3. This stacks with the multiplier from the improved rifling improvement.

If it no long requires gunpowder or blackpowder, does the firearm still require ammo and reloading?

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Question about the railgun improvement.
    Spoiler: Railgun
    Show
    The firearm is powered by electricity and magnetism instead of blackpowder. The firearm no longer requires gunpower or blackpowder, meaning it can fire underwater or in other wet environments that would normally stop a firearm from functioning. Additionally, the firearm has its range increment multiplied by 3. This stacks with the multiplier from the improved rifling improvement.

If it no long requires gunpowder or blackpowder, does the firearm still require ammo and reloading?
    Common sense says yep. You still need to reload the rail gun and need ammo for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Do the talents that give proficiency with weapons like bastard swords, where the weapon is simultaneously a martial weapon and exotic weapon, give only the martial proficiency or the full exotic proficiency?
    Proficiency with a weapon is proficiency, not "partial proficiency". (official rulings on clerics and tengu confirm this).
    Semper ludens.

12. - Top - End - #1122

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    The Opportunist talent from Trap Wielder allows you to take an attack of opportunity with a ranged weapon if somebody takes damage from your dart trap or fails their save against your snare trap. Does this ranged weapon allowance include splash weapons, or class-based weapons like Alchemist Bombs or Scholar Flashbangs?
    Looking into this further, while Alchemist bombs are specifically called out to be equivalent in all ways to a ranged weapon, Scholar Flashbangs are never stated to actually be a weapon, just a ranged touch attack. Does this mean that flashbangs can never make use of stuff like Precise Shot/the Sniper Sphere?

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking into this further, while Alchemist bombs are specifically called out to be equivalent in all ways to a ranged weapon, Scholar Flashbangs are never stated to actually be a weapon, just a ranged touch attack. Does this mean that flashbangs can never make use of stuff like Precise Shot/the Sniper Sphere?
    You need to take the Trick Arrows knack to use a flashbang in conjunction with abilities like the Sniper sphere. There used to be text that specifically called them out as being an alchemical weapon and following all the related rules, but it's gone and I don't recall us removing it, so I'm doing a bit of research into when/why that happened.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Regarding the physical books.

From the kickstarter page, Adam has said they didn't get enough orders of the physical books for Spheres of Might or Champion of the Spheres for a full print run, like they did with Spheres of Power.

So they were looking into Print on Demand options, for the best possible quality on more limited print runs. They decided on one, and gave the proofs to them about a week ago. The update said that that company would be ready to print in 1-3 weeks after receiving the proofs, so I'm estimating that print books begin during or before the first week of March.

Not sure when that means we'll receive them, but they're coming.
    ~ Ualaa

15. - Top - End - #1125

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    You need to take the Trick Arrows knack to use a flashbang in conjunction with abilities like the Sniper sphere. There used to be text that specifically called them out as being an alchemical weapon and following all the related rules, but it's gone and I don't recall us removing it, so I'm doing a bit of research into when/why that happened.
    Hmm...it seems like the Scholar gets the short end of the stick in a lot of corner cases. Like how they can't make effective use out of Unarmored Training since they don't have Acrobatics as a class skill, and are barred from selecting the Equipment Sphere with Martial Study. I can understand the reasoning, but it still kinda sucks that you have to expend more resources to reach parity with other classes. Though I suppose every class has to deal with that at some extent.

At any rate, what of Alchemist Bombs? Can they be used with the Opportunist talent from the Trap Sphere?

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

If I recall, bombs are a standard action (or a full attack with fast bombs) so no.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ettin in the Playground

Scoundrel sphere seems to be heavily based around Dirty Trick and Steal combat maneuvers, but for whatever reason, still continues to provoke AoO. Was this intentional?
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Pixie in the Playground

Got a couple of questions here that I need to clear up for a character I'm building:

First, does Extra Combat Talent function even if you're not considered a practitioner? I assume so, since there's no prerequisite, but I'd like to confirm.

Second, reach. Large characters, and certain classes like the Hekatonkheires Symbiat, get a higher natural reach. How does that interact with the whip's unique reach ability (where you can attack anything within your reach) and the Whip Fiend talent from the Equipment sphere?

Yes, I do want to see what I can get with a Whip Fiend Hekatonkheires. Maybe with chakrams as well, for really long range. Dancer Training gives both weapons.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    Scoundrel sphere seems to be heavily based around Dirty Trick and Steal combat maneuvers, but for whatever reason, still continues to provoke AoO. Was this intentional?
    I'll ping Ehn to confirm, but yes, that's intentional. The Scoundrel sphere grants the Marked Target ability which inflicts the battered condition. Battered is the condition many spheres use to prevent their maneuvers from provoking AoOs.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CreepyShutIn View Post
    Got a couple of questions here that I need to clear up for a character I'm building:

First, does Extra Combat Talent function even if you're not considered a practitioner? I assume so, since there's no prerequisite, but I'd like to confirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam C. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    Quick question due to me viewing it on the wiki and not during the playtest, but can the Extra Combat Talent feat be used to gain access to spheres without being a sphere using class?
    Yes. The word "extra" does throw people off, but the feat has no prerequisites.
    Yup.#10chars
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    I'll ping Ehn to confirm, but yes, that's intentional. The Scoundrel sphere grants the Marked Target ability which inflicts the battered condition. Battered is the condition many spheres use to prevent their maneuvers from provoking AoOs.
    I see.. Is there any rules or provisions for when something like a particular martial archetype has a feat talent that a class or race might get automatically. Like for example The Cunning Warleader has the Quick Feint talent.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triskavanski View Post
    I see.. Is there any rules or provisions for when something like a particular martial archetype has a feat talent that a class or race might get automatically. Like for example The Cunning Warleader has the Quick Feint talent.
    I'm not sure if this answers your question, but feinting does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Every sphere that keys off a maneuver which provokes an attack of opportunity offers some way to prevent provoking attacks of opportunity, whether that be by inflicting the battered condition or some other debuff.

There is a general rule in the introduction for SoM that states when ever you would gain a talent you already possess, ou instead gain a talent of your choice from that sphere. The associated feat rules allow you to choose a talent that has said associated feat in place of the feat whenever you would gain it, so combined with the rules on allowing you to gain another talent from the same sphere if you already have it, you should be covered in most instances of overlap. For example, if you would gain the Improved Feint feat from an archetype, you could instead take the Fast Feint talent, and if you already have Fast Feint, you could instead take any other Fencing talent you qualify for.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah yeah, that second part is what I was talking about there.

24. - Top - End - #1134

Hmm...it seems like the Scholar gets the short end of the stick in a lot of corner cases. Like how they can't make effective use out of Unarmored Training since they don't have Acrobatics as a class skill, and are barred from selecting the Equipment Sphere with Martial Study.
    Unarmored Training keys of skill ranks and in PF you can buy them normally, so the scholar isn't impacted there, compared to every other class and build.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Unarmored Training keys of skill ranks and in PF you can buy them normally, so the scholar isn't impacted there, compared to every other class and build.
    Technically it only does that if you have Acrobatics as a class skill, but there are tons of ways to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

26. - Top - End - #1136

Imp

Technically it only does that if you have Acrobatics as a class skill, but there are tons of ways to get it.
    Namely through the spending of traits, hence my comment of "spending resources to reach parity." That said, there are a few races that can make it a class skill via an alternate racial trait, a la "Fey Thoughts," so there's that at least.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

it seems like the Scholar gets the short end of the stick in a lot of corner cases.
    If every class could be good at every thing, why have more than 1 class?

28. - Top - End - #1138

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by RedMop View Post
    If every class could be good at every thing, why have more than 1 class?
    That's kind of a straw man of my post, where I also said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse
    Though I suppose every class has to deal with that at some extent.
    I'm not arguing for the class to be god tier at everything, just pointing out that there are some cases where the rules of the game do not favor it.

Flashbangs not being considered a weapon means that there are a lot of system elements that don't work with them, like Precise Shot from the Sniper Sphere or Point Blank Shot from the Barrage Sphere, which call out "weapons" specifically.

Considering the fact that these two are basically the cornerstone of every ranged build ever, it's a pretty glaring omission that doesn't exist in base Pathfinder, where Rays and Alchemist Bombs are properly classified as weapons.

And just as a final point, know that such a line of thinking can just as easily be used as justification to never improve terrible classes like the Core Fighter or Rogue or Monk, because, hey, if every class could be good at every thing, why have more than 1 class?
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2018-02-20 at 05:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1139

Imp

On a semi-unrelated note, let's talk more about Traps from the Trap Sphere.

1. Do traps take a penalty for firing into melee? If so, do they benefit from stuff like Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Deadly Shot, Barrage, et al?

2. If somebody takes the Expert Eye talent, and are able to use their skill in Craft (traps) in place of Perception against traps and Disable Device against traps, do they need to use Thieves Tools, or would a Trap Bag suffice? If they had Masterwork Thieves Tools, would they receive the +2 bonus?

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, When creating poison from the Alchemy Sphere's Poison Package, is there ever a benefit to using an injury poison over a contact poison?
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2018-02-21 at 10:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Dwarf in the Playground

On a semi-unrelated note, let's talk more about Traps from the Trap Sphere.

1. Do traps take a penalty for firing into melee? If so, do they benefit from stuff like Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Deadly Shot, Barrage, et al?

2. If somebody takes the Expert Eye talent, and are able to use their skill in Craft (traps) in place of Perception against traps and Disable Device against traps, do they need to use Thieves Tools, or would a Trap Bag suffice? If they had Masterwork Thieves Tools, would they receive the +2 bonus?

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, When creating poison from the Alchemy Sphere's Poison Package, is there ever a benefit to using an injury poison over a contact poison?
    In addition to this, is there a way to get Trapfinding in Sphere of Might?