New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: American food to feed to a British friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    They do have my second favorite Twitter account though.
    Is Wendy's your first? Because it's pretty great. So's Denny's.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

The Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter is what started the trend of cool Twitter accounts, and it's still the best IMO.

That guy gets ****ing savage sometimes.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter is what started the trend of cool Twitter accounts, and it's still the best IMO.

That guy gets ****ing savage sometimes.
    Does it talk about chili dogs and how he gotta go fast?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    Ah, but even if you can get Marmite (or even other British foods, I imagine) in America, can you get the right kind?

Remember, when serving guests from England or Australia/NZ, make sure you have the correct spreadable yeast extract. Marmite (English version), Marmite (Australian version), Marmite (New Zealand version), Vegemite (Australian version), and Vegemite (New Zealand version) are all completely different, and no you cannot substitute one for the other, unless you wish to be accused of poisoning your guest .
    Yep, English Marmite is quite different from NZ stuff. Took me by surprize the first time I tried it. Not that I'm particularly partial to either sort.

For true English breakfast spreads that look like tar, you can't forget Bovril. Basically liquid beef stock, used to make a hot drink, or spread on hot buttered toast, it's a fantastic, if acquired taste.

What's really disappointing and strange though, is that the version of it we get in NZ is a vegetarian version, as since the Mad Cow outbreaks in England (all those many years ago) the Beef version is technically illegal. There's a subtle difference in taste in the two.

As for the original topic I'd recommend Pie. The American sweet pies (at least what I tried on my trip to America) were quite different from the ones in England, or NZ. There's not really a diner pie culture, like there is in the US. You can't go past a damn fine slice of Cherry pie. Or Chess pie, or Pecan or any other ones. English pies are also fantastic - Pork pies (with Tomato sauce or Branston) are brilliant, Steak and Kidney or Huntingdon Fitchett are all astounding. NZ doesn't do to bad as well, we're the masters of the single serve meat pie, and it's hard to beat a really good Bacon and Egg pie. I like pie.
    Last edited by Scaleybob; 2017-04-05 at 06:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

I'm a small, but steady consumer of Bovril - on toast. Handy thing to keep in the kitchen for situations where I need something I can make and consume in 3 mins but don't want something sweet.

Pork pies... for me, it's got to be quality Mobray ones. The cheaper ones I simply find too greasy. I'll also fly the flag for Scotch Eggs - I love to eat them with pepper.
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

'This is my truth, tell me yours.' - Nye Bevan

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scaleybob View Post
    As for the original topic I'd recommend Pie. The American sweet pies (at least what I tried on my trip to America) were quite different from the ones in England, or NZ. There's not really a diner pie culture, like there is in the US. You can't go past a damn fine slice of Cherry pie. Or Chess pie, or Pecan or any other ones. English pies are also fantastic - Pork pies (with Tomato sauce or Branston) are brilliant, Steak and Kidney or Huntingdon Fitchett are all astounding. NZ doesn't do to bad as well, we're the masters of the single serve meat pie, and it's hard to beat a really good Bacon and Egg pie. I like pie.
    How is a Bacon and Egg pie different from a Quiche?

As for pies to serve, I recommend pumpkin, banana-cream, coconut cream, lemon-meringue, key-lime, and apple. And peach. And blue-berry. If you were in Michigan, I would recommend a meat-pastie and a coney-dog and fudge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post

As for pies to serve, I recommend pumpkin, banana-cream, coconut cream, lemon-meringue, key-lime, and apple. And peach. And blue-berry. If you were in Michigan, I would recommend a meat-pastie and a coney-dog and fudge.
    Pies and quiches are different in a number of ways, but the biggest one would be that pies have a crust made from dough, while quiches usually don't.

Also, pecan pie needs to be mentioned. Pumpkin pie might be more novel for brits, though.
    A few odds and ends.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    And what's this heresy about Chicago pizza?! That stuff is barely edible.
    Right. From here on out, all British opinions on pizza are to be dismissed.

--

Being from the midwest, I think of a lot of regional food to be ubiquitous nationally, however: Cincinnati-style chili and sauerkraut balls come to mind. Deer jerkey seems like something that wouldn't be common. Chicken fried steak and hush puppies also seem like good suggestions. Desserts? Sugar cream pie and fried biscuits with apple butter. Pretty sure they don't have Klondike Bars outside the U.S.

Do people in the UK eat tater tots? Might be a good alternative to fries if you can get them at a good, Americanized burger joint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Right. From here on out, all British opinions on pizza are to be dismissed.
    They put corn on their pizza! Corn! It's everywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    They put corn on their pizza! Corn! It's everywhere!
    At least they don't try putting fish eggs on their pizza.

Though that does remind me of another dish that would probably confuse the hell out of them, Spam musubi.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Does it talk about chili dogs and how he gotta go fast?
    Yes and yes.

Also they like Game Grumps.

Shifting back slightly to on topic, a Coney Island style chili dog might be a decent, simple novelty. Perhaps even from a Sonic. The food won't be great but the odd style of ordering might be interesting, and the drinks will be good.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

I find Melton Mowbray pork pies to be a little overrated. The best pork pies I've had have been from areas other than MM. Which is not to say that cheap pork pies aren't often pretty greasy, because they are. I think this may be at least partly to do with the way they're cooked: MM pork pies are cooked free-standing so the grease has more opportunity to drain away. When I tried making pork pies at home the pastry soaked up a lot of grease.

And debates over mustard vs chutney aside, what kind of monster puts ketchup on a pork pie?
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    And debates over mustard vs chutney aside, what kind of monster puts ketchup on a pork pie?
    The same kind who puts pineapple on a pizza or mustard on, well, anything edible.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

A quiche is defined more by the baked cream/milk-egg mix and the cheese in it than anything. There are all sorts of ways to use egg that aren't really that quiche like, and there are all sorts of vegetarian quiches (whereas making a vegan equivalent is nigh impossible).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The same kind who puts pineapple on a pizza or mustard on, well, anything edible.
    I have reached a point in my life where I plan meals around what would be an acceptable vector for mustard.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Not quite true. There are only two versions of Marmite - British and New Zealand - and one Vegemite (Australian).

You're right about the differences, though. To a person who's accustomed to any one of these spreads, tasting any of the others can come as a very nasty shock. (Particularly NZ Marmite, which is the only one I've not learned to like even a tiny bit. It's like "real Marmite, but with a generous spoonful of sugar stirred into every jar". Blech.)

I would guess that you're more likely to get British Marmite in the US, simply because British expats outnumber Aus/NZ expats by a fair margin.
    No, there is definitely more than one kind of Vegemite, having moved from Australia to NZ a wee while back. I believe Australian Marmite is different as well, but I don't really do Marmite, so I could be misinformed. Vegemite, does change from NZ to Australia, although you have to really like the stuff to really appreciate the change. Spreadable yeast products in general produce ridiculously emotional responses for the tiniest differences in flavour.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You've never had a Cuban sandwich.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Or the aforementioned Beef Wellington.

19. - Top - End - #169

I do both of those things but would not put ketchup near anything with pork on it.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

20. - Top - End - #170

It would be good, if not for the mustard. Or at least, a deli mustard. Anything other than yellow.

21. - Top - End - #171

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    You can? Man, I'm going to really bad places then! Only the largest grocery chain on the West Coast. Where should I be looking? I don't think they're as common as you think.
    I've found them all over the country from the Pacific Northwest to the Midwest to the East Coast.

I can't help you with whatever's going on with that grocery store chain, I suppose, since I've never been to California, but trying to use a single Californian grocery store chain's stores in California to comment on the entirety of the U.S. is flawed, to say the least.

Generally never more than one, maybe two varieties though, three or four at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I do both of those things but would not put ketchup near anything with pork on it.
    Ketchup should generally stay away from pork, unless that ketchup is being used to make barbecue sauce, and then only after you've finished making the sauce.

I find Melton Mowbray pork pies to be a little overrated. The best pork pies I've had have been from areas other than MM. Which is not to say that cheap pork pies aren't often pretty greasy, because they are. I think this may be at least partly to do with the way they're cooked: MM pork pies are cooked free-standing so the grease has more opportunity to drain away. When I tried making pork pies at home the pastry soaked up a lot of grease.
    Hmm? Isn't grease the point, because you need the lard to congeal into solid form in order for the pie to be considered finished?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2017-04-05 at 06:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It would be good, if not for the mustard. Or at least, a deli mustard. Anything other than yellow.
    Cubans are suppose to have honey or spicy mustard anyway.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground

Replying to multiple people, too lazy to multi-quote:

Desserts: This may be an older person or regional thing, but my grandmother (almost 90) likes bread pudding, mince pies, and fruitcake. She mostly grew up in Idaho.

Crumpets: Are found in the refrigerated section, not with the other bread products. I loved them growing up, because they absorb butter like a sponge, and then you get to eat delicious butter-filled goodness.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Hmm? Isn't grease the point, because you need the lard to congeal into solid form in order for the pie to be considered finished?
    Inevitably there's going to be some grease associated with pork pies, but ideally you should be able to pick one up without your hand turning translucent. If there are visible patches of fat or grease on the outside of the pie, that's a bad sign, in general.

It might be that you're confusing the lard used to make the pastry with the jelly used to seal the pork.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

25. - Top - End - #175

Cubans are suppose to have honey or spicy mustard anyway.
    Tell that to the Cuban who made my Cubans. Nothing but yellow.

The rest of it was delightful, though.

26. - Top - End - #176

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Crumpets: Are found in the refrigerated section, not with the other bread products.
    That's kind of odd to British eyes--over here, crumpets are always in the bread section, along with muffins, naan bread, and the like. I admit, I'm not sure why that would be since crumpets aren't really much like bread at all...

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Lemon meringue pie, apple pie, and cherry pie are all fairly popular over here

Pretty sure they don't have Klondike Bars outside the U.S.

Do people in the UK eat tater tots? Might be a good alternative to fries if you can get them at a good, Americanized burger joint.
    Are Klondike bars chocolate? If so, we don't want them. And if tater tots are what I think they are, they're a school dinner staple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    No, there is definitely more than one kind of Vegemite, having moved from Australia to NZ a wee while back. I believe Australian Marmite is different as well, but I don't really do Marmite, so I could be misinformed. Vegemite, does change from NZ to Australia, although you have to really like the stuff to really appreciate the change. Spreadable yeast products in general produce ridiculously emotional responses for the tiniest differences in flavour.
    I like Marmite, but I tried Vegemite in Australia and it tasted like soap.

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post

Crumpets: Are found in the refrigerated section, not with the other bread products. I loved them growing up, because they absorb butter like a sponge, and then you get to eat delicious butter-filled goodness.
    Try them with honey. Best thing to do with crumpets is to eat them freshly toasted and hot with butter and honey. It soaks right through, and is just generally amazing. It will drip though, so have a plate!
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Me, I put ketchup on a Pork Pie. Although being a Kiwi, it's Tomato Sauce (or train smash) not ketchup. Ketchup is some strange American thing, that isn't quite the same as Tomato Sauce. I suspect it's more to do with semantics than recipe. I mainly blame this preladiction on 'Deadly Headly, Vampire Detective' from the old Buster comic.

I've never got to try a proper Melton Mowbray pork pie on any of my trips to England, as on a previous trip my family found the place a little strange. Dueling banjos strange....

The best Pork Pie I tried (and I tried a lot) was from a Butcher's in Melrose in Scotland. It had Stilton baked into it, and it was fantastic. I loved the fact that so many small butcher's made their own pies in Britain. Down here in NZ it's hard to find a really good Pork Pie.

To answer the questions about Bacon and Egg pie and why it isn't Quiche, is that it's in a Pastry shell, often with a lid and the filling usually contains nothing but Bacon and Egg. A small amount of Onion, or Cheese may be acceptable, but it's all about the Bacon and Egg.

29. - Top - End - #179

I have reached a point in my life where I plan meals around what would be an acceptable vector for mustard.
    My daughter drinks mustard. Well Honey-Mustard. But she drinks it straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Lemon meringue pie, apple pie, and cherry pie are all fairly popular over here
    I was just naming tasty pies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Are Klondike bars chocolate? If so, we don't want them. And if tater tots are what I think they are, they're a school dinner staple.
    Tater tots are what you think they are, Klondike bars are not. They're an ice cream novelty, though chocolate is involved. Much better than typical American chocolate, which I will readily admit is mostly garbage. Actual bars, as opposed to slabs of Hershey's ick, on the other hand...