New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Ashourina! All Hail! (IC 2)

Eos responds to the Lady's words with a soft inclination of his head. Unlike Stilltongue, however, he doesn't inmediately abandon the throne room. He seems quite interested in the discussion between Aldik and Cordelia. He's naturally a cautious man, and thus inclined towards the Archwizard's position... Finally, he offers his opinion:

Myself, I'd prefer caution and to avoid devastation... If only because enslaved villages and razed cities make for excellent propaganda in the hands of our enemies. People must submit to the glorious Queen, but the best slave is always the one who chooses his own chains, he adds with a sly smile.

-------------

When the Queen's servants begin to leave, Eos joins them. He bows himself before the throne one last time.

I shall deliver you both realms, my Queen... If possible, by their own volition.

With a few words, Eos steps into the shadows and he too dissapears. A few minutes later he emerges into the stronghold of the Queen's Whispers, Silversheen Mannor. It is a mansion in the Astral Plane from which Eos's followers are dispatched. The arquitecture is daunting and impossible, with columns and arches which defy gravity and sense.

Eos begins by sending a few of his followers for some information... Knowing is, after all, half the battle. They scout the archives of the Mannor, convoluted corridors which seem connected to one another in a non-linear way. Eventually, his followers return with a few of the documents, which Eos begins to study.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

So... I'd like Eos to use Knowledge (local) to learn more about the two kingdoms he's been tasked with.
    I'm presuming its local, though feel free to correct me. Main concerns for Eos are:

-Reasons for the recent civil war in Rolf (and factions of it)
    -Goverment of Veocral
    -Relations between the two kingdoms
    -Important people to begin checking out...

Though of course you may give whatever info is good for the plot from your point of view :) Anyhow,
    rolling:

(1d20+61)[62]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

The queen listens in silently, taking in all the information. The discord is unfortunate, but she doesn't know a way to avoid it. Not without killing all but one of her underlings. And what would then be the point of having a court? No. She must act, she must choose.

"It is our desire to welcome all peoples into our protection. We wish to see these halflings brought to submission. We are merciful and kind, but if they will not submit freely, it is our command that they will be made to see reason, even if it means their removal from life or other such measures. Lord Whitecastle and the master of Silversheen Manor will complete this task."

She looks over everyone, containing herself. "It furthermore is our wish that Ailde finds the imposter, and removes this individual. We will not tolerate such opposition. The Archwizard will lend his assistance where his expertise is most needed, and Madeline shall lend her assistance in flushing out the assassin, as we believe that it will be proper entertainment. For now, we wish the Lady of the Black Rose to remain with us, there are matters that must be spoken of."

3. - Top - End - #63

The old man chuckles softly at Cordelia's words, but says nothing.

The two traverse the winding stairways and narrow corridors deep in the bowels of the monastery, passing by many magical guardian runes and other deadly traps. Finally, they reach the dungeon. Elodan stops at one of the cells.

"Sir Leonne. What's left of him, anyways."
    Last edited by ValarMorgulis; 2017-04-14 at 10:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchel View Post
    The queen listens in silently, taking in all the information. The discord is unfortunate, but she doesn't know a way to avoid it. Not without killing all but one of her underlings. And what would then be the point of having a court? No. She must act, she must choose.

"It is our desire to welcome all peoples into our protection. We wish to see these halflings brought to submission. We are merciful and kind, but if they will not submit freely, it is our command that they will be made to see reason, even if it means their removal from life or other such measures. Lord Whitecastle and the master of Silversheen Manor will complete this task."

She looks over everyone, containing herself. "It furthermore is our wish that Ailde finds the imposter, and removes this individual. We will not tolerate such opposition. The Archwizard will lend his assistance where his expertise is most needed, and Madeline shall lend her assistance in flushing out the assassin, as we believe that it will be proper entertainment. For now, we wish the Lady of the Black Rose to remain with us, there are matters that must be spoken of."
    It was no suprise that Ashourina took the side of the majority when it came to Malgragaxia. She allowed her ego to be set aside on that front.

But she immediatley realized that she mentioned nothing of Cordelia's proposed plans for the Joyfields. Her confusion as she looked at her Queen was completely visible.

"..."

Was she completely disregarded?

"...as... you wish."

There was anger. But fear and despair as well. She had only wished to prove she could be more than a simple tool. She wished to prove she could be more to her. But her desires continue to go unanswered. What could she do to make her see?

Quote Originally Posted by ValarMorgulis View Post
    The old man chuckles softly at Cordelia's words, but says nothing.

The two traverse the winding stairways and narrow corridors deep in the bowels of the monastery, passing by many magical guardian runes and other deadly traps. Finally, they reach the dungeon. Elodan stops at one of the cells.

"Sir Leonne. What's left of him, anyways."
    Spoiler: Cordelia - Stilltongue = Time to collect what's due, my friend
    Show
    Cordelia looked upon Leonne. Naturally, he looked like hell. Stilltongue's realm has a tendency to do that to those who tarry long. Which Cordelia had no desire to do.

She lifted Leonne by the arm. "Come, Sir Leonne. It's time."
    Last edited by Sir Grave; 2017-04-11 at 10:36 AM.
    Very busy these days and so posting will be sparse.

Extended Sig.

Lady Cordelia of Grimmfell Avatar created by yours truly.

Spoiler: Full image
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65

HalflingPirate

Madeline Shadowstrings

She became too quiet that everyone in the room almost forget she was there.

"As you please big sister!" and she bowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Grave View Post
    There was anger. But fear and despair as well. She had only wished to prove she could be more than a simple tool. She wished to prove she could be more to her. But her desires continue to go unanswered. What could she do to make her see?
    Madeline, knowing Cordelia very well, noted she is pissed off with the outcome, and wanted to comfort her but business isn't over yet and both have to go different ways again.
    Last edited by Drako_Beoulve; 2017-04-11 at 11:02 AM.
    3.99 Project, Trying to Improve the 3.5 version, current fixes:

- Soulknife Fix
    - Samurai Rework
    - Paladin Fix

6. - Top - End - #66

OoC: Eos is the master of Silversheen Manor.

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well past time, I would say." he leans heavily on you, he seems weak, and probably undernourished.

Eos:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OoC: For one thing, it is Noft, not Roft. The first page of the OoC thread under Ashourizar's Immediate Neighbors gives some information, although I'll give more in-depth stuff.

The civil war in Noft started some 35 years ago, although its roots go back almost 60 years. King Gewith had six children, each of which was married to a major house to secure the throne. This would have been a good idea, had the succession not ran into problems. Following King Gewith's death (about 40 years ago), his firstborn (who had fathered a child of his own the previous year) was crowned and went on a tour of the country. During his tour, an inn he was staying in caught fire. He, his child, wife, and several servants all perished. King Gewith's next oldest children were his twin daughters Eylahan and Sibwegh, both of whom claimed to be the rightful heir. Eventually the sisters agreed to rule jointly, and that the throne would pass down the line of the latter one to die. Initially, this seemed to end the conflict, but over the next few years, the sisters grew increasingly at odds as it came to tax policy, and policy towards Veacrol. Sibwegh supported expansion into Veacrol, and believed plunder from Veacrol could pay for the expedition. Eylahan wanted to improve border defenses and thought a war would be too costly. Duke Raymond, who stood to benefit from the war ordered the assassination of Eylahan. Raymond was married to Vaneth, Gewith's forth child.

When vengeance was demanded against Raymond, he claimed he was acting on Sibwegh's orders, which caused Eylahan's heir Donson to declare the agreement to be illegitimate, and claimed to be the rightful king. Sibwegh denied having anything to do with her sister's assassination, and asserted that she was the rightful queen. Raymond, to protect himself, argued that Sibwegh's assassination invalidated her claim, but at the same time, the as Eylahan predeceased her, the throne would not pass to Donson, and that Vaneth was the rightful queen. This started the civil war, nobles joining one of these three factions. Gewith's fifth born supported Donson, while his youngest remained neutral. As the civil war progressed, with further marriages for alliances, the number of claimants multiplied as the power of each faction weakened, giving weaker and weaker nobles an opportunity to press their own claims.

Donson II currently rules as king, being crowned two months ago, and established a truce, pardoning everyone in exchange for peace. However, he is practically bankrupt, and unable to pay his debts, his faction is fracturing and power dwindles. Other nobles are unwilling to pay higher taxes to fund his administration, so it looks like soon the realm will return to war. Factions change quickly, and allegiances between them, there is a saying among the peasantry that you can't throw a stone without hitting a king or queen, as by now, practically every noble house has a claim of some validity. Currently however, major ones include the Eylahanian faction, which follows the line of succession as if Eylahan was the true queen. Raymond's son also still has significant support, claiming to be the rightful queen, his claimed passed from Vaneth. The Gewithians, who follow the descendants of Gewith's sixth son, claiming that bloodshed between kin is an abomination and disqualified everyone who initially participated in the war support Yindil. The Johnsonites have a very dubious claim, stemming from a marriage of Gewith's grandmother, traced down several generations, but during previous truces, managed to get members of house Johnson on the throne. Finally, peasants have grown quite sick of the war, and the taxes required to pay for it, and while not exactly organized, there have been a number of tax revolts.

Veacrol is smaller than Noft, but much more stable. It has been a period of peace (until recently) for nearly a hundred years, with a peaceful transition of power. Previously however, the realm was rather decentralized, the crown exerting little power over the nobility. With queen Julia's ascension, she has managed to significantly centralize. She is a very charismatic leader, and well connected. With this, and a series of political maneuvers to destroy potential rivals, she has expanded royal holdings, and asserted new royal prerogatives, which the nobility essentially accepted. Seeing Noft's turmoil, in the past five years she has conquered significant parts of Noft, nearly unopposed.

Important people to look into for...
    Veacrol: Julia
    Noft: Leaders of the aforementioned factions, Donson II, Durond Greenwood (an as-of-yet unaligned noble, and probably the richest nobles in Noft)

Did I miss anything?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

"As you wish, Your Grace." He bowed deeply, leaving the room after. As much as he wished to hear the undoubtedly heated conversation that was to follow, the Queen's Word was the Law.

-------

As Cordelia left the throne room (or stomped out, one might say), Ailde fell into step beside her.

"Three questions about this assassin. When did this happen, what, if any, magic was used,
    and what did they say? Oh, and if there were any other witnesses I'll need to talk to them too."
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 2017-04-11 at 12:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

8. - Top - End - #68

Elodan hands Cordelia a hood to put over Sir Leonne's head.

What will you do with him?", he asks, although it doesn't sound like he particularly cares about the answer.
    Last edited by ValarMorgulis; 2017-04-14 at 10:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    OoC: Eos is the master of Silversheen Manor.

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well past time, I would say." he leans heavily on you, he seems weak, and probably undernourished.

Quote Originally Posted by ValarMorgulis View Post
    Elodan hands Cordelia a hood to put over Sir Leonne's head.

"What will you do with him?", he asks, although it doesn't sound like he particularly cares about the answer.
    Spoiler: Cordelia - Stilltongue.
    Show
    "He is a traitor to the Queen. He must be made an example of."

She spoke with Leonne softly. "...If only I could have helped the conditions of your prison. For this, I apologize."

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    "As you wish, Your Grace." He bowed deeply, leaving the room after. As much as he wished to hear the undoubtedly heated conversation that was to follow, the Queen's Word was the Law.

-------

As Cordelia left the throne room (or stomped out, one might say), Ailde fell into step beside her.

"Three questions about this assassin. When did this happen, what, if any, magic was used,
    and what did they say? Oh, and if there were any other witnesses I'll need to talk to them too."
    Spoiler: Cordelia - Ailde
    Show
    The door creaked open after quite some time in there. Cordelia didn't seem angry. More disturbed, than anything. But she attempted to hold herself together. It was so difficult with these wounds...

"...Weeks ago. In the dead of night. The day we claimed victory over Thryvaak Sal'Veen.

"Swarms of centipedes were conjured into my chambers. But I was also left with a warning. A visage of Sal'veen... who I knew to be dead.

"He warned me of knives in the dark. That I would be subject to attempts on my life, and to those I care about."

"...The only other one who was with me was my handmaiden, Anna. She was in bed with me when it happened... I saved her life."

Her eyes darkened. "...If you need to question her, I'd suggest you do it soon."

"Is that all?"

Extended Sig.

Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Spoiler: Throne Room - Cordelia
    Show
    Ashourina remains with Cordelia, she has matters to discuss with her champion. Once all the others are gone, she stands up, lightly stepping towards her champion. She brushes her fingers across her face, mystical energy flowing from them, removing her injuries. "Cordelia, our beloved champion, our Lady of the Black Rose. Something is troubling you."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Throne Room - Cordelia
    Show
    Ashourina remains with Cordelia, she has matters to discuss with her champion. Once all the others are gone, she stands up, lightly stepping towards her champion. She brushes her fingers across her face, mystical energy flowing from them, removing her injuries. "Cordelia, our beloved champion, our Lady of the Black Rose. Something is troubling you."
    Cordelia breathed in, slowly, and exhaled. First, protocol.

"...May I speak freely?"

Extended Sig.

Show

12. - Top - End - #72

"You may. You are high in our esteem, and we are eager to hear what you have to say.", the Queen replied kindly.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

A swarm of centipedes? Humans had their flaws, surely, but even he was skeptical. It would most likely take a little bit more to put down the Lady of the Black Rose. Perhaps it was for Anna, her lover, who would have proved far more susceptible. But like she had explained, Cordelia was able to save her.

Most likely it was some sort of psychological attack. The warnings of further attempts on her and her loved ones, the sight of an enemy thought to be dead....

It seemed less likely that it had been Sal'Veen (his code of honour seemed to clash with these actions), though he could not rule it out entirely. He would need to talk to Anna.

"Yes, I suppose. I'm sure Anna can answer any other questions I have."

Ailde paused for a moment. He didn't entirely trust Cordelia. She seemed too brash, too ready to pick up a sword when a quill would do. But he felt it needed to be said.

"I do this out of no ill-will towards you, Lady Cordelia...but I feel that it would be best to talk to Anna alone."
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

"You may. You are high in our esteem, and we are eager to hear what you have to say.", the Queen replied kindly.
    Cordelia had no desire to disrespect her queen. No desire to threaten her. She turned away.

"You speak those words, Queen, but I feel you do not mean them. And don't bother to deny.

"You can only lie enough times before I simply piece the evidence together myself.

"You don't hold me in high esteem. You see me as a tool. A means to an end.

"I've always known this. Do you truly think I am so naive? That I don't understand that I'm just some insignificant drop of water amidst your vast ocean of life as it were?

"Yet I still serve. I remain loyal. In the hopes that you will see how worthy I am. How I can be more.

She had paced her way to one of the pillars on the left side of the room.

"But then, how can I be different from the ones before me? They served loyally. They loved you.

"Where was Ralidar? Where did he end up?

"Cast out from your presence! Left to suffer in a barren wasteland that was once his home! Waiting for me to kill him!

"Is this how your devoted servants are rewarded?! Is this what will happen to me?!"

CRACK!!

Her fist slammed into the pillar, the strength of her blow left a spidering crack as stone crumpled to the ground.

"...You swore... you would never abandon me.

"You took me, a broken woman, forsaken by all that she loved. And you swore you would never abandon me.

"You could have just let me die.

"But you wanted to use me..."

Her trembling hand fell to the side, and she turned to her queen.

"...I had hoped it was more. I ignored the truth.

"I only wanted to see you smile. I only wanted you to be happy."

She approached her Queen. She felt the need to touch her, just to graze her hand across her cheek.

"...I..."

Cordelia could not say it. She resisted, kneeling instead.

"Tell me I can be more to you. Tell me how I can be worthy of your love.

"Tell me what I must do."

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    A swarm of centipedes? Humans had their flaws, surely, but even he was skeptical. It would most likely take a little bit more to put down the Lady of the Black Rose. Perhaps it was for Anna, her lover, who would have proved far more susceptible. But like she had explained, Cordelia was able to save her.

Most likely it was some sort of psychological attack. The warnings of further attempts on her and her loved ones, the sight of an enemy thought to be dead....

It seemed less likely that it had been Sal'Veen (his code of honour seemed to clash with these actions), though he could not rule it out entirely. He would need to talk to Anna.

"Yes, I suppose. I'm sure Anna can answer any other questions I have."

Ailde paused for a moment. He didn't entirely trust Cordelia. She seemed too brash, too ready to pick up a sword when a quill would do. But he felt it needed to be said.

"I do this out of no ill-will towards you, Lady Cordelia...but I feel that it would be best to talk to Anna alone."
    Spoiler: Cordelia - Ailde = Yeesh. I'm not a baby :P
    Show
    Cordelia's steely eyes met Ailde's gaze, to clearly communicate her resentment. "I can manage without your coddling. Thank you."

She walked past the mage-hunter, the soft clanking of her boots echoing through the halls. "Do what you must. I've other matters to attend to."

Last edited by Sir Grave; 2017-04-12 at 01:25 PM.

Extended Sig.

Show

15. - Top - End - #75

Ashourina could be described as many things, and one of the most common was heartless. There were only a few who knew the truth, who knew that she loved, that she cared. It was a hidden place, far away from mortal eyes. She doesn't love Cordelia, she sees her as a tool. But some tools are more valuable than others, and so, for the first time in the presence of her champion, the queen shows shock on her face. And not merely shock, there is a deep sadness, along with pain.

"Cordelia, I...", she lets a silence drop, showing her confusion.

After a pause, she breathes in deeply before continuing in a weak voice, filled with emotion: "Please, don't say such things. We, I, I care deeply for you. More than you can imagine. You aren't like the others, because there is something in you, something that I saw once, a long time ago. I, I am sorry for making you feel like this. But everything I did, I did it to help you. To let you become who you are. Ralidar was different, he lacked the heart that you have. He didn't believe in my vision for the world. You're not like that, Cordelia."

Again, she pauses, standing in front of Cordelia with slumped shoulders, looking down at her champion. Slowly, she squats down, placing her thin fingers on her cheeks: "I don't need you to prove your worthiness, because you are more than worthy. But, I have a confession to make."

She looks into Cordelia's eyes: "We are surrounded by treason. You and me both. I, I wanted to spare you this, I planned on arranging an accident to spare you the pain. Anna, the girl who has drawn your eye. She, she. No, I should not tell you. I should spare you."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

For the first time, It seemed, her words broke through the Ashourina's icy shell, and she was heard. But before Cordelia had time to process the Queen's change in tone, she had brought up Anna.

"..."

"What has she done?"

Extended Sig.

Show

17. - Top - End - #77

"She, she has been plotting. She works with those who resist my rule.", Ashourina said, almost whispering it, "She has a mission, and that is to take you away, my dearest Cordelia. She has been sent and trained to win you over, to seek to undo all that we have worked on. I am sorry."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

"..."

Could that be true?

From the moment she had met Anna, she was taken to her. Perhaps it was simply her appearance... she had almost looked like her Queen, and she had slept with her at a time where she felt scorned by Ashourina. Or it was the fact she felt the overwhelming need to protect someone, to have them under her care. Perhaps it was simple lonliness, or depression. The longing for a life she once had.

The attempts on her life. Turning her against other members of the court. Portraying Ashourina as threatening her. Just the other day she had been found with another in her own chambers.

Had she simply turned a blind eye to it?

...Or was this simply another lie?

Who should she believe?

One thing was for certain. There was a choice. Perhaps it wasn't a matter of whom she should believe.

Perhaps it was more of a matter of who she wished to believe.

This was the Queen's test of will. Who would keep Cordelia's heart? Anna? Or Ashourina?

It was for Cordelia to decide.

"...I see."

She stood."...you've shown me much, my Queen.

"...I must meditate on this. Decide where I should place my faith. For I do not see the way.

Last edited by Sir Grave; 2017-04-12 at 03:27 PM.

Extended Sig.

Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Grave/rweird
    Show
    He nodded, once again wondering what had transpired. Perhaps, he would ask the Queen, when he brought her the head of the 'assassin'. "I have no doubt of that, I..."

But by then she had already walked away.

"Very well." Ailde could live with hurting a human's feelings. He walked further into the castle, finding a guard who didn't look too stupid.

"Take me to Lady Cordelia's room. I must speak with her handmaiden Anna."
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 2017-04-12 at 03:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Ailde:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guard leads you up a tower to Cordelia's chambers. Anna is looking out the window over Grimfell. She turns as you enter with a start, stumbling backwards, back pressed against the wall.

Cordelia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I think I've been in a gilded prison long enough, but thank you for your concern."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Ailde stepped in, dismissing the guard.

"I mean you no harm. I am Ailde Eònan, in service to the Queen. Im conducting an investigation into the attack you and Cordelia suffered a while ago. Your assistance would be appreciated." Conjuring a high-backed chair from nothingness, he sat down and made another for Anna.

"Please, sit down."

Show
    As he has a constant Greater Arcane Sight active, he quickly looks her over for anything unusual.

22. - Top - End - #82

Ailde: The only notable thing about Anna is a crystal on her forehead, although you don't detect any magical auras.

Anna approaches tentatively. She gives a start when you mention "the Queen" and a second when you conjure a chair. She sits on the edge of the bed instead, obviously suspicious. "How can I be of assistance?" she asks warily. "Where is Cordelia?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rweird/Anna
    Show
    "She's busy, on other important matters for the Queen. And I wished to speak to you alone. On that note, nothing you say to me will be told to to anyone else, except the Queen should she ask about you in particular. Though I expect you are not in her realm of focus."

As he paused, he looked around the room. Nothing he found particularly interesting.

"I was wondering who knows about your relationship with Lady Cordelia. Friends, other servants, perhaps family...?"

24. - Top - End - #84

Ailde:
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the mention of wanting to talk alone she gives another start, rising and making for the door. It is obvious Anna doesn't believe you when claim she is "not in [Ashourina's] realm of focus." "Other servants almost certainly. Soldiers, hell, it probably is the gossip of the entire city by now if not beyond. Velduvian, his fey, the Queen, at least one shape changer who takes Cordelia's form. Possibly a second. On one occasion it seduced me, on another it reported to Cordelia something about traitors."

Anna seems uncomfortable with this, like you are playing at something to torment her. She also seems to be trying to deflect attention away from people she knows well, although she doesn't think any of them would be responsible for the assassination attempts. She also seems suspicious of your claim that this is confidential, or that Cordelia would approve. While in recent days she's had no shortage of powerful figures popping in and out of her life, there is little indication that she knows who you are, and she obviously doesn't trust you one bit.

OoC: I believe the room has some magical auras in it. I think like a permanent private sanctum, maybe forbiddance or some other sort of defensive spell like that which can be made permanent. Sorry I neglected to mention that earlier.
    Last edited by rweird; 2017-04-12 at 11:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

At the mention of the Fey King's name, Ailde could barely hide his look of disgust. The Courts of Pandemonium and Arborea escaped his onslaught, hidden with powerful magic, but he had heard tales of the hundreds upon hundreds that were not so lucky. Both of them served the Queen for now, however...

Well, that train of thought went nowhere. As efficient as his inquisitors were, even they could not process the entire city.

Ailde composed himself. "I know that you don't believe me, but I swear on The Blood that I am trying to help you. Would you be more comfortable talking in another place, perhaps? I don't believe Cordelia is available, but anywhere else is available."

26. - Top - End - #86

"You think I'm withholding information about who tried to kill me?" Anna asks incredulously. "Why are you really here? To help me?" She scoffs. She seems uncomfortable with you maintaining what she obviously views as a charade.

Her making for the door was to get away from you, rather than to go anywhere else.
    Last edited by rweird; 2017-04-13 at 09:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Cordelia - Contemplating
    Show
    The room Cordelia meditated in was secluded, dark and cold. She had avoided this practice often, usually she was not able to quiet her mind. But now, it was necessary in order to proceed.
    The smell of the incense flooded her nostrils. She breathed. And then she began observing.

Her heart was split between her Queen, and her handmaiden. It has caused much conflict as of late. She had no desire to give up either, but the time had come where she needed to make a choice.

But who loved her? Who lied to her?

This was the wrong train of thought, she found. She cannot reasonably assess what was reality in this scenario. She continued to observe, going deeper than her thoughts.

What did she want?
    Why does she serve Ashourina? To Cordelia, Ashourina is everything. Her sense of purpose. The reason she does what she does. There isn't a moment where Ashourina strays from her thoughts.

Why does she serve Anna? Anna listened to her. She dared to love Cordelia in spite of everything she took from her. She is kind, affectionate.

... or was that only because Cordelia needed her to be these things?

This was a time where it seemed Ashourina did not truly love Cordelia. She thought herself as nothing but a weapon and needed a moment where she felt human. She needed someone's affection. Someone to love her. And it was so easy to simply invite a handmaiden into her chambers, and then into her life.

But now... now she wonders if Ashourina is more than what she seems. She saw for herself. She emoted with Cordelia. What she felt was impossible had become possible.
    Was there hope? Could Cordelia prove her worthiness to Ashourina? Could Ashourina be come to love Cordelia the way Cordelia loved her?

Did she really need Anna?

But she swore to protect her...

An hour had passed. She stood.
    She knew what she had to do.

Last edited by Sir Grave; 2017-04-13 at 10:50 AM.

Extended Sig.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

For a moment, he thought about merely crushing her will and getting the information he wanted through magic. No, that would just turn Cordelia against me.

Ailde sighed, getting up. Shapechangers and tyrants. It was enough to make anyone paranoid, especially a simple handmaiden. "Very well. I can see I'm not getting anywhere. If there's anything you find later that you wish to tell me, Cordelia can contact me. A pleasure to meet you."

He bowed slightly, leaving the room. A moment later, the two chairs vanished, as if they had never existed at all.

What to do now? Sal'Veen's fortress had been overrun days ago, but there might be some valuable clues there. Though if Sal'Veen was still alive, he would be an idiot to return to a fortress that was razed to the ground.

Still, it was better than nothing. Returning back home, he fetched his staff and readied his magic for whatever task was ahead.

Show
    Realized I didn't prepare my Tome Ranger spells,
    so I'm doing it now. Using up one charge from the Staff of Passage for Teleporting to Sal'Veen's fortress.
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 2017-04-13 at 11:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Later, Cordelia went to her chambers, where she would find Anna. Her steps were soft. Her expression calm.

She opened the door. Saw her handmaiden. Though she had become so much more to her.

"...Anna."

Anna at first seemed paranoid or concerned, but it fell away when Cordelia arrived. She smiled, approaching Cordelia and kissing her. "I'm really glad you're back. How was the mission?"

Cordelia looked away. "...successful."

There was an awkward pause. Anna noticed something was off. "...Cordelia, what's the matter?"

Cordelia was compelled to memorize the details of Anna's face. Especially her eyes. There was something she hadn't noticed before... her eyes were slightly different from her Queen's. Slightly more green.

"I..."

Cordelia placed a hand on Anna's cheek. "I love you, Anna. You know this, right?"

"No matter what happens, I will always love you."

Anna was concerned. "...I know you do.
    "What's wrong?"

Cordelia took Anna in her embrace. She wished to hold her. She held on for a long few moments, to soak her in, to feel her warmth.

A tear strolled down Cordelia's cheek before her eyes darkened...

"...I'm sorry."

Her powers manifested, the necromancy flooded Anna's body and soul. Cordelia had hoped it would be quick. Her regret was that it wasn't. Anna somehow managed to resist, she struggled in vain to escape Cordelia's hold.

"No Anna! Please... just let go..."

She continued to drain her life force. "...Just let go..."

"It'll be over soon..."

The struggle became less, until it was no more.

Anna had died.

Cordelia knelt, holding Anna's body in her arms before gently placing her on floor. She stared long at her pale, lifeless face, staring blankly at nothing.

Cordelia closed Anna's eyes as a pair of guards came charging in. "Milady! We heard distress! What happened?"

She grazed her hand across Anna's cheek.

"...She was a traitor to the Queen."
    Last edited by Sir Grave; 2017-04-13 at 12:26 PM.

Extended Sig.

Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Ailde:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sal'Veen's fortress is relatively intact, although damage is visible on the tower and the wall on top of the gate. moderate abjuration is present in some parts of the fortress, and in a large part of the sky above, although parts are removed. The area is still Hallowed (IIRC). Aldik has been working to dismantle Sal'Veen's wards. I don't remember if the slain were animated or not, I think they weren't, but don't really recall.