New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Hinjo miniature (on foot and mounted on Argent)

I've always had a love of painting figures and a couple of months ago I decided to start my own project to create a model for Hinjo, one of my favourite OotS characters.

Here's the work in progress thread where I go through how I finished this. It was great fun, and I'm looking forward to using it in a game sometime.

If this thread should be in a different subforum please report it and get the mods to move it: I wasn't sure but here seemed like the best.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Hinjo miniature (on foot and mounted on Argent)

Given the wolf's name (Argent) and its appearance in the comic, I would have thought it should be silver or white? Other than that, awesome job!

3. - Top - End - #3

Yeah I did think of painting Argent different colours but the model i had for the wolf was proportionally larger than in the comic. It would have been a bit too much of a contrast (and to be fair I kept it a light grey) but if I were to do it again I might give it a shot.

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

This looks awesome.

6. - Top - End - #6

Just quickly showing the Show Off thread for this with slightly better quality photos and a little more shading done: not a massive update but if you want to check it out it's here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You probably already know this but I think the cloaks are a weak spot. They dont have any obvious attachment points, and seem very flat and square. Ideally I think the cloak would look like it either fastened onto the breastplate with clasps, or wrapped around the neck with a brooch holding it in place. I think they could also do with being wider, so that they looked like they could be at least partially wrapped around the body, and given more folds or curvature. The one on the foot figure seems to hang slightly strangely, largely for that reason I think.

But that's the sort of criticism I would give a professional sculpt. For a first-time effort at a cloak they're very good. Certainly better than anything I've ever sculpted.

Painting-wise it's a decent job but the breastplate looks a little messy. This is often a problem with (almost) pure white areas and particularly when painted over black as it's hard to get a smooth finish. When painting pure white now - mostly on horses - what I tend to do is give the area a coat of light grey (even when starting from a white undercoat) and then layer the white over the top of it. This not only allows for better and smoother coverage but also helps give the white a bit more solidity and contrast without really detracting from its "whiteness".

I think a contributory factor is that the belt isn't painted its own colour, which adds to the impression that the torso of the figure isn't finished. If you were to paint that grey (which I think it should be anyway, from the comics) and preferably blackline it it would neaten up the chest area. I think there might also be an element of incongruity between the top and bottom halves of Hinjo's torso armour, since the colour change makes it look like the top and bottom portions are separate pieces. Again, in the comic the white extends below the belt, and I think incorporating some white into the thigh portions of the armour would give it more continuity.

I might also suggest that his hair could be brighter. I don't know how "realistic" a look you want to go for, though, and it might be that the lighting in the pictures doesn't do the figure justice.

Overall though it's a cool idea and a good job.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)