New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Andromeda II: Stay Strong and Clear!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The developers and creatives can leave, but they can't take anything (including the names "Bioware" and "Mass Effect") with them.
    People unionize over fair wages and unsafe workspaces not "we wanna make Mass Effect 5 and not Broshooter 15".

2. - Top - End - #422
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    People unionize over fair wages and unsafe workspaces not "we wanna make Mass Effect 5 and not Broshooter 15".
    Not sure how unionizing comes into it. The posts I was responding to began with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Unlike, say, the ME3 ending controversy, this is an issue where it's clearly EA at fault, rather than Bioware. Bioware don't get to decide to make more DLC if EA rules that it's not financially viable, they presumably didn't get a choice about which studio with which to make the game and if EA starts closing down their studios and cannibalising their workforce, their only option is to leave EA's employ entirely.
    The options there are "stay with EA" or "leave" - neither of which (apparently) allow them to make more Mass Effect, DLC or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

A thought occurred to me just now. If the Arks are traveling at such ridiculous speed to the Andromeda galaxy, why put anyone in cryo at all? Shouldn't the trip be instantaneous for everyone, given time dilation?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    A thought occurred to me just now. If the Arks are traveling at such ridiculous speed to the Andromeda galaxy, why put anyone in cryo at all? Shouldn't the trip be instantaneous for everyone, given time dilation?
    Time Dilation only happens in relativistic physics. Going FTL is decidedly non-relativistic.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Time dilation means that the accelerating person experiences less time than the non-accelerating person. If it takes the people in the arks six hundred years to get to Andromeda, that's the amount of time they experience, not the amount of time that the people in the Milky Way experience. That's going to be on the order of hundreds of thousands to millions of years.

(If ME wasn't cheating and shooting people around faster than light. Once you start doing that pretty much any answer to the question "what date is it where we left?" is acceptable. Including yesterday. Which conveniently enough means that FTL literally happens according to the timetable of plot. )
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked Andromeda about as much as I liked ME1, so I was looking forward to what was going to happen next. Damn.

I also feel bad for Bioware, but it's not like this was unexpected:

Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Now that I've maxed out almost all my rare and uncommon cards (just 4 uncommon great remaining) the game is dropping me much more in the way of level IV consumables. On Monday I finally managed a solo gold extraction.

Just once more for Best of the Best!

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I gotta admit I'm pretty much done with Bioware, and for once I think it's gonna stick and that's mainly because of the DLC thing. Bioware has pulled many last-minute saves with their DLCs in the past, which tend to take all the anger/disappointment I felt about the game and end it on a high note.

DA2 had Legacy and Mark of the Assassin, both of which brought the party to a new region with new maps and even brought back our missing sibling for a romp. By the time I was done with them, I was willing to forgive the original game's pathetic reuse of environments (particularly where it wasn't justified) and crippled character development, because the DLCs brought these traits in spades along with a lot of humor. Snarky, snarky humor.

Mass Effect 3 had Citadel, which focused on the fun, the adventure, and the exceptional characters the franchise had built. It was a love letter to all the good parts of the games, amped up to the nines and packaged as pure unadulterated awesome. I still hate the ending of the game, even with the extended cut, with a burning passion, but that's no longer what I think of when I play the game. I think of my entire crew standing on a catwalk, guns blazing downward at baddies, with Wrex laughing and yelling "This is why I love hanging with you guys!". I think of a deeply troubled Shepard musing on how they say the line "I should go". I think of Grunt cheerfully denying people access to the after party. And so one of games that has ticked me off the most in my history as a gamer (just ask Psyren, who jousted with me regularly in my rage) ends bringing a smile to my face when I think back on it.

Dragon Age Inquisition managed to counter the dreary combat and gameplay of the game with a story-rich chapter that not just tightens up some loose threads and shows some consequences, but actually gives the Inquisitor one thing Hawke and the Warden never got: closure.

MEA? Won't get that. All I will have to think back on is a decent but fairly lackluster game that was fun for a little while but ultimately not very satisfying, riddled with absurd bugs, cringe-worthy lines, and countless loose ends swinging in the breeze. And what's following this low note? A Destiny clone I have zero interest in. Which is a shame. For a very long time, the Bioware label alone was enough to interest me. "I don't know what Star Wars has to do with Bioware, but it'll probably be good." "A kung fu action game done by an RPG company? Strange, but Bioware has done more with less." DA2 was the first time they really disappointed me, but until now they always made their saving throws with great DLC. Now I have trouble caring enough to be disappointed.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #429

I've hung up my lance, friend, and agree. They've reversed their fortunes before with excellent DLC. Now, I have no plans to preorder Anthem and it will have to be stellar for me to even consider a purchase at all. Considering how entrenched my IRL friends are all planning to get into Destiny I don't expect that to change.

The worst part is that if Anthem fails, I just know that EA is going to give up, flush Bioware, focus on Battlefield and Madden and that will be the end of that.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #430

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The worst part is that if Anthem fails, I just know that EA is going to give up, flush Bioware, focus on Battlefield and Madden and that will be the end of that.
    I don't know. Anthem is set on fall 2018, and Dragon Age 4 is in pre-production. They might not axe Bioware if DA4 production is going well and they've already sunk resources on it.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Dear Origin:

Your policy of "We don't sell DLCs, we sell points that you can use to buy DLCs" is really ****ing annoying. If I have to go to a separate website, run by someone else, to figure out how to get DLCs, your system sucks varren ****.

Sincerely,
    Everybody
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Dear Origin:

Your policy of "We don't sell DLCs, we sell points that you can use to buy DLCs" is really ****ing annoying. If I have to go to a separate website, run by someone else, to figure out how to get DLCs, your system sucks varren ****.

Sincerely,
    Everybody
    Ah, so that's how scale itch got onboard the ship...
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

13. - Top - End - #433

OldWizardGuy

If you need to release your stuff outside your own digital distribution platform, you know it's bad. *Click* And yes, that's legit and works for DLC you own.

So, for the sake of discussion: remake/remaster of the original trilogy, yay or nay?
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2017-09-16 at 05:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    If you need to release your stuff outside your own digital distribution platform, you know it's bad. *Click* And yes, that's legit and works for DLC you own.

So, for the sake of discussion: remake/remaster of the original trilogy, yay or nay?
    I think an ME:EE that ported the ME3 system onto ME would be interesting.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #435

Ah, so that's how scale itch got onboard the ship...

Nice!

ME1 pasted on the MEA engine with the revamped Mako handling controls would be interesting.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, experiencing the original story with game mechanics that don't make me weep tears of blood would have its charm. On the other hand... it feels like a bit of a cash-grab to revamp the original game after the newest one flopped. So I don't know.

Game mechanics and quests aside, when I see clips from ME1 somewhere, some of the dialogue feels very stilted.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.