New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    *** Furthermore, may not be surprised when the later big Outsider-Corrupted Gold Dragon boss fight is resolved by force-feeding the dragon fifty kilos of magic plastic explosive when it inhales to use its breath weapon.
    **** This is not a boss fight from the Legend of Zelda.
    Last edited by goto124; 2017-06-23 at 07:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

*If my players keep comparing my campaign to the Dark Souls series, that is probably because their characters keep getting kicked off cliffs too much.
    **Yes, this is a problem even if everyone has access to Feather Fall.
    ***Even if I house-rule it so that the players resurrect automatically at a specific point, one character fatality per combat is probably a bit too much.
    ****Especially if there's a limit to resurrection without side effects.

Spoiler: Context
    Show
    I don't play Dark Souls myself, but I hear that it's a bit like that. That it's really, really, really hard, and dying is extremely frequent.

*May not keep making Undertale references.

Spoiler: Context
    Show
    I haven't done this, but I probably would if I had the opportunity.

No regrets.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Changeling: the Lost:

*Not allowed to play a PC with every time/fate manipulating power.
    **May not re-use the character sheet for a villain.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    *May not keep making Undertale references.
    ** My character may not use Floweys attacks in ki blast battles
    *** My character will not eventually use a Super Form thats basically cosplaying as Asriel, God of Hyperdeath.
    **** My character's daughter is not a Majin version of Papyrus
    ***** My character is a not a prankster who uses Dogsong every time someone gets trolled
    ****** May not invent an entirely new DBZ race to use Determination
    ******* Especially if its just an enhanced human
    ******** My character's battle theme is not Hopes and Dreams, nor is her character's daughter battle theme Bonetrousle
    ********* May not make Cosplays to gain access to various undertale themed attacks
    ********** Especially Sans, given how gamebreaking a martial arts style based on him would be.

Making NONE of this up.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ** My character may not use Floweys attacks in ki blast battles
    *** My character will not eventually use a Super Form thats basically cosplaying as Asriel, God of Hyperdeath.
    **** My character's daughter is not a Majin version of Papyrus
    ***** My character is a not a prankster who uses Dogsong every time someone gets trolled
    ****** May not invent an entirely new DBZ race to use Determination
    ******* Especially if its just an enhanced human
    ******** My character's battle theme is not Hopes and Dreams, nor is her character's daughter battle theme Bonetrousle
    ********* May not make Cosplays to gain access to various undertale themed attacks
    ********** Especially Sans, given how gamebreaking a martial arts style based on him would be.

Making NONE of this up.
    ...What system were you playing?

Also, glad to meet a fellow Undertale fan.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

...What system were you playing?

Also, glad to meet a fellow Undertale fan.
    Freeform. No system. Not all roleplaying needs that many rules. Sometimes all you need is a calm mind, willingness to negotiate and be open to any awesome idea that someone might come up with.

But yes, glad to meet one in return.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Freeform. No system. Not all roleplaying needs that many rules. Sometimes all you need is a calm mind, willingness to negotiate and be open to any awesome idea that someone might come up with.

But yes, glad to meet one in return.
    Okay. Was it fun?

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. Was it fun?
    It is fun, its still going, right here on these boards, the DBZ roleplay. I get to do cool action fights, make lots of funny jokes explore various stuff about the DB universe, its awesome.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

It is fun, its still going, right here on these boards, the DBZ roleplay. I get to do cool action fights, make lots of funny jokes explore various stuff about the DB universe, its awesome.
    Oh, really? I'm not a DB fan myself, but if you're having fun, good for you.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

* When the rules and setting collide I must follow the setting.
    ** My lower class character should not be able to legally summon demons.

* Even if I have a licence for it, revealing the entirety of creation to my opponent for Trek seconds should not be my opening move.
    ** Entirely because it drives the victim so insane they enter a days long coma.
    *** Can no longer use the magnitude of the universe as a less lethal weapon.

Spoiler: Explanation
    Show
    This is all possible in Victoriana, although people are aren't good mages aren't supposed to be able to get licences for these spells. The 'entirety of the universe in two seconds' spell is potentially the best disabling spell in the corebook, sending the recipient into a coma, all for only two Quintessence. Revealing the entirety of creation is so cheap a dedicated mage can probably spam it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

* I may no longer place lethal virus payloads in 'happy-dream-chips' before first checking how widely they are going to be distributed.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    * I may no longer place lethal virus payloads in 'happy-dream-chips' before first checking how widely they are going to be distributed.
    **May not suggest that this is because if the distribution isn't wide enough and in sufficient quantity, the body count will be too low.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-06-24 at 07:53 AM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

13. - Top - End - #313

* When the DM hands me an artifact that changes my alignment to Chaotic Evil, and tells me, "Don't play this Stupid Evil," that does not mean, "Be so subtle about it that you spend a year and a half of the game murdering people and devouring their souls for fun and power before the party paladin discovers your change of heart by pure happenstance."

* I am not allowed to apply physics to superpowers only when it's convenient to me.
    ** I am not allowed to apply physics to superpowers at all.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    * When the DM hands me an artifact that changes my alignment to Chaotic Evil, and tells me, "Don't play this Stupid Evil," that does not mean, "Be so subtle about it that you spend a year and a half of the game murdering people and devouring their souls for fun and power before the party paladin discovers your change of heart by pure happenstance."
    I once was going to play a subtle evil character for 2-4 sessions before making a massive large ham 'and now the city shall bow before me' speech and blowing up city hall and every lawyer he could (half out of pettiness, he got sued a lot because he caused collateral damage). Unfortunately the giant Space laser was discovered during session zero of the plan, and I never got to come up with a good motivation.

The space laser became a recurring campaign element and was eventually destroyed in the penultimate session because too many people were hacking into it (to the point my replacement character hacked into it to upload a virus to stop people hacking into it, although the next villain to hack it immediately stopped the virus).

* I am not allowed to apply physics to superpowers only when it's convenient to me.
    ** I am not allowed to apply physics to superpowers at all.
    *** Especially when the superpowers are explicitly FTL.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Colossus in the Playground

*Describing my fanfic to people in extremely vague terms should not result in people asking why we're not playing that.

Has not happened to me(though I do write fanfiction) but I've heard about it happening to others.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    *** Especially when the superpowers are explicitly FTL.
    *May never have an FTL anything if I'm going to try and apply physics to it.
    **May not blow up the campaign setting. Again.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-06-24 at 10:54 PM.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    *May never have an FTL anything if I'm going to try and apply physics to it.
    **May not blow up the campaign setting. Again.
    Ah, the issue of trying to explain why FTL is problematic to people who haven't heard the basics. I can sort of get them to acknowledge that it might require you to have energy greater than infinity (and infinite energy already destroys the universe), but anything to do with how time stops working like normal goes over their heads. Heck, I have enough terrible getting people to acknowledge the dangers of relativistic travel.

* May not complain when my FTL missile doesn't destroy the universe.

* Must remember that when most people here 'John Snow' they think of the A Song of Ice and Fire character, not the English doctor that created Epidemiology.
    ** Yes, it is my fault the party has no warrior, I should not have played a doctor.
    *** If a plague hits a city I am supposed to let the priests cure it with magic, not immediately apply logic and attempt to track down the cause.
    **** Can not set any of this up as a GM.

Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Ah, the issue of trying to explain why FTL is problematic to people who haven't heard the basics. I can sort of get them to acknowledge that it might require you to have energy greater than infinity (and infinite energy already destroys the universe), but anything to do with how time stops working like normal goes over their heads. Heck, I have enough terrible getting people to acknowledge the dangers of relativistic travel.

* May not complain when my FTL missile doesn't destroy the universe.
    *If the DM uses "warp drive" to get around the FTL limit, may not point out that some theoretical physicists predict that high-energy particles would build up on the warp field bubble and discharge when the warp field drops, potentially obliterating all life in whatever solar system thr ship drops out of warp into.

** Yes, it is my fault the party has no warrior, I should not have played a doctor.
    ***May not point out that thanks to a certain Time Lord, in some languages throughout the galaxy the word "doctor" means "great warrior."
    Show

Gnomish proverb

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

*If the DM uses "warp drive" to get around the FTL limit, may not point out that some theoretical physicists predict that high-energy particles would build up on the warp field bubble and discharge when the warp field drops, potentially obliterating all life in whatever solar system thr ship drops out of warp into.
    I'm in a writers group where a lot of hopeful science fiction authors use warp drive for FTL, then sound confused when I ask them how they deal with the radiation. I myself have completely moved to wormholes as my preferred solution, they're faster and I can have them closing properly be safe (while closing then improperly is as dangerous as required).

Plus with warp I always point out it looks like it requires energy on scales of several Jupiters at minimum (which is likely a problem for wormholes as well, I'll admit, but there's not as much easily available information). It's insanely energy intensive, I suspect most societies would limit themselves to small factions of c for most applications.

***May not point out that thanks to a certain Time Lord, in some languages throughout the galaxy the word "doctor" means "great warrior."
    **** May not start using this as an excuse to say I'm not that kind of doctor.

Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm in a writers group where a lot of hopeful science fiction authors use warp drive for FTL, then sound confused when I ask them how they deal with the radiation. I myself have completely moved to wormholes as my preferred solution, they're faster and I can have them closing properly be safe (while closing then improperly is as dangerous as required).

Plus with warp I always point out it looks like it requires energy on scales of several Jupiters at minimum (which is likely a problem for wormholes as well, I'll admit, but there's not as much easily available information). It's insanely energy intensive, I suspect most societies would limit themselves to small factions of c for most applications.

**** May not start using this as an excuse to say I'm not that kind of doctor.
    It's only some theorists who expect the high-energy-particle buildup to be an issue, so it may not happen in the first place. It may also be possible to either use the drive in short burts so it never gathers up a significant quantity in the first place, if the particles would "stick" to the warp bubble at all.

As for the energy requirement, the warp field generator Alcubierre proposed, in the precise form he wrote about, would take a Jupiter or two and is unfeasible, but I half-remember reading something from JPL where it was proposed that you could cut way down on the energy requirement (to about a Voyager probe's mass of exotic matter instead of Jupiter) by altering the projector's shape from a thin ring to a thicker torus and fiddling about with the field boundary, or something to that effect.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

21. - Top - End - #321
    Colossus in the Playground

*Crossover settings are fine, but for the love of God do not give Bonesaw a Kaleidostick in the background of a Worm/Nasu crososver roleplay.
    **Or a Florence Nightingale Berserker Class Card. That's how you get Franken Frans.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-06-25 at 03:32 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Barbarian in the Playground

*In Part-time Gods, may not pick Dominions that overlap with any of the powers of a main character in Worm
    **Or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    ***or Heroes
    ****or actual mythology
    *****I may only play as the god of things like breakfast cereal and bodybuilding.
    ******may not solve every problem with Lucky Charms marshmallow magic and "crunchatizing" people.

*May not encourage my Pathfinder group to play an All-Witch/Witch-adjacent party so that we can exploit Coven.
    **Especially no trying to get them to build the cast of Candyland.
    ***May not play a Winter/Gingerbread Witch as Queen Frostine.

*Implanting death-triggered Breath of Life bombs in my friends' torsos is not a good substitute to Raise Dead.
    **Not even if it is cheaper and more efficient.
    ***Invasive surgery of any kind is out unless the person is already dying

23. - Top - End - #323

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    ***Invasive surgery of any kind is out unless the person is already dying
    welp, there goes down the drain a promising future enterprise...

my teammate's got a few:

*no letting the shy guy play the face.
    **no letting the shy guy be a drug dealer.
    ***no letting the shy guy be an organ trafficker.
    ****no letting the shy guy be all of the above simultaneously. ever again. seriously, 3 characters were creepy and efficient enough.
    *****besides, intimidation checks do not involve yourself eating your own (spare) liver to prove a point. yes, even if it works.
    ******that goes for brains, too. "legitimate" businessmen don't zack out during negotiations.

and digodragon wonders why i keep large blunt objects in the "anaesthetics" section of my medikit...
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

24. - Top - End - #324

Imp

*May not try to recreate Gold Morning from Worm.
    **Not even from Khepri's perspective.
    ***Especially not from Scion's perspective.

*Not allowed to steal villains from Worm to fight my PCs.
    **This also applies to Pact and Twig.
    ***Not allowed to steal heroes, either.

*Earbuds do not count as bondage equipment, no matter how easily they get tangled.
    **They are not garrotes either.
    ***Improvised wiring is acceptable.
    ****Using earbuds and heavy metal to fight the God-Machine will get you killed.

*There are no mechanics for PTSD.
    **That is not a challenge.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Pixie in the Playground

* Not allowed to choose every single spell related to tentacles, and to cast only these
    ** Nor i can use illusions to simulate tentacle-related spells
    *** The alienist is NOT allowed in this setting
    **** I CAN'T introduce myself as "tentacles mage"
    ***** Mind flayers are not my friends (the same is true for any aberrathion)
    ****** I cannot make my charachter more creepy and monstrous than any villain
    ******* Even if i max out diplomacy to be accepted as normal
    ******** SPECIALLY if i max out diplomacy

26. - Top - End - #326
    Spamalot in the Playground

*May not point out that thanks to a certain Time Lord, in some languages throughout the galaxy the word "doctor" means "great warrior."
    ** Doctors Without Borders is not the name of my mercenary guild.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Belac93 View Post
    *There are no mechanics for PTSD.
    **That is not a challenge.
    In shadowrun there is.

***I may no longer get my team into missions that result in one of them getting PTSD.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    ** Doctors Without Borders is not the name of my mercenary guild.
    *** It is also not the name of the doctors' union.
    **** Or an organization that aims to bring doctors to all parts of the world.
    Last edited by goto124; 2017-06-27 at 05:03 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

* If my superhero's only power can be roughly described as "make somebody's head explode from halfway across the planet", they're banned.

* My M&M campaigns are allowed one gratuitous kaiju action sequence per campaign, but only one.

* If my alchemist is ostensibly the group's conscience and most unambiguously heroic member, I probably shouldn't be the one in charge of knifepoint interrogations.
    ** Or gunpoint interrogations.
    *** Or any kind of interrogations involving explosives.
    **** Why is the party member with Charisma 11 and no ranks in Intimidate the resident interrogator, anyway?
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Catalessi View Post
    * Not allowed to choose every single spell related to tentacles, and to cast only these
    ** Nor i can use illusions to simulate tentacle-related spells
    *** The alienist is NOT allowed in this setting
    **** I CAN'T introduce myself as "tentacles mage"
    ***** Mind flayers are not my friends (the same is true for any aberrathion)
    ****** I cannot make my charachter more creepy and monstrous than any villain
    ******* Even if i max out diplomacy to be accepted as normal
    ******** SPECIALLY if i max out diplomacy
    ********* This goes double if the have involves an erotic art skill.

* 'Make anything into an explosive' is no longer an allowable talent.
    ** Especially when I don't have the demolitions skill.

Show