New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    My main problem with Thunderwave is that I've tried to focus on bonus action and debuffing spells, using a rapier and Smites for damage. Plus we've got enough casters that we don't really need more damaging spells.

FWIW my Cantrips are Mending so we never need to roll to remake broken gear, and Prestidigitation because it's got some utility and it's an easy way to clean before going into town. My current plan is Paladin 1/Bard 1/Paladin+4/Bard+2/Paladin+1/Bard+lots. I would have only gone to Paladin 5, but that Aura bonus is just too tempting (although not enough to delay Expertise to later than level 8).

Huh, books are 25 gp. So, let me work out my gear with that in mind, looks like I won't need a cart.
    Perhaps we should move discussion to the thread on the recruitment page?
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Perhaps we should move discussion to the thread on the recruitment page?
    Probably, I'll head over there in a bit, currently debating if I want Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

* I must stop buying games.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

*My Paladins motto is not allowed to be "Dont worry, this ****'s legit"

**It doesnt matter if he worships help and that pretty much how he works.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman10058 View Post
    *My Paladins motto is not allowed to be "Dont worry, this ****'s legit"

**It doesnt matter if he worships help and that pretty much how he works.
    directly linked,

*if my sentence starts with, "i blindfold the paladin" chances are i'm gonna get my alignment changed.
    ** not allowed to send the paladin on a snipe hunt in order for me to advance the plot in a jack bauer fashion.
    ***even if it's for the greater good.

(i love the paladin's player, he's awesome at roleplay and group tactics, but the way he plays his paladin makes me fear he'll end up falling by getting into a no win situation. i swear i'm doing all the evil of the group to save his character levels)

completely unrelated:
    *contrary to what the dwarven bosun assured us, half-orc paladins in full plate don't float.
    **cannot give the paladin swimming lessons during our free time. that's begging for a random aquatic encounter.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*If I got to the DM's place in a boat because it was 10 minutes quicker than driving around the lake, may not insist that my character will take a 2-week overland detour to avoid going anywhere near water instead of getting on a boat.
    **That goes double if we're playing the actual game in a houseboat.
    ***May not say "I told you so" when the giant squid attacks.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-07-30 at 12:07 PM.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

*If I got to the DM's place in a boat because it was 10 minutes quicker than driving around the lake, may not insist that my character will take a 2-week overland detour to avoid going anywhere near water instead of getting on a boat.
    **That goes double if we're playing the actual game in a houseboat.
    ***May not say "I told you so" when the giant squid attacks.
    Ah, I love houseboat games. Unfortunately the GM I know who lives in one is moving to Germany.

**** May not assume the giant squid attacked the houseboat.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Ah, I love houseboat games. Unfortunately the GM I know who lives in one is moving to Germany.
    Turns out D&D is a great way to pass the time on a slow day of fishing off the front deck. Even better if somebody catches a couple of decent-sized walleye and the DM is good at frying fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard
    **** May not assume the giant squid attacked the houseboat.
    *****May not reply "Well, it tried, before suddenly dying from being in fresh water. Nobody's entirely sure how it got so far inland, how it got past the dam, or why it even would in the first place, but we had calamari for months."
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-07-30 at 02:43 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

8. - Top - End - #548
    Colossus in the Playground

*Force-feeding people a two quart solution consisting of one part prune juice, one part Tabasco sauce, one part Pabst blue ribbon, and one part Mountain Dew counts as torture.
    **Not only does it count as torture, but it's an automatic morality check.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-07-31 at 12:15 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Spamalot in the Playground

* Next time the GM gives me a +0 magic armor that grants me Spring Attack, but only when using bows, I shouldn't joke about it to the party Rules Lawyer.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *Force-feeding people a two quart solution consisting of one part prune juice, one part Tabasco sauce, one part Pabst blue ribbon, and one part Mountain Dew counts as torture.
    ***May not suggest it's not just a morality check, but a Dark Powers check (despite the fact that, with Pabst, Mountain Dew, and Tabasco, it's clearly not a Ravenloft campaign).
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-07-31 at 09:06 AM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

11. - Top - End - #551

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    quoting for future use, don't mind me.

unrelated:

*not allowed to ever again spike elven champagne with dockside rotgut to give the party a nasty hangover, even if it made the dm and i laugh ourselves to tears. it will count as pvp, and i will get my glasses punched off my face. again.
    **not allowed to make anything remotely ressembling that irl in order to give the player party a nasty hangover. the party doesn't have my dm's or my alcohol tolerance.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

12. - Top - End - #552
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    *not allowed to ever again spike elven champagne with dockside rotgut to give the party a nasty hangover, even if it made the dm and i laugh ourselves to tears. it will count as pvp, and i will get my glasses punched off my face. again.
    I am by no means a really experienced lush, but isn't champagne normally clear and dockside rotgut normally the color of old shoe leather?

* Despite what the module says, I am no longer allowed to combine the words "invisible" and "Ancient White Dragon" in the same sentence as the GM. Or as a player, most likely.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

* At this point, I should probably recognize that my elven alchemist is the only sane member of the party and will be roundly ignored when she tells people not to press the Big Red Button (or in last session's case, unsheathe the magic sword seal holding a vengeful wraith-king in check).

* The solution to everything in a train fight is not "shove 'em out the window."
    ** Especially when it comes to injured party members.
    *** Especially especially when they're below 0 hit points.
    **** I'm not allowed to use bull rushes anymore.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

14. - Top - End - #554

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    I am by no means a really experienced lush, but isn't champagne normally clear and dockside rotgut normally the color of old shoe leather?
    real champagne is golden and sparkling (and costs about 300% its fabrication value). true-blue rotgut should be water-clear (and cost 3% its fabrication value). if it has a discoloration, it can be traced (see pure-bred gin, that should be tinted blue below its top-mark). if you don't know if you're drinking alcohol or kerosene, chances are you're drinking rotgut.

... great, now i've gotta quote myself when describing liquor.

*"it's not alcoholism, it's a lifestyle" is not a valid character description.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Expanding on that a bit: distilled liquor (such as whiskey, vodka, rum, gin, tequila, etc) all starts out clear; coloration is picked up through additives or through aging in barrels. (In whiskey production, the clear spirit is called "white dog" if it's legal, "moonshine" if it's illegal. Nowadays some distilleries pawn off their white dog as "legal moonshine"—an oxymoron—to sell spirits without taking the time and expense of barrel-aging).
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-07-31 at 10:15 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

16. - Top - End - #556

DrowGuy

Distilled liquor (such as whiskey, vodka, rum, gin, etc) starts out clear; coloration is picked up through additives or through aging in barrels. (In whiskey production, the clear spirit is called "white dog" if it's legal, "moonshine" if it's illegal. Nowadays some distilleries pawn off their white dog as "legal moonshine"—an oxymoron—to sell spirits without taking the time and expense of barrel-aging).
    i didn't know that. for me, rotgut is either liquor that hasn't been aged correctly (your white dog, i guess), or a homebrew that's more likely closer to methanol than ethanol (ie, most homebrew hard stuff done using perfume). glad to know i wasn't wrong about the hard stuff being crystal clear, though. makes my love of the bottle seem more like a hobby.

thanks. (note to self, add vodka and apple juice to spike champagne to offset the alcohol content while retaining the flavor)

*if jal says something, i probably shouldn't use it to further my agenda of surreptitiously slushing my team.
    **even if it's the perfect excuse to use the word "surreptitiously".
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't drink as much as I used to anymore—my time on antidepressants made me a permanent lightweight, and since I moved to one of the worst places for allergies in the US, I get enough sinus headaches I need to avoid the hooch just to spare my liver from the interactions with booze and painkillers/allergy-meds. But originally being a Kentuckian, I consider bourbon (and alcohol snobbery in general, but my Commonwealth's native spirit in particular) to be a sort of hobby as well.

I'm also from the Appalachian mountains, so I know that a crazy old hillbilly from up a holler so deep you've got to pipe the daylight in from elsewhere who knows what he's doing can make moonshine that tastes like the sound of angels singing. (And of course one who doesn't know or doesn't care can make some vile hooch that either tastes like Satan's piss and comes with a hangover to match, or will blind you, or will brain-damage you, or will kill you outright, or any combination thereof. You've got to know the right hillbillies or you're playing Russian roulette.)

The legal stuff generally tastes like paint thinner smells, to be a bit uncharitable toward paint thinner, because it's generally a cost cutting measure and usually stuff that was meant for the barrel, or at least from a recipe intended for the barrel (and thus meant to have a flavor profile that'll take well to aging in oak for half a decade and was never intended to be drunk before that), but never got there.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

18. - Top - End - #558

You've got to know the right hillbillies or you're playing Russian roulette.
    ... Hillbilly Roulette: the only version of Russian Roulette that has the drinking game built in.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

*Plays "The more you know" sound* And I thought my thing i learned today was the term "Vampire Power"*. Thanks for the lesson guys. I'm sure i can work this into a plan somewhere.

* My first impulse upon acquiring new knowledge should not be how to weaponize in an rpg.

Spoiler: Vampire Power for the curious
    Show

basically refers to the power consumed by devices that go into a standby mode when they tell you they turn off. Like your Television if it has a remote. It tells you its turned off, but the sensor that looks for the remote input is still consuming power to function. It has been a big thing in recent power consumption studies and Wikipedia has an article on it that is much more indepth and researched than this. But I figure you clicked the spoiler because of the passing "huh?" like I did when I saw the picture at my work with a cute little bat wall plug. A better term for it is "Stand-by Power", which is used in most technical documents.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Spoiler: Vampire Power for the curious
    Show
    But I figure you clicked the spoiler because of the passing "huh?" like I did when I saw the picture at my work with a cute little bat wall plug.
    * May not point at a skeleton crew.
    Last edited by goto124; 2017-08-02 at 12:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    * May not point at a skeleton crew.

"Hydra-burgers with Gouda!" Nice shout outs!

I'd forgotten:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0463.html
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #562

*I cannot date the Big Bad Evil Girl.
    **No, offering a three way with her and my twin brother does not sway her either.
    ***Even with sympathetic villains who have legitimate gripes, a threesome is never the answer to avoiding a boss fight.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

* Prestidigitation is for more than stopping the wizard's component pouch from stinking.

Show

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

* Prestidigitation is for more than stopping the wizard's component pouch from stinking.
    **Or making the druid's food taste like boiled shoe leather.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

*The group would not stop the session for twenty minutes to discuss how likely it is that the dungeon is made out of mimics.
    * We cannot check every surface for a slight incline.
    * After spending ten minutes trying to work out of there's a trap, cannot proceed to fall into the trap.

Show

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*The group would not stop the session for twenty minutes to discuss how likely it is that the dungeon is made out of mimics.
    * We cannot check every surface for a slight incline.
    * After spending ten minutes trying to work out of there's a trap, cannot proceed to fall into the trap.
    **Cannot debate who was walking in front until we decide we both would've ended up having fallen into the trap.
    ***Especially if either of us could've avoided it because there was some confusion.

*I should assume all animate skeletons are hostile.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-08-08 at 06:58 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

* JAL's 10 foot (and one inch) pole is not a mimic.

Show

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

** This has nothing to do with a certain webcomic.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

***Or this one.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    **Or making the druid's food taste like boiled shoe leather.
    Even if that's an improvement over what it tasted like before? Cause I gotta say, at least boiled shoe leather isn't wiggling.

*** I am proactively banned from taking notes on this for next Saturday's session.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races