New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    He's at least promoting himself to be a Ranger-esque type of adventurer so my character just kinda went "Something, Something rangers and goodberries" internally. It provides a day's nourishment for a creature and up to 10 per casting, though there is no mention of satiation, so he wouldn't starve, him and his doggo would just be craving anything of substance.
    That's probably the actual explanation, but it's something to look into all the same, just to confirm it if nothing else.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-09-01 at 04:30 AM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    like figuring out how to make a goat shoot bullets? like helping me figure out what is an automatic combat goat? learning how to dual wield livestock? the people demand to know!!
    * I am no longer allowed to use Handle Animal to train a combat goat.
    ** I'm also banned from creating magic weapons with command words keyed to goat bleats.
    *** No, I may not fire my combat goat into battle from a bow.
    **** Getting around the previous problem does not automatically qualify me to apply the Point Blank Shot feat.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

This one is not from the current game, but from a one-shot a while back:

*May not convince the DM to allow called shots.
    **If I convince the DM to allow called shots, may not convince the DM to let me do called shots with improvised weapons.
    ***May not abuse the fact that the DM thinks the lack of damage stacking in 5e is silly when multiple instantaneous damage effects trigger on the same location.
    ****If I convince the DM to allow me to make called shots with improvised weapons and am aware of the DM's houserule on damage stacking, may not wrap a Necklace of Fireballs around a flask of Alchemist's Fire and make a called shot to the white dragon's open mouth.
    *****No matter how many times I cast Prestidigitation on it, that armor is still going to smell like incinerated dragon. As is everything in a quarter-mile radius of the blast.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-09-04 at 06:59 PM.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    This one is not from the current game, but from a one-shot a while back:

*May not convince the DM to allow called shots.
    **If I convince the DM to allow called shots, may not convince the DM to let me do called shots with improvised weapons.
    ***May not abuse the fact that the DM thinks the lack of damage stacking in 5e is silly when multiple instantaneous damage effects trigger on the same location.
    ****If I convince the DM to allow me to make called shots with improvised weapons and am aware of the DM's houserule on damage stacking, may not wrap a Necklace of Fireballs around a flask of Alchemist's Fire and make a called shot to the white dragon's open mouth.
    *****No matter how many times I cast Prestidigitation on it, that armor is still going to smell like incinerated dragon. As is everything in a quarter-mile radius of the blast.
    ****** May not reply that this seems completely fine, why would anybody have a problem with it, it's just using common sense.

* May not mount guns on a train.
    ** Battle trains are a stupid idea.
    *** If I put an automated track layer on the front of the train what I have done is invented a really inefficient car.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

*Yes, stuffing Delayed Blast Fireballs down the dragon's throat doesn't give them a Reflex save. No, you still get marks for that on the alignment chart.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ****** May not reply that this seems completely fine, why would anybody have a problem with it, it's just using common sense.

* May not mount guns on a train.
    ** Battle trains are a stupid idea.
    *** If I put an automated track layer on the front of the train what I have done is invented a really inefficient car.
    What's wrong with wartrains?

I've used armored trains and railway artillery in at least 2 different D&D campaigns. I like it, because it's something that players can capture that's powerful and can turn the tide of a military operation, but it also can't really threaten them as individuals, and they can't take it places I don't want them to have it.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2017-09-05 at 05:08 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

7. - Top - End - #667

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*My bard has never heard of "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared."
    **Even if it would work well for fear effects.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    What's wrong with wartrains?

I've used armored trains and railway artillery in at least 2 different D&D campaigns. I like it, because it's something that players can capture that's powerful and can turn the tide of a military operation, but it also can't really threaten them as individuals, and they can't take it places I don't want them to have it.
    Not wartrains, battletrains. Intended for use in personal scale battles and other PC environments.

There's nothing wrong with railway artillery, it's a practical solution, but it's not one that can be scaled down and taken into the dungeon.

* I cannot delay the game because my parents are complaining.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #670

Not wartrains, battletrains. Intended for use in personal scale battles and other PC environments.

There's nothing wrong with railway artillery, it's a practical solution, but it's not one that can be scaled down and taken into the dungeon.

* I cannot delay the game because my parents are complaining.
    There were many wartrains that weren't giant artillery pieces mounted on train tracks for mobility. The one in the topmost picture, for instance. Armored traincars, locomotives, and tenders were frequently used to patrol stretches of railroads vulnerable to guerrilla activity and to protect trains they were attached to, and sometimes to join in an press and offensive if a rail line was in the area.

As far as taking a wartrain into a dungeon goes, I don't see why not if there's railroad tracks for it to ride on. That would actually be pretty cool.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*Dwarves do not use miniature battletrains on their minecart rails.
    **Even though dwarven mines do always get overrun by horrible monsters sooner or later.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

*may no longer play otherwise sociable characters that have a very limited range of communication
    **intimidate may no longer substitute for diplomacy
    ***stop playing faces
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

13. - Top - End - #673
    Colossus in the Playground

*My bard has never heard of "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared."
    **Even if it would work well for fear effects.
    ***No matter how high I roll on Intimidate, I can't make someone soil themselves by asking "what's your favorite idea?"
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

From the current game:

*My neutral good bard should probably not be okay with the bounty hunter threatening torture and death to extract information.
    **The chaotic neutral bounty hunter should probably not be the stickler for proper legal procedures out of a group of good-aligned characters.
    ***When attempting to be genre-savvy, must make sure it's the right genre.
    ****Never trust anyone whose name consists of [adjective] [name] as two separate words.
    *****There is a difference between adventuring and banditry...even if we can't properly articulate it.
    ******Asserting that someone is a bandit because they broke into a building, took a prisoner, and tied the prisoner up, when we broke into the building they broke into, took them prisoner, and tied them up, just muddies the proverbial water even further.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

From the current game:

*My neutral good bard should probably not be okay with the bounty hunter threatening torture and death to extract information.
    **The chaotic neutral bounty hunter should probably not be the stickler for proper legal procedures out of a group of good-aligned characters.
    ***When attempting to be genre-savvy, must make sure it's the right genre.
    ****Never trust anyone whose name consists of [adjective] [name] as two separate words.
    *****There is a difference between adventuring and banditry...even if we can't properly articulate it.
    ******Asserting that someone is a bandit because they broke into a building, took a prisoner, and tied the prisoner up, when we broke into the building they broke into, took them prisoner, and tied them up, just muddies the proverbial water even further.
    I wonder what happened and I'm sad I probably have to leave that game.

Show

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I wonder what happened and I'm sad I probably have to leave that game.
    We hope you'll be able to stick around. Dunno how schedules will shake out though.

Spoiler: recap
    Show

Recap (I can't recall exactly where we were when you left so some of this you were likely there for):

The leader of Dammior's party, Blue Jack, was there in the tower; the rest of Dammior's party had KO'd a sergeant of the town guard and left him hogtied in a back room of the tower and then left. Blue Jack is not good at lying, and much discussion and roleplay thereof ensued. He planned to kill the guard later. Turns out the wainwright's daughter had, at least initially, joined up voluntarily, looking for excitement and adventure. Dammior turned stool-pigeon and sold out Blue Jack, who we arrested and took to town. We let Dammior and his doggo go at the edge of town once we were fairly sure he wasn't going to rejoin his former group. Blue Jack had an old map of tge area on him, as well as an allegedly-unrelated rare artifact from Sanctuary that's basically a magitek ray-gun. The half-orc and the halfling have the wainwright's daughter at a secondary camp six or seven miles north, which is where we're headed next.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-09-08 at 09:38 AM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

We hope you'll be able to stick around. Dunno how schedules will shake out though.

Spoiler: recap
    Show

Recap (I can't recall exactly where we were when you left so some of this you were likely there for):

The leader of Dammior's party, Blue Jack, was there in the tower; the rest of the party had KO'd a sergeant of the town guard and left him hogtied in a back room of the tower and then left. Blue Jack is not good at lying, and much discussion and roleplay thereof ensued. He planned to kill the guard later. Turns out the wainwright's daughter had, at least initially, joined up voluntarily, looking for excitement and adventure. Dammior turned stool-pigeon and sold out Blue Jack, who we arrested and took to town. We let Dammior and his doggo go at the edge of town once we were fairly sure he wasn't going to rejoin his former group. Blue Jack had an old map of tge area on him, as well as an allegedly-unrelated rare artifact from Sanctuary that's basically a magitek ray-gun. The half-orc and the halfling have the wainwright's daughter at a secondary camp six or seven miles north, which is where we're headed next.
    Sounds interesting, I hope I can stay but I am the one who has to make everyone check their schedules (as I can't do later than 12 BST/11 UCT on weekdays anymore), and I always worry I'm the group member everybody hates anyway (poor social skills, in the reading people department, and a tendency to make bad jokes does that to you).

Show

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Sounds interesting, I hope I can stay but I am the one who has to make everyone check their schedules (as I can't do later than 12 BST/11 UCT on weekdays anymore), and I always worry I'm the group member everybody hates anyway (poor social skills, in the reading people department, and a tendency to make bad jokes does that to you).
    I wouldn't worry overmuch about the second part; I'm not noticing any friction in the social skills department, and your sense of humor aligns pretty much with the rest of ours—at the very worst, us Yanks can be a bit slow on the uptake of some particularly-British pop-culture references, but nothing that's a major issue. The schedule may be difficult, though; we'll see how it shakes out. Although bear in mind last time we got a pretty late start; if we start at 5pm EDT on the dot, that gives us a solid couple of hours.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the second part; I'm not noticing any friction in the social skills department, and your sense of humor aligns pretty much with the rest of ours—at the very worst, us Yanks can be a bit slow on the uptake of some particularly-British pop-culture references, but nothing that's a major issue. The schedule may be difficult, though; we'll see how it shakes out. Although bear in mind last time we got a pretty late start; if we start at 5pm EDT on the dot, that gives us a solid couple of hours.
    Yeah, it's the sudden jump in start time in the second week by about four hours that is the problem, if we started an hour or two earlier it would probably be fine. But as I said, it's my fault we have to discuss this again, so if anyone has to drop out it's me.

About British pop culture references, listen very carefully I vill say this only once.

Show

20. - Top - End - #680

** People are not confused by the 20ft monument to the 10 foot pole.
    Congrats, you made me laugh so hard my insides spasmed.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh so hard my insides spasmed.
    Not exactly my joke, but I'm glad you liked it.

Show

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

The joke flew over my head... context?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

From the current game:

*We should probably not traumatize the person we're rescuing WAY more than they were traumatized by the bandits we're rescuing them from.
    **It's kinda hard to say we're better than bandits if we break our word and shoot them in the back as soon as they hand over the person we're trying to rescue.
    ***My ostensibly Neutral Good bard with a severe phobia of water stemming from a traumatic backstory incident should probably object much more strongly than simply refusing to take part, leaving the room, and drinking heavily if other members of the party are willing to resort to waterboarding a prisoner to extract information.

Technically we're not murderhobos; we didn't actually murder anybody. But murderhobos might have the moral high ground.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    The joke flew over my head... context?
    I't s a 20' representation of a 10' pole? As in, the 10' pole has now become a 20' pole...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

From the current game:

*We should probably not traumatize the person we're rescuing WAY more than they were traumatized by the bandits we're rescuing them from.
    **It's kinda hard to say we're better than bandits if we break our word and shoot them in the back as soon as they hand over the person we're trying to rescue.
    ***My ostensibly Neutral Good bard with a severe phobia of water stemming from a traumatic backstory incident should probably object much more strongly than simply refusing to take part, leaving the room, and drinking heavily if other members of the party are willing to resort to waterboarding a prisoner to extract information.

Technically we're not murderhobos; we didn't actually murder anybody. But murderhobos might have the moral high ground.
    I've got a feeling making a Paladin was the right decision. If I don't rejoin that game I suspect the lot of you are going to take over the world one vile act at a time.

Actually, can I join up with that take over the world stuff if I get the ability to rejoin? It sounds fun.

Show

26. - Top - End - #686

DrowGuy

*despite precedent in the ussr, exploding animals are not considered a martial weapon.
    ** they indeed count on my previous ban on black powder weapons in pf.
    *** still not banned goats as weapons. just exploding ones.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

* Cannot insist that humanity's major trait is that when the find something that man was not meant to know we instantly decide that it is called 'Mister Fluffy' and will get along really well with my dog.

* My character cannot find the following really adorable: rats, bats, cows, plate armour, misuse of language, sheep, goblins, eldritch abominations.
    ** I am no longer a decent judge of what's cute.
    *** Rats do not mistake bats for angels.

Show

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I've got a feeling making a Paladin was the right decision. If I don't rejoin that game I suspect the lot of you are going to take over the world one vile act at a time.

Actually, can I join up with that take over the world stuff if I get the ability to rejoin? It sounds fun.
    Our first session without the Paladin and our alignments are all likely to get dinged down a step, yeah. We need a character with a strong moral compass.

To be fair I think this was a one-off or will at least not recur often. Our bounty hunter's "reason for joining the campaign" quest was at issue, and his quarry wasn't cooperative.

* Cannot insist that humanity's major trait is that when the find something that man was not meant to know we instantly decide that it is called 'Mister Fluffy' and will get along really well with my dog.

* My character cannot find the following really adorable: rats, bats, cows, plate armour, misuse of language, sheep, goblins, eldritch abominations.
    ** I am no longer a decent judge of what's cute.
    *** Rats do not mistake bats for angels.
    If you need proof of cute, I dunno if I can find cute plate armor, but you're covered for rats, bats, cattle, sheep, goblins, and eldritch horrors:

Spoiler: rats
    Show

Spoiler: bats
    Show

Spoiler: cows
    Show

Spoiler: sheep
    Show

Spoiler: goblins
    Show

Spoiler: eldritch abominations
    Show

D'aww, lookit 'im. Li'l Cutethulhu bringed you a skull.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

If you need proof of cute, I dunno if I can find cute plate armor, but you're covered for rats, bats, cattle, sheep, goblins, and eldritch horrors:

Spoiler: rats
    Show

Spoiler: bats
    Show

Spoiler: cows
    Show

Spoiler: sheep
    Show

Spoiler: goblins
    Show

Spoiler: eldritch abominations
    Show

D'aww, lookit 'im. Li'l Cutethulhu bringed you a skull.
    Well yeah, but I've met a lot of people who will majorly disagree that most of those are adorable. Although for the eldritch abomination I was half expecting the anime schoolgirl Narlytheop (or however it's spelt), but no adorable Cthulhu! D'aww.

Show

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Well yeah, but I've met a lot of people who will majorly disagree that most of those are adorable.
    And those people are wrong. The little rat has a tiny adorable teddy bear in his little paws and just look at that adorable little face *squeeeeeee*

I want one. I will hug him and pet him and name him Mr. Whiskersnoot.

But then my cat would try to eat him and I should probably not get a rat.

Although for the eldritch abomination I was half expecting the anime schoolgirl Narlytheop (or however it's spelt), but no adorable Cthulhu! D'aww.
    Sure, Great Old Ones are cute when they're little, but then they grow up and build sunken cities with non-Euclidean geometries to await the return of the Outer Gods and—

Oh good Lord, that is sickeningly adorable. Well, Earth's had a good run, I guess.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-09-13 at 12:12 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb