New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Metroid33's Ironfang Invasion

Gander utters a short self-mocking snort of a laugh. "Couldn't even put him down asleep" he mutters.

Turning to the odd, older woman, Gander affects an expression of mock surprise. "Oh come on, don't be so heavy-handed about it. It's not fun, like that..." His final jibe is interrupted by the innkeeper's discovery. "Look alive, ladies!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Initiative?
    (1d20+2)[17]
    move towards the sound of Jet's gasp, if within 10 feet, throw the net at a threatening hobgobber.
    (1d20+2)[16] touch attack to entangle

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask wheeled around from exiting the inn at the sound of the goblin grunts. While he couldnt understand the bastards and their talk he recognized it plain enough as goblin-speak. He ran past anyone who might still be in the bar area, not yelling or causing much noise except for his footfalls. The big half orc all but skidded to a halt, trying to interpose himself in between the inkeeper and whatever was making the grunting sounds. He brought his blade up, ready for another crushing arc of a swing should the creature come forward.

Show

initiative if needed: (1d20+5)[20]
    If possible Rask will move from where he was (just before the exit out of the inn) to where Jet is and ready an action to attack the hob if it comes within range.

Readied attack roll (power attacking): (1d20+4)[12]
    Critical confirmation:[roll]1d20+4
    Damage: (2d6+9)[13]
    Critical damage: (1d6)[6]
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-04-25 at 10:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

As she's busy looking out at the twisted streets, Aster hears the sounds of goblins coming from the back room. Stupid, stupid. I should have checked the back room. Whirling around mere seconds behind Rask, the shaman moves into position as she tries to put the creature in front of the half-orc's blade to sleep. "Keep away from the door and let us handle this," she tries to say, but for the cracking of her throat and the croak that ensues instead. She stops talking immediately. There are other things to worry about now in any case.

Spoiler: Round 1 Actions
    Show
    Aster is going to spend her move action to get within range and then use her Slumber hex on the hobgoblin targeted by Rask. DC 15 Will negates, or it's asleep for 1 round.

n0ble, if you want to delay your turn until after Aster goes, you might be able to get a coup de grace off on one of the hobgoblins.

Spoiler: Aster, Round 1
    Show
    Aster Wintarius
    Female Neutral Good Human Shaman (Speaker for the Past), Level 1, Init 6, HP 9/9, DR -, Speed 30 ft
    AC 14, Touch 12, Flat-footed 12, CMD 11, Fort 1, Ref 2, Will 6, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Light Crossbow +2 (1d8, 19-20x2)
    Leather Armor (+2 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 12
    Condition None
    Spells 0th level -- create water, detect magic, guidance
    1st level -- entangle (1), sleep (1), identify (1)
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

The professor had been last to move towards the exist, readied for whatever carnage they might face.... Then suddenly it all seemed to evaporate with the unexpected grunts and sounds from back within the establishment they had suddenly moved to leave from. Slamming herself back against the wall, the procession marched past her and back into the tavern. Her hand pulled the dagger from her waist as she sharply spun on her heel and followed suit. It was difficult to make out just what was actually going on, still she resolved it was better to be ready. Flipping the kitchen knife in hand, she caught it by its blade and raised it up; ready to throw. Leaning the massive firearm across her shoulder to keep it out of the way was the best she could manage, it wouldn't do to fire such a dangerous thing within such close quarters.

Spoiler: Actions - Combat?
    Show

Kaitlaea Mayvert
    AC 20 / Touch 13 / FF 17
    HP 10/10
    Fort +3
    Ref +6
    Will +0

֍ Initiative - (1d20+6)[19]
    ֍ Move Action - Within 10-ft of the enemy (preferably keeping Rask adjacent)
    ֍ READY (Standard) - Throw dagger if a hostile creature reveals itself & steps in range
    (Attack) (1d20+7)[18]
    (Damage) (1d4+1)[2] - (Str -1 / Sharp +1 ~ 1st hit / +1 PBS)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Everybody collectively runs to the door, finding a dark grey skinned hobgoblin who appears to have stealing a drink from a barrel of water in the back room, Rask readies himself against the creature at the door. The good professor runs to the door and lets loose a dagger nailing the hobgoblin in the arm. Aster then points and whispers something and the hobgoblin slumps over letting out a snore as it hits the ground.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    All By emperor Ing

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the hob slumped over, Rask relaxed just a little bit, though you wouldn't know it from looking at his posture but for a slight sag to his shoulders. He walked over to the prone hobgoblin about as matter of factly as one could given the situation and brought his sword down onto it, whether it was beginning to rise up or not.

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show

Move Action: Move to within attack range of the sleeping hobgoblin
    Standard Action: attack(power attacking)
    Attack Roll:(1d20+4)[22]
    Critical Confirmation: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[18]
    Critical Damage: (1d6)[2]

If Rask is close enough to hit the creature without moving he'll full round action coup de grace it. For simplicities sake we can use the damage from the attack above if you'd like or I can roll it again.

Last edited by n0ble; 2017-05-01 at 01:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

As the creature came into sight her arm reflexively snapped out sending the dagger hurtling through the air. The sharp whistle as the blade spun end-over-end, accompanied from the soft thunk of the blade sinking into its meaty target. She snapped her fingers with a great deal of satisfaction as the long kitchen-knife penetrated the creature's arm. Bulls-eye! The cooking utensil had never been used as a weapon before, but she was handy with the blade just the same. Keeping it wickedly sharp for food preparation seemed to have made it at least somewhat practical. The small skirmish came to a sudden and abrupt end as everyone set upon the creature.

Watching the goblinkin crash to the floor, quickly followed by the half-orc's heavy sword, she stepped into the room. Pulling her knife free from the creature's body, she wiped the blood off on the stinking creature's torn garb. Running her thumb across the edge she examined how it had dulled - and it had dulled. It wasn't a surprise, it was difficult to maintain such a crisp edge. Having already seen far worse sights in a single day, the bloody mess on the floor did not shake her resolve. Leaning her long weapon against her shoulder and letting the buttplate rest on the floor, she produced a small rectangular whetstone. She begun to hone the edge as she glanced about the room. "...Hm. Where did that thing sneak in from?" Looking at Rask, she gestured at the body while running the blade across the stone. "Perhaps this creature has something of use upon it's person as well... I'm somewhat hesitant to sack bodies... perhaps I'll reach such levels of... comfort, in the future."

Spoiler: Action
    Show

- Sharpening Dagger
    - Perception (1d20+2)[18] (Searching for useful items in backroom)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"Good work, Rask," Aster says of the warrior, fighting past the wolf caught in her throat as she does. It tends to get worse in the company of strangers - she sneaks a couple of glances towards both Gander and Professor Mayvert - but given everything that's happening, she can't afford to be too picky about her allies. Besides, it was her father who always taught her that sometimes the world is a strange place, and the best thing to do when under the power of an unfamiliar tide is just to go with the current. Still, she can't help but feel on edge, knowing exactly what is going on outside the walls of the Taproot. Pushing past the already cooling body of the assailant, the red-haired sage steps past Mayvert and walks directly into the back room. They might not have time, but every extra bit of provisions will be necessary when they leave Phaendar.

"Well, at least he didn't destroy the keg. Gander, you're better at ordering the villagers around, and with my voice like this - any way you can get a few of them to transport this? It doesn't look that heavy. Until we find fresh water in the Fangwood, we're going to be reliant on this sort of thing. I can magically create some water, but only a few gallons at a time, and who knows how many mouths we're going to have to feed once we get there?" As she speaks, Aster rifles through everything she can see in the back room, stopping only when she sees a dusty lockbox. Thankfully it's open, and as she pries off the cover Aster sees another pair of wands, a few faded vials and what look like balls from a circus.

"Here, you're probably both better at investigating these sorts of things than I am," Aster says as she hands one of the wands to the white-haired academic, and the two potions to the half-elf. Besides, three sets of eyes is better than one, and they have a schedule to keep to if they don't want to end up burnt to a crisp like the rest of this town is soon going to be. The thought sends a chill down her spine, but she keeps it to herself for now. You're going to need to keep your head. She exhales slowly as the magic returns, her eyes slowly glowing a forest green as she inspects the wand in her fingers.

Show
    This whole post is sort of operating under the assumption that Rask did in fact kill the hobgoblin. Aster is also going to take 10 on her Perception for a total of 18 to check out the backroom along with Kaitlaea and find some things. Again, I'm going to be reading off of the AP book for this one, if only to take some of the bookkeeping off of your plate. If you'd rather I was more hands off with this, please let me know.

Oh also, I'm going to make a Spellcraft roll here for detect magic. I'll just do one of the wands for now, let Gander and Kait inspect some of the others.

Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[14]
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Gander snorts quietly. "I've no lack of comfort in damn-near any circumstances. Better his skin than mine," he quips, as he drops to a knee beside yet another slaughtered monster. "Remind me, dear Rask, to stay on your good side."

His hands work methodically, starting with the area where belt pouches would hang, and checking the insides of each article- no matter how ragged- for hidden pockets or the like. When Aster thrusts a pair of potions into his hands, the interruption startles him briefly, but the work was done regardless. "Eh? Ah, yes, of course." For the second time in as many minutes, Gander peers through oddly cloudy eyes towards the stoppered vials.

Show
    (1d20+5)[25]
    in case they're different potions: (1d20+5)[10]

Edit: good order for those rolls! lol

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask gave a blank stare at everyone's words before securing the keg of water in the backpack he'd taken off the other dead hob. He nodded at Gander's words-both the bit about comfort and not wanting to end up on opposite sides-before giving another great shrug of his shoulders to the Professor. Mightve rubbed someone else like the Professor wrong, killin a man while he was sleeping or defenceless. Far as Rask was concerned if you wanted to swing a sword about at people, you'd best be prepared to accept the notion of a blade cutting you at some point. By the blood of Nulgreth, did Rask ever have such a sentiment lodged in his misshapen lump of a skull, traced across his body in that big sword tattooed on his back. He certainly had all the scars to prove it if nothing else. Now wasn't the time to think about that though. There'd be plenty of time to meditate on the nature of conflict if he survived the coming bloodshed.

He turned from the others and put himself in the door frame, ready to respond to anything else that might come through.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-05-03 at 10:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Watching Gander set himself to work drew a sign, "...I suppose that makes one of us." The thought was interrupted as Aster hastily shoved the wand into her hand. "Oh? Thy give'ith and take'ith so... liberally. Truly though, there's no need for shoving, snatching, grabbing or pushing. We're all civil adults, are we not?" She waved the wand at the girl as if the magical implement were a birching stick or switch employed to discipline a rambunctious student. Pausing, she briefly cleared her throat retracting her force of habit and looking at the device. "Ehm... Well, I'm, no wizard - but perhaps I might be able to derive this implement's magic if I have a moment..." She carefully looked the thing over, often a command-word or some such trigger was left on the exterior of such tools, a clue was all she needed...

Show
    ID Wand
    - Appraise (1d20+7)[12]
    - Arcana (1d20+7)[21]
    - Spellcraft (1d20+3)[13]

Last edited by Mornings; 2017-05-03 at 10:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

The potions are determined to be elixirs of tumbling, both of them. The wands on the other hand no one is quite sure what they are but the symbols on them are definitely arcane in nature. As you all are examining the items jet speaks up "I forgot I had those, took them off a drunkard who was causing issues a few years back." She glances around thinking for a moment "there might be some stuff upstairs in the rooms but otherwise I think we have everything useful in the woods."
    Show
    All By emperor Ing

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

"Apologies," Aster says over her shoulder in the Professor's direction. "I'm really not trying to be rude here, it's just that we're on a bit of a tight schedule and if we can use these implements, all the better." She shakes her head as the magical aura surrounding her vision disappears. It looks like her investigation didn't reveal anything of note, and they probably don't have time to just sit around here and keep trying. She nods at Mayvert as though to suggest she take one of the wands, while giving the other one to Gander. She probably won't get much use out of them.

When Jet speaks up, she heads over to the bottom of the stairs, listening for the sounds of any footsteps or other sounds of life up on the Taproot's second floor. After a moment, the healer looks back at the inn's proprietor. "Have any better ideas as to what might be up there, gear wise? I'm guessing no goblins, but was there anyone upstairs before they burst in here?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #44

"Impossible to tell, I don't go in peoples rooms except to clean and with all the people that were here, some may have fled upstairs. I can certainly say there are no Gobs up there, we would have seen them."
    Show
    All By emperor Ing

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Acknowledging Aster's gesture, she tucked the device away within her many pockets. "I'll need more time to identify it's functions, but all in due course... We should gather all we may before we take our leave of this place." She moved next to Aster and the innkeep, "Perhaps then, we should take a moment to make a quick sweep up there before moving on. Who knows how long we'll have to fend for our own within the Fangwood and beyond." Carefully placing the whetstone away, she looked over the blade of the knife and blew off the small slivers of metal. It was ready, she was ready... preparing for the worst.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Gander snorts quietly. "I wasn't the drunkard in question, was I? I'd like to think I'd remember, had I ever owned something of the sort before, but..." he smiles sheepishly, as if his past is truly that much in question.

"Here, here. Let me see 'em for a moment. I'm no master, but I get by well enough..." For just a few moments, Gander turns his gaze on the two wands, before shaking his head irritably and returning his focus to the present.

"Well, don't just stand around, Jet! Wouldn't want to leave any defenseless villagers up there! I reckon you've got about 30 seconds before we move out, so collect whoever you can."

Show
    As per the OOC thread, if Metroid already rolled these checks, disregard.
    (1d20+5)[14] wand1
    (1d20+5)[10] wand2
    That won't do it, either way.

Does anyone else want a potion of tumbling? I've apparently got two of 'em :-P

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask walked out of the doorframe that led to the pantry and into the common area of the inn. If people were moving about it was probably best to occupy the biggest area that any hobs would need to come through. Sounded like a good enough thought to his mind.