New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Not looking forward to the next few weeks

My participation on these discussions will be very low, and seemingly random in the next few weeks. Tomorrow I'm having two teeth pulled. A week later, I'm having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff. My right arm will be immobilized for three weeks, and in a sling for a few weeks after that.

I'm not gone, but I won't be typing a lot.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Not looking forward to the next few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    My participation on these discussions will be very low, and seemingly random in the next few weeks. Tomorrow I'm having two teeth pulled. A week later, I'm having shoulder surgery for a torn rotator cuff. My right arm will be immobilized for three weeks, and in a sling for a few weeks after that.

I'm not gone, but I won't be typing a lot.
    Who could have twisted your arm into going through with this? The negotiations must have been like pulling teeth. But seriously, I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-04-19 at 08:00 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Who could have twisted your arm into going through with this? The negotiations must have been like pulling teeth. But seriously, I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.
    *Nukes Detroit*

That's for the puns!

You live in Detroit, right?

Anyway, Jay, we all hope your surgeries go safely, your recoveries swift, and your full ableness restored in short order. Good luck!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    *Nukes Detroit*
    Huh, would you look at that. City still looks the same.

Huh? You say this is 1982 calling? They want their joke back? And then they want to send this one back to 1997? That seems like an awful lot of work...

More seriously, sorry to hear that Jay. On the bright side, you might get some wicked painkillers between the two of those.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    On the bright side, you might get some wicked painkillers between the two of those.
    Codeine, morphine, it's strong analgesic time. Awww yeaaah!

More seriously: I hope the surgeries go well, and you're healed up quickly and back to fun stuff like the SCA in no time.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Good luck.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the support. First challenge overcome- the teeth have been pulled, I'm feeling good again.

But not enough experience points to level up, so I'm heading out to the next adventure Thursday.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

But not enough experience points to level up, so I'm heading out to the next adventure Thursday.
    Good luck, man. It's rough having your right arm in a sling.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I hope you get well soon (I value your posts!)

Injured shoulder?

THIS IS WHAT COMES FROM 'RESLIN' BEARS WEARING PLATE ARMOR!
    Yep, I remember when he first showed up here. Almost a child he seemed, fresh off the farm. No reputation, nothin'. He walks into a tavern and announces he could do anything anybody else could do.

One old adventurer looks him up and down, grins a little at the rest of us, and says, “Son, when I was your age, I could down three bottles of ale, wrestle a owlbear barehanded and make love to a barmaid all in one night."

So he downs three bottles in three gulps, leaves his sword and daggers on the table, and announces that he's going out to find hisself an owlbear. We figures that was the last we’ll ever hear of him, and start tellin' jokes about the kid. But a couple of hours later we hear noises comin’ from out in the forest – weird noises. A loud mix of squawks and growls, growing louder and louder, with the occasional grunt from the young man himself. It lasts over two hours, until we hear the loudest noise of all – a long freakish combination of a squawk, a growl, and a scream. Then there's silence.

A little bit later he stumbles back into the tavern, and I’ve never seen a man in worse shape. His clothes are in tatters and covered in blood. He's got bruises and clawmarks all over his body. He was limpin’ and one arm hung nearly lifeless at his side. He just stands there for a bit, glarin’ around at the rest of us, and finally speaks.

"All right," he bellows, "now where's that barmaid I'm supposed to wrestle?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Good luck, and I hope all goes well for you and you have a swift recovery. A torn rotator cuff's no fun*, and I'm sure having surgery for it is even worse. I take it you're right-handed, so I wish you much luck in succeeding at basic tasks with your off hand, and I hope you're able to mostly rest and do such non-arm-requiring activities as watching TV and movies!

*I tore my left rotator cuff at the end of last year, and although I didn't need surgery, it took me weeks to get back to fully using my arm and months to get my strength back up to being able to swing a sword or lift weights. Wasn't able to do more than a few minutes at a time of using the computer or drawing or anything for the first few weeks, and I discovered that I can't even properly use a fork in my right hand. I wish I had any good advice to get around that, but alas, I do not; I mostly resorted to eating only foods that can be eaten without a utensil and temporarily removing my sling out of frustration (the latter of which I would certainly not recommend, because doing stuff like that probably slowed my recovery down).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remmirath View Post
    Good luck, and I hope all goes well for you and you have a swift recovery. A torn rotator cuff's no fun*, and I'm sure having surgery for it is even worse. I take it you're right-handed, so I wish you much luck in succeeding at basic tasks with your off hand, and I hope you're able to mostly rest and do such non-arm-requiring activities as watching TV and movies! =
    Thank you. It's a fencing injury, actually, and I have a large number of swashbuckler movies and series ready to watch.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you. It's a fencing injury, actually, and I have a large number of swashbuckler movies and series ready to watch.

You've likely seen it, but here's a bit of a favorite for you:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    You've likely seen it, but here's a bit of a favorite for you:
    Thank you. Yes, I have seen it. But that's no reason not to watch it again; it's excellent. As far as I know, it's the only movie to use all three of the great early Hollywood fencing masters - Fred Cavens, Ralph Faulkner, and Jean Heremans.

For more fun, watch it, then watch the spoof version in The Great Race. [But don't watch the version on Youtube, which cuts of the (almost) parallel ending.]