New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Haley's inner Peroxide?

Hi, minor question from a non-native English speaker here. Strip 382 features several of Haley's inner characters, including a yellow-haired character Goth Haley calls Peroxide. From what I know Peroxide has something to do with oxygen but I don't see what it has to do with this character... What personality trait or life phase is this supposed to represent?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Haley's inner Peroxide?

The blonde personality fragment is Haley's Self-Reliance. Self-Loathing is making a snarky comment on her having dyed her hair blonde by calling her "Peroxide."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nith View Post
    Hi, minor question from a non-native English speaker here. Strip 382 features several of Haley's inner characters, including a yellow-haired character Goth Haley calls Peroxide. From what I know Peroxide has something to do with oxygen but I don't see what it has to do with this character... What personality trait or life phase is this supposed to represent?
    Peroxide (also known as oxygenated water) is H2O2, and is used as a cheap way to make your hair more blond (also for cleaning wounds, but that is irrelevant here). People - especially women - that resort to peroxide as a way to become blond tend to be looked down upon as "trashy". This would be especially true of the Goth persona, who went the exact opposite direction, dying her hair black.

As Kish points out, though, given that the blonde Halley is her self-reliance, she probably did NOT actually using oxygen peroxide to dye her hair at all - Goth is just insulting her by means of a stereotype.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-04-20 at 11:10 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Thanks for the answers!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Haley swallowed a bunch of hydrogen peroxide when she was young.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Haley swallowed a bunch of hydrogen peroxide when she was young.
    Appropos of nothing, I was in Plano this weekend and encountered a pretty barista at a coffee bar, blond, whose name was Haley. My first instinct was to ask her if I could take her picture, but I then asked her if she read GiTP. When she said no, I had a flash of insight: possible impression of creepy guy problems ... so I didn't.
    My son-in-law, when I mentioned it to him while she went to get his coffee, suggested this perspective:
    When {our spouses} show up here, do you want to be taking a picture of this cute blonde gal, and then have to explain youself to both you wife and your daughter?

Good point. Glad he confirmed my inner voice/warning flag.

I think Haley (GiTP) would be fine as a blond, but I prefer her as a red head.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2017-04-20 at 12:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The blonde personality fragment is Haley's Self-Reliance. Self-Loathing is making a snarky comment on her having dyed her hair blonde by calling her "Peroxide."
    Really, snarking at her for dyeing her hair is pretty rich coming from Dark Mistress Shadowgale.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Really, snarking at her for dyeing her hair is pretty rich coming from Dark Mistress Shadowgale.
    Well, she is Haley's self-loathing. It's literally her job and whole reason for existence to insult all the other inner Haleys.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Appropos of nothing, I was in Plano this weekend and encountered a pretty barista at a coffee bar, blond, whose name was Haley.
    The really critical question is did she have a single strand of hair that insisted on being our of place?
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Well, she is Haley's self-loathing. It's literally her job and whole reason for existence to insult all the other inner Haleys.

GW
    Besides, Haley's self loathing probably loathes herself for having to dye her hair.