New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default How would you tell people you're getting a new job in this situation?

For the current situation, I teach at a small public high school. We have year-long contracts. I just signed my contract for the next school year. Typically it is not easy to get a replacement teacher mid-year, especially for a high needs area.

I applied to join the military. Normally, it is difficult to get out of a teaching contract, but by joining the military the school has to let me teach up until I leave, and can't force me to stay (legal stuff, USERRA). One issue is that I don't know when I would go for training. Could be this summer, could be January of 2018, could be March, could be even later.

I find out if I got accepted or not this Friday, and immediately after I have to fill out some paperwork with my current supervisor, and he might get contacted, so I really can't delay in telling them. Plus, I'd want to let them know anyway.

There's another issue. The students. I love my students, and many of them love me. To be totally honest, I feel a bit sheepish for leaving, but this is in the best interest of me and my family. I've made up my mind, by the way, no need to try to persuade me otherwise. Anyway... graduation isn't for another few weeks. I'm not sure whether to tell them before graduation, or wait until the start of the next school year.

So in this situation, how would you go about telling people you won't be staying? E-mail the whole district? Have a private conversation with your boss first, then e-mail the whole district? Or somehow let everyone know at once? There are assemblies and stuff. Or just in one day, tell the administration in the morning, then tell first hour students and so on?

Also, I'm totally expected some snarky answers like "in person" or "via e-mail" or something.

Thanks in advance!
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How would you tell people you're getting a new job in this situation?

Tell everyone that's important to you, the first time you see them. Administration on morning of the next workday, and each class' students at the start of a lesson. Just be direct and honest. It's not like you're stealing or doing anything dishonorable, you're trading one important job for another - also very important - job. They will understand.

The people that you're not normally in personal touch with, you can tell by mass email (but only after you're done telling those close to you).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How would you tell people you're getting a new job in this situation?

I agree with Razade. Tell your supervisor(s) and other necessary admin parties first, at the earliest opportunity, then any close friends in person when you next see them (and go out of your way to find them if no convenient opportunity arises early on). Once you've done that, a mass email to other colleagues.

Students are a bit trickier because time passes at a different rate for them, so if you tell them now and then stick around for another nine months they'll - not forget, exactly, but you'll probably end up giving those who care the shock of your departure twice, once when you tell them and once when you actually leave. Plus you don't want to disrupt any of them if they have important exams towards the end of this academic year. I would advise waiting until the end of this year before telling them, as it isn't relevant to their studies this academic year, and you might still be around at the start of the following one. By telling them at the end of this year though at least if you don't come back they'll know where you've gone, and won't feel like you left without saying a kind of goodbye.

However, I would advise asking your supervisor/admin people about protocol for this when you notify them. You should still tell your friends personally in any case, but they may have guidelines for how departing staff are handled and who is responsible for notifying staff/students/parents/etc. which could be disrupted by or cause difficulties for them if you proceed yourself without consulting them.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #4

If you're part of a union, I'd suggest discussing it with your union rep early in the process as well. They may know what the protocol usually is if this is a situation that's come up before.

Other than that, administrators and other teachers should know as soon as possible just to keep the rumor mill under control. See how other people at your school suggest you handle telling the students - they'll know your school culture much better than we will.

At the school I teach at, we have an extremely small staff and students often have the same teacher for years. Our English teacher is leaving at the end of this school year to move to another state for family reasons, and he told the staff at the beginning of the year but waited until this month to tell the students. (He was very clear with staff that he wasn't going to tell the students until sometime after Spring Break, and that his leaving was not public information until he made his announcement.)

I think it's better to tell students early in the process in a fairly low-key way, because it keeps the rumor mill under control and gives everyone time to get used to the idea. You can wait for a big send-off when you know when you're leaving, but letting them know that it's coming gives them time to adjust to the idea. (I've never done a big "farewell" party when I've left a teaching job, but I've also never been there for more than a year or two before I left. I've seen long-term teachers do various things depending on school culture and what kinds of relationships they'd built with the students. The one I saw as must unusual was the one who bought a catered barbecue snack for all of the students as part of her retirement party, which was served in the hallway by the office during an extra-long passing period between two of the afternoon classes. that was my first year teaching in that building, so I really didn't have a lot of the context for why that made sense to her.)

If your area has a lot of military families, the students will probably be used to the idea that adults come and go at arbitrary times because that's when the military has scheduled for them to go, and will probably take it in stride since it's not really that different than when the same thing happens to their parents or other adults in their lives. If you live in an area where few people are in the military, you may need to set aside some time to explain to at least some of the students why there's so much uncertainty around when you'll leave.

You don't have to give students the full reasoning behind why you're switching careers, but you should probably have some sort of reason prepared when they ask you why you're leaving them. I recommend finding something that's truthful and you're comfortable answering follow-up questions about, even if it's not going to be the whole, detailed truth for whatever reason. You don't need to lay out your reasons for the whole class, but some students will probably ask, and possibly not the students you thought would care.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I think it'd be okay for you to tell the co-workers you are close to, but it'd be best to tell your supervisor/the principal -- I'm not sure of the chain of command in a school -- first, or at least very soon after you tell others, so they don't hear it as a rumor and it give an impression you were hiding it.

I'm assuming that the higher-ups won't make hard on you for leaving. If you think that might not be the case... well, probably best to still be straight-forward and up-front about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    However, I would advise asking your supervisor/admin people about protocol for this when you notify them. You should still tell your friends personally in any case, but they may have guidelines for how departing staff are handled and who is responsible for notifying staff/students/parents/etc. which could be disrupted by or cause difficulties for them if you proceed yourself without consulting them.
    Agreeing with this regarding students and parents.
    And, as was also mentioned earlier, tell students in a way that won't interfere with their tests. I also think it might be good to wait to tell them, lest they stop taking you seriously as a teacher. Sort of like how students tend to disregard substitute teachers as legit authority, they might start to disregard you if they know you are leaving. Not all of them -- as it sounds like you are close to some or most of your students -- but I reckon at least a few would start ignoring you or acting out in a way that would derail the classroom and hurt everyone's learning.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If it were me I would let the ones closest to me know what was going on then talk to my boss, make sure that everything is finalized before going and telling the world. I mean it doesn't feel the best leaving people that you know and like (I know I've had to do it before too), but if its something that you need and/or want they will understand. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks for the responses all! They've been insightful.

One thing I forgot... I have to pass a medical test before I get approved, so I'll wait for that. I'll keep everyone updated :)
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Firstly, congratulations.

I think I disagree with the others. If you are very chummy with your students and basically one of their friends, I'd tell them. They're high school students, they need to learn to put on their big kid pants. Some might be genuinely miss you and trust you as a friend, albeit a distant one.

If you have a more professional relationship, I'd stick with telling them closer to the time of departure. But the point that students might get rowdy is a good point, so keep that in mind as well. In the end, you know your students, we don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

9. - Top - End - #9

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Firstly, congratulations.

I think I disagree with the others. If you are very chummy with your students and basically one of their friends, I'd tell them. They're high school students, they need to learn to put on their big kid pants. Some might be genuinely miss you and trust you as a friend, albeit a distant one.
    ...and when they hear rumors and find out from other sources, it could damage that trust. Even if you're not a friend to your students (I kind of hope not, actually), a good teacher who is well liked and respected is a role model and someone to admire. I'm sure you don't want additional pressure, but at the same time, being honest with your students and treating them respectfully by telling them in person and soon, instead of later, once the rumors have started flying, is probably the best strategy here.

Show them how adults handle difficult situations.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I agree with Razade.
    You do? Just like, in general? I've got you quoted as saying that now. It's on the record.

I think you meant Ruslan. But it's nice to know I'm in your thoughts.