New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Chapter 1: The Rise of the Ancients. (IC)

Tess begins moving through the village, sword drawn, just in case. She opens doors and steps into cottages, shops and homes in the hopes of finding survivors, but prepared for attackers.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+6)[9]

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    DM is reading, just waiting on us to make a decision as to what to do next.

Tess returns to the group, having not found anything. "I'm not finding any survivors. What was that you said about a valley and dragons, Denalian? Does anyone know the lay of the land locally? Are there any valleys? I'll have another go-round the village and see if I missed anything. Will someone have a look at the bodies and see if there's any indication of how they died?"

3. - Top - End - #333
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ukiah raised his hand, "I know a little of the western portion of the Dragonspine Range?"
    Tabhain faoi na réaltaí. “Reach for the stars.”

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: grrr....
    Show
    ok......*kicks computer and shakes it to knock loose the lack of emails saying there were new posts.*
    I just got a new job! *happy dance* gonna be a rough couple of weeks while I get my license, but then I'll of landed a Monday - Friday, 9-5 job!!!!!!!!!

The village is void of any living creatures, though you do finally find some small foot prints in the mud leading deeper into the woods along with drags marks, you think you could fairly easily follow the marks for a good distance.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

Show
    Congratulations! With every passing moment, you are becoming one of us.
    One of us.
    One of us.
    One of us.
    One of us.

After the tracks were pointed out to Plinius (he certainly didn't find them himself) he advocates following them, at least a short while.
    "...But shouldn't one of us scout ahead? Just so we're safe. We wouldn't want to walk blindly into a trap, would we?

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nodding in agreement;
    "Makes sense... I can do it. I'm not the best at following tracks, but I probably have the least chance of being spotted. I'll scout ahead; Wait here maybe a half an hour and then if I'm not back start following the tracks. "

Garrett tries to stealthily follow the path, keeping his eye out for traps and ambushes.

Hide: (1d20+13)[28]
    Move silently: (1d20+11)[29]
    Perception: (1d20+7)[14]
    Survival(to track): (1d20+2)[17]

7. - Top - End - #337
    Dwarf in the Playground

Around the 25 minute mark Garrett returns, his hooded cloak pulled up to keep out the rain. He tries to look serious and professional, but is unable to completely hide his excitement at the prospect of doing some proper hero type stuff, the kind of thing minstrels write songs about.

"At least a dozen goblins holed up in a cave maybe ten minutes up the trail. One really big one. They seemed to be arguing about whether or not to keep looting and pillaging for someone or something else, or to go into 'business' for themselves. The big one seemed to think 'she' would eat them if they didn't keep doing her biding. I didn't hear anything else after the rain started and they went back into the cave. If there are survivors they will probably be in there. They left two on guard duty at the mouth of the cave, so I decided not to risk going in to check it out. I don't think I was spotted. "
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-09-07 at 01:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Let's get them out and to safety. We can question the culprits once we have them secured."
    Tabhain faoi na réaltaí. “Reach for the stars.”

9. - Top - End - #339

"Brave. But if you think we can do it, then let's go. I can cast my spell of protection when we're almost there. And I've a little spell prepared for that 'big one'."
    Plinius is not very eager to head into danger, but his fears are dismissed as he is almost giddy to finally use one of his necromantic spells on a real enemy.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

"That's a lot of goblins for us to take. We need a plan if we're seriously thinking about this. But we should plan fast if they have hostages there's no telling how long they have." Tess thinks for a minute, her body moving through her usual awkward shrug that looks casual to the outsider; just a kid adjusting ill-fitting armor but in truth, she's adjusting her chest bindings. "How about we draw them out, create a distraction of some kind back this way and come at them from the sides in a pincer attack?"

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hmm. An ambush. Could work... If we can take out the two guards without raising the alarm my goblin might be good enough that I can shout down the tunnel and get the others to walk into your trap... "

12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    So, I'm thinking the wizard and I (and the fighter and monk too if we hook them up with ranged weapons?) might be able to drop the two guards in a surprise round before they can raise an alarm. Then we have ten goblins to deal with, not 12.

From there I try and trick a small group out into an ambush with a bluff check and my ability to speak goblin, hopefully drawing maybe half of them, so that in the end we are only dealing with 4-5 goblins at a time...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-09-13 at 03:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343

Show
    'The wizard' has one offensive spell (negated by one decent will save) and a crossbow. With no sneak.
    Only a good / lucky hit will take out a goblin. However, 2 shots each at every guard might have a good chance to take them out before they know what hit 'em. Question is, how are we going to hook them up with ranged weapons?
    We got any spares lying around?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PH7 View Post
    We got any spares lying around?
    I know the goblins we killed on the way in to the elven village were carrying ranged weapons. We discussed selling the loot people didn't want and splitting the profits, but IIRC we got distracted by the quest to save the little boy from the ransacked farm and I don't think we ever actually got around to selling the looted goblin gear. They would be small, but they are theoretically usable by medium creatures.

Or I suppose if anyone has a point or two in craft weapons we could try to make a few wooden throwing spears/ javelins or some simple slings.

It's also possible their characters already have ranged weapons and we just hasn't seen them used yet. Monks are proficient with shurikens I think, and slings are a cheap and lightweight ranged weapon that most classes are proficient with.
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-09-13 at 03:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I assume there might be some weapons laying around right here in this village too, or perhaps still in the homes, since they seem to have been rather surprised/ambushed. Perhaps a quick reconnaissance of the dead and the houses for some ranged weapons? Two attacks per sentry goblin are decent odds that we'll be able to (hopefully) take them out. I like the idea of the bluff to draw a few more out and then take on whatever's left. That sounds like a decent plan! Now to search for some ranged weapons...

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

"If we're gonna take out the sentries, we're gonna need bows or something we can use from a distance." Tess takes quick stock of her companions and realizes the group is woefully short of said weapons. "I'll see what I can find." She starts searching near bodies and in homes for useful crossbows and longbows primarily, but will settle for throwing spears, or anything else that might be used effectively as a ranged weapon. Once inside one of the houses, she takes some extra time.

Spoiler: OOC for DM
    Show
    Once inside one of the houses, Tess takes some extra time to remove her chest armor and shirt and adjust her chest bindings, which were chafing particularly bad. She must have put them on incorrectly this morning. ((Do with that as you will...))

Spoiler: Perception roll for weapons search
    Show

(1d20+6)[12]

17. - Top - End - #347
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garrett nods to Tess producing a small dagger which he throws into a nearby wooden object with a meaty thud;
    "I have a spare throwing knife someone can use, but it's kind of small for you big types, the range isn't great so you have to sneak up pretty close, and i only have the one... "

Garrett leaves the knife in the wood in case any of his companions want to take it, and starts searching the goblin village for spare ranged weapons as well, beginning with the contents of the wagon full of trade goods that they brought with them and then moving on to check bodies and homes.
    Spoiler: Perception Roll
    Show
    Perception:(1d20+7)[21]
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-09-14 at 02:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: Perception roll for weapons search, indoors
    Show

I figured two search rolls might be necessary, if not, disregard.
    (1d20+6)[14]

19. - Top - End - #349
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: dasniper comment...
    Show
    After a conversation with this person in RL, I've come to a conclusion that they misunderstood something.....That dwarf has gone to the afterlife, nothing short of a rez spell will bring him back.....you've never seen that symbol or know which clan it might belong to.

Tes and garrett, you scour the entire village, you find little in the way of usable weapons, the ones left behind are smashed beyond reasonable repair. Garrett, while exploring, you "find" an exquisite long bow hanging in the elves home in a place of honor. At first glance it looks more decorative then practical, but if you pull it down you notice the fine quality and expert workmanship of the weapon. You even manage to pull it slightly without to much problem despite its size compared to yourself.

you also find a strange backpack slightly hidden as well, well worn, and obviously been used, and has even been patched up in numerous places. looking inside furthers the mystery, as you see literally nothing....just an empty black hole.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garrett's insatiable curiosity gets the better of him... He sticks his arm into the backpacks black hole, grasping around blindly...

(1d100)[73]

21. - Top - End - #351
    Orc in the Playground

After groping around for a bit your hand grasps something and with only a mild pull, you pull out.....

a bridle with reins attached?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well... That's... Strange.

Garrett pockets the bridle to examine later, throws the pack over a shoulder, and pulls down the bow, returning to the party to show off his finds.

"This bow should help... And these finds are interesting...?"
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-09-20 at 09:59 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Halfling in the Playground

Denalian closes the eyes of the poor deceased.

"May Kol'Nari bring you swiftly and safetly to your due place..."

He stands up and looks up at Tess "'t wasnt me that said about the dragons 'n the valleys, but the poor fellow over here. whatever it was, it was worth his final words, and I think we should heed it as a warning."

Show
    Sorry for the long wait between me posting. Its been busy as all get out here at college.

24. - Top - End - #354

Plinius taps his fingers against his forearm. "If you're done searching the houses, perhaps we can go after the culprits?"

Show
    posting to keep the thread alive...

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

We're at an impasse, it seems. We need either more information from our GM, or a post to further the direction we are already going. Otherwise, we're rather dead in the water.
    Last edited by tschel23; 2017-10-02 at 12:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    grrrr......*angrily shakes email server for lack of post updates* I'm just gonna push things along...

you manage to follow the path to the cave, the temp is definitely dropping as the rain turns from a light drizzle to a more steady downpour. The canopy of the trees above you lessen you getting to soaked, but the moisture is making things uncomfortable.

The entrance to the cave leads back into the side of a hill, and the glow of a fire is seen reflecting off the cave walls. 2 shadows can be seen flickering against the walls, but the weather is working in your favor, since the guards seem happier to be inside guarding rather than outside.

27. - Top - End - #357

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlon
    grrrr......*angrily shakes email server for lack of post updates* I'm just gonna push things along...
    Maybe just check subscriptions?
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlon
    ...the weather is working in your favor, since the guards seem happier to be inside guarding rather than outside.
    Considering I just walked about 15 minutes through the pouring rain, I don't blame them. So guys... as discussed? Divide in 2 groups, each of trying to take out our chosen target and hope to kill 'em before they raise the alarm?

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Sounds good. I have my crossbow.
    I can't remember what ranged weapons the other characters said they had... I think someone, maybe the wizard, had a crossbow? And we found a longbow (do we have any arrows?) for someone to use and I offered up some throwing knives for anyone else who needs a ranged weapon.

Garrett loads his repeating crossbow and makes sure it's bayonet is in place, and then gets ready to sneak into a range where he can use it to deadly effect. He makes a shushing gesture, putting a single finger to his lips and then silently points to the wizard and himself and then the guard on the left before pointing to the fighter and monk and jabbing a finger at the guard on the right, waiting for nods of confirmation from his companions before proceeding with the plan.
    Last edited by golahm; 2017-10-10 at 10:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am sorry for delays guys, this new job is kicking my ass, and I'm trying to get ready for a convention this weekend (selling things as well as geeking out).

My next convention isn't till February so I'll have more time to post when not working 2 jobs.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Show
    Unless the DM says otherwise I'll assume we have a half dozen arrows or so. Tess can take the long bow if nobody else wants it.

Tess moves cautiously to one side of the cave opening, moving as carefully as she can.

Spoiler: Move Silently die roll
    Show

Harr, a fighter moving silently...
    (1d20+3)[4]