New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Venom - Turd in the Wind

I have not seen this movie yet and I'm not looking for spoilers either, but people who have seen it? What's your thoughts? Who's going to go see it? I'm warily excited to be honest but everything I've heard so far hasn't really been promising which is a bummer.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Venom - Turd in the Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I have not seen this movie yet and I'm not looking for spoilers either, but people who have seen it? What's your thoughts? Who's going to go see it? I'm warily excited to be honest but everything I've heard so far hasn't really been promising which is a bummer.
    Critics dumped on it but the audience reaction has been quite positive.

Me personally, it was a movie with flaws but I enjoyed it, and it was a HECK of a lot better than the portrayal of Venom from Spiderman 3.

I'd say a solid 7.5/10, worth seeing once if you enjoy superhero movies. Overall plot was a bit weak, villain was moronic, romance plot was YAWN, fight scenes were good (but wish they'd made it rated R), loved the dialogue between the character and the Venom symbiote.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-10-05 at 07:59 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post

Me personally, it was a movie with flaws but I enjoyed it, and it was a HECK of a lot better than the portrayal of Venom from Spiderman 3.

I'd say a solid 7.5/10, worth seeing once if you enjoy superhero movies. Overall plot was a bit weak, villain was moronic, romance plot was YAWN, fight scenes were good (but wish they'd made it rated R), loved the dialogue between the character and the Venom symbiote.
    That sounds fine to me. From what I've heard the acting is pretty good but if I get something I enjoy out of it, I don't mind if its critically bad.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a horror movie that turns back into a Marvel movie halfway through. Not much else to say about it, good or bad.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I think the main problem that is going to arise from this, is that it's guilty of not being a Marvel movie.

If it was flown under the Marvel Banner it would be given A LOT more leeway.

That being said, I liked it. It has its problems. Like Deadpool, going into the movie I was wondering how they were going to reconcile his willingness to kill. I don't know.. I would like to go more into it, but that would be kind of spoiler-y... So

I feel a 6/10 isn't a bad score.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    I think the main problem that is going to arise from this, is that it's guilty of not being a Marvel movie.

If it was flown under the Marvel Banner it would be given A LOT more leeway.

That being said, I liked it. It has its problems. Like Deadpool, going into the movie I was wondering how they were going to reconcile his willingness to kill. I don't know.. I would like to go more into it, but that would be kind of spoiler-y... So

I feel a 6/10 isn't a bad score.
    Go ahead and do spoilers and such, just use the spoiler boxes is all. This is one of the movies I want to go into blind as possible!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I saw it and liked it. It is a little dated in form, it would have been really good a decade ago but doesn't add much except Hardy to the superhero genre. Hardy was great though.

Spoiler: Hardy Spoilers
    Show

Hardy works really hard to not play the traditional Tom Hardy tough guy, and it worked really well for me. He makes his gait bowlegged, slumps and rounds his shoulders, makes his voice lighter and loses the phlegmy quality he often gives it. The result is he looks smaller and is not even slightly imposing, which I thought was very good acting for a guy who plays imposing as a default.

Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-10-06 at 01:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I went to see it with a mate last night and we both greatly enjoyed it. I think we both rated it as better than Deadpool 2 but not quite as good as Deadpool 1.

It's a dark comedy and very funny,and we thought it really well done.

Now what it isn't is a film of the comics, but since it is a Sony movie (they may have done an agreement to get spiderman back into the MCU but they retain the rest of the spiderman IP) it was never going to be a film of the comics. What it is, is an excellent film inspired by the comics. They may eventually link it in to a wider comic book universe, but for the moment it is essentially it's own world.

It is worth knowing that there are two easter eggs buries in the credits, the first hints at a possible sequel and the second is an excerpt "in another universe" from 'Into the Spiderverse' (and not one shown in any trailers I have seen) - if you are not interested in ItS it is safe to skip the second segment..

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    It is worth knowing that there are two easter eggs buries in the credits, the first hints at a possible sequel and the second is an excerpt "in another universe" from 'Into the Spiderverse' (and not one shown in any trailers I have seen) - if you are not interested in ItS it is safe to skip the second segment..
    This film will probably be miles better than Venom

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I would say that Venom is not a good movie, but it is fun. Often it is even fun in the way that the filmmakers intended.

The edits are hella choppy, and you can see the seams where they sliced all the R-rated stuff out, and I really think that there was a fistfight in the writer's room about whether this was a grim, serious action-horror or a quirky black comedy, and no one actually won that fight.

But overall it's worth it if you just want to have a blast and shift between laughing with and laughing at it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    I would say that Venom is not a good movie, but it is fun. Often it is even fun in the way that the filmmakers intended.
    This is my summary as well.

Venom's biggest problem is it seems unfinished. The VFX feel like something other than a final render. The dialogue needed another pass. The editing is kinda choppy in places. But the core skeleton of the film is a good one and the fun chemistry actually does work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    It's a horror movie that turns back into a Marvel movie halfway through. Not much else to say about it, good or bad.
    Is there a villain of the week from the comics? Also Stan Lee cameo?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

It's best viewed as a hybrid Black Comedy/Action Comedy that happens to have superhero movie trappings than as a straight Superhero flick.

Not all of the comedy is intended, but...

I'm not gonna say it's a faithful adaption, becuase you can't faithfully adapt Venom without Spider-Man--the Symbiote and hosts are all intimately tied up into the Spider-Man Lore...

But this is based on Venom as he was in the 90s. The Lethal Protector. The 90s Anti-Hero.

And it has the Good of being a 90s antihero and the Narm of a 90s anti-hero. The scene in the trailer of Venom forming a handpupet of itself to talk to Eddie when they're telepathic cominication and that's not nessesary? The "so many snacks, so little time?" line that people made fun of? Those are both taken straight from the comics and while "Turd in the Wind" is not, it's very much something that 90s Venom would have said.

So tonally speaking, it's rather faithful.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #14

I saw it the other night, and I'd see it every night it's out, if I could afford to. I'm buying it the second it hits retail shelves.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Is there a villain of the week from the comics? Also Stan Lee cameo?
    Stan Lee cameo at the very end.

The main villain in the movie is

Spoiler
    Show
    Another symbiote and character from the comics Riot - although they've completely dropped the comic book line that Venom is Riot's father, here they're just 2 symbiotes with Riot superior to Venom both in rank and in abilities. I mean technically Riot's riding a minor character Carlton Drake but he literally may as well be named Evil Corporate CEO, he has no character development, spouts mindless tag lines, and is functionally a plot device rather than a character.

The stinger at the end of the movie has Woody Harrelson playing Cletus Kassidy, but he all but explicitly says he's going to be Carnage, which was one of the longest-running symbiote enemies of Venom in the comics.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    This is my summary as well.

Venom's biggest problem is it seems unfinished. The VFX feel like something other than a final render. The dialogue needed another pass. The editing is kinda choppy in places. But the core skeleton of the film is a good one and the fun chemistry actually does work.
    It sounds like it would be greatly improved by a Director's Cut. Maybe that's something they'll do down the line, that certainly sounds like something to which I could look forward.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

17. - Top - End - #17

It's like the Spawn movie made today: faithful to the comics but still sort of embarrassed to be a comic-book movie, I felt it tries to be more like an 80s or 90s action movie. It didn't really cut it for me, because to me Venom has always been one of the most fun Marvel characters and I feel I got a discount version, but I can see people going in and enjoying it.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    This film will probably be miles better than Venom
    I see what you did there

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    It's like the Spawn movie made today: faithful to the comics but still sort of embarrassed to be a comic-book movie, I felt it tries to be more like an 80s or 90s action movie. It didn't really cut it for me, because to me Venom has always been one of the most fun Marvel characters and I feel I got a discount version, but I can see people going in and enjoying it.
    Having only seen the trailer, but that is what came to mind when seeing the trailer.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm glad I didn't get around to buying a ticket.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    I see what you did there
    Sony is going to do a Miles Spiderman?

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Sony is going to do a Miles Spiderman?
    They're already doing it. The film is called "Spider-Man: into the Spider-Verse" and looks epic.

Miles will be the main character but they're bringing other Spider guys, like one who's similar to the Raimi version, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man Noir, SP//DR, and Spider-Ham.
    Last edited by Zmeoaice; 2018-10-08 at 10:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zmeoaice View Post
    SP//DR
    Kinda.

The Peni Parker and SP//DR in the comics is a somber teenager in a setting derived from cyberpunk anime and a teensy bit of Super Robot anime(VN#M gives me Devil Gundam vibes when it eats Addie. Th'ts like, taken straight from Devil Gundam's inards) wih her robot, SP//DR, being a pretty blatant Evangelion Shout out.

Peni in the movie is a cheerful little girl in a Kawaisa art style with a more cartoony robot the "Deal With It" shades LED heavily implies that her universe is very tonally differant from main Peni's world.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post

I think the critics were mostly right. Too much "development" early...horribly paper-thin characters (Hardy included) that don't even manage to present themselves as good versions of paper-thin 1-beat characters. Hardy continues to disappoint (me) in his adaptations, but I may be on an island on this one. The whispery-scratch voice was better than what he did to Bane, but that's only because getting hit in the stomach with a 2x4 is better than getting hit in the head with a 2x4. The fake science could have been done much better. The only way Drake made a multi-billion-dollar company was that it was in the script, because no part of him suggests genius (evil or otherwise) as much as it does "inheritance child/trust fund baby running daddy's company and hiring goons he thinks look tough".

Once it gets to Venom time, though, it gets much better and much more fun. Still have some serious issues with those paper-thin characters, but that's okay. We also get the best tertiary character in the doctor.

Decent effects, much better timing on lines. Good enough for $6.

I totally don't get this. It was never a horror movie...it wasn't even going to be semi-slasher horror like The Thing (the closest in pure reference). At most it was set to be sci-fi-suspense, but when your instrument of "horror" is the protagonist in an action-based movie, it can't ever really be horror in my opinion.

Re: PG13 vs R: Nope, it would not have been improved by making it R-rated. More f-bombs, boobs and gore splatter wasn't going to make the movie any better and it was going to eliminate far more audience than the few "adults" who were going to pass on PG13 but were going to line up for R. Just because Deadpool worked at R doesn't mean every other movie has to do the same thing.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    I totally don't get this. It was never a horror movie...it wasn't even going to be semi-slasher horror like The Thing (the closest in pure reference). At most it was set to be sci-fi-suspense, but when your instrument of "horror" is the protagonist in an action-based movie, it can't ever really be horror in my opinion.
    It didn't become the protagonist until about an hour in, though (the apartment fight, roughly), and the movie didn't treat it as a protagonist-in-waiting up to that point, so the only way to say things like "going to be" and "set to be" is relying on the outside fact of it being a Marvel adaptation. If you consider the mechanics of the movie on its own, I think my description holds up.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2018-10-08 at 01:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

It didn't become the protagonist until about an hour in, though (the apartment fight, roughly), and the movie didn't treat it as a protagonist-in-waiting up to that point, so the only way to say things like "going to be" and "set to be" is relying on the outside fact of it being a Marvel adaptation. If you consider the mechanics of the movie on its own, I think my description holds up.
    Okay, I hear you. But even if we approach it in a vacuum...it's a movie called "Symbiosis" or something like that, no connection to any existing characters or franchises, and no trailers that show it working with a human...even then, we've basically just got "The Thing, Take Four". That had some suspense and drama, but it was still never horror...even with the gore it had at the time. I think we would have needed a lot more deaths of sympathetic characters, an intimate connection to a lead, a completely different pacing and totally different cinematography. Beyond the first sequence in the forest and maybe the little girl going into the bathroom everything was too bright, clean and even sterile.

I guess it is a matter of semantics...had you said "started out as sci-fi suspense (or even sci-fi monster) and then flipped to full Marvel movie" I probably wouldn't have blinked.

- M
    Last edited by Mordar; 2018-10-08 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Fixed a too
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I think it was fine. Not a good Venom movie but a decent movie on its own (as people pointed out, Venom without Spidey is kind of doomed to fail)
    There was a definite lack of action early on, and some of the logic / coincidences in the story were pretty bad (also, -ing science man. MRI doesn't use sonic waves, but I'm sure someone will tell me it works on symbiotes in the comics (also also, apparently they switched from symb-eye-ote to symb-ee-ote since the trailer))
    But I think the acting was fine (except I'm not sure if Ms Williams in the first ten minutes was intentionally bad) the characters were okay and the humor... Worked sometimes. I'm not sure if I can say more often than not, because I didn't laugh at many jokes but some. Especially the Venom dialogue felt forced at times (at least one joke got the whole audience, though) (and I'm sure they didn't invent it but I still had to think of TFS' Picollo way too often)
    I'm not sure if the CG was meant to look like it did but.. I didn't mind. I think it's fine for Venom to look alien, though I'd say overall it was a little too dark, lighting wise.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, probably less to hard-core comic fans but as a dark-ish comedy-ish action movie it works well enough.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

DrowGirl

I saw Venom a few days ago and thought it was an alright standard action movie, 7/10. Liked the interaction between Hardy and Venom. Pretty good action scenes as well.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by candys View Post
    I saw Venom a few days ago and thought it was an alright standard action movie, 7/10. Liked the interaction between Hardy and Venom. Pretty good action scenes as well.
    The banter between Eddie and Venom is the highlight of the movie, for sure. And the action scenes were, in my own personal, subjective opinion, better-done than the grand majority of the MCU's action. I actually knew what was happening at all times during all of them, which shouldn't be as big of a deal as it is.

I'll be going to see it again this weekend, and I hope the theater isn't as empty as most of my repeat viewings have been. This movie deserves to be packed, all the way to its final showing.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by candys View Post
    That line is hilarious.

Because the voice of Venom is actually.... Tom Hardy.

So you either have to say interaction between Eddie and Venom, or the interaction between Hardy and Hardy.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!